Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

gently caress I just sprang the $80 for the collector's edition. Even if the game takes time to reach its full potential, this is like the one developer and the one time in the history where buying in early to give support actually makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

The one thing really holding the game back for me right now is a functional set-it-and-forget-it auto-explore. Manually setting 30 fly to orders for a scout to map out a single sector became way too tedious, letting alone doing that for a handful of scouts at to try to speed up the process.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

You need to put a satellite by the teladi trading station in Ianamus Zura, that's where all my nividium miners go to sell.

It's really helpful here to get a sweep of the whole galaxy and place satellites around every trade station that exists. You can squeeze several 10s of millions of credits out of them in pretty short order, but it will still dry up and leave your miners stranded and confused like he described.

At that point I switch them to mine everything except nividium, but I think the economy as a whole will still stall out if nobody is sinking wares into building ships. I guess you can create demand by building your own war fleet, but there's nobody to play with unless you turn on somebody.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Split capital ships were my favorite aesthetically, so I'd love to see them make a return to form here. I wouldn't be surprised if the other races are planned for DLC.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Naturally Selected posted:

Could you be thinking of the Centaur/heavy centaur? They were the battleship-looking swoopy ones (and some of my favorite ships, at least till Xtended and the Normandy mods came out )

E: Just goddamn X3/TC/AP had such better looking ships Can't wait for all that to be modded in instead of the nonsense we have now. Xtended: foundations better be a thing and it will be

Hell yes. The Heavy Centaur was the best for personally cruising around and loving people up in style. Especially if you could find and capture the prototype version which was 1.5x as fast as the normal purchasable one.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Is there any easy way to tell ships to supply a station you don't own? The closest I've found is to use the import wares to sector command and filter down the wares list to only what the specific station needs (e.g. engine parts which the Paranid wharf seems chronically short on). Paring down the wares list manually like this is an assload of clicking for every single ship you want to do this for.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Also copying configuration of current orders in the behavior tab would be nice too.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

quote:

Added option to undock and abort ship upgrades that are waiting for resources.

I hope this fixes my nemesis which is currently completely stuck at a wharf trying to sell an extra advanced satellite. The game won't even let me kick the captain out of the pilot's chair or fire him.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Does "low attention" mean out of sector or is it some kind of in between state for in sector but far away?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

There's also a handy mod that makes the crystals glow if it doesn't feel too cheaty to you. Still requires a fair bit of flying around to spot the things, but less tedious than it otherwise would be.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I just dipped my toes back into the game last night for the first time since launch and the explore command was bugged for me too.

Unrelated, what's the recommended way to get started building up a station for passive income? I've got the process of mine crystals -> set up nvidium sector miners down pat, but an L miner fills up a given trade station basically immediately.

I think I read that hull parts are lucrative due to their short supply and key place in ship building. Do I basically just set down a factory for those and progressively fill in production modules for the inputs until I'm supplying all my own raw materials?

Relatedly, is there anything really important to know in terms of station design and fine tuning things for best results? Or is it pretty intuitive and straightforward once you start plonking modules down and browsing the menu options?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

With a few mods installed this game really does get cool.

What faction/war related mods besides VRO are you using?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Further adventures in mods that are sort of cheaty but excellent for quality of life: signal link hunter is wonderful and still works perfectly in the latest version despite not being updated since the game's release. It won't guarantee any given station spawns with the leaks you want, but when it does you will have absolutely zero fuss finding it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

It's a really good question why they discarded so many ship assets for X4. How do these XR ships handle cockpits, eva, boarding/disembarking while docked, etc.?

I have hunch it's because they wanted a consistent experience going full out with the cockpits and space legs. Though it's curious because even the cockpits are faked (as in not part of the external ship model) on many/all of the L and XL ships.

A public post-mortem on X4's dev would be really interesting. They clearly made a lot of compromises on content, and I think it was in the interest of being able to achieve all of the major technology improvements that really separate the game from previous ones.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I am glad they prioritized development the way they did because the spectacle of it all is quite a step beyond any other open world space game I know of.

It also really lets you take in the scale of things. Standing on one of the 6Sx3M docking pads (the ones that are a fully open platform) and realizing that just the small horizontal connector module it's linked to looks by itself larger than any man made object on earth is nothing short of amazing.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I do really wish they had more walkable platforms, not too many but just something that gave you more reason to get that sense of scale. Again egosoft where is my office module I can put on my megabase so I can lord over all I survey.

Over the weekend my initial foray into station building spiraled immediately into hours spent designing literal prestige projects that would make Dubai's civic planners blush. The Split's 3-way cross module is absolutely wonderful for creating all kinds of interesting station geometry (less so for packing production modules together as efficiently as possible).

