Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
This is actually looking real loving good. Let's see how canned and bad the space legs is though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Reminder X:2, X:3 and X: Rebirth were all train wrecks at launch to one degree or another.

Don't hype yourself up that it's going to be bug free as AP or something that has had years to be patched.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I said come in! posted:

X:2 and X:3 were fundamentally good games though, they just had a lot of bugs. X: Rebirth at it's core is a terrible game that isn't fun and that can't be fixed without making what is basically releasing this Friday.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I want it to be bad, just trying to curb people's enthusiasm. I loved X2 n 3, really hoping this one fills the space void left by elite (no replayability) and SC (not out).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Space :420: that's a buy

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mongolian Queef posted:

I just boarded a ship heading for who knows where. I was trying to steal an NPC ship as it landed on the pad next to me. I ran into it but the pilot never left his seat so I didn't really have anything to do in there.
Then the door closed and he undocked, headed to another system with me on board. I can only use my space suit (leave his ship in the middle of nowhere), if I press Shift-D I'm just back into the same NPC ship, not my own ship in the other system.

LMBO space hobo simulator

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I haven't had a single crash?

Finally started playing this and am leaning the ropes, got my first trader up and running but figured out you need to have skill 3 to auto trade? How do you find crew that isn't awful? Every random I see on stations is horrible...

It is nice that you can queue up buy and sell orders and filter them from the map, makes managing one or a couple not bad but it would still be annoying to do that with half a dozen.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think the idea of a skill system is fine and gating off better behaviors behind it there just needs to be a trade off and better way to handle it. E.g have all skill levels available but orders of magnitude more expensive to hire, make skill progression actually noticeably progress etc.

Got a few mods that do just that will see how effective it annoying they are...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Probably the wrong place but any of y'all get this working on Linux? Any issues with mods?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also what was the carrier in that trailer, I don't remember carriers launching fighters like that, have I just not played this in that long?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Antigravitas posted:

I haven't used mods in a while, but since they are all cross-platform stuff (munging xml files mostly) they should be fine.

Game itself is running well on Linux, except that alt-tabbing always minimises the game and alt-tabbing back to the game leads to a load screen. No idea if that is the same on Windows as well.

(This is on an AMD card btw)

:hfive:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Saul Kain posted:

Does anyone have a good xbox controller layout? I’be been fiddling with the binds but can’t land on a setup I like.

Obviously from your post it's still undecided but I feel like if using a controller isn't terrible with menu navigation I could spend a lot more time on this game. Playing on the couch sounds very appealing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So is this playable with a controller yet or not really? Wanna try it again with the new dlc but being able to play on the couch would significantly increase my enjoyment I think

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

OwlFancier posted:

I would say that ecells are extremely oversupplied right now to the point that they are an utterly trivial part of the economy, so there is a lot of room to increase scarcity in some systems or make specific ecell generation systems. You can supply huge factories just by slapping a couple of solar panels on them anywhere which, IMO, is a bit silly.

Also yeah that's a weirdly... singuar place to put the connections. The split get connections all across the northern loop and the terrans just connect to the arse end of argon space and that's it?

Did you never play X2(or was it 3)? Ecells were like a stupid valuable product compared to everything else, because every station was always empty. To the point there was no economy or point to building anything but solar farms. It's been a very deliberate change sense.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Did anyone ever make a mod to make the combat a bit more fleshed out?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Slickdrac posted:

They don't even need to raid, Frontier is laying everyone off but management anyway!

Are they really? Not that surprising but sad nevertheless. Incredible how mismanaged that game is/was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Chaos Gate? Technically I think thats a different studio Frontier just published it through some greenlight like program.

Its competent but nothing amazing. Gets repetitive as its worst offense. So Frontiers bread and butter.