Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Boy I hope my computer can run this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

E:D's space trucking also has too much poo poo to do. Can't really look away or you'll probably miss your target.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hahahaha he's playing the wrong build. This looks loving sick though, I hope my poor i5-4590 can handle it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I didn't really follow Rebirth's launch incredibly closely. Did it look this good, or was it more evident that it would be a piece of poo poo?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seeing that EVA docking makes me really want to see a TM or another ship that can dock a fighter.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pre-ordered. I hope the amount of ships didn't suffer *too* much with the need to make interiors for all of them, but as long as there's a decent number I'll be satisfied.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

There was some development footage with a Colossus, so I'd assume that's in.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I can't wait to ride the space highways as a space trucker.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seeing some people complain about the NPCs, but it's not an x game if there's no incredibly cheesy sounding "EEHHHHHHHH" when I blow someone up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The freighters have such a good sense of scale.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Spaceweed and spacefuel spotted!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder where the small ships are. Kinda hoping for something super fast like the Kestrel.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder how automation is. Hoping you can get a Kestrel to drop satellites everywhere like in AP.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Orv posted:

I don't suppose anyone looked into who else got early copies? Maybe one of them won't take four hours to fly around and do a single mission. My lust for knowledge is insatiable.

I did a quick check on youtube, and it looks like the only other person who's put up a video is a russian guy, but he does seem to be more competent at the game.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's basically an unwritten rule that if someone gets access to a game early and streams it, they're gonna be terrible.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Angry Joe is streaming now

https://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, if Rebirth didn't sink Egosoft I doubt this will, considering it actually looks good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not really expecting a significant end-game threat like Litcube's, but I hope there's at least a fairly decent challenge for the massive fleet you've built up by the end of your playtime.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Since Jump Drives are out and you probably can't use SETA when you're not piloting, I hope capital ships have a decent travel speed.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

friendly 2 da void posted:

Everybody talks about how much fun building a fiddly space trading empire is in these games....but I feel like nobody ever talks about the combat or exploration. Is that because it's really bad, or is it just not the main reason most people play?

A more direct question: will this game be any fun if I have no interest in space spreadsheets and just want to fly around dogfighting, discovering cool new poo poo, and buying bigger ships/better weapons?

Combat is pretty passable, especially since most space games don't really fulfill the fighter squadron itch. Exploration seems to be more of a thing than in X3, too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

weird, because there's only one you need, and it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Actually the best one is already in the game, and it is the bear with the guitar.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Popete posted:

Are there dedicated mining ships? How does mining work? I didn't see it on the streams yesterday and I don't remember ever doing it in X3.

There are both gas mining ships and mineral mining ships, it looks like you need to use drones to collect what you mine. The guy on the Angry Joe stream was trying to do it, but couldn't figure it out - I'm guessing you need software for it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder if you can get small mining ships? I'd love to get a fleet of them on a freighter.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Popete posted:

Want to get that carrier ship that has 40 hangers and strip mine the entire galaxy.

The Teladi freighter has 40 internal storage and 2 hangars, so now I'm just imagining a constantly cycling mining fleet going in and out and strip mining an entire field.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Obsidian Ant got the PHQ.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

One of the Teladi freighters I saw had 2 hangars, but an internal storage of 40 S ships, so I'm fairly certain they cycle the ships into internal storage and it can hold that many.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

4GB 970 GTX/i5 4670k and 24GB RAM here, I'll let you know

I'm at an R9 280x and i5-4590 with 8GB RAM, so I will also be posting performance impressions.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's out!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Man, riding the space highway is fun. I just got up from my chair and watched it go for about ten minutes.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Found a data vault and came into a windfall.. now do I spend the money on a mining ship, or a trading ship?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I bought a trading ship, but the "AutoTrade" order seems greyed out. Also, I can't figure out how to sell my starting ship.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I also assume you need to hire a pilot? Basing that on just the fact that AI pilots are hireable.

I do have a pilot, it wouldn't let me buy the ship without one. I also can't figure out how to fire him.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I can't figure out how to fire my teladi captain, so I am just standing over his shoulder and being a micromanaging rear end in a top hat.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Try ship information > crew information > full crew list > select the person > comm them > more > fire

Real pain and there's probably a better way to do it but that seems like it might work?

AFAIK though there's no reason to want to get rid of the pilot given that it's required to give the ship remote orders.

Oh poo poo, that worked.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Danith posted:

So how are you guys starting out? Just flying around and doing things? I did a couple tutorials and now just sorta lost as I don't see any missions around and I only have 10k credits, a crappy ship and nothing else

Make sure you use your long range scanner. I found a data vault that netted me 250k, then used that to buy a trading ship.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TheTrend posted:

Anyone know if there are built in equilencies for EST/UST MARS and CODEA?

There's an AutoTrade function, but you need a pilot to be level 3 to do it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Level 3 to start sector trading?

As far as I can tell.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I really want to know how to sell ships, I want to swap this elite for a magpie miner.

Go into the map, select the ship you want to sell, then right click on a shipyard/wharf.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope it doesn't take pilots too long to level up, I want to see how AutoTrader works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Oh my god this game is so loving frustrating.
My enjoyment would go up approximately 1000% if the map was usable. As it is right now it is completely covered by huge "menus" or something for each station in the system. I need to zoom in really really far to be able to see anything. Please tell me there is a way to disable these things?

Also I picked up some contraband after killing pirates but I can't find any way to dump/eject them because they are crafting ingredients so they don't count as cargo but the police scan detects them and they yell at me to dump my contraband and get angry.
Some tutorials are very broken, the 3rd and 4th ones I had to re-load the game to be able to proceed. The 3rd didn't spawn the signal source the first time and for the 4th one the game never spawned a trader inside the station.

The game also randomly activates missions that you have inactivated making your target switch and the autopilot is completely hosed, my ship just drifts to the right when activating it, it never goes towards my selected target.

In the map, hit "filter settings", and then with "trade filters" selected, hit the power button on the left of the window to turn off the pricing menus.