Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Haven't played this since 2018 and want to get back into it now with the new version. Are the dlcs worth it and are there any must have mods?

The Terran supply chain in the CoH DLC is nice and simple and the AI doesn’t seem to have so many issues keeping functioning.

Instead of a lot of precursors it’s just a lot of raw mats. Easy to fix and profit from early on and easy to hop into in the mid game and easy to transplant late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I’d go as far to say that carriers are basically worthless in sector. Or at least the Tokyo class is. Can’t speak to the others. They’re honestly pretty great OOS. Watching OOS fighter blobs dissect an I is fun to watch, but the fighters are just unable to reliably take off or dock in sector and since it appears that fighters will dock after most actions there’s just a huge traffic jam at the undock when they do anything in sector. It sucks a lot.

The difference between in sector and oos behaviors has been a problem since i first played X3:TC ages ago ( and probably way before that). The fact that the game still plays so differently in the two situations even now is bizarre.
Yeah, Egosoft absolutely cheat by simplifying the simulation when it involves things not in the sector as the player.

I can't imagine the game would run very well, or at all, if it had to simulate everything at full fidelity.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah nobody expects the fidelity of in-sector to apply to the whole game, but I expect the in-sector play to you know, work.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Does the Terran solar system count as one big sector the way other sectors connected by accelerators do? I've set up a trade station to trade protein paste in Jupiter but the station traders don't go to the farther parts of the system. Is that because of Egosoft jank or does Sol have special rules?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im a bit confused on what I have to do to see the storage of a station on the map. Does it even matter for my automated gas / ore miners as long as I have satellites deployed?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Happy Underpants posted:

Does the Terran solar system count as one big sector the way other sectors connected by accelerators do? I've set up a trade station to trade protein paste in Jupiter but the station traders don't go to the farther parts of the system. Is that because of Egosoft jank or does Sol have special rules?

Station traders use the auto trade command but the parameters of the command are dictated by the manager of the station and not the pilot. If it’s a brand new station and manager I imagine the manager of the station is 2ish stars. Which would mean your traders are limited to 2 jumps maximum to sell their products.

Sol is comprised of several sectors separated by accelerators and each accelerator is treated as a “jump”. If you inspect one of your traders and go to their orders screen you can see what their limits are currently. So I’m guessing they won’t go out to Neptune or Pluto simply because it’s too far away for your manager. As your manager gets better the range of his traders will go up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Happy Underpants posted:

Nope! Just Saturn/Titan and Earth/Luna.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Nope! Just Saturn/Titan and Earth/Luna.

BOO! Make your game mechanics consistent Egosoft! On the plus side trade stations are a blast. Pick a ware with good margins, add those wares to a station, assign some traders and watch icons float around the map making you money.

The Terran economy is completely dysfunctional in my game. My trade station is moving enough protein paste to lower the sell price of terran medical supplies and MREs which I'll add to the same trade station once the margins get better. In order to do the same thing for metallic microlattices and silicone carbide I'm going to need a bunch of miners. After that's set up I'll move on to the ridiculous money maker that is computronic substrates.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 16, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

FrickenMoron posted:

Im a bit confused on what I have to do to see the storage of a station on the map. Does it even matter for my automated gas / ore miners as long as I have satellites deployed?

I know I had to manually scan stations up to 30% to see their stock levels, but I don't think it matters for autominers.

Maybe a trade subscription helps with this?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Happy Underpants posted:

After that's set up I'll move on to the ridiculous money maker that is computronic substrates.

I’ve basically made my fortune off Computronic Substrate. Just be ready for the disgusting amount of miners you’ll need to support even a relatively modest station.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Teladi are just barely holding Ianamus Zura from the Xenon lol, they sent Is and several Ks to go wreck it. I even had to kill an in-progress Xenon defense station for them (they're down to one in the area, interestingly for me)

There are dead phoenixes everywhere

e: Lol I've killed them all but the I; which I can't event dent. Neither can the Teladi's combined forces! Wow Phoenixes are trash

e: SCA is building dozens of stations in my Heretic's End lol, go for crime boys. Too bad I can't get taxes from them or something. I saw a mod about that but it's busted atm. They're also getting raided by Khaak. Meanwhile my HQ Wharf is starting to sell the AI Ships, 50 to 80k at a time lol. That doesn't seem worth it but it also has almost limitless resources now and I got my fleets building for the Paranid and Split plots so who cares

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 17, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ice Fist posted:

I’ve basically made my fortune off Computronic Substrate. Just be ready for the disgusting amount of miners you’ll need to support even a relatively modest station.

