Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Erm, that HAT quest line sure was ... something.

Do tell, I haven't done any of the plots yet, busy mapping out split space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Pylons posted:

3.0 has fixed a lot but some design decisions are still incredibly stupid (but easy enough to fix with mods). VRO is great but I wish someone would come along with a Litcube's-scale overhaul. Still, it's probably the best game for this specific type of itch out there.

The Xenon in 3.0 have a good chance of wiping out life in the galaxy if you don't step in early. So that at least is appropriately Litcube.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

The Xenon in 3.0 have a good chance of wiping out life in the galaxy if you don't step in early. So that at least is appropriately Litcube.

I think what might have happened is they balanced it around the split, because they have a major military presence and also encircle many of the northern xenon sectors. If you take them out the xenon can only attack the argon and the teladi, both of whom are a bit underequipped to deal with them alone.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

You can set up in the logical overview, what levels to sell product at, and can sometimes add/remove buy/sell offers from the station, so maybe if you remove all the sell options for the things you want to stockpile or set their sell price really high so nobody buys them.

This helped a lot, thanks !

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Krogort posted:

This helped a lot, thanks !

Oh, good! I wasn't sure if it would help. Glad you got to grips with it because it's quite fiddly to set all that up, it's most useful for like, giant production stations and that where you want to hold reserves but sell surplus etc, but glad it works for the HQ too.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

OwlFancier posted:

It's pretty weak, honestly, but you get a courier ship and some solid starting cash out of it. Mostly a series of fetch quests and courier actions, that ultimately ends in a truce you've been brokering the whole time falling through and you getting attacked by Scale Plate ships as the Argon say you know what, gently caress ALL of you. Doesn't seem to gently caress up your standings though, so it's kind of a wash in the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Squiggle posted:

It's pretty weak, honestly, but you get a courier ship and some solid starting cash out of it. Mostly a series of fetch quests and courier actions, that ultimately ends in a truce you've been brokering the whole time falling through and you getting attacked by Scale Plate ships as the Argon say you know what, gently caress ALL of you. Doesn't seem to gently caress up your standings though, so it's kind of a wash in the end.

Ah, I did wonder about that since I did the first mission and it seemed like a starter plot. Hopefully the others are more worthwhile.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

It's also short, which takes the sting out of it being weak a little bit.

I've got my fleet of Drills up and making me profitssss, now I'm buddying up with the Teladi. I missed X.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can, try getting to be friends with the ministry of finance, they have a special transporter ship that's heavily armed which can be useful for deterring pirates, also it looks cool, it's based off the teladi gunship.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

OwlFancier posted:

I've found that it is just the intro the all the other plots in the game. You need to complete that and the Player HQ to access the new Paranid and Split ones. Though I'm pretty sure the Split one has become bugged for me as I can't even talk to the dude to continue it now.

Also, is it normal for no systems to have exchanged hands in about 20 hours of gameplay? There haven't been any invasions at all as far as I can see.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is really slow to happen yeah, they will generally fight but factions are normally pretty good at fighting back, so systems tend to remain battlegrounds.

Generally I think if you work to really supply one faction or another they'll probably start to gain ground but it's a very long term thing. A good thing though because as people have noted the xenon were shown to be very capable of wiping out whole sectors in a matter of hours during testing so if they're fighting but there's no actual capturing going on that's probably a good thing :v:

If you want to turn it up there's mods for that though.

If you've got the split installed then you probably want to look at the sectors bordering the xenon in the north as well as the argon/zyarth borders, lots of attack groups going through there though the xenon now having a lot more targets has definitely limited their aggression I think, they're spread a bit thinner. They don't all pile out through the gate into hatikvah's choice and lay waste to the place.

Failing that maybe try the xenon bordering HOP space in the south west, though they also have a route into The Void now so they're more split up too and will probably be trying to colonize Frontier Edge. Also the HOP have a pretty good military and autarky too given everyone hates them, so they tend to actually push the xenon back in my experience.