Tying back to the previous topic, it appears that windowed station offices are also simulated the same way that L and XL ship cockpits are. I wanted to go spying on Boso Ta to see what he's really up to while I'm not around, but alas.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Has anyone figured out a solution to the problem of stations not supplying their build storage from their own regular storage, even if they have build storage traders assigned? My best workaround so far is to keep a Shuyaku parked nearby and manually ordering it to transfer a bunch of stuff over every time I add new modules to the build plan.

If there was a way to get the station to do this automatically that would make the early bootstrapping process for a mega complex so much less annoying to manage.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

What's the best way to utilize turrets on a corvette like the dragon with vanilla weapons? None of the options seem to contribute much of anything, especially compared to the six tau accelerators spitting hot death out the front. I'm also not so interested in spending ages wearing down a Xenon K by myself, otherwise I'm might stick with plasma for the sake of maximizing DPS.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Faction Enhancer stuff

FYI I was looking into this further just now and according to a recent post in the thread on the Egosoft forums the bug is fixed now and it's safe to use the catch up mod again.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They did remove collision damage to hull and add in a sound clip that plays if the autopilot crashes you into something at high speed

I almost didn't believe my ears the first time this one triggered for me. Egosoft isn't afraid to let some pretty quirky humor leak into their games. Boso Ta also drops a DBZ Abridged reference of all things at a certain point in his quest line if you loiter about for long enough.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Stopped by the trader station to unload some junk and noticed I had accumulated enough spacefly eggs to make 7 caviars. It was like finding a $20 bill in my space couch.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Something that didn't occur to me until I started fighting off the SCA is that the Xenon K is actually an XL ship and is head and shoulders above other destroyers. I can comfortably solo conventional destroyers in my hotrodded dragon, but those K's are mean with their large turret coverage and insane shield regen.

Has anyone tried using shield piercing guns on a corvette to whittle down the main shield generators and get through faster that way?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I've found the highways can become annoying for two reasons:

1. When your travel speed is high enough you'll clip straight through them when trying to get on.

2. With engine and chassis mods your max travel speed will become high enough that it's faster not to use the highway, but the guidance system will still direct you towards it which can make finding your next gate confusing in some sectors.

That said, the highway provides a nice boost in travel efficiency for medium traders and an easy escape route if any of those core sectors become hot. But it's to personal taste. Maybe you like having to deal with the two Xenon K's and an I camping in Hatikvah's Choice.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I actually had a game where the Split took a solid hold of Tharka's Cascade XV from the Xenon. I somewhat regret restarting instead of waiting to see if they'd continue their push into Hatikvah's. The Argon can't catch a break!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I am absolutely thrilled to find out that Xenon P's are slow and lazy enough for me to tag them with my new rattlesnake's main guns.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

For ore I believe Family Zhin is the sector you're looking for. IIRC the last time I set up a station there my gas miners were going next door to another sector, but it's not an issue for them to do that

timn
Mar 16, 2010

You can also just reduce station build times with modding if it feels too slow for your tastes.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Questions about player wharfs/shipyards:

1. Will factions buy any ships from you or only those of their own design? I.e. is buying a faction's blueprints a requirement to sell ships back to them?

2. How does geographic distance factor into who buys ships from you? The buy order is presumably not tied to any specific ship or station.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Garfu posted:

Are there any mods that add ship component content and/or is it decently easy to create that type of mod? I'd like to eventually be able to add some very expensive but very overpowered mods to ships endgame style.

This might be an incredibly stupid question... As I haven't started playing the game yet. It was fun to do that in X3AP tho with some of the mods.

The ship mods in X4 are pretty ridiculously powerful as-is imo. They're also relatively rare and difficult to acquire the components for. They work well as a means to hotrod the bejesus out of your personal getting-poo poo-done craft or the flagship of your combat fleet.

Two game mods I like which make ship mods nicer to work with:

Equipment upgrades without RNG
In vanilla, applying a ship mod gives you randomly rolled stats. This mod makes them static.

Crafted Mod Components
Lets you craft rarer ship mod components from more common ones. Makes it feasible to acquire advanced and exceptional mod components without being gated really hard by RNG, but it doesn't make things too easy either.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Garfu posted:

Where's the central modding repository? Workshop, Nexus, or forum? Or just all combined

The Egosoft forum is a good place to start because they'll generally list all places a mod can be found. However not everything is listed on the forum. Also for mods listed in multiple places you should cross-reference each place to make sure you've got the most up to date version. I got bit once because the mod author neglected to update every place their mod was listed.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I think that mule mod may help me ferrying about hull parts. Does anyone have any experience using it?

It works but can get kind of buggy and confusing. If you just use the supply mule option and pick player stations only it will mostly work as desired. However:

1. Don't use the option to assign the ship to a specific station. It eventually causes them to get stuck in a loop rapidly changing their orders many times a second. You'll know this has happened because your game turns into a slideshow no matter where in the galaxy you are.