I really want to get in on this, but my Terrans are completely maxed out. Every station is full on all resources. I guess they have no one to fight since the Xenon are wimps in my game.

Is there any way to start a war between the Terrans and the Paranid? I really don't want to start one with ANT/ARG. I'm trying to protect them and I'm pretty sure the Terrans would roll over them.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Travic posted:

Is there any way to start a war between the Terrans and the Paranid? I really don't want to start one with ANT/ARG. I'm trying to protect them and I'm pretty sure the Terrans would roll over them.
If you complete the Paranid Questline I believe you can have them wardec anyone, and so far when I've triggered the Terran vs ANT/Arg war it's quickly hit stalemate -Don't be afraid of war, it's good for business.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I did the Terran start and bought 3 gas and 1 mineral miners to have em work in Oort Cloud. It's okay money but I feel like the terran market is woefully undersupplied on energy? Theres barely any solar power plants. Would it be a good idea to get into that market? I have never ever built a station in X4 so I'm a bit anxious about how it all works, it was annoying enough in X3 TC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

I did the Terran start and bought 3 gas and 1 mineral miners to have em work in Oort Cloud. It's okay money but I feel like the terran market is woefully undersupplied on energy? Theres barely any solar power plants. Would it be a good idea to get into that market? I have never ever built a station in X4 so I'm a bit anxious about how it all works, it was annoying enough in X3 TC.

Absolutely yes, it's a lot less annoying now (though still a little annoying)

Build one in Mercury with a dock, container storage, and 3 or 4 solar panels and you're golden. Add a trader if you want but people will buy from it if you set the price to minimum. I have one in Gaian Prophecy too that makes boatloads since I switched Mercury to supply my other Terran stations instead

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Happy Underpants posted:

Happy Underpants posted:

BOO! Make your game mechanics consistent Egosoft!

Sectors connected by accelerators do not count as the same sector, sectors conncted by superhighways do.

This is 100% consistent across the game, but it might take you a while to notice. If the sector has the blue/orange gates for in/out, it's counted as the same sector, if it has an accelerator, it is not.

There are also specific border colours on the map for this too, accelerator links have a faded border, gate links have a solid colour border, superhighway links have sub-hexes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 17, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ZombyDog posted:

If you complete the Paranid Questline I believe you can have them wardec anyone, and so far when I've triggered the Terran vs ANT/Arg war it's quickly hit stalemate -Don't be afraid of war, it's good for business.

Oh I picked the More Civil War Please option to try and rein in HOP. They're out of control. Oh well. I guess I can start a TER- ARG war. I just have a soft spot for the Argon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah is there a way to see who hates who? I can only see who likes/dislikes me. And also to see what commodities are oversaturated or high demand?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

buglord posted:

Yeah is there a way to see who hates who? I can only see who likes/dislikes me. And also to see what commodities are oversaturated or high demand?

Encyclopedia page for each faction will tell you who is allies and enemies

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Travic posted:

I really want to get in on this, but my Terrans are completely maxed out. Every station is full on all resources. I guess they have no one to fight since the Xenon are wimps in my game.

So I don’t really know who has been doing the buying and selling and where everything I’m selling is going, but the Terran/Pio demand for computronic substrate, or really silicon carbide and metallic microlattice is bottomless. If anything until you get your own wharf you’ll be a massive driver of demand and you’ll essentially be selling the terrans wares and then buying some of them back in the form of ships and weapons. I have a massive computronic substrate plant and I never get above 5%-10% capacity because they fly off the shelves so fast.

Also, don’t be so confident that the terrans are all powerful. I thought they would roll over ANT/ARG too and it just didn’t happen the Terrans have killed 2 ANT stations in my game for the cost of 50-60 destroyers. Factions are pretty tough and the AI isn’t smart enough to not suicide their destroyers into defense stations.

FrickenMoron posted:

I was really nervous about building stations based off my experiences in X3, but not only is it pretty simple, but its not all that expensive. Although building an energy station in Mercury is perfectly viable (it's what I did), it's not what I would do now. Energy in general is always in demand, but it's not a big money maker. I only make a few hundred k an hour from my solar planet in mercury. It does, however, supply all my my stations in Jupiter with energy cells with the assistance of a trading post I built in Mars as a half way point. If I were to start all over the advice I would give is to go straight to silicon carbide.

