Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

FrickenMoron posted:

All hostilities have ceased...little ship production going on...all wharfs have missing parts.

The game is working perfectly fine for player economy, wars will continue as soon as supplies are delivered. The Xenon and Khaak are screwed* though. HOP will have fights with ANT and PAR pretty regularly if you keep them supplied. Xenon will rarely launch attacks every once in a long while. Teladi and Argon don't really have much threat or anyone to fight, but with their location, they keep the pirates at bay easily. The more I work out strategy and faction layout and future play styles with the map, the more I see that they really screwed the pooch on it. Argon are at war with...no one next to them except that Xenon pocket. Teladi are in the same situation. ANT and PAR are okay bordering one enemy. HOP are at war with everyone, which is puzzling to me so far, the HOP seem like nice Paranids, and PAR are your normal scorched earth type ones, should be the other way around I would think. But HOP are surrounded by threats, are tied with ANT for least space, and none of their sectors are resource rich. Right now with no ability to produce your own ships, most fun domination playstyle seems to be to partner with them, since they already are willing and able to join in on invasions of neighbors (though you'll need to cede the sectors to them so they stay bordering.

*Xenon still work, just far slower because they have 1/2 sectors in each pocket of theirs, they need more stations or to just cheat. Khaak are just broken, they have no means to produce more ships or gather resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Ventures. Which they billed as missions into other players games. When I was dorking with the save files, I saw placeholders for up to 100 player entities in a save.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Because nobody asked for it, I did some weapons testing. Used a 6 S gun Pulsar to shoot an uncrewed, unshielded Mammoth. A cycle is the time spent shooting, and waiting for it to cool back down.

-Plasma is the best for burst damage, unsurprisingly
-Pulse has the best damage per heat generated, which is kind of surprising to me. It's also able to put out 3x as much damage as anything else before overheating, and can basically shoot forever
-Beams are poo poo for everything except that they can put out tracking damage, but with the turret patch (which could get even better), the woeful damage they put out doesn't really justify using them over Pulse or Bolt
-It takes 32 seconds for all weapons to cool down, except for beams, which take 4 more seconds for some reason
-Bolt and pulse damage values don't line up with the encyclopedia, but the output values are based on single rounds, while those both operate on multi-round magazines, this is not explained anywhere in game and I learned it from someone else doing file digging (and he didn't factor in heat)
-I did a 7 shot and 8 shot test with the plasma (7 shots takes it within a hair's width of maxxing the bar), strangely, this had nearly 0 impact on the dps values, possibly doing slightly MORE damage in bursts, but within MOE

Each weapon does seem useful in it's own way, though 3 stand out as having solid purpose, the other two not so much
-Bolt is an excellent all purpose weapon for anything in any fight style
-Plasma is good for cap ship/station fighting to put on your fleet
-Pulse is good for parking up in blindspots and putting a brick on the trigger
-Shard you could use for cap ship fly swatting if you're not screening with fighters
-Beam's exist, look neat, and can somewhat compensate for either a spastic pilot or target. I'd argue pulse would still be better to use though with it's 4km/s speed though

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Morphix posted:

Words of war

Did you invade the Xenon sector, or HOP? I watched a streamer cheat up a fleet for invading the main races and it was brutal. One guy took 50 destroyers and a couple hundred other ships into an Argon sector and went basically 1 for 1 in ship kills off the gate, then he went after a defense platform (which did have combat drones) and they proceeded to decimate about half his remaining fleet before it was down. He used fighters to screen drones on the next one and it went a bit better, but after the defense platforms the rest of the system went pretty smoothly, but he lost about 3/4ths of his destroyers and basically all the fighters.

Section Z posted:

This is great stuff.

Does your mysterious sorcery also know what the heck this "Stargazer's guild Membership" that came for free with hitting Rep 10 with Alliance does? (Harder than hitting rank 20 with ARG, oh my god).

