Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ya'll got any trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

that really needed an actual Al Gore cameo

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There’s Stefan :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I am okay with this new What's Up With That. :hai:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
NOT MY GUCCI SHOES

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did their director or someone in the booth loving die?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Kinda uneven tonight.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Did their director or someone in the booth loving die?
two tech errors in the back half: not having the promos ready and keeping the show in black for like 5 seconds after Simon’s second song, and the bigger one, putting the bumper up (a visual cue for local stations to run their break) and then starting another sketch. My station cut back to the show a few seconds into that break. For once, a commercial fuckup that WASN’T their fault.

Then putting that awful whatever-that-sketch-is on for the third time, and for the third time, it’s crammed in there when there is not really time for it, so it just has that horrible, rushed, manic pacing.

Then barely having any time for goodnights. Not unusual, but that sketch was not worth it.

It’s as though, they had decided to drop the TREES pretape, then as the director’s putting up the bumper, someone burst in and demanded ROLL IT

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

That's the third time? I only remember that sketch being done with Ryan Gosling. I kinda like it, but I felt bad for Kenan on this one because he had to put it on 1.5 playback and EVERYTHINGWASRUSHED

pwn
May 27, 2004

Red Boots was the first one, with Martin Freeman, in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQm5rL2gokc

His precious clothing with Gosling was his GOOD JEANS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWUCOWSet24

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

pwn posted:

Red Boots was the first one, with Martin Freeman, in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQm5rL2gokc

His precious clothing with Gosling was his GOOD JEANS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWUCOWSet24

I’m glad they brought this back. It makes me laugh pretty hard every time.

Overall better than I expected. Seth was pretty much just there though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I might be the only fans of Jonah Hill's "six-year-old who acts like an old Jewish man" character, so we really hope they do another one of those sketches when he hosts in two weeks. Aside from Stefon, that might be our favorite recurring SNL character of the century.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
TMZ is reporting that Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande have broken up and called off the engagement. :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I might be the only fans of Jonah Hill's "six-year-old who acts like an old Jewish man" character, so we really hope they do another one of those sketches when he hosts in two weeks. Aside from Stefon, that might be our favorite recurring SNL character of the century.

Hill gave us Allen Gregory. I will never forgive him for that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Everyone saying they couldn't remember a good Seth Meyers sketch has shamefully forgotten about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtjj7AxxiU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, I wonder if Pete is gonna talk about this next week:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Josh Lyman posted:

Welp, I wonder if Pete is gonna talk about this next week:

This sounds more fun: http://popcrush.com/pete-davidson-thanks-ariana-grande-for-sex/

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The next new episode isn't until November 3rd and enough crazy poo poo in the world will have happened by then for them to not feel an obligation to address it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh hey and the full Trees! was actually pretty funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V981RXcmH8

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Hill gave us Allen Gregory. I will never forgive him for that.

This. A thousand times this. I think that was the very first show that I ever bothered to go online and do a whole hate-rant about. Just awful in every single way, and it was so hyped. Then Hill did some interview where he called the show "a punk rock show," and punk rock (the genre of music) blushed with shame.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

TMZ is reporting that Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande have broken up and called off the engagement. :(

The only thing surprising about this is why it was only announced now. It was rumored to be why she canceled last minute on the season opener. At least it's probably for the best, everything about their relationship read as two co-dependent people smashing into each other.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh hey and the full Trees! was actually pretty funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V981RXcmH8
Yeah that definitely added much-needed context.

And the goodnights got kinda sweet immediately after the live show went off-air:

https://vimeo.com/295095605

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

tarlibone posted:

This. A thousand times this. I think that was the very first show that I ever bothered to go online and do a whole hate-rant about. Just awful in every single way, and it was so hyped. Then Hill did some interview where he called the show "a punk rock show," and punk rock (the genre of music) blushed with shame.

I think it's very punk rock for people to not realize they aren't supposed to like the characters that are being portrayed.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

I think it's very punk rock for people to not realize they aren't supposed to like the characters that are being portrayed.

Yeah, I realized I'm not supposed to like the main characters. The show was still pure poo poo.

Some shows can have horrible characters take center stage and still be funny. Allen Gregory wasn't one of them. It failed on all levels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Allen Gregory was a hate crime against television

Also the Ariana Grande news reminded me that Andy Samberg is with Joanna Newsome which is still something I'm having trouble imagining

It's like if you told me that Leslie Jones was dating Andrew Eldritch

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The only thing surprising about this is why it was only announced now. It was rumored to be why she canceled last minute on the season opener. At least it's probably for the best, everything about their relationship read as two co-dependent people smashing into each other.
I dunno, can't imagine he'd have gone full gushing on weekend update if that was true and I imagine he'd have some idea before the media does.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54cJJJzH8ds

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight!

10:00/9:00c: SNL Vintage - Bill Hader with Hozier (O.A.D.: 2014.10.11)
11:29:30/10:29:30c: SNL Presents: Halloween
12:35:50/11:35:50c: The David S. Pumpkins Halloween Special

Yeah, I didn't make up those start times. Just reporting them.

This is the same programming that they did for Halloween Saturday last year, except that now the David S. Pumpkins show comes after the clipshow, rather than before it, as seen in this promotional graphic.

Nice writeup of tonight's proceedings from Interrobang:

quote:

Starting tonight at 11:30pm on NBC, Saturday Night Live begins a bewitching hour of its scary funny comedy with SNL Presents: Halloween. This best-of hour of SNL‘s biggest Halloween laughs first debuted last season. And we’ll see tonight if any of the original sketches that were first included in this hour get swapped out for an updated version. It would certainly work if the SNL – Digital Short from this season’s Seth Meyers hosted show called “A Frightening Tale” featuring a group of adult campers sitting around a fire with Seth Meyers telling a true horror story about being stuck at lunch with a recently graduated film student who drones on and on about the current state of cinema, made the new cut. Scary! There’s also the jazz trio sketch from the same episode entitled “Halloween Gig” which might also fit in nicely.

