Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dermit posted:

Boron ships were easily the coolest design in the X games and I hope to hell they don't mess that up

Didn't I read somewhere the boron are dead offscreen because animating fish people was going to be too much work or did I just dream all that?

I miss the X2 boron ship designs the most. I want a cool Manta-Ship with a twirly tentacle tail, Egosoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I hope there will be more random hostile aliens to shoot at rather than other factions. Give me silly huge space battles.

I'm hoping they work to make the Yaki and Pirates actually... active rather than just existing.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hav posted:

Edit: Am I the only person that couldn't give a gently caress for walking around?

I don't particularly care either, and I expect no one else really does, but the X series has always had a... simulationist bent, I suppose? So allowing players to explore the giant space stations they fly past all the time was probably always going to happen. I imagine STAR CITIZEN probably pressured them to do that to compete earlier than they might have, before everyone realized that Star Citizen was never actually going to happen.

Edit: I will say, however, that the idea of me getting to stand on the bridge of my M1 in the middle of a fight, like some Imperial Admiral looking out the windows of his Star Destroyer does have a certain appeal.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 26, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hav posted:

I'm a veteran of egosoft from the first game, and have left teeth marks on the case for Reunion.

This pretty much all started with Eve talking about it; at the time I pointed out that the massive difference between the station occupancy of say, Jita IV, compared with literally any station in a 0.5 or below was going to vastly limit the opportunities for said presence. I _suspect_ that they were looking for ways to tighten up Dust/Eve interactions to eventually merge.

X-Rebirth started out as an Xbox game with little to do with the regular universe, but placed the walking up front and center; on release, you had to go find people on the stations and engage in a minigame translated from German to get discounts and poo poo.

Neither of those approaches actually helped the core gameplay, and came close to sinking CCP before they decided to ditch first person and the White Wolf brand.

As for competing with Star Citizen; they were pretty much johnny-come-latelys to the whole walking immersion thing, metastasizing 'Star Marine' into the core. They're suffering from the same gameplay issues with regard to scaling, and will run into some fairly nasty networking issues when they attempt to scale up.

I'm with you on the bridge, though. That tends to help underline the size of some of the ships.

Ahhh, right, I had forgotten about CCP trying to do that. I remember 10 dollar boots and 7 dollar monocles and poo poo.

I'm very curious how commanding fleets from a map on your Captial Ship bridge will feel. I really want it to be good or at least, fixable. Being able to pretend to be a Real Space Admiral does sound fun.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I couldn't remember the price and I thought 70-80 bucks sounded insane so I hedged my bets. Turns out it was exactly that insane.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I played X3 at release and it was fun; I don't remember any particularly egregious bugs, so I'm pretty comfortable having pre-purchased X4. It might be wonky but it looks like it'll be a fun game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I can't watch this but I am pleased that my pre purchase seems vindicated

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Even if it somehow ends up worse than it looks, Egosoft doesn't abandon games. Even Rebirth is playable now. I doubt I'll regret my choice.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

A hauler filled with miner bee ships just needs a mod that lets me capture ships via tractor beam to become the Homeworld simulator I've always wanted.

Also need a mobile factory ship but that seems easier.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

chglcu posted:

Forums appear to have eaten my post, so sorry if this turns into a double-post:

This is my main problem with this game. There's too much stuff that has no reason to be there, like the station scanning, being forced to walk around empty, massive copy-pasted stations, etc. They seem to have spent a lot of effort on things that add absolutely nothing positive to the experience, while neglecting things that would actually be useful in an X game. Stuff like an interesting economy or fleets that actually work as a unit.

This is probably why I've been bouncing off it and waiting as long as I have. Hopefully egosoft does their usual thing of polishing the game into a proper experience but it's gonna take a while at this rate.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Is the Split expansion going to bring Foundations somewhere near X3 content? I find myself mostly waiting for more to DO.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Them having a use is a headline feature for 3.0 heh.

Is there any indication of the next expansion? Possibly Terrans?

I forget, are borons in? I want manta ray spacecraft

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Avorion is fun. I dunno what you mean about encouraged tho. You can build in whatever way you want and itís not really a problem so long as youíve got enough shields and hull for your progression

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

People say stuff like that but letís be extremely honest; people are weird and will absolutely get weird with ship design given the freedom to do so. Even in an extremely realistic or real-to-life sci fi setting, people would still paint and customize their ships even if no one could ever see them. We are too expressive as a species to all decide grey boxes are best. It would never happen.

