Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gorelab posted:

Amusingly in X3 I never got to the point of ecell problems, but I always had a lot of trouble outfitting medium sized ships. Like for whatever reason medium shields would always be out of stock almost everywhere so it was an annoying long time of jumping all around to find some. Also satellites.

With X3 my biggest reason to become a TITAN OF INDUSTRY was to support my own factories pumping out weapons, shields, and other junk for outfitting my fleet. I liked that there was a sort of progression to it; trade myself in small commodities until I could hire a UT, hire more UT's while I explored the universe, hunted pirates, and set up a satellite network, start building to fill supply gaps in systems, then start building my own fleet and company support infrastructure.

God drat I want this to be X3: Prettier With Quality of Life Improvements Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OwlFancier posted:

After Rebirth, and Rebirth takes place like, a century or two after the gate system collapsed I think? A long time, basically. Nothing remains of the former universe either stylistically or even technologically. Much tech was lost (no jump drives in X4) and gate separation has encouraged technology to further exploit within solar systems (highways and trans orbital accelerators) and everyone has wildly redesigned their ships.

Essentially it has some of the X races and locations in it but the places are unrecognizable as is much of the technology.

It technically follows a single plot but it's arbitrarily removed both in distance and in time from earlier games.

Enough time to create a blank slate for a narrative. Although with 500 some odd hours in X3 I couldn't tell you a loving thing about the story in that game so I'm not too concerned either way!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Inverness posted:

Only 3 days left. I'm pretty hyped.

Ditto. It's too bad (for Egosoft I guess, it's actually pretty good for me) that Rebirth was bad enough at launch for me to not pre-order this one. Excited to see what those of you who dive on the grenade have to say about it though!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
If any of you pre-order maniacs are using a HOTAS setup please let me know how it behaves. Between that and my 970 I am concerned that I should not have pre-ordered

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, poo poo.

I wonder if you need a good crew to be get decent turret performance too.

Egosoft really should advertise these things because it's one thing to have deliberately lovely AI and quite another to have it just be a hidden mechanic.

E: There's something really pleasing about sitting and watching the map as your ships boop around it doing trades and stuff.

If X3 was any indicator, the combat software makes the turrets more accurate.

Related, what does the crew on a trading ship do? I built a couple, and they each can have 16 crew, but I have no idea what difference the crew makes.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DaveKap posted:

I can at least say that sending my 1 star pilot to "explore" a region leads to the jankiest loving flying I've ever seen and what results could hardly be considered "exploration."
I need some way to get a better pilot that doesn't require mods since that one "levels up every hour" mod feels a little too easy.

How do pilots level up in this one? I bought two ships to use as galaxy traders and the pilots could perform the action out of the box, but I'm curious to know how long the doofus I have shuttling me around is going to have to practice before I can send him out in a scout to explore for me.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yesterday I figured out that when you get enough rep to increase your rank with a faction you'll get a mission that files itself under your "other missions" (I think, might have been guild missions) to go talk to the rep. Hire yourself a couple of galaxy traders and fly around exploring and laying a satellite network for a few hours and you'll hit +10 with at least one faction, unlocking military licenses.

Related to missions. I got what I understand is the start of the PHQ quest scanning a thingy on a station. I started getting shot up by raiders as the dialogue started, so I hammered on ESC to defend myself. The little Boron guy said something like "I thought I'd get a more enthusiastic response, geez!" before he hung up on me and now I don't have a mission anywhere for a PHQ. Will it show back up if I scan more station thingies?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Leal posted:

That's CHEATING :mad:

I like to cruise around in travel, Drop into long range scan mode (since it preserves momentum and doesn't engage flight assist) ping, then pull up my map to find the question marks and head towards them. I know I could cheat with plots, and I really like the scout stalking energy traders idea, but there's something discovering it on my own that really satisfies my brain worms.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Hav posted:

Each contact is highlighted by a circle. Purple flashers are something cool, and it's kinda directional. I use the radar cardinals to scan in different directions (don't forget up/down) when I'm looking for stuff.

I don't know that holding it for different amounts of time does much, I've not noticed much difference in this or Rebirth. Also don't know how the software update effects it.

Worth noting that stations and objects like jumpgates will show as ?'s on your sector map in grey outside of your revealed area if your long range scan pings them. Anomolies, abandoned ships, and other goodies will not, although they WILL show on your radar in ship if you can get them in sensor range before they disappear from the long range scan ping. I think it scans something like the distance of an advanced satellite, about 75km radius.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Has anyone actually seen crew skill increase over time yet? I'm wondering if they've maybe not implemented it yet because my traders have been running for a lot of hours with no increases to their piloting skills.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I've seen decent sized khaak and xenon groups just running around in normal sectors, but no random Khaak destroyers just tearing poo poo up like you would see in X3 yet.

And yeah station defense needs to come back. I like how ships need to be built as part of the economy, but not at the expense of actual combat missions.

I was scooting around the highways and happened upon a big pile of Khaak near a gate. I hopped out and did some dog fighting for a while, and when eventually everything was all dead I got like 200k for "system defense". I think there's some sort of system in there for incursions of some sort with some room for cool stuff. Imagine like, Scale Plate Pact moving into a system in force, smashing everything, and setting up their own booze and weed factories or something. How cool would that be?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've got a good steady income from half a dozen each galaxy traders, silicon miners, and methane miners. I'd like to branch out into station building next. Any tips? Do I need to buy blueprints from a faction, hire a builder, then send them to my build site like in previous games or is the workflow a little different this time?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
oh my god you can rightclick drag the galaxy map to tilt it and get a feel for where things are in relation to Z 0. Nice for getting a feel for how to align stations to highways and stuff

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I docked on a construction ship to maybe poach some decent captains and for some reason all of their stats showed as question marks when I approached them (but they were still hire-able). Is this reputation related or something?

