Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm thinking of caving and finally buying this, just a few questions.

A) Can I play with Split stuff immediately? I thought I saw someone earlier in the thread say stuff involving them (in game, not the expansion itself obviously) was locked behind some quest lines

B) Uhhh I'm a bit confused with the store options.

So the Split expansion (+ one more to come) is part of the collectors edition content right? But this package deal is loving up it seems (its only applying -20% to base X4, not -30%), so I should just buy the game and collectors stuff individually without this package "deal", yeah?

I saw this last night and yes it's a trap. You just need the the base game + collectors edition (which gives you the current expansion called Split Vendetta, AND whatever the next expansion is). If you JUST want Split Vendetta, then you can do the base game + Split Vendetta. What you have in your cart there would double buy Split Vendetta. They really should fix this, though I'm not even sure the steam checkout would process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thanks. It appears I have probably borked my save with aggressive modding and liberal cheat script usage.

I've unlocked the 3 tiers of weapon mod research, but only showing on the crafting bench are "basic" recipies. The second and third tiers show nothing.

Try doing the mods at a wharf of a faction you have 20+ reputation with.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
I keep reading things that state that building a single monolithic production facility is both inefficient and maybe even slows the game down. I'm doing the typical PHQ big facility, and was wondering if anyone had insight into how big a deal that really is.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Krogort posted:

I think the flux capacitor drop from khaak

They might drop from khaak but they definitely drop from xenon. They're just rare, if you want to farm for one, find a xenon station partially constructed in a friendly sector, if it's early on in it's construction, it won't fire back, but will constantly spawn xenon construction drones which can be easily destroyed for drops, including a chance for a flux capacitor.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, what are peoples' preferred capital- boarding ships? Since I assume I'd need at least 30-40 marines to comfortably seize a capital ship from SCA or HOP. Right now I can put 150 or so marines on my L-sized Icarararararatua freighter, but since it's painfully slow, it's not particularly practical.
Would a carrier or aux ship have a decent marine capacity, without being incredibly slow? Or am I gonna have to settle with using a couple of Minotaur Raiders?

The Incarcatura is actually pretty decent at boarding since it has such a huge crew compliment so you can more easily brute force board. The more expensive Shuyaku is a bit better since it's faster though.

I was actually able to somewhat engage with the X4 systems last night to board a Fallen Families pirate Rattlesnake destroyer. It was patrolling around a Paranid sector (disguised as a local faction ship as usual) and jumped on one of my miners (which quickly escaped) which is how I noticed it in the first place. To get it to show its pirate colors again (and slow to a stop) I shoved a bunch of valuable cargo into a transport and had it sit along the Rattlesnake's patrol route to act as bait while my Shuyaku loaded with marines waited in the wings and a Nova shadowed the Rattlesnake to maintain vision. Sure enough the Rattlesnake stopped next to my transport and ordered it to drop its cargo. The key was I didn't shoot at the Rattlesnake, I just ordered the max number or marines to board, set the boarding settings to "Very Strong" and just let em go. Yeah you had some losses (40-50 marines) but 200,000 credits worth of marine lives is a small price to pay for a fully kitted Rattlesnake.

Of course in true X4 fashion there was some jank, and a pretty big exploitable oversight I found in an earlier boarding I did, which is that if you board without firing shots, you can usually take an otherwise neutral ship with only temporary rep loss, but whatever.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve held off for a while now but am thinking of getting into this game. Is it in a good enough state to jump in?

Absolutely, still has some basic jank but that's to be expected with something this complex. It's in a good place as is, and you can tweak with mods once you get the basics down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Unimpressed posted:

I've just started getting into this game having bought it on release and putting it aside. I have a couple of questions:

Does it ever go on sale? I want to buy split vendetta and wondering if there's any point waiting.

What's a good personal ship like the M6s of old in X3?

Yes it does occasionally, maybe for the Steam winter sale but obviously not guaranteed

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=x4+foundation

"The Collectors Edition Content" will have the first two DLC's included (the second of which isn't out yet).