Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

I do wish they would bring back Rebirth style jump drives. Those were cool, especially due to that one mission where you exfil from a battle by landing on a capital as it charges, and you get to stand on the flight deck with tracers and explosions going on overhead while the jump drive activates and teleports to safety.
That one is up there with "Dive dive dive, pilot! Hit Your burners!" in scenes that are just seared into my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Phew, well, I've been through a battle where it was my Asgard against eleven Ks and one I, in Tharka's Cascade... At least I know now that, when player-controlled and with some heat management, the Asgard can punch through them without much hassle, even when the Ks start blastin'!

Question though: When I get to the point where I can liberate the Yaki from their precarious position, will they build up within their sector, or are they simply destined to sit there maintaining what they've currently got, rather than doing anything interesting?
Since if it's the latter... is it worth building my own defence platform in their sector, to hopefully shelter them a little? (Since IIRC according to the quest fluff they would 'break cover' once free and not be maintaining their IFF disguise) Or will they just... keep on sitting there, doing nothing yet also being safe from the xenon and Commonwealth?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Question though: When I get to the point where I can liberate the Yaki from their precarious position, will they build up within their sector, or are they simply destined to sit there maintaining what they've currently got, rather than doing anything interesting?

Unfortunately, the Yaki A heart for Pirates ending does not lead to any further development from the Yaki - they won't build ships to trade/build, nor build stations. They remain as they are now, except neutral with most other major factions instead of hostile.
It's a bummer, but you get to enjoy the warm and fuzzy feeling you helped them escape a potentially horrific fate? :shobon:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lamquin posted:

Unfortunately, the Yaki A heart for Pirates ending does not lead to any further development from the Yaki - they won't build ships to trade/build, nor build stations. They remain as they are now, except neutral with most other major factions instead of hostile.
It's a bummer, but you get to enjoy the warm and fuzzy feeling you helped them escape a potentially horrific fate? :shobon:

Ah, fair enough! A shame really, but not unexpected, given how X4 works. Good to hear they become neutral with the other factions, at least! I guess I'll just have to 100% clear the sector, then take them under my wing with a defence platform or two.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
What do I need to do to get the Zyarth back on their feet? They were absolutely devastated by the Xenon. I have all the Xenon borders blockaded, and a fleet of miners feeding them raw materials, and factories supplying missing materials. It has been 10-12 hours and they are still not recovering. I don't have a shipyard so I can't feed them ships yet. What else can I do?

Also does anyone have experience with the Mules mod? I set up a storage station and set several freighters to collect wares from my factories, but they seem to just move a few hundred graphene and energy cells around instead of what I told them to do.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Travic posted:

What do I need to do to get the Zyarth back on their feet? They were absolutely devastated by the Xenon. I have all the Xenon borders blockaded, and a fleet of miners feeding them raw materials, and factories supplying missing materials. It has been 10-12 hours and they are still not recovering. I don't have a shipyard so I can't feed them ships yet. What else can I do?

Also does anyone have experience with the Mules mod? I set up a storage station and set several freighters to collect wares from my factories, but they seem to just move a few hundred graphene and energy cells around instead of what I told them to do.

You're pretty much doing all you can to help them. Feed them resources through your miners and have an army of auto traders transferring goods between their stations - Split stations have woeful storage capacity and that tends to be the biggest weakness in their economy ( after the lack of raw resources in their systems ), which means you need a lot of Boas to keep transferring goods between the stations to keep them productive. If their Wharves, Shipyards and War Forge have been destroyed, they will have started rebuilding them somewhere, track them down and supply them with construction mats ( and hopefully they have an Elephant to actually finish the construction ).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Force-feeding their shipyards directly is probably the best approach if you don't have shipyards yourself-- my recollection is that under the hood all NPC factions have infinite cash but everything beyond that is legitimate, supply-line wise. If you can keep on top of what they're willing to buy they'll keep buying it.

e2: if you want to get into light modding, there's a mod that lets you "sell" stations to NPC factions. Since factions won't build in sectors they don't have some claim in already, you can pass ownership of a brick in space to try to convince them into jump-starting expansion, since otherwise I think only the Xenon will ever actually expand by default.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 1, 2024

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Force-feeding their shipyards directly is probably the best approach if you don't have shipyards yourself

It's this, to start. Set up some traders to go out and grab whatever they need (preferrably from your own stations). I might be thinking of the mules mod, but I was able to set the ZYA shipyards as the home base for a substantial trading fleet and if they're in a tight spot like I found them then they'll make ships faster than you can bring in goods.

