Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

My biggest dissatisfaction is not being able to get a warning of approaching enemies if I'm not flying myself. I can't see the radar, so I only get visual warning by looking at the map. The pilot will only ask me what to do after they've been attacked, and if I'm looking at the map I have to get out of it quickly to answer them in time, but I need to use the map to see what the enemy is. I wish pilots could just say 'Enemy spotted!' or some such.
Up next to the x button to close the map, there's a button that looks like an underscore that simply "minimizes" the map, but keeps the view settings and whatever you've got highlighted.
It's quite handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
A lot of people are discovering the "Pause" button and using it, remembering to pause and/or save periodically is deffo in the top 10 "Starting X4 what do??" list.
unlike some games, X4 does not ruin the affect of wheeeeeee space dogfight by pausing and micromanaging some dolt across the universe not paying attention to my globals, oh, and blacklists don't work, glhf.
After the new patch goes mainstream, I'll probably make some lil' pdf's on the first few hours/days playing X4, and the stuff you can do to gub some cash up/find some ships.
if anyone has any suggestions or question not answered in their disco/forums, ask away, or drop those ideas in.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I want an AI destroyer and 10 S fighters to fight together in a reasonable way. What configuration of everything do I put the things in to make that happen?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what are good OOS setups for combat? I sent 6 nemesis against a K but they got obliterated, absolutely wrecked anything P and lower though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OOS combat works on numerical calculations so evasiveness etc doesn't really factor in. You want the largest ships with the biggest guns. In sector is kind of the other way around though large ships are still good because of their sheer firepower and hitpoints.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god split ships look so much better than the other race ones

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

queeb posted:

what are good OOS setups for combat? I sent 6 nemesis against a K but they got obliterated, absolutely wrecked anything P and lower though.

M ships eat poo poo OOS. And IS too, often, because they just take too much damage.

I had an Odysseus with an attack wing of 20 Nova Sentinel hold a gate against xenon for for hours.

Fighters work better OOS than IS because they don't take stray shots. A K will evenly distribute damage between them and keep damage off your destroyer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

queeb posted:

god split ships look so much better than the other race ones
I'm not completely sold on the Split like other people appear to be, but what I really think is great is how all of the races have different designs.
I'm sure it's much harder to do something like that than I think it is.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The instantly identifiable ship design schools are really good. The actual races, maybe not so much.

Even if the Paranid look really goofy I do appreciate that the Paranid station components let me appropriately praise the Holy Three-Dimensionality:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like the paranid designs, they're the second best faction IMO apart from the split, second strongest theming in all their designs.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The Paranid destroyer doesn't look dangerous and is a little silly. I would have been better without the weird stalk. I really like all their other ships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it didn't have the keel it would obviously list.

It does at least serve a functional purpose as a gun mount.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

staberind posted:

After the new patch goes mainstream, I'll probably make some lil' pdf's on the first few hours/days playing X4, and the stuff you can do to gub some cash up/find some ships.
if anyone has any suggestions or question not answered in their disco/forums, ask away, or drop those ideas in.

That would be nice

Re ship chat, I feel like everything looks more goofy/less cool than x3, and that really hurts my enjoyment of an x game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure that can be true given that the giant green donguses aren't in the game at the moment :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If it didn't have the keel it would obviously list.

The paranid fin keels are honestly no sillier than the fact that a majority of the S ships have wings.

In conclusion, we really need more sensible designs like the kha'ak tetrahedrons but, barring that, boats > planes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Space combat being modelled after naval and aerial warfare is just one of those things you have to accept if you want something that's actually fun to play, I think.

As awesome as it would be to have Culture like space battles, I think they'd be a little disappointing to actually play. They'd be over in milliseconds after spending a month in transit. :v:

The combat in Helium Rain is amusing but not much more realistic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeDdDcimaqk (yes, there is sound, when appropriate)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

lol what

And since encounters in empty space work by stealing ships from the simulation and teleporting them there, they have to get back to civilisation:

Convoy!

Is there queuing for large ships to use a gate? Reloading didn't clear them.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 8, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Is now a good time to jump in? Or would I want to wait for a patch (or more)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Theres a new patch thats in beta at the moment that has a shedload of fixes, though it may take (from now, anyway), a few days to appear in the regular game.

however, I dunno how long its been since you last played, I restarted a few times since the split exp. dropped and I am still finding new menu's hidden in the gui, I suppose faff about getting up to speed with the state of play atm, in preparation for the patch, and start a new game then?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Space combat being modelled after naval and aerial warfare is just one of those things you have to accept if you want something that's actually fun to play, I think.

Oh, I'm old enough that I remember getting used to the combat in Frontier. Several time compressed days matching speeds followed by 1 minute of incoherent jousting, and Frontier wasn't particularly realistic apart from being Newtonian. "Realistic" space combat has a lot of problems, from the timescales to the fact that it's basically impossible to design a spaceship with a weapon more deadly than its engine.