They also did a weird thing connecting the Scale Plate Green branch into the new neutral sector east of Company Regard so that's probably going to end up xenon controlled too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 5, 2020

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Thom12255 posted:

I've found that it is just the intro the all the other plots in the game. You need to complete that and the Player HQ to access the new Paranid and Split ones. Though I'm pretty sure the Split one has become bugged for me as I can't even talk to the dude to continue it now.

Also, is it normal for no systems to have exchanged hands in about 20 hours of gameplay? There haven't been any invasions at all as far as I can see.
Got any tips on where these start? I've done the HAT one and have the homebase but I don't see any other quests out there that look like storyline.

I did do the Split start where you're the only survivor of a battle. Hopefully that doesn't lock you out of most of the story missions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The player HQ one you have to scan stations, a boron will call you and that's the plot for that.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is there any practical reason to claim a sector or is it just a cool thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't have to pay plot tax on new stations, (though this is also true if it remains netural) and you can set your forces to police it and kick out people you don't like and uncover pirates who will raid your stations if you don't.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You don't have to pay plot tax on new stations, (though this is also true if it remains netural) and you can set your forces to police it and kick out people you don't like and uncover pirates who will raid your stations if you don't.

Thanks!

Unrelated, but I wish X4 engine had an internal resolution scaler so I could play at 4k but render at 1080p. I'm having some performance issues at 4k with a gtx 1080, but if I set the resolution to 1080p it makes my TV spaz out when I alt tab which I do frequently.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can you build ships in the PHQ once you get it or is it just a megastation for you to build out? I recall hearing talk about adding that feature.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can build ships on any station if you add an assembly module to it, but they're extremely expensive, late game things.

At the moment the PHQ is just a big useless station that unlocks the research feature and serves as a drop off point for inventory items.

If they ever get round to letting you teleport it around that would make it worthwhile but currently it is completely useless, it doesn't produce anything and the central module takes up a lot of space. I guess grand exchange isn't a bad place for a station so it's a free, mostly occupied plot, I guess.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I got my first Cerberus and docked a fighter with it. Is there any way to retract it down into the ship's hull, or does it have to stay out there on top of the pad? I ask because it's right in front of the bridge view and I keep clicking on it and selecting it by mistake.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The new Split L Wivern mining ships are very...odd.
They are super fast (>400m/s) but have tiny little shield (33k MJ, the Teladi has like 150k MJ) and a small cargo of 11k m3 (about 1/3 of the others)
And they cost as much as the other L mining ships but apart from the 2 L turrets they are more like M ships.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 5, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I use the PHQ as my venture HQ, and strap on a few production modules chosen more for aesthetic reasons than anything else.

It also has a safe deposit box for inventory items. You can have other ships deposit there rather than picking up the items yourself, and you can use it to store your illegal items if you wish. Though I think the cops stop caring after you go over the second rank threshold?

They should add a workshop to the Boron's lab so that you can mod ships docked there.

I enjoyed the little mini missions for research, its too bad that it was only for the first 4 mod classes. I even failed the racing one twice, i ended up having to use the literally fastest chassis i could find and mod it for drag to complete it. 900km in under 2 minutes with a hairpin turn is rough.

Drunk in Space posted:

I got my first Cerberus and docked a fighter with it. Is there any way to retract it down into the ship's hull, or does it have to stay out there on top of the pad? I ask because it's right in front of the bridge view and I keep clicking on it and selecting it by mistake.

Unfortunately, no. The docking pad being in your face is the main reason the Cerberus isn't favored as a player ship, as it is otherwise solid with a good turret layout.

It also has the issue of being a drone carrier with only 1 landing pad for up to 14 drones.

