Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
An argument can be made that the Monocal Debacle DID sink CCP, along everything else they hosed up at the time, since the company entered a rapid spiral of layoffs and then sold out to some gacha maker from China.

Egosoft OTOH is janky but at least they aren't actively malicious. I kinda felt sorry for them during Rebirth as you could tell they were trying to salvage a project and their company without destroying the fanbase, rather than milk whales for a new Lambo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
My general hope for X4's ship interior stuff is that I can do some level of fleet command from a bridge while I have an AI pilot in place, since all of the various games that tout that idea always tend to die in development.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

OwlFancier posted:

Did you see the boron ships in X3?

Or the paranid?

Or the khaak?

Mos def. They look like thematic fantasy spaceships, but more desaturated/somewhat utilitarian and less Freelancer/someone’s plastic model collection. I guess the caveat I should keep in mind is the big “yo graphics gonna change” note at the start of the gameplay video, so

What’s the ur-example of being able to walk around your ship in this genre? I get the appeal but I’ve only seen half-baked attempts, I think.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There isn't one to my knowledge. It is the eternal pipe dream.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hav posted:

It's a reboot of the universe. I'm a huge Boron fan, and can only hope they come in later. Kha'ak were in Home of Light, and I believe Xenon are still around.

I think we've already seen some Xenon ships in X4.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Rodina is an in development indie attempt at it.

There's also Rogue System which is going for insane hardcore simulation so it needs a pretty heavily modelled ship.

It's something I've always wanted as well. Even if it's an assigned player ship give me the feeling of owning my own Millennium Falcon or Bebop.

Basically I want Privateer but with some more immersive and rpg elements.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re: interiors from a dev over on Reddit

Egosoft Dev posted:

The modelled interiors are relatively limited. It's mainly the cockpit/bridge, the docks if there are any, and potentially a ship exit ramp you can reach via elevator.

The technology allows dynamically adding more interiors, for example crew quarters or an engine room, but at launch there won't be any on ships.

E: Not sure if this got posted or not.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 26, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Would be kind of cool to get a captains cabin of some sort later on (that varies between ships) but interiors are a lot of work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hav posted:

Edit: Am I the only person that couldn't give a gently caress for walking around?

If I wanted to get up and walk around I'd just stand up from my computer chair, amen.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

If I wanted to get up and walk around I'd just stand up from my computer chair, amen.

I want to have Space Amazon deliver my space goods to me.

Face-to-face transactions are so late-C19th.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After playing Rebirth, Evochron, and No Man's Sky, it's hard for me to imagine planetary or station landing that doesn't turn out to be boring and detract from the rest of the game

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

An argument can be made that the Monocal Debacle DID sink CCP, along everything else they hosed up at the time, since the company entered a rapid spiral of layoffs and then sold out to some gacha maker from China.

I'd accept that, but I'd also want the RMT taken into consideration. Going 'over the table' with ISK selling may have cut down on the grey market, but they actually increased their profile for gold farmers. The acquisition was not entirely random. I certainly dropped all my characters around the time, but I was at the point where I was looking for an excuse.

Pretty much my last MMO, too.

Rime posted:

Egosoft OTOH is janky but at least they aren't actively malicious. I kinda felt sorry for them during Rebirth as you could tell they were trying to salvage a project and their company without destroying the fanbase, rather than milk whales for a new Lambo.

Yeah, that's one of the things that had me cursing Bernd after Rebirth, because he got real close to that line. On release the Rebirth economy was broken. Not funbroken like now, where you have to get some fusion reactors by crook, and the stations kick off 24 hour cycles at game start, but actually broken. Ships would lose their destinations, or just stop responding.

Oddly enough, they claim it's their most successful title.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

rt4 posted:

After playing Rebirth, Evochron, and No Man's Sky, it's hard for me to imagine planetary or station landing that doesn't turn out to be boring and detract from the rest of the game

Needs a mod where every time you dock, you have to play a random Doom/Doom2 map on Ultraviolence from a pistol start and complete it in order to actually do anything on the station/planet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the whole thing about station/planet exploration is it’s the kind of thing that’s neat the first time and then just and extra pain in the rear end step to getting stuff done for the entire rest of the game.

I think the problem is that in most space sims the on foot experience amounts to a glorified menu that takes forever to navigate. There’s rarely ever any sort of on foot gameplay that’s more complex than just “talk to npc to trade” or “find the hidden loot chest”. On the flip side, more complex gameplay just means more stuff to do that isn’t flying a spaceship, in a game that’s about flying spaceships. Having a whole FPS element sounds neat on paper but in practice people who want to play an FPS will just play an FPS. The more different types of gameplay you have in a game, the less cohesive the whole experience will feel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taerkar posted:

I think we've already seen some Xenon ships in X4.