I really do like it when the space combat games go a little more naval and a little less fighter jet, though. I-War was great, after the 10 or so hours it took to figure out how to do anything in it, and more games should occasionally request you fly several billion kilometers away for your next objective.

On a larger scale I do genuinely like all the parts of the Honor Harrington books that involve bomb-pumped lasers -- David Weber is a terrible author for anything involving politics, society or normal human behavior, even by sci-fi standards, and he completely missed all the flawed humanity that makes CS Forester's Hornblower a compelling character, but the man is good at writing about stoic people reluctantly shooting baddies with spaceships. One day a game will let me fulfill my vaguely perverse fantasy of accelerating a wall of capital ships into an exchange of mutual nuclear annihilation at 3000 km/sē.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

staberind posted:

Theres a new patch thats in beta at the moment that has a shedload of fixes, though it may take (from now, anyway), a few days to appear in the regular game.

however, I dunno how long its been since you last played, I restarted a few times since the split exp. dropped and I am still finding new menu's hidden in the gui, I suppose faff about getting up to speed with the state of play atm, in preparation for the patch, and start a new game then?

Yeah, that seems like a good idea

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That patch is absolutely wonderful, because the menus no longer halve the FPS that the game runs at.
That alone makes it worth backing up your saved games, enter the code IBackedUpMySaves where it belongs, and using it until it becomes public.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
So I let my alleged 3-star manager handle research requisitions and now I have 200,000 energy cells and 10k smart chips.

I took away his subordinates and have been manually directing trades with the two Mercuries (I'm using Sector Satellites).

I can't figure out a way to just give an order to the manager to specifically acquire X wares for the station and let them find it all on their own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did you set a maximum storage for energy cells on the station? Because yeah if you don't it will happily buy them until the storage is full. Production stations try to proportion it based on consumption/production but it's a good idea to fiddle with the specific numbers especially if you have a lot more storage than you need and aren't producing anything.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011
So apparently Bernd slipped up during a livestream and accidentally announced that the next expansion is going to be the terrans.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 9, 2020

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/zm4yTLTg2t0?t=5864 you tell me?
eh balls, it does not start at right time, skip to 1:37:00 or so

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 9, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So sorry if this gets asked a lot, but how does this compare to elite dangerous? Is there more to keep you busy? I l've got a couple thousand hours in ED, but it sounds like it's gonna be waiting for new content that isn't stupid loving ship carriers till 2021, and X4 look like it might scratch that itch. Would you recommend it to someone who's played a lot of ED?

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
I was hoping for the Boron mainly because of how different their ships look, but I love how the Terrans are portrayed in this series so can't complain.

Hopefully we'll get a good remake of the Terran theme from X3: https://youtu.be/ge9bmxYK2mw

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

So sorry if this gets asked a lot, but how does this compare to elite dangerous? Is there more to keep you busy? I l've got a couple thousand hours in ED, but it sounds like it's gonna be waiting for new content that isn't stupid loving ship carriers till 2021, and X4 look like it might scratch that itch. Would you recommend it to someone who's played a lot of ED?

The scope of what you can do and the gameplay are completely different. After the very beginning in X4 most of your gameplay will probably be managing fleets and stations. At this point I barely fly ships myself and mostly tell employees or the autopilot to fly me around as necessary. You can take over sectors and later on outperform entire factions in production. This is, as far as I can tell, the core of the gameplay. The game has a very in-depth simulation of the galactic economy.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

Bitter ED vet and X advocate checking in to rant about my videogame feelings. X4 has an answer to almost every gameplay question that Frontier is unable or unwilling to address. It's really true and almost painfully astonishing.

That said, it also has its own fair share of jank and doesn't match ED's best strengths (precious few that they are). X4 won't make every one of your space game dreams come true, but it still manages to make ED look like a joke.

I still read the ED thread, and the conversation over there about fleet carriers and the general state of the game after all of these years is mind boggling. It's like getting out of an abusive relationship and watching a group of people with severe Stockholm syndrome continuing to get taken for a ride. You want to help them, but what can you really even say or do?

X4 has not just player 'fleet carriers', but actual player fleets. It has player stations, flyable capital ships, an actual dynamic economy and interactive war system that isn't just a server crunching numbers once a week in a spreadsheet. It has real NPC crew management and even space legs and EVA. It's all of the game that Frontier has refused to make for the last 5 years.

And perhaps most importantly, it's singleplayer! There's no brown sea pissing and moaning about immersion and balance. No Frontier capitulating to their whining and sabotaging the game's accessibility. And on top of it all there's a long-standing and dedicated mod community who enable us to tweak anything about the game we don't already like.

I myself have over 1000 hours in ED and I really regret it. There's just no imaginable excuse for how that game and its community turned out compared to this one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't played ED but it looks like its actual flying and fighting is cooler and more cinematic but I'm not sure about... the whole rest of the game.

