Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
I bought a large gas miner but it seems like it leaves its drones behind when it moves systems. Anyone else seeing that?

Also, how can I tell which stations refine what mined minerals/gas and if a large or extra large ship can dock at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The map has a legend button in the top right to explain the clusterfuck that is the map UI.

Took me ages to figure out how to turn off the market data that kept filling my whole screen.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

NeurosisHead posted:

I've got a good steady income from half a dozen each galaxy traders, silicon miners, and methane miners. I'd like to branch out into station building next. Any tips? Do I need to buy blueprints from a faction, hire a builder, then send them to my build site like in previous games or is the workflow a little different this time?

Yes, yes, and no. Do the main story or the station building tutorial or both. The builder comes to you once you hire them in the "manage build" menu.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

quote:

Improved accuracy of turrets and gimballed weapons.

Can anyone comment if this means that turrets actually work now?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Started a new campaign last night for 1.3

-Xenos attacked me in the starting system and they hurt...a lot.
-I discovered early on that magnetic mines are a thing and it was a painful lesson
-Xeno and Kha'aak (however you spell that) are openly fighting each other in a couple systems I traveled through
-Massive xeno attacks on a station (two capitals and a support fleet) fighting an argon fleet
-Pirate attacked me while I was flying between stations so I shot them a bunch, they bailed out and I stole their ship.

This all happened to me in 2 hours. It's like a completely different game now.

Haven't noticed an impact in performance

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

a mysterious cloak posted:

Finally found a shipyard and bought a second ship. Got the magpie because I'll likely be doing mining.

Ship is FAT.

That is insensitive. The correct word is "thicc"

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think I'd read on the official forums from some people digging into the scripts that Kha'ak don't actually need resources or shipyards - they just cheat and spawn them in. They probably do it at a fixed rate though, so it's easy for the main factions to outpace them.

Hopefully someone makes a mod to increase spawn rate because I can't mod for poo poo.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I can't download the unpacking tool from the egosoft site.

https://www.egosoft.com/download/x_rebirth/bonus_en.php?download=589

Keep getting access denied even though I'm logged in. Can anyone else get to it?

Edit: I'm dumb. Had to link my steam account.

xanif fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 9, 2018

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

I bought the blueprints for a Teladi Engine Parts factory thinking it would need Telandiunium but actually needs something called "Refined Metals". I can see that the Refined Goods factories sell this but how can I make my own, I can't find any blueprint for this factory. Does anyone know how to make your own Refined Metals?

Posting from the past

Telandiunium and ore can be used interchangeably to make refined metals.

https://www.yekbot.com/x4-foundations-production-chain-guide/

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Imaginary Friend posted:

Wares are not illegal in all sectors. I think it states which ones is bad where in the description.

In the encyclopedia. Yea.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Guy on the forums made a mod to increase war in the galaxy.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=403357

Haven't tried but I plan to tonight after seeing screenshots.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

timn posted:

Is there any easy way to tell ships to supply a station you don't own? The closest I've found is to use the import wares to sector command and filter down the wares list to only what the specific station needs (e.g. engine parts which the Paranid wharf seems chronically short on). Paring down the wares list manually like this is an assload of clicking for every single ship you want to do this for.

I run my trade ships, that don't have a high enough level captain to autotrade, to distribute wares. Hull parts and engine parts mostly. All the shipyards in my game are functional with just 3 10k storage haulers running around to fill the gaps that the AI don't consistently take care of.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Section Z posted:

Even ignoring the whole subject of "Players should(?) compensate for the failing economy". It would be nice if the encyclopedia entries for materials like Hull parts and Claytronics outright said "Oh, these are required for ship/station building, Specifically"

Particularly with opening demonstration of the economy. You get to things like claytronics. With no "Used to craft X", and a generic yet promising flavor text of "It can be used for drat near everything but the hull of a station! It's SUPER important and ALWAYS in demand!"

