Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think bernd might still be stuck in 1990 which is why they haven't.

In other good news the latest 3.0 beta adds some new sectors, neutral ones north of The Void and east of Company Regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Has there been any serioustalk about Split Vendetta release date yet? Steam's still just giving Q1 2020.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

They had to push it back, so I think they want to be ironclad before committing. Beta 5 contained a ridiculous amount of bug fixes though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the stuff they're putting in the 3.0 betas are definitely worth the wait.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the endgame like these days?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I came back after a long time away because of GeForce Now and being away from my own rig. Game works great, but sadly, even though I’ve set it to the 3.0 beta test, Geforce only seems to have the 2.60 version.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno what geforce now is but you get the beta through steam. Password is IBackedUpMySaves I think.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the endgame like these days?

Lots more wars in the 3.0 version, though you still have to choose to get involved yourself.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 13, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GeForce Now is a cloud gaming streaming service. It launches a virtual box, which logs you into your steam account and launches the game. The problem is you don’t get to actually use the Steam interface yourself. I unlocked the beta locally on my own computer (which is to weak to run the game itself), but I guess GeForce only allows “curated” game versions (not all games are available there, and I guess betas are unsupported).

In any case, 2.60 is fine for now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm pretty sure that the XR ships don't make their performance targets for an X4 ship, so their internal view is that they'd have to totally remake them to put them in. But the way they talk about it comes across as a little dismissive and weird.

I think the X4 performance targets are probably too aggressive though, they could do with strapping more turrets onto ships at the least.

Performance as in how good/powerful they are? Cause it'd make sense for a bunch of old "obsolete" ships to still be around in tertiary roles. Hell, turn demilitarized M1s into large freighters.

Also, Split when?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Performance as in how well the game runs, I think. The X4 ships are far less complex model wise, the XR ones have a lot of internal detail.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh, that makes more sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They also, in the mod, don't have the textures set up right, the X4 models all have PBR textures, the rebirth ones don't and I don't know if that requires extra setup on the model or something.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are they seriously charging 30€ for a dlc that should have been base game content ?!

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Niche product tax

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Baller Time posted:

Niche product tax

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

To expand on that, most niche games don't sell enough volume to make money at the $60 mark so they charge $80-100 or release an unfinished version that they polish and release the rest of the game over the next few years charging $20 every 6 months. See basically any Paradox game.

The full version of the game is $80 and listed as "collectors edition" It includes the first 2 expansions. They might go for more, but 2 should get the game feature complete.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Everyone is waiting HARD in the split though.

maybe more boron, but eh.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to hear "NOoooooooooo.... waters failing" one more time

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way, is the Aran (and maybe THE HUB) in X4? I liked having a big ol' mothership in X3TC

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's slightly weird that the expansion and the double pack are the same price.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/942190/X4_Foundations_Collectors_Edition_Content/

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a goon discord for this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Michaellaneous posted:

It's single player, I'm not sure there'd be enough discussion to require that. I could see shoot the poo poo about random stuff while talking about what's going on in your game every so often type of Discord working but that would likely only be active around the time a new expansion comes out and the thread kind of serves for that and gets pretty active when there's new stuff coming out.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Beta 6 just dropped.

quote:

[Beta 6] New Feature: Paranid Ares heavy fighter and Xenon T scout.
[Beta 6] New Feature: New unlockable gamestart.
[Beta 6] New Feature: Oxygen display when player is in spacesuit.
[Beta 6] New Feature: Search facility for Logbook.

[Beta 6] Added Destroy Station and Destroy Station Turret missions to War Subscriptions.
[Beta 6] Added Interact menu option to collect individual deployables.
[Beta 6] Added Accept Estimate options to Station Info menu and Logical Station Overview.
[Beta 6] Added Start Guidance to Object option to interact menu of drops.
[Beta 6] Added option to rename ships in Ship Config menu when building/upgrading.
[Beta 6] Added option to disable highlighting of other visiting players in map and radar.
[Beta 6] Added option to toggle selection lines in map (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Added possibility to confirm second ship upgrade if first upgrade finished while Ship Config menu was open.
[Beta 6] Added possibility to restrict individual factions from buying ships at player-owned shipyards and wharves.
[Beta 6] Added weapon group shortcuts to Controls Option menu.
[Beta 6] Added mouse-over text for ship order icons in Object List and Property Owned.
[Beta 6] Added option to opt out of some confirmation messages.
[Beta 6] Added race-based engine trail colours.
[Beta 6] Added medium quality option for Screen Space Reflections.
[Beta 6] Added chromatic aberration option.
[Beta 6] Added new sector-specific music.
[Beta 6] Added music to Player Headquarters reveal.