Interestingly there is a picture of a very X3 looking Xenon fighter on the SOTD.

I wonder if they're backtracking away from the insect designs from X Rebirth, would be a bit of a shame if so because I quite liked the robot space bugs.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I did too honestly. I also hope there are some systems as neat looking as Devries/the bit of Omicron Lyrae which is in the atmosphere.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they'll handle the cockpit stuff for Xenon ships. It doesn't make sense for them to have a chair, life support, and space to walk around. In X3 they could sidestep this because the ships didn't feel very personal anyway, but adding interiors changes that a bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

I wonder how they'll handle the cockpit stuff for Xenon ships. It doesn't make sense for them to have a chair, life support, and space to walk around. In X3 they could sidestep this because the ships didn't feel very personal anyway, but adding interiors changes that a bit.

IIRC there was justification in X3's lore. The Xenon keep building ships with cockpits because their ships are still built off old Terran designs so they think the cockpit is necessary.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kha'akpit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

It's possible that you just won't be able to personally pilot Xenon ships.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC there was justification in X3's lore. The Xenon keep building ships with cockpits because their ships are still built off old Terran designs so they think the cockpit is necessary.

Ugh, I wish I didn't know this

Orv posted:

Kha'akpit.

:eyepop:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it'd be clever if they played up that X3 thing by making the interiors basically still usable by humans but not like, comfortable. Something where the basic requirements are still there but they've mutated over time as the Xenon AI has evolved in the time between then and X4.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it'd be clever if they played up that X3 thing by making the interiors basically still usable by humans but not like, comfortable. Something where the basic requirements are still there but they've mutated over time as the Xenon AI has evolved in the time between then and X4.
Nah. Make them as luxurious as possible as a deliberate slight against the organics who will never accomplish such masterful cockpit design.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Only 3 days left. I'm pretty hyped.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I just want that X3 Manual Landing music back in this one

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Inverness posted:

Only 3 days left. I'm pretty hyped.

Ditto. It's too bad (for Egosoft I guess, it's actually pretty good for me) that Rebirth was bad enough at launch for me to not pre-order this one. Excited to see what those of you who dive on the grenade have to say about it though!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope this game is good, I loved X3 TC

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Reminder X:2, X:3 and X: Rebirth were all train wrecks at launch to one degree or another.

Don't hype yourself up that it's going to be bug free as AP or something that has had years to be patched.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want this to be good but the total lack of any info from Egosoft is disconcerting. Like hell, even just a Tweet saying "We hope you enjoy X4: Foundations this Friday!". Just say something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Popete posted:

I want this to be good but the total lack of any info from Egosoft is disconcerting. Like hell, even just a Tweet saying "We hope you enjoy X4: Foundations this Friday!". Just say something.

They've been tweeting "X days to release!" every few days. They're very much an old school game company at heart, even if they showed off some of the game in dev.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plus the last game they hyped didn't go well.

They've mostly been saying to people to wait on reviews after it launches if you aren't sure about it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It seems like they are purposefully avoiding hype at all costs just in case it turns into another Rebirth. We'll see how it turns out.

And yeah, Rebirth got hyped to hell only to come out and be panned to poo poo tier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Plus the last game they hyped didn't go well.

They've mostly been saying to people to wait on reviews after it launches if you aren't sure about it.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* I mean it's fair, they're releasing it on the release date. As opposed to the common practice now of releasing it before the release date.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I expect it to be a mess, but hopefully one with less absolutely why the gently caress would you do this mechanics than vanilla rebirth.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Pretty sure Rebirth came out before steam had refunds, so it being so utterly unplayable at launch was a lot worse than it would be now.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nah, steam refunds were launched just slightly before Rebirth.

I'm stoked to pick it up in a couple of months once the initial patches are out. Egosoft didn't really have to spend like five years patching Rebirth into playability, hopefully they've just reserved the ad budget for a steam front page banner or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Reminder X:2, X:3 and X: Rebirth were all train wrecks at launch to one degree or another.

Don't hype yourself up that it's going to be bug free as AP or something that has had years to be patched.

X:2 and X:3 were fundamentally good games though, they just had a lot of bugs. X: Rebirth at it's core is a terrible game that isn't fun and that can't be fixed without making what is basically releasing this Friday.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I played X3 at release and it was fun; I don't remember any particularly egregious bugs, so I'm pretty comfortable having pre-purchased X4. It might be wonky but it looks like it'll be a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I think this is one of those ones where I’ll wait a day or so just for those initial impressions, just to make sure it’s not a complete trainwreck, but barring any disasters I’ll definitely pick it up.