In my launch save the only thing demonstrated by Claytronics was that nobody was buying it despite it being one of the most expensive production module blueprints. Except for the usual example of "3 dot buy/sell!... Haha gotcha, it's just the trade stations stockpiling it for average price again!". Not even a warning that only displays when you try to go shopping like a Wharf low on hull parts. The gradual patches of the economy should help there, but it is still a situation of "Well, if you ALREADY knew-"

On the subject of economy. While sort by volume is a very useful filter, and will be more so when you start building a station mega empire and want to source a ton of materials ASAP (even more so if/when we get player owned shipyards). So far it's mostly been false positives in trying to find good prices. Between the rocky economy where argon cow factories are either not selling anything (But some HAT free port is), or 1 dot sales with overpriced meat because they can barely keep the factory running.

At least ships definitely have distinct speed profiles before you account for some of the crazy crafted mods shown off in the thread. Teladi and Argon Small ships even given Paranid engines, are mostly going to be slower than a Paranid with some MK2 whatever engines.

The Kestral Scout is slower than a Paranid MINER equipped with bargain mk2 engines. "No, gently caress you. THREE engines on the Mining ship or we execute you for heresy!"

Production flowchart:

There are tons of those floating around. That's not the one I used but it was the first in my google search results and I'm not at home to pull up the bookmark I use but it's almost identical (content wise it's identical, it just differs in aesthetic presentation).

I really like that I can make money off of trading in this game. Especially shipping around parts for war. I like being an arms dealer; it's essentially free money to just set a decent sized cargo ship to move engine/hull parts around. I installed the conquest and war mod so shipyards are going crazy pumping out destroyers right now.

People on reddit/x4 forums said they were making bank off of claytronics but I ran the numbers and it's only like 2m per hour (revenue, not profit) in my game to run that plant for a resource that is not consumed. I haven't seen any NPC station building in game so I'm not sure what the point is.

If you scan the modules on a station, more specifically the storage containers, you can see exactly what materials they are low on and what they need. It will also tell you in the ship purchase/upgrade screen exactly which parts are missing for your ship. Stations can buy more than just the three things the market filter says its buying.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

NPCs build buckets of stations and they're useful for making your own too.

Really...mine haven't. Claytronics has been a stagnant market for me. Maybe once the xeno's start blowing stuff up the market will move. For now, hull parts and engine parts are my milk and honey.

I can see how they're useful to myself but I'm not dropping 12m on a claytronics factory when there are much cheaper modules with much better margins. Maybe when I'm drowning in credits.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

They should generally start doing it just to expand their economies.

Given how expensive they are a 12m factory would pay for itself quite quickly in station costs.

Not in my game. Not sure why. Ran the numbers with the active claytronics orders and found it was 2m/hr in revenue. If I see the price go up I'll chase it but for now, nah.

Section Z posted:

That's was kind of the point. Basic industry in a space industry game (run from the view of your cockpit) should not have any elements you need to look up a chart for :v:

I disagree. I like complex economies like this but it might not be for everyone.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Koorisch posted:

So how is this game anyways?

Was thinking of maybe buying it since I felt i needed a space-sim/empire builder in my life but I don't know yet what the goon general verdict on it is.

It's a work in progress. The game breaking stuff has been fixed and some mods can add more war if you want it but 1.5 is set to drop before Christmas with 2.0 Q1 2019.

My verdict? I really like it, but it definitely felt like it was an early access game for the first week and is only now becoming a fully fledged game.

If you're luke warm on the whole thing I'd wait to see what 1.5 brings.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The best way to get decent managers is to yank your captain off the trade ships that you should be running to gain rep. Trading gives management xp to captains.

X4 talk: Has anyone found out any reason to use any destroyer other than the paranid one? ARG destroyer is more maneuverable and much tankier but give up 4 turret slots and the medium hangar bay to do it. Same with the TEL destroyer. No medium landing pad, less maneuverable than paranid, fewer turrets with a poor layout.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

concise posted:

Also, is there a good way to copy orders between ships?

Not quite sure what you're asking. If you hold shift and left click you can select multiple ships, is that not what you're looking for?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

quote:

Fixed Assassination missions selecting player-owned NPC's as mission-target.

Bullshit. They knew the risks when they took the job. Game sucks.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Please give more details about these rep routes

Go to a par wharf. Get the single seat scout with 3 engines and one fixed hard point (forget the name of the ship). Slap some travel engines on it and right click anywhere on the map and select auto-trade galaxy.