If you do have shipyards, just be careful about who you open them up to. I have a post a while back about the hilarity that ensued when - in the course of trying to help the ZYA back on their feet - I allowed ARG to buy ships from my shipyards. They bought hundreds and hundreds of ships and sent them all to ZYA space and they promptly wrecked the poo poo out of them capturing several sectors. To be clear I don't really care and just sat back laughing my rear end off. But I wanted to save the ZYA first, and then fuel everyone involved in their forever wars.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok thank you. I'll send a fleet of traders up there. Zyarth's entire navy at this point consists of 2-3 medium traders 1-2 large traders 3 Rattlesnakes and a Raptor.

I downloaded the Recycle Stations mod and handed two systems back to the Zyarth. Soon to be three. Yeah. They got wrecked.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The X4 player character is one of the worst people in the history of gaming. Starting multiple wars and arming both sides for profit over and over.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Decided to get back into X4, but the campaign when I last played was Split Vendetta.
Which are the good starts to see Terran, Boron and Tides of Avarice content? Any of the new ones, or just some old sandbox start.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Decided to get back into X4, but the campaign when I last played was Split Vendetta.
Which are the good starts to see Terran, Boron and Tides of Avarice content? Any of the new ones, or just some old sandbox start.

The start added with the Boron DLC (Emergence) has several breadcrumbs at its later stage for finding the new plotlines, so I'd highly recommend it.

If you'd rather just have a list of which plotline is where and how to get it, the Egosoft wiki has a list of the plotlines and the requirements to start them

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Antigravitas posted:

There's a good reason why they initially removed SETA from the series. It's a crutch that messes with the simulation.

I do wish they would bring back Rebirth style jump drives. Those were cool, especially due to that one mission where you exfil from a battle by landing on a capital as it charges, and you get to stand on the flight deck with tracers and explosions going on overhead while the jump drive activates and teleports to safety.

For Rebirths issue's it did have some cool set pieces that took advantage of the engine tech. X4 is missing that.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I just had a build storage dump it's entire contents. No pirates around. Just a bug or is something else going on?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Welp.

I had a 17 day save that had just reached the point where I had started up my first Shipyard and I'm almost able to solve my problems with swarms of destroyers. A little earlier this week 'Uncharted Skies' had an update (helpfully pushed by steam) that rotates a few gates to make the mod more compatible with some other mods that alter the map.

This has the side effect of cloning some gates in old saves. This breaks the pathing of ships meaning some sectors are forever unreachable. Including my chip fab (My 128 unit chip fab.)

This would have been prevented by keeping a rotating set of saves but X4 is a game just stable enough to accept an iron man approach but just buggy enough to punish you for trying to take the iron man approach.

I guess it was time for a break anyway. I'll come back for 7.0, just in time to have my heart broken by new, more interesting, mod mishaps

Edit: The author released a back-up version and I was able to restore the save. That was agonizing.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 27, 2024

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

coming back to X4 after a two year break and god drat if these aren't the absolute worst first-person controls I've ever encountered in a game. How did I put 400 hours in this (by standing in a station playing galaxy manager simulator)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

thunderspanks posted:

How did I put 400 hours in this (by standing in a station playing galaxy manager simulator)

:hmmyes:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
7.0 beta seems out now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dumQL9dK-c

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/392160?emclan=103582791460032630&emgid=4146197332005810099

quote:

- Ships now utilise Travel Mode more effectively
- Flyable Xenon Ships for the First Time in X4
- New Feature: Improved AI.

Welp guess I'll start a new playthrough!

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 4, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think for this beta sequence, I'll just wait until it's fully out - but even just those three means it's definitely going to mean at least one new scenario played.

The rest of the notes look very interesting, too.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Normally I would skip the betas but I keep having this annoying crash upon exiting with the Linux version and they don't really seem to address bugs like that outside of beta windows. So it's a good enough excuse to wade in ;)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think for this beta sequence, I'll just wait until it's fully out - but even just those three means it's definitely going to mean at least one new scenario played.

The rest of the notes look very interesting, too.

A custom start with (some) Xenon ships against the existential threat sounds like a great way to start a new 200 hour run through lmao

I'm not building that loving palace again though that can start finished too

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Being able to save layouts of stations is a loving god-send for multiple playthroughs.

I've got a whole collection of layouts for all sorts of different bases with storage - I just load them up, and press the randomize button a few times, and they all look unique.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Some interesting things in those patch notes:

quote:

New Feature:
- Observation Deck module for stations.

In addition to all this new content, the 7.00 update also includes significant gameplay enhancements, such as the introduction of the "Existential Crisis" endgame challenge
for veterans. This daunting confrontation pits players against a faction that spares no effort in its aggression, offering a thrilling new dimension of strategy and resilience. For those who prefer a more serene journey through the stars, this challenge can be opted out of, ensuring a tailored experience for every commander.

