Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I just had one of my freighters in X rebirth instantly destroyed by an "Unknown Station" in a friendly sector with no hostile stations OOS. how the hell can that happen?

I remember this! The X3 economy engine adds and removes stations randomly to keep things mixed up. Your ship was in a station when it got removed. That's Egosoft!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Strigil posted:

I do not think the stations get removed in Rebirth, they can be attacked and destroyed, but they will eventually get repaired. My guess is that there is a hostile station that was not discovered in the sector that it was attacked in. They can exist in friendly sectors, but usually well away from the highways. Which sector was it?

Oh, your right. I don't know what's going on in X Rebirth. I just remembered the message from when my universe traders would disappear in X3.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a way to set up an auto trader without manually adding all of the wares to the list in the behavior menu? Ah, that egosoft interface never fails.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

If you highlight the box with the arrow keys and mash enter it should add them all pretty quickly.

This works but doing this for every trader is stupid. I wish you could build an office that would recruit, outfit and deploy a set number of traders. I also wish this game had the control click functionality of openttd.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a trick for getting drones to dock in a timely manner or do they only work out of sector?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

The only trick I am aware of is to grab a cup of tea or other beverage while waiting so you don't care that your drones always take forever to trundle towards your drone-hole. There is also a mod for that, which fixed at least some of the problem for me. Some drone operations still seem to take forever so it's not 100%.

This is my go to game for setting up some menus and watching things gradually happen with snacks and podcasts but watching 20+ drones gunk up the drone hole was stretching my patience. This mod is perfect for me, thanks for the link.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is the new beta private? I was on the 3.30 beta but it disappeared this morning and now I can't load any 3.30 saves on the 3.20 branch.\

:doh: Nevermind, just had to enter the password again, same as last time. And no my saves aren't backed up because I riddle them with mods.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 2, 2020

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I think I figured out why random stations go hostile. I sent a scout to collect drops from some xenon that were getting killed by a station but the station had also been hacked and dropped a bunch of cargo. I think picking up the spilled cargo counts as a hostile act. Additionally I'd occasionally see my station traders trying to pick up wares so that might be why I've had random hostile stations in the past. I'm not sure if there's any way to turn off that behavior.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Does the Terran solar system count as one big sector the way other sectors connected by accelerators do? I've set up a trade station to trade protein paste in Jupiter but the station traders don't go to the farther parts of the system. Is that because of Egosoft jank or does Sol have special rules?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Nope! Just Saturn/Titan and Earth/Luna.

BOO! Make your game mechanics consistent Egosoft! On the plus side trade stations are a blast. Pick a ware with good margins, add those wares to a station, assign some traders and watch icons float around the map making you money.

The Terran economy is completely dysfunctional in my game. My trade station is moving enough protein paste to lower the sell price of terran medical supplies and MREs which I'll add to the same trade station once the margins get better. In order to do the same thing for metallic microlattices and silicone carbide I'm going to need a bunch of miners. After that's set up I'll move on to the ridiculous money maker that is computronic substrates.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 16, 2021

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Does the Split mining ship having two big mining guns instead of just one affect out of sector mining at all?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I have grown tired of managing modified large miners. I will now use swarms of disposable medium miners, purchased scores at a time, thrown like logs on a fire for all of my mining operations.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I'm trying to start the Paranid plot and I'm stuck. I did the first part, where you meet the contact and get attacked by drones, in a corvette and afterwards I got the prompt to "Collect: Information on the Paranid" but nothing happened. I assumed I had to land on contact's destroyer and went to get a fighter but when I came back the destroyer was gone. How is that sequence supposed to go? What was supposed to happen?

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
No luck on that stuck quest even after exploring all of the Paranid sectors. I'm just going to load an older (48+ hours :eek:) save.

Luckily for me the longest and most agonizing part of this game is station design and I can take all of those with me.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Most of my current game is keeping the split's pants up. I don't think I've seen a single capital ship of theirs and If I look away for too long they lose a sector to the xenon.

The Teladi on the other hand have stopped the xenon cold, so have the paranid.

Stupid Split. Shouldn't have brought a war mentality to an econ fight.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I just got the Astrid in my current save. Egosoft needs to release an XL Battleship with a fully modeled interior and sell it as a $40 dlc.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is there any way to force/save edit the worker's welfare questline into starting on a custom save? I just read about the quest not liking custom saves. I'm already backed into a weird hybrid of only having one save so I have to accept ship losses and having ten sequential saves while doing quests since they like to turn inside out, swallow their own guts and die. I don't want to have to scrap another 40+ hour save because I didn't know about the game's unique kinks.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Worker's Welfare is the name of the quest. I think it's supposed to be universal and start whenever the PC builds a habitat on a factory.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
There is a 'UI Scale' option under game settings.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Doing that crap once and never again is what custom starts are for.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
It's very in character for the split to get their face kicked in in all of my saves. Stupid warrior race, bringing a war-game mentality to an econ game.

I'd also like a more layered economy. Building ships of every size out of shoddier, low tech inputs would add a lot of texture to the mid-game.

While we're wishing; give me a civilian economy. Put one fat trade station on top of every heavily colonized planet that has a bottomless appetite for space goods. It would give me someone to sell to that isn't sending more ships to throw at the nearest xenon station.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Will this add pirates? Hearing :kiddo: Boron hope you drown :kiddo: always brightened my day in X3. Getting this regardless, hopefully boron ships are still paintable.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

I just made a noise like a cartoon bear opening a box of chocolates.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Start a new game in the station building simulator real quick. Everything's un-locked so you can view all the habitats in 3d. I'm not sure how actual construction works in there though I never get that far.

Edit: I forgot about the whole ghost texture thing. Luckily the sim has a 'Force Construction' button after you confirm module changes.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 20, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a map for the apotheosis maze? I like this game, I really do, but any of the script heavy missions wastes 3 hours tripping over it's own dick. I'm on my sixth reload and I just want to know were to put the bombs so I can get back to telling triangles where to go in map mode.

Edit: I made it out! gently caress! Back to triangles.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 25, 2023

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I have! :buddy:

NEVER AGAIN :byodood:

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
As I understand it none xenon/kha'ak factions at war are supposed to only attack each other's military ships and leave trade ships alone.

This seems to be the case in my game but only if I'm out of sector. As soon as I'm nearby all enemy trade ships get massacred, usually banging up my trade station in the process.

Has this always been the case? Does anyone know what might be causing this? I really miss hanging out and watching all the traffic while I map-game but now it's raining laser towers.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Homeworld had the best carriers and support ships to boot! Watching ships do the docking dance breaks my heart every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Welp.

I had a 17 day save that had just reached the point where I had started up my first Shipyard and I'm almost able to solve my problems with swarms of destroyers. A little earlier this week 'Uncharted Skies' had an update (helpfully pushed by steam) that rotates a few gates to make the mod more compatible with some other mods that alter the map.

This has the side effect of cloning some gates in old saves. This breaks the pathing of ships meaning some sectors are forever unreachable. Including my chip fab (My 128 unit chip fab.)

This would have been prevented by keeping a rotating set of saves but X4 is a game just stable enough to accept an iron man approach but just buggy enough to punish you for trying to take the iron man approach.

I guess it was time for a break anyway. I'll come back for 7.0, just in time to have my heart broken by new, more interesting, mod mishaps

Edit: The author released a back-up version and I was able to restore the save. That was agonizing.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 27, 2024