You now have a "trade" ship that travels at 6 km/s with a fairly cheap fit. It looks like it's just the number of transactions that affect rep rather than quantity of goods.

Spread these across the galaxy (send one to ARG, one to PAR, one to MIN, etc) before you set autotrade in order to gain rep with all factions. It seems to base out of whatever system you issued the auto-trade command in so you can maximize your rep with all factions.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So I built a station that churns out engine parts. I set my freighter to trade for the station and it decided to only take 46 engine parts despite there being 900 available.

Is anyone else having issues getting their trade ships to be not dumb when interacting with your station?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

Ships can only trade point-to-point, they can't just load up and then go and sell to several stations. I hope they fix this in an update, I believe the X3 traders could sell to several systems.

Ok but every wharf in the game (except for ARG) is out of engine parts. Like...open orders for 1400 parts at multiple stations and my freighter decided "46 seems like a good number." No idea why.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

It was probably the first/closest trade it could find. It really sucks when you finally buy an L freighter and the first thing it does is go to your megafactory and pick up 20 energy cells...

Will it eventually stop being dumb af or do I need to do every freighter run manually? I spent 2 hours last night just watching my transport ships move around to understand what they're doing.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Someone is working on a mod to make the X4 universe more like the X3 universe: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=406274

So far...

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like NPCs would probably just use their own construction ships when they want to build a station because... why wouldn't they? The game doesn't really have any independent traders flying around like the player, so anyone that wants to build a station probably already has their own fleet. I'm not sure how frequently the AI chooses to build new stations anyway. The "search for build jobs" order might only exist because the AI uses it to offer ships to hire for the player.

Well, I installed the X3 map mod and the war/conquest mod and I can say yes, they do use their own builders. I say this because every time I checked to hire a building for my station there were about 20 construction ships available and all of them were busy.

I eventually tried making my own builder and it took forever. The shipyards kept pumping out freighters/miners because they are L hulls that take less resources than my XL hull. I eventually had to spend the better part of 5 hours making M traders and running engine parts to the shipyard my builder was queued at until eventually the build queue was fully saturated and my builder built.

The factions are going crazy pumping out new stations and PAR has already taken one neutral sector. I'm hoping xeno's expand as well. I installed a mod to increase their damage output significantly and buff their shield regen. Still very early in the game so I'm interested to see where it goes.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Slickdrac posted:

So...might be some issues remaining with shipyards/wharfs supply still. Started a new game (Argon one since it seems least buggy), and before I even finished going to upgrade the ship with a T2 docking module, it was already short on parts.

Neutral wharfs/shipyard seem to have less strain on their parts usage. They are useful for building medium haulers to move parts around to keep ships building.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FrickenMoron posted:

I feel like the Xenon haven't thought this out too well. They keep sending their mining ships into paranid territory.

Maybe they have a ton of those ships and losing another one is just a...miner inconvenience.

(I'm loving hilarious)

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FrickenMoron posted:

Since the update killed autotraders at below 3 stars: How do i go about procuring a 3 star pilot? Just buying a bunch of scoutships with a pilot and hope i get a good one and then swap em?

Honestly, I've had good luck promptly firing the pilot as soon as the ship is built and then promote the most qualified crewman to pilot.

More often than not, the guy that replaces the pilot I fired is 3 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

The paranid have objectively the best ship designs but I do like the teladi capital bridge because it's very spacious.

Debatable for small and medium hulls, objectively true for destroyers. I have no idea what they were thinking making the PAR destroyer so much more powerful than any of the others. You trade off 5 turret slots and a medium landing pad for an additional shield generator? gently caress off egosoft.

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing they're used for AFAIK is building stations so I guess it depends how many stations people are building.

But you would have plenty of use for them yourself so it might be worth making them anyway. They cost a fortune to buy.

On a related note, is there a command you can give to make your ships distribute station parts to your stations in need? I tried the distribute wares one but it didn't seem to do anything.

I just right click on my station and assign traders to trade for the station but I've been having issues with it not behaving as I would like it (namely, not shipping out the crazy number of engine parts I'm pushing out).