Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can still make mad bank if you build the ships then sell them to another faction. I like just other factions buying from my wharfs though to power them up.

In my game (with VRO) the xenon completely dominate the northern porition of the map. I had to save ZYA from being completely destroyed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I heard the trick of "manually make and sell ships for more money" which seems pretty ridiculous to me for several reasons but it's something I'll keep in my pocket in case I ever decide to play unmodded for ventures (which I probably won't because at this point "mods to fix the dumb stuff" seems to be the name of the game)

case in point, I got the initial vibe from the internet at large that "the xenon will literally wipe out the NPC races if the player doesn't start taking action to prevent it by midgame" and was spinning up containment fleets with any resources I had to spare

then the Split in the northeast cleared them out with absolutely no input from me, and the Paranid in the northwest nearly did the same, and after dropping sats all over the place I realized that the Yaki sectors were the only place where the xenon had a functional shipyard at the point in the game I was at

I'm getting the vibe that at some point their ability to exist for any period of time in an unmodded game got severely nerfed

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Xenon are pretty well contained since Terrans got added. In the 4.0 beta before the DLC came out the Xenon wiped ZYA off the map pretty easily.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Beta 5 is out for 4.10

Notable features:
- Free rotation for station modules is in. You can also ignore snapping now by holding ctrl.
- Custom gamestarts are in.
- Map can now remember last position when closed/reopened rather than always centering on your position.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FrickenMoron posted:

Beta 5 is out for 4.10

Notable features:
- Free rotation for station modules is in. You can also ignore snapping now by holding ctrl.
- Custom gamestarts are in.
- Map can now remember last position when closed/reopened rather than always centering on your position.

Also it seems that you can now see other stations around your station in the build menu so it's easier to orient yourself.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

FrickenMoron posted:

Yesssssss

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FrickenMoron posted:

oh thank god

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Free rotation means you can build race tracks with terran habitations now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Get your station C&Ded by the olympic commission.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Use the Paranid Y-connectors and you can make ramps to your circuit.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Finally I can point my (Terran) solar panels at the star in the system.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Been playing the new beta patch and for whatever reason I can find plenty of one star two star and four star pilot and management seminars, but have yet to see a single three star. Do these not come from missions?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Been playing the beta branch for a while now too. Lots of nice little improvements in the UI and of course the new station building rotation / camera is very welcome.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
  • [Beta 6] Added module set filters to Station Build menu.
  • [Beta 6] Added station module context menu to module list in Station Build menu.
  • [Beta 6] Added option to hide module plan and loadout details in Station Build menu.
  • [Beta 6] Added settings to Station Build menu.
  • [Beta 6] Added options to reset individual custom gamestart budgets (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Added descriptions to custom gamestart budgets (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Added quantity option for player property ships in custom gamestart editor (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Added import and export for custom gamestarts definitions (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Added HQ to player property list when corresponding story state is chosen (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Removed people budget display in Ship Configuration menu for Creative custom gamestarts (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved travel speed of formations.
  • [Beta 6] Improved behaviour of ships attacking targets distant enough to require use of travel mode.
  • [Beta 6] Improved movement of capital ships clearing jump gates after transition.
  • [Beta 6] Improved Collect Drop(s) orders to also pick up ammunition containers.
  • [Beta 6] Improved launch of defence drones set to Attack my Current Target.
  • [Beta 6] Improved target acquisition for defence drones when switching to Attack all Enemies mode.
  • [Beta 6] Improved people budget rewarded from loaded savegames in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved Creative custom gamestart to be less restrictive with special ships and blueprints.
  • [Beta 6] Improved zoom sensitivity when using mouse wheel in Station Build menu.
  • [Beta 6] Improved snapping to connections in Build Station menu.
  • [Beta 6] Improved Station Build menu by allowing vertical camera movement (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved Station Build menu by accelerating free view movement speed (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved Station Build menu by letting mouse dragging and wheel move camera in free view (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved lighting in Station Build menu (improves previous improvement in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved starting camera angle in Station Build menu to make vertical axis default rotation axis (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Improved map position to centre on player start sector when changing it in custom gamestart editor (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed autopilot getting stuck in loop on highway ring if full path to destination is not known.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed jumping between highways on autopilot.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed police authority menu not working if too many sectors are player-owned.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Collision Avoidance not working even if game setting is set.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed ships not firing at stations even if target directly in front of barrel.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed defence drones set to Attack my Current Target docking without engaging shortly after launch.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed ware transfer sometimes stalling with one ship locked in critical state.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed subordinates sometimes docking at their respective commanders indefinitely.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed ships sometimes not been able to dock in enclosed docks.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Mass Traffic clumping together (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Amplifier Station in Save Them From Themselves mission not leaving behind wreck.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Coffin Ship sometimes not undocking during To the Other Side mission in Split Story.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Fires of Fate mission in Split story not progressing when sabotaging Ravenous Wight.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed control and upgrade problems when starting in spacesuit in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed player ship being warped out of The Boneyard when setting Split story state in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed pilots and managers of custom gamestart player property sometimes being invisible (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed player stations in custom gamestarts potentially overlapping each other (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed player stations in custom gamestarts having illegal plots (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed target shortcuts targeting wrecked objects (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed wrong object being in focus after reopening Map (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed links to Map from Logbook not setting focus to correct object (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed angle jump when starting to rotate module in Station Build menu (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed inability to drag or rotate module in Station Build menu immediately after dragging or rotating (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed sector background in station editor rotating with player ship (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed camera reset not working on Map if map is rotated (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Manage Plots tab not working when closing and reopening Map menu (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed right click in Station Build menu immediately rotating modules when opening module context menu (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed encyclopedia links being available in Ship Configuration menu when using custom gamestart editor (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed missing or incorrect paint theme in ship preview and Ship Configuration menus in custom gamestart editor (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed player property manager or pilot skills not being initialised correctly in custom gamestart editor (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed crew slider for ships in custom gamestarts not working correctly (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 6] Fixed sharp line on Katana cockpit glass.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed Nimcha landing gear not being attached properly.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed object outlines with AMD FSR enabled.
  • [Beta 6] Fixed several causes of crashes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also important info, theyre pushing back the ventures stuff again. I'm fine with that personally, the 4.1 changes are all very good overall.

Edit: Also I didnt see this mentioned anywhere. Theres a new sector in Sol, Saturn 2. It has pretty much all resources so theres 3 sectors now for terrans to grab their resources from. It's also all in one big hex so its good for auto miners.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The change to make it so you can zoom in on the vertical axis is so good. Makes it so much easier to build stations now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For some wild and crazy reason I was under the impression that "Attack my Current Enemy" on ships you're not piloting would, you know, attack "whatever thing I've set that ship to attack". I was disabused of this notion when after many, many hours, I finally sat IS on a fleet of asgards attacking a station, accidentally targetted a defense drone, and had 30 plasma turrets pivot immediately and vaporize it.

Oops.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw this is now 50% off for a week. I enjoyed X3 and making automated trade routes and that's about it. They still got all that?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
They sure do. The interface takes a little getting used to post X3 but you can do a lot more in this one from the main map than ever if you're into the management side of things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though I would say there is a lot less emphasis on making trade routes now and more on actually producing stuff on stations. For the most part trade is just "assign traders to a station" and then the station decides what they should be doing. As of a recent patch though I think you technically can set up specific routes if you want to.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You absolutely can set up manual trade routes, there's repeat orders which will let you configure your own trade loop for example.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If I remember X3 right, it's been a long while, it had a very in depth trade system where you could buy software to do route planning across half the galaxy. I think I had 20 ships at one time doing nothing but trading all over and it was awesome.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If anyone is reading this thread and doesn't own X3, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude are 3.19 and 1.99 respectively.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I actually don't but based on everything mentioned earlier ITT I feel like it'd be hard to start late and go backwards

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah X4 makes a lot of interface improvements, it would probably be very awkward jumping back if it's your first entry in the series.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you really enjoy setting stuff up by hand and fighting the interface every step of the way, then X3 is your game :v: If you've never seen how stations are built in X3 it's unbelievable how much X4 improves it.

