Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Thom12255 posted:

So after a few hours of mining with ships that actually have mining lasers my economy is doing fine and I've made a few hundred million.

I'm going to revert my save to before I made Argon declare righteous holy war on Terrans as they don't stand a chance right now. I'll need to really support their economy to give them a chance and that'll take a few days.

A few hundred million? drat. I have a Wharf, 4 production stations, and about 10 autotraders and I have to leave SETA on for hours to make 100 million. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Travic posted:

A few hundred million? drat. I have a Wharf, 4 production stations, and about 10 autotraders and I have to leave SETA on for hours to make 100 million. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have a long queue of orders in your Wharf? That should be making you plenty and quickly. So you either don't have the parts to keep up with that demand, or if there is no demand.. well then everyone already has plenty of ships. And you'll have to increase that demand.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think I hosed up my hull parts station by expanding too fast but not making more docks so no one can come and buy anything because all my dumb miners are constantly taking up all the slots. Easily remedied but sadly put a big constraint on my income for a while.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've never gotten very far in the industrial side of X4 and since Miners aren't quite as good as they used to be, what should my first production module be? I was thinking a metal refinery would be a good start.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always go metal because it sells, which is nice, although not for all that much as the ore you make it out of is fairly low value so it's not much better than just selling silicon to people, but it's also the main component of hull parts, which I think are the best thing to move towards because you can then use them to build more stations, as well as being a very large market because all the ship and station building uses them (except terrans)

If you're going to set up a station I would set up some metal refining and then transition it to also make hull parts, buy in the graphene and slap a solar panel on it, and you can convert the value of your ecell production as well as your ore input into much more valuable hull plates.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 20, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Pylons posted:

I've never gotten very far in the industrial side of X4 and since Miners aren't quite as good as they used to be, what should my first production module be? I was thinking a metal refinery would be a good start.

yeah metal refinery, and then scale hull parts onto it asap. Put that poo poo in nopelios fortune. the connected zone next door is just packed full of silicon and ore, like millions of it, so your miners dont travel far, and tons of ships will be going through there as its a main connection into grand exchange, avoiding HoP space. my factory is doing 15k hull parts/hour and is always selling out.

I put a 12 smart chip 1 microchop factory in silent witness 1 and its doing OK as well. Apparently the HoP space just devours smart chips since they have a fleet cap like 3x the other races, so I might try a 24 smart chip factory right beside their wharves.

edit: nabbed another FAF rattlesnake last night. it took like 140 marines to get their 50 crew down, it was crazy.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 20, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nopileus is a pretty good place to set up because the HOP will absolutely chance runs through the PAR blockade to buy your poo poo, and the more HOP/PAR buy your parts and proceed to break them by smashing them into each other, the more profitsss you make :v:

If they start fights just outside your station it's cool too, because you can scoop all the poo poo you just sold them back up and sell it back to them again!

Currently though I am building everything on the HQ because I want to be able to move it later.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Do you have a long queue of orders in your Wharf? That should be making you plenty and quickly. So you either don't have the parts to keep up with that demand, or if there is no demand.. well then everyone already has plenty of ships. And you'll have to increase that demand.

I don't. It's usually just 2 or 3. Though to be fair it's still a baby Wharf. I only have Argon S class ships.

As far as creating demand I'm not sure. The Paranid civil war is ongoing. So I don't want to stop that. The Xenon are getting their asses kicked. Maybe I can mod that like someone said.

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 20, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Travic posted:

By few hours I meant real life hours with SETA enabled.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I united the Paranid as the TRI. How do you make them declare war on everyone?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know why but suddenly my hull part factory refused to have any NPC's come to it. I thought maybe it was because of too many of my own ships but I unassigned all of them and sent them a few sectors away and built 3 more docks. Still no NPC's would come. Even after waiting hours and hours. Before it was having constant traffic and sales then suddenly nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try setting a manual sell amount, I think when I added modules that used a ware it basically set it so it would never sell them presumably because it was reserving them for further production.

Could also be that the universe is a bit flooded and they won't buy them at your prices any more.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Saul Kain posted:

I united the Paranid as the TRI. How do you make them declare war on everyone?

Should appear eventually as a Busta quest if you speak to him I believe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god VRO gives the neturon gatling a loving BRRRT sound and it's amazing, continuous fire too!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Bug for Yaki end choice

If you choose to send Xenon to attack Sol, Hallie will snitch on you and you have to stop him but his ship in invulnerable. You get around this by saving and reloading after he tells you he's going to tell on you.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Thom12255 posted:

Bug for Yaki end choice

If you choose to send Xenon to attack Sol, Hallie will snitch on you and you have to stop him but his ship in invulnerable. You get around this by saving and reloading after he tells you he's going to tell on you.

how do you get the yaki/terran covert ops quests? need friendly with terrans? im -15 with them still, lol.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

Oh my god VRO gives the neturon gatling a loving BRRRT sound and it's amazing, continuous fire too!

How much BRRRRT are we tlalking here? C-RAM fire?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

How much BRRRRT are we tlalking here? C-RAM fire?

