Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the real question is if the ai changes actually made it good this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Playing some 7.00 I think I think I really like some of the new small touches. More refined turret controls are nice, but it would be really nice if there was a "Target missiles, then fighters" option. I need to play with it more and see what it does if you use "target fighters first" or "target missiles first"

I really think the Xenon H is neat, but they definitely will have to rebalance boarding. It seems they spawn with a range of skill and it remains to be seen if it also levels up. I also captured one and it had a Xenon M in it's fleet, which also became mine. It's neat to dock one and look at the front where it kind of looks like a strange face.

I'm apparently very bad at making profits from my stations so I'm still not in range of the new mode.

I think the Xenon did get a bump in aggression in my existing universe though, my station holding the one way gate out of the Yaki sector is suddenly much spicier with three Xenon capitals zoning in at a time where previously they just marched in one by one to be disassembled.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
It's hard to quantify the AI changes, I started a new game and was surprised when doing the Terran Yaki missions that the Split had made serious headway into settling Tharkas Cascade, and that Argon Prime was under serious threat from a Split Raptor. Your M mining fleet is a hell of a lot more durable to Kha'ak sector incursion ( of dozens of plutus's mining ice in Nopelio's Fortune II I've lost maybe 2 and have comfortably put off replacing them with L miners ). The new Pirate sectors are knee deep in mineral resources and I lost more ships ( including L miners ) to the SCA harassers that plague the systems before I blacklisted them as not worth the effort. Cap ships still seem of incapable of assaulting stations without serious sacrifice and if you give an Asgard the task of attacking a Kha'ak Ravager, it's already dead - but if you can fly a Rattlesnake or Syn, you're better off dealing with it yourself. I've capped an SCA Behemoth E but am yet to try it out for myself, apparently they don't review well - turret placement appears to be their problem - the Pheonix E does review well but some folks have reported problems trying to fly them themselves. SCA haven't deigned to drop one off outside my stations for me to try yet. I've managed to find and kill a Xenon H to unlock the research ( apparently it won't unlock all required Xenon equipment blueprints ) but I haven't managed to get any Xenon M ships to bail ( the better piracy mod doesn't play nice with 7.0 yet so you'll want to uninstall it - harass function doesn't work and no ships will bail with the mod active even if you don't use the harass action ).
It's a first beta, and not an update I'd recommend to first time players or folks who haven't played in a while. The new manager offices break ( or at least are speed bumps ) most story line missions that involve you talking to someone in their office, auto pricing is whack as reported up thread ( also protectyon pricing is an issue for the Riptide Rakers ), but I do like a lot of the changes and new features.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
We have Beta 2!

quote:

[Beta 2] Added Weapons and Turrets tutorial (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Added Inventory and Crafting tutorial (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Added docking UI in external view.
[Beta 2] Improved Flee behaviour when fleeing ship was moving rapidly to distant destination prior to fleeing.
[Beta 2] Improved station-based trader handling of ware shortages.
[Beta 2] Improved balancing of several newly introduced ships (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed Gride talking about toolbox when the Paranid story already progressed past that stage.
[Beta 2] Fixed PAR stations in Cardinal's Domain not transferring to Trinity in existing saves (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed story missions requesting player to deliver resources becoming blocked under certain circumstances.
[Beta 2] Fixed ships that are unable to inflict damage potentially deciding to fight in response to attack.
[Beta 2] Fixed not being able to dock at some stations in new clusters when loading older saves (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed tug ships being unable to deliver scrap to stations without a suitable dock for them.
[Beta 2] Fixed unlocking of signal leaks in external view.
[Beta 2] Fixed Xenon working for player if their capital ship is successfully boarded (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed Gatling bullets passing through targets (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed small and medium ship wrecks not showing any contained Raw Scrap (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed stations buying certain wares below minimum price (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed certain story characters repeatedly turning around (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed buy prices of Protectyon not updating based on supply and demand.
[Beta 2] Fixed characters speaking to player sometimes looking in wrong direction.
[Beta 2] Fixed pilots remaining visible in elevator after being relieved (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed target name being spoken again without changing targets (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed multiple NPCs standing or sitting in same place on Observation Deck (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed equipment of owned Xenon ships not showing in ship upgrade/repair menu (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed Xenon equipment blueprints not unlocking (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed Xenon S/M ships not abandoning properly (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed incorrect collisions when flying Xenon PE (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed incorrectly oriented engines on Phoenix E (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed incorrectly oriented weapons on Odysseus E.
[Beta 2] Fixed Xenon SE not being able to pick up mined resources while player is nearby (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed corridor towards Split managers office sometimes clipping through dark wall (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 2] Fixed several causes of crashes.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I retroactively got my missing Xenon blueprints so now I have a fully fitted H to try out, I'm not sure what to do with it yet, it's a versatile industrial in that it can mine minerals, gas and haul wares but as a result it's cargo capacity is quite small ( mining hold is one third the capacity of the Cthonius E which is my current mainstay ). It has a huge drone bay but can only retrieve 2 drones at a time. The two L turrets default to mining targets so I'm pretty sure it's not a front line combat destroyer so I'm treating mine as a support ship with defense and repair drones. I also captured a Xenon B that I had caused to bail pre patch but couldn't cap until after the beta 2 update, I am yet to test it and it's plasma cutters in combat, also I couldn't disembark when docked with my shipyard - I had to teleport out. I do want the Ironclad paint mod both the ships have as my default paint option ( it's not available in the more default paints mod I'm using ).