I also noticed their initial price for a trade subscription is a miniscule 10,000. So maybe the pricetags seeming to grow over time is down to how many stations a faction has? Because holy poo poo ALI is always minuscule as gently caress.

All the races have a guild, only a few of them actually seem to have guild missions to give out though (I've seen HOP, PAR, ARG, TEL, and SPP). The rest have the framework there, but no content. The ones that do work though can bug out permanently to where you can no longer get any more missions.

The trade price thing is a weird bug or something, the prices definitely seem to be set and not impacted by number of stations (and always cost 10+ million when you can actually buy it)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a station that produces energy, hull parts and claytronics, but when I try to build more station modules it doesn't seem to move those resources into build storage.

Is this because I'm using a rental construction ship, or some other weird economic thing?

You need cargo drones for it to move them over.

Currently looking in the files for the best spot to farm crystals at. Only certain sectors actually spawn them, and they are a special asteroid type. Experiential, Faulty Logic appears to be the best spot to farm them.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Scale Plate standing is locked in at -5, shoot them, help them, doesn't matter.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

There's an exploration buffing mod out now. The "Buff" is basically just telling the autoexplore to quit dicking around and get on with it
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/84

The war news just pops up in the bottom left occasionally, but doesn't go into the log for whatever reason :iiam:

I cross posted the weapon stuff over to Reddit and it's been sitting at the top getting some good feedback, so I'll build it out further tonight I guess, at least for M size weapons. I have no idea how I'm going to stably test the L turrets

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Is there a way to blacklist a specific ware from my universe traders? They make good money when they trade anything except energy cells so I would like to make them stop that.

Click the plus sign next to the order, you can deselect items from there.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Thank you both very much, that did the tricks perfectly. Its funny how the interface is simultaneously better and worse than before.

So something interesting as a thought experiment. When you sell ships, they don't just magic into the ether as before, they become part of whomever you sold it to. I wonder if you can use that to recreate an assault fleet for them? If you can sell them the materials from your own station production, that covers half the ship expense roughly, and when you sell it back even you get back most of the value. So it's good money regardless.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

pixaal posted:

Nividium isn't used in anything, so once you fill the storage of every station that buys it you can't sell anymore.

You can hack storage terminals with slicers to try and puke the Nvidia out (and then hoover it up and resell it to them), or if your standing is good enough to take the hit, bring in the 5 gun Paranid corvette and take down the storage tanks. Another thing on my list to check is whether you can piss off the factions and yet still have their traders come and buy your things like you could before.

Thom12255 posted:

I've seen guild missions ask you to board them so I assume yeah.

I've seen no one even claim to have legit taken a Xenon fighter, and the capitals all say impossible to board regardless of number of Marines.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Before I left my X4 game waiting for the patch to drop i saw some HOP builder ship in Faulty Logic. Wonder how thats gonna work out for them after the update.

With 1.32, Faulty Logic built back up in a matter of minutes for me. I went in to do more crystal mining, and within 10 minutes there were fighters that didn't exist on me. Was still pretty easy to just gently caress off to another area of the system and just move belts as needed. But there were 4 destroyers on the exit gate when leaving.

Crystals are stupid. This is 30 minutes in FL and having to gently caress off to a different zone every 10 minutes.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

That looks like the "encounter" script, which will just drag a ship from somewhere else so space doesn't feel empty. One thing I'm starting to notice is the AI LOVES to build more constructor ships. My universe is drenched in the things.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

I bought the blueprints for a Teladi Engine Parts factory thinking it would need Telandiunium but actually needs something called "Refined Metals". I can see that the Refined Goods factories sell this but how can I make my own, I can't find any blueprint for this factory. Does anyone know how to make your own Refined Metals?

Teladianium is just refined metals, they're interchangable. They require less energy cells to produce, but need more ore.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Your inventory will highlight them red as relevant for the system you're in too.

Edit: Am I just crazy, or does the Paranid start seem to have a LOT more bugs pop up while playing?

