Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

It's been so long since I've used that command but I'll do my best to compare. The gist and intent of the mod is to make it easier for you to break up mega all-in-one factories and instead make several factories connected by supply chains, either directly or through a warehouse style station. First the travel mule does what trade for commander does but you could set it to ignore NPC shipyards or stations, which might be useful if you're trying to do something specific like sell only to shipyards from a hull factory in hopes of better profits. Station mules are very useful because even though you set a source station they will still help other stations that require resources and you can tell them to/not to transport energy cells and food/meds. I haven't really touched distributor mules but they're if you have several warehouses across the galaxy. Supply mules are probably the ones I consider most useful, they'll handle build storage and input needs for any station you set them to, including NPC ones so you could set one to a shipyard to supply it. Supply mules also have a player buy mod as mentioned that make them see goods from your station as cheaper sources so they're more likely to use your own stuff over a closer and technically cheaper NPC station's. Oh and if you're exceptionally lazy like me you don't need to set the wares list every time you make a trader.
From what I understand trade for commander is basically autotrade using the commander's stats.
In short, travel is autotrade, station is supplying between your stations, and supply grabs from anywhere within its range.

I'm no X4 expert, but I hope I did an adequate job of explaining that! The mod seems intimidating, but it's actually really simple and effective once you wrap your head around each mule's role.

Interesting. It does seem intimidating, but I'll give it a try. I've been unhappy with the performance of "Trade for commander" and this sounds like it will work better. Especially now as I have a Wharf I want my wares going to towards. Vertical integration! Thanks for the explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ughhhh posted:

I got some hull parts and claytronics factory that gives me a couple of million creds every now and then but I can't figure out how to look for those bottlenecks and lucrative trades. Is it just using the trade filter and looking for the largest buy orders?

I'm still learning, but what I did was check shipyards and wharfs for what they're short on. Those are the main resource sink/production endpoint for all production in the game. See what they're short on and sell them that/trace the production back to find bottlenecks.

Quick tip: Having a satellite on a station is not enough. To see what wares it has I had to manually scan the station up to 30%. Then I could always see what a station has in stock.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Someone was saying earlier that construction drones were used to build ships in a fabrication bay. I'm a little confused because I looked it up and it seems like construction drones are only used for building stations. Do I have something wrong?

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence/display/X4WIKI/Drones

Not pointing fingers, just want to clear it up for my own knowledge to maximize my stations output.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Interesting, thanks for the link. This means I can build ships faster to fuel all the wars I've started . :getin:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That Mule mod is really nice. I took a few "Trade for commander" ships and reset them as mules and suddenly they zipped off to actually get stuff. Before they were just sitting around staring at each other.

The only problems I have are that I can't seem to get my mules to focus on my stuff. I set up a bunch to supply my Wharf, but they're ignoring my (stocked) factories in the same sector. I also tried setting up one route specifically between my Hull Part factory and the Wharf, but it gets confused and starts grabbing other wares instead.

On the upside I can't keep up with all the orders coming in. I can't keep the Wharf stocked to keep up with demand! It's awesome.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

The station mules try to only take stuff when they can mostly fill their cargo holds, checking the allow low volumes will override that but will obviously let them get away with very small loads and yeah they will supply your other stations in the same system unless you check serve source only. If you want to make the mules prefer your stuff then setting a supply mule and putting its player buy mod to 0 will make it think your stuff is free to buy at your factories.

https://github.com/Misunderstood-Wookiee/Mules-and-Warehouses-Extended/blob/Public/README.md This would probably have been a good thing to link when I started talking about the mod.

Ah ok. I'll play around with it some more. Though the Player Buy Mod is a little annoying. I saw it and thought "Buy my stuff 100% of the time." So I had it maxed out. Whoops :v:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

The station mules try to only take stuff when they can mostly fill their cargo holds, checking the allow low volumes will override that but will obviously let them get away with very small loads and yeah they will supply your other stations in the same system unless you check serve source only. If you want to make the mules prefer your stuff then setting a supply mule and putting its player buy mod to 0 will make it think your stuff is free to buy at your factories.

https://github.com/Misunderstood-Wookiee/Mules-and-Warehouses-Extended/blob/Public/README.md This would probably have been a good thing to link when I started talking about the mod.