The S mount one is quite BRRT but not, like, deafening. I have not got access to the medium size one yet but I am hoping it is louder :v:

E: specifically it is this much brrt, albeit a bit muffled by the recording. Sort of like a bassier MG42 kinda sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tQjBsMoZo

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 20, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yes, that seems appropriately BRRT-y. I approve. It's not at the level of a YakB 12.5mm gun, but it'll do.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
If I want to have miners mine whichever resources a station needs, I just assign them to mine for that station, right? The AI will take care of resource selection?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DJ Dizzy posted:

If I want to have miners mine whichever resources a station needs, I just assign them to mine for that station, right? The AI will take care of resource selection?

Yes, to a point. If your station is constantly full due to AI trades your miners might get stuck with full holds of the same resource and be prevented from mining your other resources....

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

queeb posted:

how do you get the yaki/terran covert ops quests? need friendly with terrans? im -15 with them still, lol.

Yes you need good relations as you spend most of the quest working for the Terrans.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes, to a point. If your station is constantly full due to AI trades your miners might get stuck with full holds of the same resource and be prevented from mining your other resources....

Is there a way to prevent that?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
drat. My Wharf and my ship component (engine, turret, shield, and missle) factory are both actually losing me money. Man I'm bad at this.

Travic fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 20, 2021

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Also, is there a limit as to how far away miners will go for resources when assigned to a station?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I refunded this today. Bought it Thursday after the CoH livestreams made the game look like it had come a long way since launch. It really looks right up my alley.

Unfortunately it is completely unplayable on a 3080. CTD's in 5 minutes or less, every time. Newest NVidia drivers didn't work, the beta NVidia drivers recommended by the devs didn't work. I saw posts on their forums about fixes coming soon, dating all the way back to October 2020. I'll be back if/when they actually fix the issues, but for 60 bucks I expect to at least be able to launch the drat thing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the 3000 series bug sucks, it's an nVidia thing that they (nVidia) have been working on with Egosoft since the card launch. You can underclock your card by 100hz to get things going or just refund and keep an eye on it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
My experience on my 3080 is it crashes within about 5 mins nearly every time, but then after I relaunch the game it’s fine for however long I play for after that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Also, is there a limit as to how far away miners will go for resources when assigned to a station?

5 Jumps (jumpgate or accelerator) with a 5 star manager.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a way to prevent that?

I haven't tested it out too much but it seems to happen mostly with ice, maybe since it's the most common. So set your factories to only accept ice from your own ships, might solve it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I havent seen any construction ships in my first VRO game. Hope they didnt break somehow

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

So I started as terran cadet, and I'm currently floating in space waiting for the next mission to trigger, is there a timer? Or is it bugged?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Trenchdeep posted:

So I started as terran cadet, and I'm currently floating in space waiting for the next mission to trigger, is there a timer? Or is it bugged?

Change sectors, that's what triggered it for me.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

q_k posted:

Change sectors, that's what triggered it for me.

I'll give that a shot then, I was just flying between stations waiting for it to trigger.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
On the Terran start, I feel like after bailing on the second mission and coming back an hour later with the Odysseus, my wet-behind-the-ears wingman should have been like "DAAAAAAAAAAAMN WTF" when I rejoined him.

Having everyone be low-key enemy to me and having to try and grind the rep back up is kind of a pain, though

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

StarkRavingMad posted:

On the Terran start, I feel like after bailing on the second mission and coming back an hour later with the Odysseus, my wet-behind-the-ears wingman should have been like "DAAAAAAAAAAAMN WTF" when I rejoined him.

Having everyone be low-key enemy to me and having to try and grind the rep back up is kind of a pain, though

yeah i was going to go a pure terran start but that rep grind seemed brutal, so i just did the trusty lab assistant start after doing both new intros.

also god im at the point where i need to shuffle crew around, get 3*s into traders to start autotrading and poo poo and its painful. swapping 10 3* pilots into traders, then replacing those 10 with other crew, plus getting high * dudes into all my destroyers.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

queeb posted:

yeah i was going to go a pure terran start but that rep grind seemed brutal, so i just did the trusty lab assistant start after doing both new intros.

also god im at the point where i need to shuffle crew around, get 3*s into traders to start autotrading and poo poo and its painful. swapping 10 3* pilots into traders, then replacing those 10 with other crew, plus getting high * dudes into all my destroyers.

Oh does lab assistant not gently caress you on rep? I haven't tried that one, maybe I'll give it a spin instead.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Are the auto traders supposed to be good? I checked their transaction logs and they're all either losing money or breaking even.

On that note I loooooove the transaction log.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 21, 2021

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there no way to check what resources a shipyard is missing? I tried simulating a ship buy but it doesn’t list any resources missing for my ships in queue. There’s 5 unknown ships in the queue which is what I assume is holding up production. If I undock I can see a few shield construction sites on the wharf section so I’m bringing more shield components but it seems really stupid I can’t get a quick overview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Travic posted:

Are the auto traders supposed to be good? I checked their transaction logs and they're all either losing money or breaking even.

On that note I loooooove the transaction log.

They definitely are good. You can restrict their wares to high-ticket items if you want to maximize their immediate profit but I find even with a full list of wares they do fine after a while. Just make sure to periodically check that their max jumps setting is well, maxed out.