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 12, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

For anyone restarting, your first order of business should be getting a handful of trading ships to keep the shipyards and wharfs supplied when you need to. Else you're going to get stuck waiting for possibly hours to get any new ships or even just restocking on equipment.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

At least ships definitely have distinct speed profiles before you account for some of the crazy crafted mods shown off in the thread. Teladi and Argon Small ships even given Paranid engines, are mostly going to be slower than a Paranid with some MK2 whatever engines.

The Kestral Scout is slower than a Paranid MINER equipped with bargain mk2 engines. "No, gently caress you. THREE engines on the Mining ship or we execute you for heresy!"

I swear some of the ship speed stats are typos. Paranid Miner ships in particular, the LARGE versions are the 2nd and 3rd fastest ships in the game for travel speed (7479, and 6830)

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do I have to individually hire 75 people to get workers for my station? Please tell me there’s an easier way

I think if you build a habitation module, it will fill over time on its own.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

So, about that multiplayer...

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4770423&sid=03de03e21d5efb65c707e45587f59f80#p4770423

"Sorry to disappoint you, but these functions were just experiments. The Online Features options will have further uses down the line, but these functions aren't among them."

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

Yeah in situations like that where the is a HUGE gap between the same ship category, all multi engines are is a CR tax for visuals. Which can gently caress right off.

Like the Teladi M Frigate having two engines for 1.9 travel speed with a mk3 travel engine. It doesn't even have more shield generators than other frigates. While the two engine Argon M Frigate gets 3.8 travel.

Or the poor unloved Teladi Guillemont Scout. FOUR loving engines, only one gun and one shield. Still slower than Paranid everything, and slower than the 3 engine Argon small ships (On that note, feels like they got the ARG "Courier Vanguard Courier" and ARG Miner speeds backwards). FOUR engines for 5.7 travel tops. And it's a 960 cargo scout doesn't make up for that compared to it's peers. It is a SCOUT, with four goddamned engines. It should be the fastest thing in the universe.

What sorry sack of poo poo got stiffed with "Three engines is slower than a ship of the same type with one engine"? I can at least understand stuff like noncombat ships getting by on less engines than warships. But it's clear now that I take a second look there are some huge issues within the same category.

The above mentioned fact that even within factions, Argon's 3 engine miner is NOTABLY faster than their 3 engine Courier model does hint that there are probably some basic fuckups of the "we got it backwards!" variety too.

Had a thought on the backwards between classes though. The L class ships are ALL faster in travel speed than their M counterparts, which kind of would buff the role of a carrier type ship, if docking/undocking weren't ungodly slow and the fleet function would work to pair up smaller miners to mine for the big ship, or allow for superfreighters.

e; double posting is a 1.32 bug

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Hoo boy. I was afraid someone was going to ask how that works.

OKAY. So, short answer, if you cover the shortfall in one sale, and you're 1st in the queue, it will build your ship right away.

Long answer, it depends on your queue location, and what the supply level is at, and what a sale to it brings it to. So take this generic ship queue with arbitrary values of an ambiguous item needed for each to be built. For ease, the dock has 0 of this item.

Ship 1-300 needed
Ship 2-400 needed
Ship 3 (You)-200 needed
Ship 4-100 needed

In this case, the shipyard will tell you that 1000 items are needed.

If you bring 1000 items, it will start work on all 4 (If it's a wharf at least, shipyard can build 1 L and 1 XL at a time)
If you bring 700 items, it will begin work on Ship 1 and 2
If you bring 500 items, it will begin work on Ship 1 and SHOULD begin work on your ship
If you bring 200, it should start on your ship
If you bring 100, it will start on ship 4

In sum, if you want the drat thing to get on with it, get the big fucker trade ship and load it up with whatever it's short of to sell. I was at war with the HOP trade dock for hours this morning even with 6 M trade ships doing nothing but bringing it items because all the S ships they kept asking for kept stealing materials.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I am up to needing 15 M hauling ships to keep this drat HOP yard running. This is a bit nuts. It's not a total soft lock problem though, the ALI and MIN yards don't ever, or at least rarely build ships on their own, so they keep stocked well, and are easier to keep stocked, though ALI limits you to hauling ships, and MIN/Teladi ships aren't great.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 13, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I'm puzzled, how are you expecting that to be conveyed that it isn't?