I fiddled with it some more and I can't seem to make Station Mules work. I'm trying to get a mule to run between my Hull Part factory and the Wharf. But he just won't do it. I set him up and just just turns into a supply mule and grabs anything the Wharf needs instead of Hull Parts.

I've tried flipping the "Source" and "Target" stations, but it seems to make no difference. He'll always go get Antimatter cells or Engine Parts or pretty much anything but Hull Parts. I also tried "Assign Ship to Station", but that didn't help either. What am I doing wrong?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

Looking over the readme and the creator's thread, I'm not sure there is a way to make the station mule only take one output. That's something the supply mule can definitely do with the serve source station only toggle at least. I had similar problems in the past, and for the most part it was either accept the station mule prioritizing large volume requests like the antimatter cells, or use the supply mule chained with the serve source option, or just flood the wharf with enough transports feeding it to make one of them take the hull parts.

Ah ok. The reason I'm so fixated on a single ware is I'm burning through Hull Parts so fast.

Travic fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 30, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ughhhh posted:

Where did you place your factories/what do you have setup? I have a minor setup in hatikvas choice just for this plan I am working towards. But having a real hard time getting mineral miners to mine anything.

I use Grand Exchange. The five jumps you get from a good manager gets you pretty much everywhere except for Split and Terran space. I started off with Hull Parts since that is a gold mine then I just built factories to feed my Wharf.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RBA Starblade posted:

Now that I'm into it I'm spending nearly all my time fiddling with station menus and supply chains lol

I'm finally playing X :v:

I'm right there too. I was working on logistics for my stations when I realized I hadn't flown a ship in hours.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Well the Xenon are back in my game and they are pissed. Finally, a real challenge.

Is there any downside to putting all my factories in the same sector? It seems too good to be true.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there a place to check the spool up time for all the different engines? I'd really love to spreadsheet out the different engines and see how they all compare.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Repeat orders are really cool, but do they still take real time days to level up? Or is that faster too?

Antigravitas posted:

Shipyards are pretty bad now because the input materials cost more than the ships you sell, though you can use them to shift a lot of volume you may not otherwise have.

Turret Components, Shield Components, Advanced Electronics sell like fresh Semmeln in my game, but every start is different.

I've been curious about this too. My Wharf is still making disgusting amounts of money after the patch. I'm building vessels from ore to final ship. Would I make even more money if I locked off my shipyard just for my own use and sold the intermediates?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Wow. Keeping the Zyarth alive is a full time job. They are getting absolutely hammered.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RBA Starblade posted:

I ended up just killing Xenon to get them, I didn't want the police bothering me lol

Xenon smashed the patriarchy, I'm proud of them

Yep. :black101: I'm really keeping them alive until I can complete the Split quest and get all their blueprints.

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 4, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ughhhh posted:

That stat is currently a hidden stat that even rogueys or the encyclopedia doesn't list. But terran have the fastest spoolup/charge time while split has the longest due to their high top speed. Also ship mass and engine size affect it too.

Nobody: So Travic. What did you do with your Sunday afternoon?

Me: I nerded out and tested engines in X4!

Nobody: *vomit*

Soooooo I've just done some very simple testing on a few ships and it seems like the L ship spool up times are static. I've tested Teladi and Argon engines. Both Travel and All-Round engines. I've tested the Phoenix, Behemoth, and Odysseus, and Shuyaku (high mass test) both Vanguard and Sentinel variants. It's always 20 seconds. It needs more testing, but yeah.

Yep. Checked Split and Paranid for both Travel and All-round. Always 20 seconds. Now to start on XL.

Travic fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 4, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Antigravitas posted:

That stuff should be in one of the xml defines. I'll see if I can take a look tomorrow, but I'll have to write a tool to extract those .dat files. Shouldn't be too difficult though.