Of course, the more likely scenario is that Lorne Michaels feels SNL Presents: Halloween is perfect just the way it is and we’re getting the same Halloween special as last year. It’s filled with some of the funniest Halloween-themed sketches chosen from over 43 seasons. Some go way back to Saturday Night Live‘s beginnings with a sketch featuring Dan Aykroyd as sleazy toy manufacturer Irwin Mainway who’s being taken to task over his very dangerous kids costumes in an expose by interviewer Jane Curtin. There’s also some from the past decade including Bill Hader doing the best Vincent Price impression going today as the now late master of horror, hosting his own Halloween special. Then there’s the very recent SNL – Digital Shorts including the very popular short “A Girl’s Halloween” which shows what it’s like for a group of young women who head out into the night for a Halloween full of partying and great expectations only to have drunken reality set in. It features a brilliant comedic performance from SNL cast member Aidy Bryant. The other SNL – Digital Short we’ll see tonight is called “Kellywise” which stars cast member Kate McKinnon as White House adviser Kellyanne Conway terrorizing CNN’s Anderson Cooper in a parody of “Pennywise,” the evil clown from the horror hit movie, “It.” Because there’s nothing truly scarier than the current administration being in charge of a our country’s fate. And that’s just the first hour from tonight’s Saturday Night Live.

The last 30 minutes from SNL‘s allotted late night time slot goes to a cartoon special that debuted last year, The David S. Pumpkins Animated Halloween Special. The half hour cartoon was spun-off from a hilariously goofy character created by Tom Hanks on SNL in 2016 when he hosted the show during SNL – Season 42. The character originally appeared in a sketch simply titled “Haunted Elevator.” In the sketch, SNL cast member Beck Bennett and Kate McKinnon are a couple enjoying a Halloween haunted ride at a fair where each time the elevator door opens, a new scary scene appears. That is until it opens on David S. Pumpkins’ floor. That’s when the silliness of this sketch kicks in as we see Hanks in a black suit covered in jack-o-lanterns with a dark perm and a patch of white hair a la the Bride of Frankenstein. Pumpkins isn’t scary. He’s just dancing with two sassy sidekicks dressed like skeletons played by cast members Mikey Day and Bobby Moynihan. The couple is confused and wondering what exactly it is that they’re staring at. The sketch made no sense, but it was an instant hit with SNL fans and on social media. The David S. Pumpkins craze had Halloween stores selling out of his trademark suit which instantly became a must-have costume. And a Halloween classic was born.

Tonight’s David S. Pumpkins Animated Halloween Special features the voices of Tom Hanks, Mikey Day and Bobby Moynihan who all also appear in the flesh to introduce the special. Day and Moynihan also co-wrote the special with Saturday Night Live veteran writer Streeter Seidell. Emmy Award winning actor Peter Dinklage also is part of the voice cast. The special which is every much for adults as it could be for kids, focuses on a young brother and sister who learn the meaning of Halloween in spite of David S. Pumpkins trying to help them after he appears in his magic elevator along with his skeleton friends when the kids choose the worst looking pumpkin at a Halloween pumpkin farm.

You can see promos, both live-action and in cartoon form, for The David S. Pumpkins Animated Halloween Special below. Please note, these are the promos from when the special originally ran in 2017, so the date is wrong on the end graphics.

The Halloween comedy all starts tonight at 11:30pm on NBC with SNL Presents: Halloween followed by The David S. Pumpkins Animated Halloween Special starring Tom Hanks.

Next weekend, Saturday Night Live returns with a new live show on Saturday, November 3rd starring host Academy Award nominee Jonah Hill, who will be joining the SNL 5-Timers Club, plus musical guest Maggie Rogers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm guessing we probably won't be seeing Baldwin as Trump tomorrow night:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1058423752101412864

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DaveWoo posted:

So I'm guessing we probably won't be seeing Baldwin as Trump tomorrow night:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1058423752101412864

Wouldn't he be able to post bail? It's just simple assault, right?

/Of course, this is kind of a habit of his...

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Maybe they'll have Trump play Alec Baldwin.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Solkanar512 posted:

Wouldn't he be able to post bail? It's just simple assault, right?

/Of course, this is kind of a habit of his...

If a punch landed, it's assault and battery. Assault only covers the attempt and/or threat to injure someone.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Or maybe we'll actually get Atamanuik as Trump. Perchance to dream...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"Joining us with a unique perspective, please welcome this barrel of sulfuric acid."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Laterite posted:

Or maybe we'll actually get Atamanuik as Trump. Perchance to dream...

It would be so glorious...too bad Lorne burned that bridge and then had Alec piss on the ashes.

https://twitter.com/PresidentShow/status/1054844402114445312

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Propaganda Machine posted:

If a punch landed, it's assault and battery. Assault only covers the attempt and/or threat to injure someone.

He was charged with assault and harrassment, and released with a desk appearance ticket, so it's possible--however unlikely--that he makes tonight's show (and if he's in New York, it's likely because of SNL, as that's usually the only reason he travels there).

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

They should just skip a Trump cold open and do the Jacob Wohl press conference

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mons Hubris posted:

:five:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Mons Hubris posted:

How would they make it funnier than real life?

Also where’s pwn he’s always a step ahead with the threads and links :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mons Hubris posted:

They should make it like a wizard of oz parody. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

• Locked thread