[Beta 6] Removed countermeasure display in crosshair when player is in spacesuit.
[Beta 6] Removed the option to deploy consumables in highways.

[Beta 6] Improved aiming accuracy of weapons and turrets.
[Beta 6] Improved low attention combat calculations.

[Beta 6] Improved cargo drone handling of crates that get destroyed.
[Beta 6] Improved Flight School tutorial especially when playing with gamepad (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Improved trigger conditions for station budget transfer upkeep missions.
[Beta 6] Improved suspense music behaviour to reduce interruptions to normal music.
[Beta 6] Improved sector-specific music behaviour to play more often.
[Beta 6] Improved visualisation of mission guidance on platforms (new feature in 3.00).

[Beta 6] Fixed message about missing Builder ship from Station Build menu if no Builder ship actually needed.
[Beta 6] Fixed stations with automatic unit settings sometimes dismantling units and working with a reduced amount.
[Beta 6] Fixed ships sometimes ignoring certain highways for in-sector travel.
[Beta 6] Fixed subordinates set to Docked sometimes responding to attacks directed at other members of their fleet but not at them (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed fleet subordinates set to Docked getting stuck trying to dock when docking not possible (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed displayed speed being too low in some highways.
[Beta 6] Fixed weapons not properly activating or deactivating when assigned to both primary and secondary groups.
[Beta 6] Fixed ships doing damage with forward-mounted weapons to targets not in front of them when in low attention.
[Beta 6] Fixed attacking capital ships getting distracted by attacking fighters.

[Beta 6] Fixed stations not ordering components to build turrets if no other module changes are made.
[Beta 6] Fixed docked ship that player just relinquished control of waiting for player to tell it to proceed even if ship's current order does not require it to undock.
[Beta 6] Fixed subordinates in a subordinate group set to Docked not docking (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed potential cause of friendly NPC factions attacking each other due to accidental friendly fire.

[Beta 6] Fixed cases where NPCs assigned to objects do not arrive and remain missing.
[Beta 6] Fixed upkeep missions to assign crew not completing until crew take control.
[Beta 6] Fixed pirates hacking station storage not reacting to cover being blown or station being destroyed.
[Beta 6] Fixed cargo drones failing to transfer inventory items in collected crates to their drone commander's captain.
[Beta 6] Fixed capital ships doing little or no damage in low attention under certain conditions.
[Beta 6] Fixed more cases of ships ending up very far from the centre of their sector.
[Beta 6] Fixed several cases of docking guidance going through station geometry.
[Beta 6] Fixed docking guidance not being visible when loading a savegame.
[Beta 6] Fixed various issues with mission guidance on stations.
[Beta 6] Fixed case where player ship could suddenly change rotation when opening map.
[Beta 6] Fixed info menu failing to load if viewing a ship that has more cargo stored than it has storage space for.
[Beta 6] Fixed Station Build menu only showing first digit of number of modules (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed missing error colours in the shopping list for ship upgrades (problem introduced in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed another case of map getting stuck to cursor (problem introduced in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed repeated voice lines when talking to the flight instructor several times (new feature in 3.00).
[Beta 6] Fixed savegame names not auto-generating correct location name after overwriting a save once (existing savegames will not be fixed automatically).
[Beta 6] Fixed wrong blueprint error in Ship Build menu after returning from encyclopedia.
[Beta 6] Fixed Ship Interactions menu not working in certain circumstances.
[Beta 6] Fixed cases where text could be stuck on screen in first person mode.
[Beta 6] Fixed cases where crosshair was missing in first person person mode.
[Beta 6] Fixed silent failure when saving very large savegames.

[Beta 6] Fixed causes of several performance issues in specific circumstances.

[Beta 6] Fixed several causes of crashes.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Does "low attention" mean out of sector or is it some kind of in between state for in sector but far away?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

If I recall correctly, High Attention is the immediate area around the player, running 'normally. Mid attention is a little further than that, doing stuff like low framerate collision detection so that it can be geared up to high attention quickly if the player switches their view, and low attention is out of sector or quite far from player insector.

could be totes wrong though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I think low attention is OOS and possibly also very far away.

The new gamestart is apparently you start with the PHQ unlocked so that's nice.