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 12, 2024

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
OK the B does have an elevator, I had just missed it. The B and PE are never going to be my daily driver, it's nice to be able to cap them but they aren't DLC power creeped corvettes by any stretch. With the B it's Plasma Cutters are short ranged and really slow gimballed but do melt fighters, speed is hella woeful though. Might be nasty against bigger ships but lack of speed, durability and the necessity of getting into point defense range to cause damage means that you're going to see a lot of B's needed to suicide a bigger ship down. The PE is woefully undergunned and squishy. The guns do have good range but the low projectile an gimbal speed means you're missing a lot of shots in a dogfight.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

[Beta 3] Added dialog option to postpone Existential Crisis (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Added guidance to new HQ location when player scans old HQ plot signal leak with Kingdom End active.
[Beta 3] Added flickering of lights in rooms when ship or station is taking heavy damage.
[Beta 3] Removed chance for fighters to deploy mines in dogfights.
[Beta 3] Improved station selection for Gride's delivery station in Paranid story.
[Beta 3] Improved scanning mission to verify that opposing faction matches that given in briefing.
[Beta 3] Improved mission to track ship to abort if target was destroyed before accepting mission offer.
[Beta 3] Improved stellar output to some systems based on community feedback (improves changes in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved Rescue by allowing player to call for help again if rescue attempt is cancelled (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved drone launching and recovery at ships with launch tubes.
[Beta 3] Improved capital ship combat movement against large targets.
[Beta 3] Improved colours of exclusion zones and building lot bounds in station design menu.
[Beta 3] Improved colours on Behemoth E and Colossus E to bring them more in line with non-E variants (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved differentiation between radial menus (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved elevator on Xenon B (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved visuals on bridge of Xenon H (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved visuals of Xenon Plasma Cutter Beam (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Improved Kha'ak muzzle effect timing and appearance when viewed from far away.
[Beta 3] Improved detail on wall of Terran 4M10S Luxury Dock Area.
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrect office in gamestarts/stories resulting in problems with locations of NPCs, terminals, etc. (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed E model Paranid capital ships not being used in Paranid story.
[Beta 3] Fixed progress blockers in various tutorials (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed Covert Operations story sometimes getting stuck between Buy Plot and Build Station phases in Operation Hyena.
[Beta 3] Fixed HQ-related achievements not being unlocked in some storylines.
[Beta 3] Fixed speech being cut short in Rescue Ship generic mission.
[Beta 3] Fixed being unable to dock due to reputation loss if player attacks Gride's ship when it loses cover during Paranid story.
[Beta 3] Fixed cipher ship vulnerability in Paranid story.
[Beta 3] Fixed Xenon Research not unlocking Xenon L Shield Mk2 (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed damage fields in Torus Aeternal.
[Beta 3] Fixed certain sectors reporting negative resource values (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed pilots failing to bail out of player-owned ships (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed docking request with rescuing ship sometimes getting cancelled if player asked to be rescued (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed transport drones on player's personal capital ship not collecting drops when set to do so.
[Beta 3] Fixed small/medium ships sometimes teleporting short distance after being hit.
[Beta 3] Fixed excessive travel-drive dropouts for small/medium ships during dogfights.
[Beta 3] Fixed ships sometimes reporting failed trade orders despite successfully completing trade.
[Beta 3] Fixed ships and turrets refusing to attack or shoot at stations that are under construction (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed turrets not shooting at station modules (especially Kha'ak) unless set to Attack my current enemy.
[Beta 3] Fixed weapons aiming at target sometimes moving erratically when target is lost.
[Beta 3] Fixed ships fleeing towards station stopping to recall subordinates.
[Beta 3] Fixed being able to purchase mining drones for installation onto ships that can't use them.
[Beta 3] Fixed xenon pilots not abandoning ship properly again (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed build storages with cargo sometimes not having any visible cargo pods, preventing their destruction.
[Beta 3] Fixed excessive deconstruction times for station modules.
[Beta 3] Fixed not being able to call elevator up again when standing in cockpit of PE and SE (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed missing confirmation dialog in Station Build menu when opening another menu with unconfirmed construction plan changes.
[Beta 3] Fixed inability to drag order icon of Rescue people in range order on map (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed inversion of controller/joystick axis for Emulated Mouse Cursor not being saved in input profile.
[Beta 3] Fixed various input mapping issues when using specific joysticks, e.g. VPC Constellation Alpha Prime.
[Beta 3] Fixed ship doors remaining open when they become visible while ship is undocking.
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrect engine position on Xenon F (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrect shield orientation and surface element positions on Crane E (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrect surface elements orientation on Heron E (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed force field in Paranid interior not preventing player from entering area..
[Beta 3] Fixed several cases of weapons not being aligned properly.
[Beta 3] Fixed logo being cut off on Kyd.
[Beta 3] Fixed graphical glitch on Eclipse hull.
[Beta 3] Fixed wreck of Medical Supplies and Hull Parts production modules appearing disconnected.
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrect surface appearance of wreck of Paranid S Dome.
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrectly positioned wreck of Paranid L Dome.
[Beta 3] Fixed free-floating debris pieces in wreck of Maja Snail production module.
[Beta 3] Fixed missing detail on Boron M container storage causing turrets to appear floating.
[Beta 3] Fixed NPCs in Baldric and Bolo not using holo-keyboards to left and right of seats.
[Beta 3] Fixed transporter room door clipping through wall in Argon corridor.
[Beta 3] Fixed transporter room door fading out too quickly.
[Beta 3] Fixed being able to walk through dock area walls on Behemoth.
[Beta 3] Fixed bridge on Behemoth E being too far forwards (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed missing holo trackballs on newly introduced small/medium ships (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed bridge of ship docked at Paranid pier sometimes becoming temporarily invisible.
[Beta 3] Fixed bridge lights remaining off after ship has been constructed (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed headlights of Xenon F not turning off when docked (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed boost effect on Xenon F starting too far behind ship (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed doors of Xenon F vibrating erratically (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed glow on Boron dock area appearing cut off.
[Beta 3] Fixed fast projectiles sometimes launching behind weapons when flying at high speeds.
[Beta 3] Fixed sun shining through large ships in external target view.
[Beta 3] Fixed lens-flare blocking view from Xenon B and Xenon PE cockpits (new feature in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed engine flames of Kha'ak ships not being animated.
[Beta 3] Fixed brightness of some map elements being too high (problem introduced in 7.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed several causes of crashes.

