Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The last game I preordered was No Man's Sky and I'm gonna fuckin preorder this right now!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
should've called it X: Afterbirth

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only crunch time I care about is when my expectations collide with the actual game I've already purchased

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In Rebirth, they responded to player complaints by making the walking stuff optional. One of the main problems with walking was that the joystick response on my Steam controller felt terrible compared to everything else designed for Xbox controllers.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After playing Rebirth, Evochron, and No Man's Sky, it's hard for me to imagine planetary or station landing that doesn't turn out to be boring and detract from the rest of the game

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they'll handle the cockpit stuff for Xenon ships. It doesn't make sense for them to have a chair, life support, and space to walk around. In X3 they could sidestep this because the ships didn't feel very personal anyway, but adding interiors changes that a bit.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC there was justification in X3's lore. The Xenon keep building ships with cockpits because their ships are still built off old Terran designs so they think the cockpit is necessary.

Ugh, I wish I didn't know this

Orv posted:

Kha'akpit.

:eyepop:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can we get a streamer with more wacky yelling next time?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's kind of a 3D Starsector in my opinion. If you like slow paced (but not necessarily grindy) games with an emphasis on exploration, you'll like X. Be prepared for a few rough edges, though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be great

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
According to the benchmarks I'm looking up, a 970 is actually a pretty fast card? Or at least way faster than my 1050ti which plays everything I throw at it in 1920x1080 with close to max settings with no trouble maintaining >30 FPS

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For everyone worried about framerates prior to purchasing, I'm playing this very smoothly with most settings maxed at 2k resolution with my 1050ti. It's rough around the edges for sure, but it runs well and definitely feels like a proper sequel to the X3 games so far rather than anything like Rebirth.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

What are people playing with? Mouse and keyboard, joystick, controller?

I have a joystick that I might use, but idk if it's optimized for that.

Steam controller is working fine for me with occasional transition to keyboard for those few commands I haven't bound yet.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Anyone having a problem with turning off travel mode also turns off flight assist? I've checked the controls, they're not bound together.

Yeah, have to toggle it back on every time

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else suffering from the music looping every 30 seconds while on a station?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WebDO posted:

If you launch an X game and are surprised by a random formatting of your hard drive that happens I'm not sure what game you thought you were playing

Even at this stage, it still feels more robust than anything in the Stalker trilogy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mouse controls are fine

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It'll probably get a steep discount within a year. Put it on the wishlist and see how it's improved when the winter sale hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They should've put all game state into an in-memory SQLite and backed it up to disk at shutdown time