Thom12255 posted:

Even if no sectors have changed hands, it doesnt mean nothing has happened. I'm about that far in on my game and i'm spending most of my time supporting the Antigone Republic. HOP blew up two Republic fleets and several stations in Flashpoint, built a defense platform, and are building 3 more factories, but the sector is still technically Republic. And the Xenon finally finished building stations in the frontier sector so now ANT directly abuts Xenon space. Things could be going worse though. There seems to be a lot less Xenon K rampaging around in 3.0 and a lot more production of Xenon fighters and corvettes.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

OwlFancier posted:

The player HQ one you have to scan stations, a boron will call you and that's the plot for that.
Yeah I have the player HQ. I was asking for other story missions in the DLC. The only one I've found is the HAT missions which I've cleared.

Edit: well after countless hours (I've been using seta to progress factory production) I finally got around to doing more research with the boron (I only really care about the teleportation and I had that done ages ago) a quest did fire and ask me to return to the PHQ. I don't know for sure if it was researching a few more items that triggered it but it's the only thing I can think of that's changed recently.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 5, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

You have discovered the main problem with the cerberus :v:

The fighter should retract if you try to dock something else at it, but I don't think the cerberus lets you do that, unfortunately, I think it only has a single craft capacity. You could try launching a defence drone from it, that might work.

But yes otherwise that's the main reason not to buy a cerberus (other than them not being super great ships generally, IMO, I'd probably rather have a gunship or a corvette for personal use) is the very awkward dock placement.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So I experienced a super weird bug with TaterTrader. I think it happened after a crash, but I had like 8 traders that were 'stuck' in their travel drives and just zooming around the universe not doing anything.

No matter what order I gave them they would just keep beelining in a straight line for the nearest gate / accelerator. They were always going straight toward gates or accelerators. When they warped into a new sector, they'd point themselves straight at a gate/accelerator, staying in travel mode.

I couldn't figure out how to deal with them so I just cheat-script destroyed them and replaced them with new traders *shrug*

Poor pilots.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anything critical I should know for the old X3 games? I've only got about half an hour in-game thus far, most of it spent configuring my gamepad and repeatedly ramming my body into the side of my ship trying to figure out how to re-enter it. (re-enter command is in a menu. everything in this game is nested inside a menu somewhere apparently)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Playing X3 with a gamepad sounds awful. There are a lot of fiddly menus. If you use a keyboard and mouse you'll learn a lot of the shortcuts though, which speed things up. If I remember correctly, the shortcut for entering a ship is shift-e.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How's X52 Pro support for X4? I have one lying around and if I ever actually get enough money to buy the game, I'd love to be able to play it with it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Playing X3 with a gamepad sounds awful. There are a lot of fiddly menus. If you use a keyboard and mouse you'll learn a lot of the shortcuts though, which speed things up. If I remember correctly, the shortcut for entering a ship is shift-e.

I've got a mouse and keyboard handy for anything that can't (or isn't worth the time spent) configuring for xpadder. Really though, I just wanted to use the controller because that's what I'm used to using for flight in games. Not sure if I'll stick with it since I can already see a significant portion of my time will be spent in autopilot or fiddling with menus.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm thinking of caving and finally buying this, just a few questions.

A) Can I play with Split stuff immediately? I thought I saw someone earlier in the thread say stuff involving them (in game, not the expansion itself obviously) was locked behind some quest lines

B) Uhhh I'm a bit confused with the store options.

So the Split expansion (+ one more to come) is part of the collectors edition content right? But this package deal is loving up it seems (its only applying -20% to base X4, not -30%), so I should just buy the game and collectors stuff individually without this package "deal", yeah?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I just bought X4 and the Split expansion separately. It was too confusing. And don't worry, there are two game starts that start you out right in the middle of the Split content. Even if you use one of the other starts, the Split sectors are just a few (albeit risky at the start) jumpgates.

And hey, looks like the Haktivah quest line isn't over, it leads into more story-stuff! That really did seem to be anticlimactic, thank god. I think this is the Split Vendetta "lever to move the world" content.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
All of the non-story stuff is open right away.

You'll probably have unfriendly rep with one of the major split factions depending on your gamestart. The other major faction though seems fine with most other races though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Split questline is much better than the HAT one which I assume an intern did over a weekend.