Edit; basically the instant form can exist without the overriding needs of function, people will start to apply their personal aesthetic to spaceship design.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 3, 2020

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Archonex posted:

Also the custom built ISD bridge is coming soon.
Being able to stand imperiously on the bridge of an ISD and direct the course of battle is all Iíve ever wanted out of a Star Wars game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm excited for the Yaki. Hell yes pirates.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah. If thereís one thing Egosoft seems to do well, itís iterate and listen to feedback on what makes their stuff work. Mostly, anyway.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

queeb posted:

insanely well done. has a fuckton of ships

As soon as that Star Destroyer bridge drops, I won't be able to resist its siren's call.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I have to know; in the Star Wars mod, are TIEs/Fighters visibly stored under Assault Gozantis? Also do default TIEs have hyperdrives or do they dutifully need to be carted everywhere?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

queeb posted:

and yeah they have hyperdrives, since its just a re-tooled travel mode.

Hell yes. I love the Gozanti for some reason. I wonder how much of the bridge is modeled.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I just caught the bit about it being competitive, sounds... weird tbh.

I am very confused but I like that theyíre apparently willing to experiment with whatever theyíre trying to do.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm almost ready to start boarding though! My frigate can take things on reasonably well and it has 15 marines ready to die for profitsss

Speaking of which, Egosoft, whereís my Teladi start goddamnit

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

^Yes just drop things all over

You need to get I think rank 10 with Teladi or MIN to unlock it

Wait holy poo poo I had no idea.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So my current ship seems to be 'stuck'. It has an automatic Dock order set to critical with a station but it isn't doing anything and refuses to move no matter how many times I swap out my captains or manually control the ship.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

After playing with VRO for about 20 hours I can safely say I donít recommend it. Some of the new ships are cool, some very much arenít, and I donít think their attitude toward combat is a good one.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

chglcu posted:

Hanging out on a station and teleporting to the ship when necessary seems like it would accomplish this, though I guess it's not the same thematically.

Yeah for larger ships I want a Captainís Ready Room or a chair on the bridge to sit in Star Trek style.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah the ZYA are very bad at keeping Xenon Defense Station Creep under control.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Out of curiosity what is the issue that you have with it?

Some of the ships it adds are pretty seamless, like the Argon Frigate or some of the Teladi ones, but some of them are very obviously ripped and adapted from X3 and they're glaringly out of place. Additionally, VRO takes the approach that X4 combat is too "arcadey", whatever that means, and adjusts this by having everything have an internal shield generator so that targeting shield modules is now pointless since you have to be able to beat the regen. I kind of feel like X4's combat is fine as is.

It also doubles the cruise speed of pretty much every ship. Which is whatever, really.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree with the desire for something more impactful and meaningful. I'll just have to wait to a pure combat rebalance if VRO doesn't suck up all the oxygen in the room for it. Or maybe Egosoft will go for a more module-focused re-balance.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Oh god. I built a Claytronics facility with 5 Claytronics factories and it's going to require... 16 Large Biomes to get up to proper efficiency, including all the required Sunflowers and Nostrop Oil and etc.

Now if only my Silicon miners could loving HURRY IT UP.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Claytronics is a very expensive production module yes, you probably want to start out with one and then use that to expand.

Oh I have the money, the facility is already built. I just need to get the Biome blueprint so I can expand it with habs. But it's going to be a giant nightmare station lol

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

All hail family Rhonkar.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Xenon have taken Getsu Funae and The Asteroid Belt. Jupiter is next.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Iím deeply curious what theyíve done in this new pack. If they managed to port over some of the RTS elements of X4 map control Iíll have a hard time deciding which to play.

This is truly bizarre. I wonder if the team just has a deep fondness for X3ís engine. This was also a deft time to release it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds interesting. Do we know what mod it was based on?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Please stop trundling pirate destroyers into Grand Exchange to gently caress up my traders, Fallen Families

Where are those fuckers based? Iím technically part of SCA and I hope one I get my first rank with them theyíll leave my poo poo alone but I wanna steal FAFs poo poo.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Definitely one of the things I want is for pirates to be actually organized as a sub faction like the Yaki are. Let me work with various factions and really delve into piracy proper.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

And 2. yes I wish the AI was better at picking what to mine.

I'm starting to consider abandoning the idea of "All in One" factories and instead creating resource depots limited to a single mineral or gas, since holy goddamn they are dumb as hell. Literally will not stop mining ice even if we're completely full on ice and empty on ore. I made you dump your cargo and you still went back for more ice.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hopefully mining is a priority for upcoming patches. I know it can be fixed, I just hope it's soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus christ are you kidding me

So apparently, when mining for a station, miners use the auto-trade script to determine what they need to get. Which means if, for example, you've set ore to never be bought because Obviously you've got miners mining it for you, this sets its priority to low or non existent, which means you miners will prioritize things like, say, ice. Even if you're entirely out of ore and full up on ice.