- Added auto-targeting of next hostile or next surface element on destruction of current target.

Plus another 5 pages of QoL changes. Other developers would sell this amount of content as a 20$ DLC.
There's also a lot more changes in the Egosoft public beta forums.

quote:

Improved balancing of mineral and gas region yields across whole map.
Here we are mostly looking for feedback on impact to existing games, but general feedback is good too. While there were some cuts in some locations, this should not impact the overall availability, in fact there should be more gases.
Improved balancing of stellar output across all systems to match stars and locations.
Following community feedback we adjusted the Stellar Output to match the star type and system look as much as possible to have a consistent "formula" across the map. This means that there is now much more variation, in both directions. Here too we are looking mostly for feedback on how much this impacts existing saves, but also general feedback as well.
Improved ware allocation for wharfs, shipyards and equipment docks.
The way shipyards, wharves and equipment docks allocated wares was adjusted to have a more sensible balance based on what is required to build and equip ships. In addition several of these stations were deemed to have too little storage and as such their construction plans were adjusted. This is also be patched to existing saves, so that these stations will eventually expand to add the additional storage.
Improved price balancing for several MK2 weapons.
Some weapons were asking for very high amounts of Advanced Electronics, which inflated the demand. As such we adjusted the pricing for some of those weapons to additional wares, but maintaining the price. The feedback that we are looking for here is if that impacts ships production, hopefully in a positive way and not have the now less inflated demand, improve the wharves production.
Improved balancing of storage volume for S and M storage modules.
Here we increased the capacity for some of the S and M modules. This has the effect that existing stations will end up with more storage, which may in short term have some impact in pricing, but will balance itself out. For new NPC stations this will impact the decisions they make on which modules to use and require less modules to achieve their desired storage capacity. If you note anything strange due to this please report.
Several smaller fixes and improvements for Construction Vessels.
We adjusted the jobs distribution to have some CV focus more on their own faction construction tasks. Also adjusted their logic to avoid them idling in enemy sectors. This should have a positive impact, especially to NPC construction. If you spot any problems with this please make a note.
Build Storage of deconstructed stations sell their wares first
This will make so that the build storage of any station that has been deconstructed will try to sell the wares before the build storage gets removed. This should return at least a portion of the wares back to the economy. Please note if you find any issues with this.
Improved miner decision-making
This should improve the choice miners make where to mine, especially systems contested by hostile factions. They also should not clump together as much on one spot. Feedback on the impact of these is welcome.
New Clusters
Several new clusters have been added, some will have established economies some only resources. Feedback on the impact of those would also be appreciated.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 4, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oooh, they were really hesitant to change solar ouput in the original sectors. If they actually changed the old ones, that's pretty big.

Also, that #deca at the end there. :sickos:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I loaded up my old Ventures Beta save with the new Beta as it was the only save that didn't have any mods, and was met with Xenon and Khaak capital ships in Nopelios's Fortune, and a wrong voiced Boso Ta asking me to investigate ( presumably this kicks off the Existential Threat mode, which to be fair my in Ventures save I'm sitting on 11.5 billion credits, multiple Asgard Fleets, capital shipyards and I'm mid way through a Terraforming project so it's not unwarranted ). There's a really annoying glow to the UI that I need to turn off, and jumping into a Dragon I had waiting in system, then Delilah's Swansong I had retired to defending my first capital shipyard, I do have to say I like the new 3rd person camera.

Boso want's 500mil to solve the threat or to get us to join up with the other factions to find a solution to the new Xenon threat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Khaak cap ships?! Do they reak up into a heap of smaller ones when you destroy them, like in X3? :allears: Man I've gotta dive into X4 again when this expack comes out. I don't really care for the stuff requiring new starts, but if there's a "Coalition Final Fury" mission that gets everyone joining up against the AI and bug threats, I'm beelining for it!

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

... a wrong voiced Boso Ta ... There's a really annoying glow to the UI that I need to turn off

The Boso voice isn't a replacement voice actor (like Dal was in Kingdom End when they couldn't get ahold of the old voice actor) but a WIP according to the beta thread. At least I hope they keep the old Boso voice!

As for the glow, I don't get it and feel it looks pretty awful. Luckily, you can easily turn it off or down in the Video options.

A fun 6.20 change that might've passed under the radar is that you can now also switch between main menu backgrounds in Game Settings -> "Start Menu Background Scene" at the bottom.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Major Isoor posted:

Khaak cap ships?! Do they reak up into a heap of smaller ones when you destroy them, like in X3? :allears: Man I've gotta dive into X4 again when this expack comes out. I don't really care for the stuff requiring new starts, but if there's a "Coalition Final Fury" mission that gets everyone joining up against the AI and bug threats, I'm beelining for it!