1) Play the game until you unlock SETA and the research techs that let you steal blueprints.
2) Steal the metallic microlattice and silicon carbide modules from terran stations, plus any other modules you don't want to pay for (habitation modules are fairly expensive and are good targets for theft). Don't do what I did and fly between stations crossing your fingers that RNG has blessed you with a data leak. I was ignorant of somewhat obscure mechanics. Use EMP bombs to create data leaks. You're guaranteed to get a blueprint. Just be careful not to get blown up by the 5-0
3) Build a modest station either in or 1 jump out of the oort cloud or asteroid belt, with a dock, a microlattice module, a silicon carbide module, plus one of each storage type (container, solid and liquid). Silicon carbide requires microlattice to build but only a tiny amount of it so this station will eventually sell both silicon carbide and microlattice. Don't worry about habitation just yet. Also don't worry about defenses for the station which shouldn't be a problem because you can't build defenses anyways until you unlock the turret and shield blueprints. Put your cash towards getting the station running first. After you settle on the design, make sure that the settings for construction buy orders are open to the AI and put the cash into the construction account to pay for the materials. The AI should pretty quickly start filling them. Find any old construction ship wandering around and assign it to build the station. A modest station like this should build pretty quickly.
4) Assign all of your miners to it. Make sure that the buy orders for all of your inputs are set so only your faction can fulfill them, except for energy cells. Keep that open to the AI. Eventually you'll want to be supplying your own energy, but to start out energy is pretty cheap to buy. Buy any additional miners to go get your inputs for you. Monitor your station for a bit or check in often and continue buying and assigning miners to your station until they can keep up with production.
5) Make sure that you have some cash in your station's account. The game will give you a recommended amount to put in, but this always takes into account the amount of money it would take to essentially purchase all of the wares off the market even if you're supplying it yourself via miners or producing it yourself at a station. Also, the game for some reason treats your miners delivering your ore to your station as a "trade" and it requires cash in the account to cover the transaction even though no cash actually changes hands. Bottomline: Always make sure your stations have at least some cash in their account.

The AI will trip over themselves to buy your silicon carbide. Money made by selling the carbide and microlattice will go into your stations account. To get it out, either just raid the station's funds by setting it to a low amount or hitting the "accept estimate" button so long as the current balance is greater than the estimate (otherwise you'll deposit cash into the account). The game will, eventually, begin transferring cash directly into your personal account, but the formula for this is a bit weird. It only happens once an hour at most from what I can tell and the station needs to reach some sort of threshold before it will make a deposit.

You can add trading ships to your station but you don't need to. It's a very good money maker just with the AI buying your stuff. Continue expanding the station by adding additional silicon carbide modules and eventually some habitation. Your station is going to eventually keep growing and you can either keep expanding the one station or building many smaller stations. It's completely up to you. My recommendation is to build many smaller stations rather than one massive one, mostly because you can build them in parallel and at a certain point its easier to build a smaller station than to continue adding modules to a very large one. The game gets really fussy about connecting modules to a very big station and the station building interface performance slows to a glacial pace.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is it just me or have the devs been super quiet? Especially given there's still a beta live for testing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There were two planned expansions for X4 so I would imagine the question is now whether they do another one or whether they have been working on X5.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Egosoft always works in cycles. They go quiet for a while, then when they have something done there's a flurry of betas, constant updates, then a big patch and a few follow-ups, and then they retreat back to their hermitage to toil on the next thing.

e: And I think they didn't want to overshadow the X3 thing that was just released

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

There were two planned expansions for X4 so I would imagine the question is now whether they do another one or whether they have been working on X5.

A few people on Reddit and their forums were saying they supposedly got government funding for an expansion that's seeming pirate themed

I think I'd rather have them take a look again at older races like the Teladi and Boron

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
One thing to note about the Terran economy and solar panels is that their farthest systems have absolutely pathetic solar levels.

A fully kitted out solar power plant in Mercury won't be able to move product fast enough; one in the Oort Cloud will produce barely any.