The main draws I guess would be the big galaxy, the plot content, and a lot of ships etc, though if you have the X4 expansions that's less relevant, oh also if you really like the X3 combat balance which... well the fighter combat can be quite fun but it operates largely on a strict "big ships kill everything" rule, except for missile destroyers which can poo poo out the economic production of an entire empire in munitions to destroy everything in a sector which is hilarious, with the only limitation really being how many missiles you can afford :v:

Philthy posted:

If I remember X3 right, it's been a long while, it had a very in depth trade system where you could buy software to do route planning across half the galaxy. I think I had 20 ships at one time doing nothing but trading all over and it was awesome.

In X4 I think it's a bit better honestly, there is room for that sort of thing but for the most part it's about strategically positioning and developing production stations around the universe and actually physically bolstering the economy of factions you want to favour. There is a lot less emphasis on just building a single weedplex somewhere and setting the price to 1 credit below average, or buying a huge pile of UTs to teleport around the map and print money.

You also can use simple stations to essentially create a tiered distribution system for your goods which I like too. Ship across the universe with big freighters to depot stations, then use a swarm of last mile couriers to get it to all the stations in an area.

While you can set up strict repeat orders I wouldn't do it for anything other than distributing to those depots, for the most part the game expects and runs better if you just throw a pile of ships at a station and let the AI sort out what they should do.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 25, 2021

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
X3AP does let you play some of the fantastic mods like Litcube or Mayhem that totally transform the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is true, I still don't think I could go back to the interface though. Also some of the themes of those mods are just core mechanics in X4 which is nice. I would like a mode that has a real focus on beating an intelligent opponent corp or something though. I think there might be mods that do that for X4 to a greater or lesser degree but I haven't tried them.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
There is a mod, perhaps its russian, called the time of truth, or something like that, [i went and checked, its called "rise of the ossian raider"] wherin bargain basement "terrans" compete against you as a race, similarly to LitCubes wackyness in X3.
it was released over a year ago, and well before we got the actual terrans, it created a couple of sectors off of Nopilious, both having an abandoned large ship. it was fun, especially paired with Dead Air Gate, (looooads a sectors mod)

I got X4 on release, One of the things i really wanted was the rotate station stuff on another axis, and i'm pretty surprised they actually decided to do that, Delightful!
Personally, and i know its cheesy, as I have restarted so many times, I just use the "battle" start of the test starts, and cheat myself ownership of the opposing fleet as well, then groove over to hatikva and admire ball dusters amazingly large shoes.
for cash I'm usually Pirating everything I can, and standings I get by having fleets of 5x tethys vanguards bopping around trading. the trade fleets dont make much, but every buy and sell nudges the standings up a bit.
I usually park ships in the Teladi Trade and pirate stations to buy and sell dodgy stuff (again mods), get as many of those little "make a scan point" bombs as i can & steal blueprints, then start making stations.
Usually starting in Nopilious and taking it over with an admin asap, and snapping up any other "untaken" non plot areas (plus some added by mods), once I have a Building ship, I park it up near where the phq spawns and start the bozo missions.