I used this to unpack the ship and engine stats. I didn't see spool-up time, but feel free to have a look. Wanted to save you from having to write something.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

timn posted:

Pilfered from a thread on the Egosoft forums, someone already did this for vanilla awhile back and put it in a google sheet here.

What I find most interesting are the attack and release times, which represent the time it takes to fully accelerate/decelerate from boosting or travel mode (two different stats for each). Combat engines are better than all-around engines are better than travel engines, and by a pretty huge margin.

Also, L and XL travel engines apparently have no redeeming qualities compared to their all-around counterparts.

Well would you look at that. That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Well I was only going to do Mass, Drag, Spoolup, and Thrust since I'd have to do it by hand but drat that's nice.

Thank you :)

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is set up a spreadsheet where I pick a ship and get a graph of the acceleration curves for the different engines. Probably just the highest mark since that's simpler.

Travic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Slickdrac posted:

Acceleration between different types (AA/TRV/COM) is equal. ARG/PAR/TEL are either identical in acceleration, or close enough not to matter. From my testing, SPL were about 25% slower to accelerate, TER were 100% faster. Decel the engines vary a fair amount but that stat is actually directly visible.

Well that just about clears everything up. Wow. Thanks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Problem: Terran stations require a lot of people to run and Living Quarters only hold 500 people.

Solution: Commonwealth race's habitats hold 1000!.

Problem 2: Terran Living Quarters look so drat good.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

OwlFancier posted:

Hello yes welcome to my station it looks like a giant ring toss stand.

Line up 100 living quarters and fly an Odysseus through them in travel mode.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RBA Starblade posted:

They're going to save the galaxy from the Xenon whether they like it or not, or the galaxy will die trying. Not Earth, though

I was wondering why when you first make it to the asteroid belt a Xenon K comes through the jump gate and the Terrans didn't immediately just nooooooooope out of there and shut their gate down again.

It'd be like sticking your head out from your bunker to see if the end of the world was still happening. "Yep still The Apocalypse today. Maybe next week!"

Travic fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 6, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I finally downloaded the X Encyclopedia since I found out I don't have to have the Superbox to get it. Wow there's a lot of backstory and lore in there. I'm only part way through it but drat.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Zereth posted:

Say is there a way to get notifications like "one of your ships just got destroyed" while looking at the map? i don't think i'd have noticed my ship (that i assigned to helping keep the MIN shipyard stocked in an attempt to get more rep) getting crunched the by the xenon capitals if i wasn't out of the map screen watching the ship i was trying to board.

You can set up an audio alert I believe.

:edit: I'm not at home so I can't check, but I think its under Global orders.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 7, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there any reason for a ship to use the Terran L Bolt turrets? I was bored at work and playing around with the ship comparison tool on Roguey and the L Plasma turrets seem generally better.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Also, holy poo poo, I'm slowly realizing how easy it is to pirate. Capturing huge freighters left and right in neutral space from basically everybody. As long as you can still dock with a faction, you might as well be their abusive husband.

Was +19 with TEL, captured one of their builder-ships. Now +17. Lol

Have a bunch of auto traders working in their space and you'll have that rep back in no time. Then keep stealing. Rinse and repeat. :getin:

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

OwlFancier posted:

Got production of just about everything set up.

Really does feel like a gigantic space city. Unfortunately, early tests of the teleportation system suggest that it also likes to fry its support fleet in the process.

On the plus side it can now print more of them quite easily so I don't care that much.

drat I feel bad now. I only use the PHQ for research and as a place to store all my illegal junk.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
This terraforming takes a long time. It really is a late game resource sink. If only there were a better way. Maybe we could automate it somehow. Maybe with robots. Yeah, that'd make this easier.

Someone has definitely made this joke before

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ice Fist posted:

Computronic subtrate plant up to 70 million an hour. One of my stations plopping 70 million into my account always ~feels good~.

Added: My fighters deciding to slow boat and not use their travel drives to engage an enemy who is 80km away does not feel good.