The encyclopedia spells out, item x is made from items a, b, and c, and can be used to make item K. Compared to X3, the industrial system and flows are downright simple.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

So much as a single line of text added to the encyclopedias would sort a lot of it.

Something mentioning the important fact that Teladnium is the ONLY(?) alternative ingredient in the game.

Section Z posted:

Claytronics having a line explicitly stating it's purpose as station crafting material

When you build stations, there's a tab that spells out what items you need. Now that I look, the encyclopedia also tells you what each station module needs. Each production line tells you exactly how many of what items per hour it needs and how much it produces. The flaw there is that it doesn't group together multiple modules into one drop down in logistics (I understand why, so they can run independantly). But this isn't really rocket science to figure out?

Yeah, Teladianium isn't spelled out "WHEN YOU USE STATION MODULES FROM THE TELADI, IT'LL USE THIS INSTEAD OF REFINED THINGS", but the Encyclopedia doesn't really go into mechanics like that in the first place. Maybe it should be more explicit, but it's also one of those things that's a "known" thing by anyone who's not totally new to the series so they didn't cover it. Alternative ingrediants for the same process is absolutely RAMPANT in X3, so it's more anomalous that it's an oddball rather than the norm in this one.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 13, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It's not "Flavor text", this is a German game, that's where you learn the mechanics and wtf things are. The rest of the page is spreadsheet fodder.

90% of those text boxes are empty, many will always be that way. If there is something in there, it's usually worth reading

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

concise posted:

Autotrade (Galaxy) is an option at 0 stars from the right click orders menu. It doesn't allow you to filter goods, but setting up 50 traders through that menu is tedious anyhow.

Yes it does, almost all commands have a little + sign to the left you can click and drop down. For trading options, it allows you to add or remove wares from the list without needing to reissue orders, it's better to adjust from those rather than just rely on the default behaviour to adjust correctly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

concise posted:

Oh, nice. Why does the default behavior Autotrade option exist then?

Also, is there a good way to copy orders between ships?

No idea, they do ALMOST the same thing, but one starts with all items selected and you have to deselect things, the other starts with nothing selected and you have to pick things. The behaviour is different between them. One will trade around the universe, the other will more or less base out of the system they got the order in, though I can't remember which was which. Best for trading I've found is to tell them to supply to or from a specific sector for them to not go too nutty. Or basing them from my own station.

To the second question, as soon as you find a method or mod, please share with us all.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I dropped a station in heretic's end with a administration building on it (or whatever its called) that is supposed to let you capture an sector, first come first served. Even though the sector was unowned nothing changed and I don't control it. So I don't know how well that bit works yet.

You need a second one there. I think it might be the Pirate station technically counts as one admin building, so your 1 puts it into "contested".

Or it's a bug, :egosoft:

This may be unpopular (even I could argue against it), but I kind of like the default trading behaviour as far as traders generally not taking long trades. For player stations, it forces the need to spread stations around, and specialize them to an extent, rather than a lot of people's X3 model of "80% of the universe's economy lives in this one sector now". It means that the racial AI (unintentionally) leaves trading gaps around the universe, and leaves room for the player to exploit.

What's definitely needed though is a way to say "pick poo poo up in this system, and fly it over here, do that run on repeat" so you don't have to micromanage every trade action. Trading is profitable, just not if you leave it to do it's own thing and have it move 20 things at a time.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

There's a thread on the forums where someone confirmed you can destroy them.

