Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I have a nice trading ship built but the little jerk doesn't want to go make me money automatically. If I am reading things correctly, I have to give it a level 3 pilot to be able to do that?

Yep, unmodded, a three star pilot is required. I've been using this mod to avoid that bullshit with no problems: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/70. You could also use one of the faster skill increase mods if that's more your style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like I spend a lot of time managing my empire from the map while my pilot flies around doing whatever. I wish there was like a little staff lounge on my ship that I could do it from, instead of standing behind the pilot. Even better if it could also be somewhere that would allow the pilot to behave as though I was out of the sector for combat and navigation. Then if things are particularly hairy I could head to the bridge and take over.

Hanging out on a station and teleporting to the ship when necessary seems like it would accomplish this, though I guess it's not the same thematically.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Saving my game:

Savegame compression on (99MB): 76.7 seconds
Savegame compression off, no file system compression (882MB): 59,4 seconds
Savegame compression off, zstd3 file system (119MB): 62,7 seconds

I used a btrfs image sitting on a local SSD for this. So, I guess I've finally found a use for btrfs?

To be honest, I think I should just write them a mail because this is some really low hanging fruit.

Egosoft has said they prefer XML because it is much easier to ensure compatibility with ancient saves that way, and they have a much easier time debugging with a format that has so much established tooling already. Afaik most of the time is spent on the actual serialisation/deserialisation work, whereas parsing or writing XML is so well-trodden ground it's not meaningfully slower.

Even an efficient XML reader and writer - which I seriously doubt this is, because Egosoft - is going to be quite a bit slower than a decent binary format. Versioning binary data is also not especially difficult and a tools to view the data would not be hard to write. But yeah, without actually hooking up a profiler to it, it’s hard to say exactly where the slowness really is.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Got an urge to play some X3AP:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This is a good memory. At some point I just asked myself why tf I wasn't just using the cheat script I had installed.

I do somewhat like that the repairing takes time as it adds some nice tension if some Xenon or pirates decide to show up. At the same time, it’s kind of a pain in the rear end. I’ve upped the power of the repair lasers a bit as a compromise for now.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

You need the map to have a healthy number of sectors for claiming purposes. Too few and sector ownership gets kind of difficult.
And I can NEVER go back to x3. I've tried, but x4 done away with loading screens, which is huge, and walking around on ships and stations is awesome.

In my new X3AP playthrough, my load times between sectors are like 1 second and saving the game takes like 2 seconds. Dunno if that’ll worsen over time.

I also consider the walking portions of X4 to be completely unnecessary for what makes an X game fun for me and a total waste of time. Also, they’re pretty half baked - just watch your non-captain crew when you transition between sectors for one example. Everything you currently have to do by walking on stations could’ve just as easily have been done from the ship without being a pointless dev and player time sink.

So far, I think 3 is edging out 4 for my enjoyment, though it’s a bit hard to say for sure. X4 does some things better, but in exchange other bits are worse, so it’s a trade off either way.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I agree that can be kind of cool, but I’d much rather have stuff like a pleasant UI, working fleets, a non-poo poo autopilot, ship and weapon variety, access to useful charts and graphs, etc. in my shooty spreadsheet game.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Surely you're not saying any of those things are in X3, save for variety. X series as a whole only has ever had that one, except the UI for X4 arguably being decent. It's more a series of kitbashing mods together until the game functions in the way you want it to.

Oh, no, I wasn’t meaning to imply those were points in X3’s favor. Just saying where I would’ve wanted the priorities when making X3’s successor rather than what they went with.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I personally hate the station building and just select the components I need then hit randomize until I get something that looks acceptable.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

ughhhh posted:

What? There is an automated station building tool? As in I don't have to manually place down the parts?

You still have to put them into the box - they don’t have to connect - but then you can click the dice (IIRC) button at the top of the screen to randomize the placement and connections.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I’ve been having traders suddenly appear after I turn my back to the empty counter pretty frequently recently. Maybe they’re just loading very slowly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

In the boardings I’ve done, I’ve never seen a turret repaired. They always seem to prioritize engines, and I just sit behind the target and take those out as soon as soon as they come back.