Added 2: After getting frustrated watching my fighters not use their travel drives, I recalled them and was like "oh, it might be cool to sit in the docking bay of my carrier and see them all land". Ummmm... don't do this. It's pathetic/sad to watch. They couldn't just cheat and make docking mostly magic. Nope. They have to have the fighter find its way on its own to right over the docking pad. This leads to hilarious rubber banding which will send fighters spinning into the ether for 10-15km until they recover and try again. They all eventually make it. But it is less than cinematic.

:stare: Good gravy what does that station look like?!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dude Sweet posted:

Game can be jank as hell but I love it.

I like to think of the X series as an old but beloved car you have to try and start a few times. It's creaky and janky, but damnit I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
What's the best way to destroy stations? I tried the attack command and some ships will correctly get into range and use all their turrets. But most of them will either only use their main batteries or not get close enough to fire at all.

I'm using Argon turrets so I can outrange the stations btw.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

FrickenMoron posted:

Im a bit confused on what I have to do to see the storage of a station on the map. Does it even matter for my automated gas / ore miners as long as I have satellites deployed?

I know I had to manually scan stations up to 30% to see their stock levels, but I don't think it matters for autominers.

Maybe a trade subscription helps with this?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ice Fist posted:

I’ve basically made my fortune off Computronic Substrate. Just be ready for the disgusting amount of miners you’ll need to support even a relatively modest station.

I really want to get in on this, but my Terrans are completely maxed out. Every station is full on all resources. I guess they have no one to fight since the Xenon are wimps in my game.

Is there any way to start a war between the Terrans and the Paranid? I really don't want to start one with ANT/ARG. I'm trying to protect them and I'm pretty sure the Terrans would roll over them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ZombyDog posted:

If you complete the Paranid Questline I believe you can have them wardec anyone, and so far when I've triggered the Terran vs ANT/Arg war it's quickly hit stalemate -Don't be afraid of war, it's good for business.

Oh I picked the More Civil War Please option to try and rein in HOP. They're out of control. Oh well. I guess I can start a TER- ARG war. I just have a soft spot for the Argon.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ice Fist posted:

So I don’t really know who has been doing the buying and selling and where everything I’m selling is going, but the Terran/Pio demand for computronic substrate, or really silicon carbide and metallic microlattice is bottomless. If anything until you get your own wharf you’ll be a massive driver of demand and you’ll essentially be selling the terrans wares and then buying some of them back in the form of ships and weapons. I have a massive computronic substrate plant and I never get above 5%-10% capacity because they fly off the shelves so fast.

Also, don’t be so confident that the terrans are all powerful. I thought they would roll over ANT/ARG too and it just didn’t happen the Terrans have killed 2 ANT stations in my game for the cost of 50-60 destroyers. Factions are pretty tough and the AI isn’t smart enough to not suicide their destroyers into defense stations.

Ok I'll dive and see what kind of results I can get. Thanks

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Rakeris posted:

Will the split rebuild after they have almost been wiped out?

The xenon have taken all but 3 sectors and I've finally got enough income and stuff going I think I can defend those ( mainly with absurd defence stations sitting on the gates)

They should. I've started defending their systems and their economy bounced back pretty quick. You can also help them by doing station building missions and building much bigger stations than they ask for.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RBA Starblade posted:

What would happen if you attach spaceweed and other illegal productions to a requested station?

Good question. I'm incredibly boring and never thought of that.

It would probably run and ships leaving with spaceweed would get busted all the time.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Omi no Kami posted:

Quick advice: I have X3:AP, I bounced off it a while ago but that was because I thought it was primarily a Freelancer/6DOF-fighter game, and didn't realize how much gameplay was industry/empire-building/hugeass logistics stuff, which is much more my jam. Should I just dive back into AP, or does X4 in 2021 have enough QoL fixes/improvements on the formula to be the unambiguously better experience?

X4 is in a good place. I'd recommend starting with X4. The UI alone is a big upgrade.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm not sure what their plan is either. The X series (at least since 3. I don't know about 2) has lived and died on its mod scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That's incredibly exciting. I love X4, but it always felt off to me without the Boron.