Also, re: the price of the DLC:

quote:

The displayed €29,99 is the price of the Collector's Edition Content, not the price of X4: Split Vendetta. As announced in August 2019, the price for X4: Split Vendetta will be €14.99 / $14.99 / £12.49.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=422053&start=15#p4912669

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I started a new game yesterday evening and apparently they've tweaked the economy a lot. If you can get a few miners out early you can make a bunch of money until the refineries saturate, which is enough to buy a few traders to distribute the refined stuff and keep ore/silicon demand up. The xenon appear a lot more aggressive too. Had a Xenon destroyer wreck a few stations in The Void two hours in.

The economy in my previous save was hosed because no shipyard had enough hull plates to build anything and there were only two hull plate factories alive. I couldn't make money fast enough to build a hull plate factory so everything just ground to a halt.

Now the universe seems to be on overdrive.

Also, apparently you can now set user-defined alerts with almost arbitrary conditions? I haven't seen that in any patch notes. (playing beta branch)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The economy is incredibly fast now yeah, my old superfactory is constantly fully stocked on inputs and empty on outputs, feels a lot like X3 where you couldn't produce fast enough most of the time. All that product goes right into the shipyards and all those ships go right to war to get blown up.

Xenon come through the new south gate in The Void which connects to the southwest xenon territories so another conflict spot there, yeah.

It feels a lot more like playing X3 in some ways on the beta branch.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

What I still find mystifying is where the energy cell market went. In X3 everything was energy cell starved. You could build an energy empire just to induce demand for all the station inputs of mostly dormant stations. But now everything seems well stocked with energy despite the seeming lack of energy producers. I only found very few solar plants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

What I still find mystifying is where the energy cell market went. In X3 everything was energy cell starved. You could build an energy empire just to induce demand for all the station inputs of mostly dormant stations. But now everything seems well stocked with energy despite the seeming lack of energy producers. I only found very few solar plants.

Yeah it's odd, I think basically everything just doesn't need that many cells? I run again a giant superfactory off two panels. It's a bit of a shame really cos it makes energy kind of just an afterthought, slap a panel on a factory maybe but there's zero reason to build big solar stations or even care about solar output of sectors (not that I think that varies at the moment)

I feel like they could cut the productivity by like, 10x and make some bigger solar stations and it would be a lot more interesting.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to start a new game when the 3.0 patch is finalized if that is happening sometime vaguely soon. I assume when the expansion is released?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe that's the plan yeah, release the patch and the expansion either at the same time, or like, very shortly after, as the patch forms part of the basis for the expansion I think. It's a big patch but they don't normally go into this many beta versions and I think they're still aiming for Q1.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just grabbed the patch, 3.9 gig? wew.
Now I have to see if any extensions work...
The scientist start looks like fun

Michaellaneous posted:

The X4 Disco is pretty goony, most of the mod-makers hang out there as well.

As an aside. cool banks related name.

staberind fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 20, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A fair few mod authors seem to be running on the beta if you check the forums.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The HQ research thing has to be a placeholder. Weird stuff.

My first hull plates factory is coming online now just as the warring factions seems to be blowing each other up. Being a war profiteer is fun!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe they're planning on expanding the HQ thing but yeah, it's really loving weird.

I hope they get around to implementing the ability to move it around, that'd be really nice to be able to do, especially as yeah, war is the whole point of the economy now, so if you slapped shipyards and a full set of industry on it you could basically move to to whoever you want to supply with ships.

Hull plates in particular are a great choice cos they're used in both ships and stations so they also make constructing more station modules cheaper.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of the PHQ, are you able to choose where it's placed, initially? (i.e. in a system I've claimed and built in) Since I remember reading ages ago that it would just get dumped somewhere, which wouldn't necessarily be where you want it to be. Could be wrong, though

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

no. theyve discussed adding the ability to teleport the phq, but for the moment if you want it somewhere else you have to mod.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not 100% sure, but there is a mod to chuck it into the unclaimed sector nopilious, also, the new start looks interesting, sidestepping the whole "be a distraction, hire a ship to build a landing pad" bit, we still don't have a functioning bodyslide for X4 so no spacesuit bikini's, yet.
I'm going to stick to the devstarts "start with a small fleet, icl. 2 xl's" as that also starts with teleport and full scanning (yeah, wharfs, l and xl shipyards too).
Unfortunately, X4 is a crashfest atm, even with 0 mods, it ctd's all the time on startup, so, i'll be faffing in NMS or The Outer Worlds, which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you verified the cache? Mine almost never crashes and actually almost never has even from 1.0, could be a botched install or something?