The Khaak Ravager doesn't break up to babby Khaak ships, but it wiped my corvette escort off the board with it's beam turrets as I approached ( combination Terran main guns and Paranid L plasma turrets finished the intruder ), but now I need to hurry an Asgard in production as the Xenon I is laying waste to my defenceless stations. My industry in Nopelios's Fortune has mostly been laying idle after I had completed the Paranid missions and moved to resecure former Split space from the Xenon and aid the Boron expansion into the emptied sectors, but it's an insult that needs to be addressed. I do need to explore if the new sectors are present or decide to start a new game.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Antigravitas posted:

Also, that #deca at the end there. :sickos:

:cursed:

the deca in albion prelude is one of the baddest mothers around. something about x3's buttery art direction is missing in x4 — the deca here looks like a toy. all the ships kinda have this bionicle vibe. :/ absolutely gonna rebuild
my fleet on a new 7.00 save though

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The Existential Crisis comes when you hit half a Billion in asset value. I'm not sure what determines where the Xenon/Khaak attack, in my case it was Nopelios's Fortune VI which wasn't my most valuable system but was the first I had claimed, my PHQ was in Teladi space mid Terraforming and definitely my single most valuable asset, and I have other systems with dozens of stations. If you maintain strong defences on your stations you'll probably be ok until the Xenon I takes notice, but they won't come through the gates so you won't be stopping them with your fancy gate traps.

Oh HAI, build storages are targetable, maybe now I'll finally be rid of the Vig menace in Windfall

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 5, 2024

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The new station/capital explosion are fantastic, as is the new 3rd person camera.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that seems like an improvement on the explosions and fire mod I used, glad they're focusing on things like that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Maybe some day they'll fix the teleport effect going off seconds before the teleport!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Anyone else on the beta having a problem with automine? Buying station is in the same system, with a 9k buy order, but my miners just idle with a full cargo load. I can manually order the trade and it works so it's not an availability or dock access problem.

edit: I think I might have figured it out. The lowest silicon sell price I can specify for repeat order is 111 cr. The station is buying at 110. I bet the autominer is obeying the 111 minimum. I've never encountered this before so I don't know if I'm right, if this is a previously known issue or if there's way around it. I guess I'll test a few things.

edit2: yep that's exactly what it was. as soon as the price went up by 1 cr everything started working. well, TIL.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 5, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yea, it's loving weird that prices can drop to below what any trades can sell for.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

thunderspanks posted:

Anyone else on the beta having a problem with automine? Buying station is in the same system, with a 9k buy order, but my miners just idle with a full cargo load. I can manually order the trade and it works so it's not an availability or dock access problem.

edit: I think I might have figured it out. The lowest silicon sell price I can specify for repeat order is 111 cr. The station is buying at 110. I bet the autominer is obeying the 111 minimum. I've never encountered this before so I don't know if I'm right, if this is a previously known issue or if there's way around it. I guess I'll test a few things.

edit2: yep that's exactly what it was. as soon as the price went up by 1 cr everything started working. well, TIL.

If you have a recent unmodified save handy showing this, probably post your findings in their Beta feedback forum, looks like someone else has mentioned the auto pricing being a little weird but not gone into greater detail.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

ZombyDog posted:

If you have a recent unmodified save handy showing this, probably post your findings in their Beta feedback forum, looks like someone else has mentioned the auto pricing being a little weird but not gone into greater detail.

I blew away the save, sadly, but it was a custom start- I'm starting a new one with the standard Terran start and if the problem persists I'll definitely be passing it along. Being the previously mentioned 'Galaxy manager simulator' kind of player, this is a real big PITA for me. ALL the silicon prices crashed to 110 so I feel like its not just them trying some new balancing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I might misremember it but your standing has an affect on pricing? I forgot if you can get a malus on pricing if they dislike you enough but still let you dock. That way your sale price could get pushed below minimum values for a ware.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Apparently there's a new slow-motion toggle in 7?? Can't wait to try that, totally missed it in the huge changelog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

FrickenMoron posted:

I might misremember it but your standing has an affect on pricing? I forgot if you can get a malus on pricing if they dislike you enough but still let you dock. That way your sale price could get pushed below minimum values for a ware.

The custom start I made had 0 rep across the board (among a bunch of other stuff) so to remove variables I decided on a fresh terran start. +10 rep, but the issue persists. Silicon trades only exist at 110 and automining/repeat orders can't be completed as a result. I'll be submitting the save and report later this afternoon once I'm home. That Beta Test Life baby