My first fleet of Argon ships I made (3 Destroyers, 3 Frigates, 6 Heavy Fighters) took out most of a huge Xenon fleet in Teladi space but the Xenon I was too much for them, only one Destroyer made it out.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm thinking of caving and finally buying this, just a few questions.

A) Can I play with Split stuff immediately? I thought I saw someone earlier in the thread say stuff involving them (in game, not the expansion itself obviously) was locked behind some quest lines

B) Uhhh I'm a bit confused with the store options.

So the Split expansion (+ one more to come) is part of the collectors edition content right? But this package deal is loving up it seems (its only applying -20% to base X4, not -30%), so I should just buy the game and collectors stuff individually without this package "deal", yeah?

I saw this last night and yes it's a trap. You just need the the base game + collectors edition (which gives you the current expansion called Split Vendetta, AND whatever the next expansion is). If you JUST want Split Vendetta, then you can do the base game + Split Vendetta. What you have in your cart there would double buy Split Vendetta. They really should fix this, though I'm not even sure the steam checkout would process it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Holy crap, I'm trying to do the combat scenario tutorial and I can fly for crap. I don't remember having trouble in X3

[edit] Ok, I had apparently disabled aim assist, I can fight again. I now remember how VITAL aim assist software was in X3...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 5, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is also harder to shoot things in X4 because weapons actually physically gimbal, and different guns do it at different rates and over different arcs, so you have to wait for your guns to get into position, it's a lot harder than X3.

I recommend the new split thermal disintegrators though, they're quite inaccurate but they fire big bursts and they do damage over time if they hit something. So chances are you'll wing something and do some damage. Also have a slight shield piercing effect so probably good for destroying shield generators as you can get them through their own shields.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, uh, any beginner tips for this? I assume I should just pick the basic scenario to get my feet wet instead of jumping into the deep end since both split scenarios sound like its civil war time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The galaxy is gonna have big wars in it no matter what you do but I don't think the split factions are at war by default, so that might be a plot thing.

Pick something that looks fun to you. There's a lot to pick up so you want the game to be fun while you're learning. The main one I'd pick is the one with the HQ plot already done cos it's pretty dull and I don't wanna do it twice. The fun is really more in the emergent gameplay and building up a big money empire and maybe tipping the scales in wars.

Otherwise I guess my suggestion is don't take any missions you don't enjoy and just quit them if they're tiresome. They're randomly generated and a lot of them are super dull, like scanning stuff or fixing satellites. They're easy of course but don't feel like you have to do them if the reward isn't worth it. Really the objective is to get money however you can and use it to build up an income base, mostly centered around stations to manfucature goods. Then you can make more money and buy more ships and more station parts and so on, until you have enough economic power to start fighting factions you don't like.

I do appreciate that they added in good missions like "shoot up a bunch of xenon, doesn't matter what type" which IMO are my preferred ones.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 6, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Honestly my favorite way to play X3 was to play "Dead is dead" as a pirate and just *never* buy stuff (Except at pirate stations, which usually didn't exist without mods), everything must be stolen from freighters, new ships acquired from bailouts. Usually I'd only keep the Teladi friendly so I had someone to sell loot to (since pirate infrastructure was almost non-existent without mods)

Probably wont' do that to start with though :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, are there any good places for a starter pilot (with the Young Gun start's Elite Vanguard) to make some cash by hunting bounties, etc? Since I've been looking around the Black Hole Sun system and another couple of areas, but the only viable job I've found was to take some schmuck to work, for like, 50k. (Not that I mind making easy cash! :v: )

Also, the Elite's pulse laser (I think it's called, in this) seems to be quite weak. Are there any recommendations on weapons and/or ships I should look at upgrading to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I wasn't expecting it to start this way...

It gave me an objective to destroy the expeditionary fleet, so like a dutiful idiot I attacked figuring some kinda plot thing would intervene. It didn't, I died. :v:

I'm guessing all those shattered old split hulls (looks kinda like pythons?) are just decoration and they don't actually exist in game.