2. By default the supply mules whitelist all wares, but I've found they ignore energy cells unless I manually remove and readd them from the list.

3. If you don't pick the player stations only option, I've found they'll buy from NPC stations instead of your own mostly. I think it's because they're checking prices instead of treating your own stuff as free, which kind of makes sense if you take it as the opportunity cost of not selling your stuff to an NPC instead.

Also, if you let them trade with NPC stations I've found they're far better at finding deals than the vanilla build storage traders are. I have a suspicion that they somehow cheat or take liberties with trade data, but I'm just guessing there.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I've spent a lot of time in both Dragon variants in vanilla (i.e. no VRO). Both are cool, but as mentioned once modded the Raider becomes impossibly fast compared to everything else in the game and as agile as most scouts to boot.

For weapons I recommend tau accelerators, which are the Split version of the shard cannon. Unmodded they will still shred any S or M ship in a couple of seconds, which is perfect for the crazy hit and run style of dogfighting you'll be doing. With mods you can tear apart a Xenon P in about a single second while strafing by at 1400 m/s and then power sliding to your next victim in complete disregard for physics or any sense of the word 'sim' in "space sim". It's legitimately a rush once you get a handle on everything.

And yeah there's also the comedy option of the 6x Split railgun loadout. You can delete a Xenon P once every minute or so and that's about it. Pretty funny for 10 minutes, but the cooldown is way too long for any real use.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I played with the thermal disintegrators a little bit and honestly I think their overall damage output is way too low compared to going all in on the tau accelerators. Even against destroyers, the turrets and other sub components don't have very strong shields anyway, and destroyers that aren't the Xenon K aren't that tanky overall either. What you sacrifice in overall damage output is much more than what you gain with the shield penetration imo.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

As a general rule, the impermeability of solid matter in this game becomes increasingly negotiable the faster you're moving and the smaller you are.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Obviously so that they could include the cheeky voice bit when it pinballs you around an asteroid field.

Ideally there would be some kind of panic system where the autopilot realizes it's stuck and temporarily disables collision to rescue itself. In fact I'm not 100% convinced such a thing doesn't already exist, but the way the game is it's hard to tell if a temporary lapse in corporeality was intentional or not.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Hey as long as it keeps you moving and out of reach of hostiles and police scans.

Which reminds me of a fun early game trick. Buy the cheapest bare minimum ship you can and give it a fly to order that will take it on the main highway loop. Once it's on the loop, cancel the order and the ship will ride around in circles forever, continually refreshing trade data on the nearby stations in all of those core sectors.

Make sure to give the ARG-Nascar a go fast paint job while you're at it. My favorite is the canary yellow.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

So what you're saying is if I alt-tab away which caps the FPS to something like 5 while traveling at 20k m/s in my riced out pegasus vanguard, I should be able to clip straight through any object up to 4 kilometers long.

Edit:

OwlFancier posted:

I've watched several lasertowers whiz past on the highway loop, I really would like to see if it can be done with a satellite.

Does raise the question of who has to occasionally flush the drat thing of like, lasertowers, the odd mine, ships where the pilot had a heart attack, small rocks.

I had to test this because I wanted it to be true. Unfortunately, satellites, nav beacons, resource probes, and mines just clip straight through the highway if you drop one and then boop it forwards with your ship. Laser towers seem fixed in place and will not budge no matter how hard you ram them, but if you initially drop it close enough to the highway belt it will get sucked in and start making the rounds.

The upshot is that laser towers do have vision on the map, as wide as a ship's. So if you want to save a few credits it will work at the cost of any prospect of retrieval becoming much more interesting.

timn fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 28, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I feel that the available key mappings in this game are just nowhere near robust enough to really support a joystick/HOTAS well. There's just too much in this game that's far easier to do with a mouse instead. It's quite the opposite of Elite's totally comprehensive control binding options.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

You just need to think like a Teladi. That's a great opportunity to quickly boost your rep up to 20+ by blowing up the ample supply of Xenon fighters roaming their sectors. Once you hit 20 rep you can nab their trade subscription license which means more profitssss.

You're going to want to work on increasing rep with another faction anyway because Teladi combat ships are pretty underwhelming. Once you've got some sweet military hardware you can take a more serious look at helping them take back any lost sectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

The game has a pretty steep learning curve all things considered, but that's what we're here for.

As far as mods are concerned, I suggest going in vanilla and figuring out from experience what you do or don't want to change. I wouldn't consider any mods out there to be essential no-brainers, but there is a lot you can do to improve the game to your personal taste once you've come to grips with things.

Edit: Though I should add that X4 is much better about tutorials and helping you understand what goals to set for yourself early on than prior entries are. The learning curve is more about coming to grips with the many little nuances that crop up as you dig deeper into different parts of the game.

timn fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 30, 2020