Nope, I suspect they're all supposed to be like that. But once you hit hire you can see their stars when you are supposed to select their assignment, and back out before you pay if they're not managers.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
All things considered, I can't imagine the launch going better than it has. Bugs and things unfinished? Sure, that's become the standard for every game anyway. Egosoft has an incredible track record of post release support, even for Rebirth which everyone loving hated. They're listening and iterating rapidly and sincerely interested in giving us the game we want to have. It's not perfect, but it's one of the best launches I've seen in a while!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yeah, to be fair I spent money on 76 so I'm feeling really god drat forgiving lately.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OwlFancier posted:

The turrets do work but I don't know how you turn them on when you're flying it.

Top of your screen, cockpit view, turn off mouse steering. You can click the shield icon (defend me, I assume), and change it to one that looks like an asteroid (which mines nearby asteroids, I assume).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Where are you guys finding mods and other paint schemes?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Huh, I ignored the PHQ after I warped it in to focus on my trade empire, I'll have to go back to that quest line while I generate revenue to fund the closed loop microchip factory I'm planning.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Nick Esasky posted:

another issue: I seem to have turned off the Automatically Aim To Track Target function for my guns and they only shoot straight ahead now. How do i fix that?

That happens to me every once in a while, opening the menu with enter and closing it with delete clears it up for me.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DogonCrook posted:

They fixed the nvidium bug for miners where they couldnt sell since it isnt used but, that means eventually the market is gone and it stalls again. The only way to get them going again is dump the nvidium and exclude it from being mined.

I managed to do this with my silicon miners. Ore, ice, and methane seem to be the only mining resources that are in abundant enough demand that you can't outpace it with your own supply (barring flooding the universe with hundreds of miners, I suppose). With Nividium being introduced with demand and no existing supply I'm making mountains of money on that for now. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to what my miners are doing now if I want to maximize profitssssssssssssss

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Hav posted:

Check the left menu on the map, under 'missions'. They'll pop up there as you 'collect' them from stations.

I ended up inside the station model for one of the Teladi trading stations. Quite a lot of empty space inside. Bounced around for a while before reloading a save. Very nearly ended up landing on the underside of the platform, but the elevator blocked it.

Egosoft, might I suggest a hole in the geometry with a normalised sign to read 'exit', just in case, TIA? Or a sign that says 'you've had an out of geometry experience'.

If you don't already have an NPC pilot on the ship, keep a spare crew around to promote to pilot. The AI still doesn't pathfind all that well, so Egosoft allows them to bounce against an object a couple of times then slowly move through it. M class ships are particularly prone to this while docking. If you find yourself stuck, get up and let your pilot take over, give a move command, and watch them slowly phase you through solid matter to freedom!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Slickdrac posted:

There's a thread on the forums where someone confirmed you can destroy them.

Speaking of destruction, I wanted to go try and generate more profit opportunities by blowing up storage tanks so they'd need to be refilled. I took out two tanks of a production station near the Teladi trade port, then ran the hell out of system to evade police. I only went down to 13 from 15 with Teladi org, but when I checked back on the map (had a satelite nearby), rather than the station being repaired with the two modules, it was just plain gone entirely. Hoping that's either a bug, or I had a total brainfart on where the station was, because that would mean you could wipe out a whole system with just a fast M ship and a bay full of missiles.

I know the AI is intended to delete and add structures to keep the economy moving. Maybe it also can prune damaged stations in favor of creating the resource demand to build a new one?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Egosoft has to be the one company to have great post launch content and support though. I'd bet they get introduced eventually.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
God drat I wish I could order an employee to deploy a satellite network in discovered sectors as a command, rather than painstakingly telling them to move, then deploy a satellite, repeat.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

kinda why satellites were a bad idea in the first place. Much like crew skill, they engender a lot of micro and work just by existing.

As it stands there's a pretty straightforward rhythm to hiring the first mining ships -> deploy satellites myself around the primary highway loop -> hire wares distributors as cash flow permits -> start station building stuff -> wares distributors promoted to traders -> start buying trade subscriptions to obviate satellite network. It's okay to have to do this on different starts, since the universe starts changing pretty early in the game. I just wouldn't mind being able to pay someone to do it for me.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Thom12255 posted:

Coming out on the same day as Bannerlord, Corona isolation won't be so bad.

I'm legit upset and don't know which to play

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I recently stumbled across Starsector, which is cool and good, but it reminded me about X4 which appears to have gotten extremely good. Very disappointed by the 30xx series bug, none of the little anecdotal workarounds people have posted have done me any good :(. Thanks for posting your screenshots and stuff, it's nice to enjoy the game vicariously through you all.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My girlfriend is not a video game person, and she identifies games I play by something that she sees often. So like Dark Souls 3 is "Bonfires" because she'd always see me stopping at a bonfire. X4 has become "Bureaucracy" because every time she pokes her head in while I'm playing I'm doing some sort of station maintenance. And honestly, despite my enjoyment of combat missions, something about being a space bureaucrat with all of the different faction markets to exploit has really hooked me since picking this back up.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel like I spend a lot of time managing my empire from the map while my pilot flies around doing whatever. I wish there was like a little staff lounge on my ship that I could do it from, instead of standing behind the pilot. Even better if it could also be somewhere that would allow the pilot to behave as though I was out of the sector for combat and navigation. Then if things are particularly hairy I could head to the bridge and take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Did they ever add in pilot orders that let me pay someone to scout systems and drop satellites? In the base game specifically, I'm sure there's a mod for it (there always was in previous games).