A solid investment is to build one in the Segaris sector right next to Neptune, since their solar capacity, even if its not as ludicrous as Mercury, is better than the Terran sectors nearby it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Antigravitas posted:

Egosoft always works in cycles. They go quiet for a while, then when they have something done there's a flurry of betas, constant updates, then a big patch and a few follow-ups, and then they retreat back to their hermitage to toil on the next thing.

e: And I think they didn't want to overshadow the X3 thing that was just released
Yeah I get that, I've played since X2 but there seems like a lot of stuff broken with the last beta fold-in to the release branch that they have acknowledged and not fixed in the last 6 weeks (at least fix the weird mining bugs, jeez).

Also FL is buggy as hell with gamebreaking problems :( Hopefully that sees a patch too, haha.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

A few people on Reddit and their forums were saying they supposedly got government funding for an expansion that's seeming pirate themed

I think I'd rather have them take a look again at older races like the Teladi and Boron

Boron pirates, please.

:yarr:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I don’t feel mean enough to post it in the X discord since there’s devs there, but god people in X4 are really ugly. I can’t explain why humans look so soulless.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, they are less ugly than they were in X3 :v:

I don't know if egosoft has any dedicated character modelers/animators on staff. It's a lot harder IME than environment modeling. Or at least sufficiently different that I would be surprised if many people are very good at both.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be fair it is a series where until Rebirth your only view of any living thing was in 5 second bursts as a portrait when another ship is communicating with you. It probably wasn't a huge priority for them, much better to get artists that can do big fancy spaceships and stations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah like, compared to X3, everyone is X4 is a runway model. Even the aliens were truly HIDEOUS in the previous X games. Paranid actually look pretty goddamn cool now. Teladi look more or less good.

Humans still look weird but not awful. I dig the Yaki's look.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I think the humans look better in X4 but the aliens all look like poo poo, personally.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the teladi model that's just entirely naked except for a lovely helmet. Just a nudist letting his credits hang loose

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Weren't they working on a new version of Ventures? What happened to that?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Walkable station interiors should have died with rebirth. What a waste of dev time and performance.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know I think they do add something to the game, it's pretty amazing to walk out into the hanger and see how massive even the M ships are. It's a sense of scale you don't get from the cockpit view. That said they do feel like a lot of empty space in X4 and I don't think bringing back the dumb "random poo poo hidden around the station" from Rebirth would have helped, but maybe just more things to do with NPC interactions on foot would have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the teladi model that's just entirely naked except for a lovely helmet. Just a nudist letting his credits hang loose

Oddly there is a line in the encyclopedia that says that apparently almost all spacefaring teladi are female.

The game doesn't quite reflect this, because it will assign teladi both crewman and crewwoman titles, but they are almost the same visually, the way to tell them apart is by the heads, they have different bone crests on the back, but otherwise look and sound identical. Which I quite like, no lizard titties in this game!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know I think they do add something to the game, it's pretty amazing to walk out into the hanger and see how massive even the M ships are. It's a sense of scale you don't get from the cockpit view. That said they do feel like a lot of empty space in X4 and I don't think bringing back the dumb "random poo poo hidden around the station" from Rebirth would have helped, but maybe just more things to do with NPC interactions on foot would have.

Yeah I also really like the sense of scale it gives you.

I still think my preferred use of the technology would be to give you a management office module with really nice panoramic windows and a bunch of consoles you can set to different menus, and displays you can set to track a bunch of data from your stations. You spend a whole bunch of the game managing those anyway so having a sort of 3d environment to organize it in could actually be useful and it would add a more aesthetic element to something that is already quite crunchy mechanics wise. The game already renders a bunch of its UI elements in 3d space anyway.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ice Fist posted:

So I don’t really know who has been doing the buying and selling and where everything I’m selling is going, but the Terran/Pio demand for computronic substrate, or really silicon carbide and metallic microlattice is bottomless. If anything until you get your own wharf you’ll be a massive driver of demand and you’ll essentially be selling the terrans wares and then buying some of them back in the form of ships and weapons. I have a massive computronic substrate plant and I never get above 5%-10% capacity because they fly off the shelves so fast.

Also, don’t be so confident that the terrans are all powerful. I thought they would roll over ANT/ARG too and it just didn’t happen the Terrans have killed 2 ANT stations in my game for the cost of 50-60 destroyers. Factions are pretty tough and the AI isn’t smart enough to not suicide their destroyers into defense stations.

Ok I'll dive and see what kind of results I can get. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just noticed that nearly every construction ship in the game uses the same model lol

Also Yaki are buying and building their corvettes in my HQ lmao