e: Would appreciate an option to postpone existential crises IRL.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 24, 2024

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

quote:

[Beta 3] Improved capital ship combat movement against large targets.
Be still my heart!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Being able to save layouts of stations is a loving god-send for multiple playthroughs.

I've got a whole collection of layouts for all sorts of different bases with storage - I just load them up, and press the randomize button a few times, and they all look unique.

Can those be shared? I absolutely hate fighting with the base designer

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I just put all the station parts inside each other (can’t remember if there is a setting you need to toggle to allow this) and then forget about ever designing a decent station. Only stuff spaced out is docks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tabletops posted:

They're XML files so you could theoretically share them. The game also has an auto design feature if you don't care about space efficiency. Just plop down all modules you want and hit that auto complete button

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

They're XML files so you could theoretically share them. The game also has an auto design feature if you don't care about space efficiency. Just plop down all modules you want and hit that auto complete button

Egosoft has a forum for sharing pre built stations of varying quality and efficiency and I've occasionally looked through but never actually tried copying anything in to use because there is a lot of random trash, a lot of 10x10x10 km plot 1000 production module mega stations, and very little neat, unique, albeit ~suboptimal~ stations.

There is a gorgeous overdone Terran solar panel helix though...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tabletops posted:

They can, but as FrickenMoron says, they're just layouts with the required modules and housing, plus a dock and a pier that I randomize to get something that looks good, so there's little point in sharing them.

To find out the required modules, you can use the station calculator - just select the modules you want based on the production chart, the number of them you want, and then press 'Autofill'.
To achieve efficiency, you can make a station in the calculator with every end-tier production module, add habitats to the point that you've satisfied the workforce requirement, and then auto-fill to get some idea of how many of each you need to build.

After you've done that, you can add S/M+L+XL manufacturing bays to your HQ.

EDIT: The real trick is ensuring that trade between the stations functions properly, such as ensuring that your stations aren't buying raw resources or the tier below it from anyone but your faction once you can satisfy the demand.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 25, 2024

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I build all my stations on a common "frame" that has an E pier at the end with storage and M docks connected to a spine of spaced connectors.

Then I build wings of production modules off the spine.

The advantage of this is that you can copy the entire spine chunk if you need to double production quickly.

The hull parts forge in that last photo was tripled with a few clicks.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 25, 2024

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I've played a lot of X3 years ago and I'm now considering playing this. How does this game compare to the various Litcube-flavoured mods for X3? Is there any reason to still prefer modded X3, or is this an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Mayem 3 and it's successors are still interesting and very unique; X4 though is pretty good in it's current form and if you enjoyed any of the X games you'd almost certainly enjoy this one. Litcube itself was interesting but a little "fake" if that makes sense - like you'd build a huge empire in LU but the materials and goods you sold just vanished into the ether and had fake demands. Mayhem added a real economy which was amazing, and that's also one of the coolest parts of X4 - shipyards will not build ships without fairly complex chains of supply and you can fill those needs or disrupt them with enjoyable effects.

It lacks a ton of the nice QoL stuff from LU and Mayhem though but the UI is pretty functional and the map is great. Honestly just go for it.