Deuterious posted:

So apparently Bernd slipped up during a livestream and accidentally announced that the next expansion is going to be the terrans.

gently caress yeah, I hope they keep the absolutely gigantic stations in, would love to see that with the new navigation capabilities. If there's one thing I don't like from X Rebirth to X4 it's the station scale, I really liked how huge they were in X Rebirth.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ED's flight model blows X4 out of the water. It fails in that there's nothing to do except make money to get a better ship though.

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't played ED but it looks like its actual flying and fighting is cooler and more cinematic but I'm not sure about... the whole rest of the game.

gently caress yeah, I hope they keep the absolutely gigantic stations in, would love to see that with the new navigation capabilities. If there's one thing I don't like from X Rebirth to X4 it's the station scale, I really liked how huge they were in X Rebirth.

Speaking of things I miss from X:Rebirth, I liked how the star systems felt in Rebirth they did a lot to give them all a decent character especially Devries and Omicron Lyrae.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah Rebirth had some absolutely beautiful systems and X4 does feel a bit of a step back in that regard, or perhaps more of a return to an older style.

The split sectors have noticeably nicer backgrounds though, but I would enjoy a return to the really wild visuals of Rebirth.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

timn posted:

Bitter ED vet and X advocate checking in to rant about my videogame feelings. X4 has an answer to almost every gameplay question that Frontier is unable or unwilling to address. It's really true and almost painfully astonishing.

That said, it also has its own fair share of jank and doesn't match ED's best strengths (precious few that they are). X4 won't make every one of your space game dreams come true, but it still manages to make ED look like a joke.

I still read the ED thread, and the conversation over there about fleet carriers and the general state of the game after all of these years is mind boggling. It's like getting out of an abusive relationship and watching a group of people with severe Stockholm syndrome continuing to get taken for a ride. You want to help them, but what can you really even say or do?

X4 has not just player 'fleet carriers', but actual player fleets. It has player stations, flyable capital ships, an actual dynamic economy and interactive war system that isn't just a server crunching numbers once a week in a spreadsheet. It has real NPC crew management and even space legs and EVA. It's all of the game that Frontier has refused to make for the last 5 years.

And perhaps most importantly, it's singleplayer! There's no brown sea pissing and moaning about immersion and balance. No Frontier capitulating to their whining and sabotaging the game's accessibility. And on top of it all there's a long-standing and dedicated mod community who enable us to tweak anything about the game we don't already like.

I myself have over 1000 hours in ED and I really regret it. There's just no imaginable excuse for how that game and its community turned out compared to this one.

This, combined with the bit of research and video watching I've been doing, has convinced me to take the plunge and get the base game.

Single player sounds great - Admittedly one of the best things about ED was hanging out with Goons, but the game seems to go out of its way to make any kind of multiplayer frustrating and pointless most of the time. And Christ yes, the Brown Sea is one of the worst gaming communities I've ever come across. They want the game to be full of even more tedious cruft.

And you're probably right on the mark with it being a Stockholm Syndrome kind of thing. I've put countless hours into every iteration of Elite since the 80s, and it kinda sticks with you, you know? I know what a Cobra Mk. III or an Anaconda is, because I've been flying them one way or another for decades. I know on some level I'm invested in the whole damned thing, and I know I'll keep playing it from time to time.

It would be less annoying if the base fundamentals of the game weren't so good; they've absolutely nailed the 'simulating a spaceship' part of a spaceship simulation game, the look, sound, feel... it's just when you're doing anything that's not directly being in the cockpit that you realize how shallow it all is.

Anyhow, yeah. Thanks for the advice, and I'm sure I'll be back here with loads of gameplay questions ;)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I played more than a bit of Elite and the best summation of the game I've ever seen was "A galaxy wide, a puddle deep". There's lots of things you could do, but the overall impact of anything was lacking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking of terran station design and the way the HQ works, could be interesting if they keep the ring structure they used in Rebirth and X3. Lots of rings connected by struts with big tall towers everywhere.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is there a common bug that causes you to get rewarded for a mission like 8 times?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The closest thing I've seen to that is getting hundreds of missions to assign a captain to a ship that all complete at once, but there's no reward for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
OK, I figured out where in the interface to set limits on how much of a ware to stockpile. It's confusing because you can only limit some wares some of the time? It's either based on wares you already have at your station, or wares your manager is actively acquiring due to selected research. Not sure why it isn't free edit for selecting and controlling any ware you've discovered, with stuff on base or you have demand or production of pre-added.

Anyway, I started searching for posts or guides on good sectors. I have several sectors - Argon Prime, Grand Exchange, and Silent Witness - laced with a few resource probes, and wanted to know what a good sector would be for getting serious about starting a station empire.

In the process of searching I came across a guide on reddit of a bunch of videos by some guy with an outrageous accent. I used trade filters a bit when I was manually doing research wares, so I felt like I already knew everything there is to know about them but loaded up the video anyway.

So, apparently the results list is clickable in itself. I was scanning around zooming in and out until I saw Sold results, and then mousing over the visible stations until I found the one that had the ware. This is the idiot method apparently - you can just click on the filter result and it gives you the station right there. I'm going to be watching more of these videos to find out what else I didn't know about things I thought I knew.