Speaking of destruction, I wanted to go try and generate more profit opportunities by blowing up storage tanks so they'd need to be refilled. I took out two tanks of a production station near the Teladi trade port, then ran the hell out of system to evade police. I only went down to 13 from 15 with Teladi org, but when I checked back on the map (had a satelite nearby), rather than the station being repaired with the two modules, it was just plain gone entirely. Hoping that's either a bug, or I had a total brainfart on where the station was, because that would mean you could wipe out a whole system with just a fast M ship and a bay full of missiles.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Did they patch out teleporting to any station in the galaxy as well?

At least in 1.32, you could still hop to Xenon wharfs. Sadly no way to stow away on the mining ships that park in there.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

So...might be some issues remaining with shipyards/wharfs supply still. Started a new game (Argon one since it seems least buggy), and before I even finished going to upgrade the ship with a T2 docking module, it was already short on parts.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

IMO, it needs the ability for the player to be able to construct their own ships/weapons before I call it fully featured. But it's pretty solidly functional at this point, with just a pain point of you are essentially REQUIRED to fill the holes in the economy.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Good: 1.5 allows you to set Destroyer and Carrier weapons to just fire on enemies without needing to be shot at first

Bad: Stations have a lot of "criminal ships" and your gunners care not about collateral damage

Ugly: Dying on the dock of your own station to your own ship docked there never giving up hope of hitting the target through the wall

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

^They were also about as maneuverable as a dead pig in tar

Capacity is the only real metric that matters though with the delay in shield recharge rate. The 15% boost you get in rate of recharge that starts 30% faster on Paranid is basically worthless when your shield rarely regen in combat, the 25% boost in shield buffer is all that matters for Teladi. PAR shields are the worst.

Engines have a bit more variety. PAR have the best subspeed engines, ARG have the best travel speed engines, TEL have the shortest cooldown on engaging travel speed after an attack and the best brakes. PAR also have 1/2 seconds extra boost available on ALL engine types and get up to speed faster in travel. So at least with engines, you got some options, PAR for combat ships, ARG for general traders/economy ships, TEL for smugglers.

And as far as turrets go, ARG/TEL seem to be the same? But PAR have better rotation speeds for tracking.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Phobeste posted:

I thought the boron weren’t in because they couldn’t figure something out for making an aquatic species mesh with the walkable stations

Have them get around in water filled hamster balls

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Falcorum posted:

Is there a sensible way to see what ware a shipyard's missing to build a ship that's waiting construction? Best I can tell the only way is to try to buy the same ship and see what wares appear in the purchasing order as red.

For a particular ship? No, not really. For the queue itself, you just go into the build/buy menu and it'll tell you what's needed for the ships it wants to build. Or if you've scanned the station (or installed the mod that autoscans everything discovered) you can just look at it's info page and what storage is low on.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I mean, PPC was not exactly super difficult to dodge or get trapped in heavy fire from, exceptions for gently caress off fleet battles having a couple dozen destroyers on scene.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Any word on if they’ve adjusted the Autopilot pathing? It’s dumb that S/M want to take the highway to go from 18 Billion to southeast Grand Exchange, but L/XL doing that path is ridiculous

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Have they fixed the autopilot yet to where capital ships don't try to path as if they can use the superhighway?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Last I knew, capitals also calculated it the same way and treated the highway as a valid pathway it could take. Leading to those silly long routes

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Is there any mod or something to adjust flying with a controller? Turrets are just absolutely worthless unless you're going in a straight line. The tiniest move and they just go absolutely insane overcompensating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I think I broke something in the Torus Mission?

Assuming all the combos are the same 7 changes 8, 8 changes 6 and 7, 7 and 8 are different from each other and I see no way to make them the same?

e; Yep, it's a bug. Heads up when you're doing a light switch logic puzzle, do NOT use the repair beam on covered switches or you will make it unsolvable.

vvv-If you repair beam a covered switch it will flip the other switches without flipping itself, but this doesn't repeat itself, so you can get 4 of the lights into an unresolvable position.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 19, 2021