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 31, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
  • [Beta 7] Added more ship system indicators to crosshairs, including flight assist, aim assist and others.
  • [Beta 7] Added mission ship loadouts to Ship Configuration menu.
  • [Beta 7] Added ware volume info to storage nodes in Logical Station Overview
  • [Beta 7] Added option to reset station module rotation in Station Build menu.
  • [Beta 7] Improved docking of non-capital ships.
  • [Beta 7] Improved capital ship combat movement when pursuing fleeing targets.
  • [Beta 7] Improved selling behaviour of station-based miners assigned to stations that require more than one mineable resource.
  • [Beta 7] Improved speed display in crosshairs.
  • [Beta 7] Improved info box of selected object on Map by making it transparent when cursor is over it.
  • [Beta 7] Improved readability of filtered wares in remaining cargo list in Map menu.
  • [Beta 7] Improved distribution of crew roles for player owned ships in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Improved relation budgets balancing in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Improved visualisation of property budget costs in Custom Gamestart Editor (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Improved handling of out-of-gpu-memory conditions.
  • [Beta 7] Removed AMD FSR support (new feature in 4.10, postponed for a later update).
  • [Beta 7] Removed visualisation of module connections in Build Menu while not dragging module.
  • [Beta 7] Removed orange order icons for ships with order failures (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed NPC station managers sometimes giving double rewards.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed excessive damage when missiles hit certain targets.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed lasertowers sometimes locking on to distant targets when hostile targets are within firing range.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed Split factions not rebuilding trading stations.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed Shuffle modules option in Station Editor when modules include Terran solar panels.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed HQ warping to wrong position during first encounter.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed Boso Ta dialog not playing when browsing research menu.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed menu crash when cancelling ship orders under certain circumstances.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed save name not being immediately changeable if there is no save yet.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed long range scan getting stuck when triggered while menu is open.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed missing countermeasure blueprints in encyclopedia.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed flight assist and auto-pilot control messages not being shown after loading saves.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed storage nodes in Logical Station Overview not marked restricted under certain circumstances.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed links to Map from Logbook not setting correct component in focus again (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed High-Mass Teleportation 2 research not being available when unlocking first research in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed Duke's Haven not allowing ships to dock with certain story states selected in custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed missing station known setting after importing custom gamestart (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed missing countermeasure and lasertower blueprints in custom gamestarts (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed not being able to remove HQ subordinates in custom gamestarts (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed known sectors in custom gamestarts being removable even if player property is present (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed outdated satellite coverage data when importing or resetting custom gamestarts (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed crew of ships in property of custom gamestart not being exported correctly (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed station and satellite positions not saved in exported custom gamestarts (new feature in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed WASD controls in Build menu not working while paused (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7] Fixed cockpit glass on Falcon not registering collisions.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed floating light and mirrored faction logo on Jian.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed inverted panel texture in security office.
  • [Beta 7] Fixed being able to jump out of bounds in shops on docking areas.
  • [Beta 7 HF 1] Fixed defenders in boarding operation earning experience when boarding attempt is cancelled or fails before marines even breach hull.
  • [Beta 7 HF 1] Fixed pilots from player owned shipyards being random races instead of workforce races.
  • [Beta 7 HF 1] Fixed Ship Information menu not displaying when ship mods are present (problem introduced in 4.10).
  • [Beta 7 HF 1] Fixed several causes of crashes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
4.10 was released! Gigantic changelog here:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/392160/view/2987563339312910258

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can do some fun stuff with those starts. Ally with the Khaak (for how long I wonder lol)! Turn off the ring highways! Turn off all highways! Have a junker Asgard! gently caress the galaxy's relations up!

There's also a "budgeted" variant if you're playing unmodded to edit based only on what you've personally achieved, which seems interesting

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the custom start stuff looks really awesome. As soon as I’m done with X3FL then I’m back in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drat a maximum thunderdome everyone-fights-everyone start could be pretty fun.

Presumably it also works with custom sectors too so maybe with one of those that makes a big map too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I couldn't spot an option to have every species hostile towards every other species, is that something that's not implemented or am I just blind?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh apparently yeah you can only modify relations with the player, that kinda sucks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
https://imgur.com/a/fkCXpYL

A list of things that influence your custom start budget / values.

It's really weird as per usual for Egosoft.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

thats just the Grade system from Tales games

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
A fun new post patch bug with this game is, out of system the turrets seem to have a hell of a time shooting anything.

I have had my miners continuously harassed by a fighter while a couple corvettes chase them and never hit.

I have to teleport into the system to get them to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Not sure if anyone's interested but I published my first mod (yay!) to speed up station module construction; there were a couple really old mods that worked on everything except the CoH DLC and goddamn, remembering how long it took put enough dent in my currnet modless playthrough that I just had to figure out how to implement this.

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/776