Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anything critical I should know for the old X3 games? I've only got about half an hour in-game thus far, most of it spent configuring my gamepad and repeatedly ramming my body into the side of my ship trying to figure out how to re-enter it. (re-enter command is in a menu. everything in this game is nested inside a menu somewhere apparently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Playing X3 with a gamepad sounds awful. There are a lot of fiddly menus. If you use a keyboard and mouse you'll learn a lot of the shortcuts though, which speed things up. If I remember correctly, the shortcut for entering a ship is shift-e.

I've got a mouse and keyboard handy for anything that can't (or isn't worth the time spent) configuring for xpadder. Really though, I just wanted to use the controller because that's what I'm used to using for flight in games. Not sure if I'll stick with it since I can already see a significant portion of my time will be spent in autopilot or fiddling with menus.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So the hilariously timed new X3 expansion (3 weeks after X4's expansion what) got me thinking and I realized I still have no loving clue what's going on in the plot. Got the kind of insane idea to run through all the games in order starting with X3. Granted, I know the plot is basically a collection of janky side-quests that are bugged to some degree, but still.

Is there a mod that ports X3:Reunion's campaign to a later version? I'd like to play through it, but Reunion is just a miserable experience in terms of UI and QoL features after playing the later entries.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Unfortunately no; though if you do go with X3:R I recommend using the mod I posted a few pages earlier.

Also you might end up even more confused about what's going than before, since the X3 plot expects you to know what happened in X and X2. IMO it's worth giving it a go of playing all the games in order, even X:BtF is fairly playable and it should only take maybe 30-40 hours to run through the first two games (including x-tension, which is essentially the second half of X:BtF). In particular X:BtF can be easily finished in less than 10 hours even on a first playthrough, and it's a great introduction to the universe. At least playing the intro can be very helpful in that respect.

Yeah, I tried using the X-Tended mod back when I first played X3:R. It added some cool poo poo but something messed up and all AI traffic started disappearing and the economy crashed due to lack of traders.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pretty sure it was 7.5. After a lot of googling and old forum posts, I did find some other folks with the same issue. There was some speculation that it had something to do with a sector that wasnít fully implemented in the last version of the mod- ships would spawn or jump there and never leave. Or maybe I had some obscure mod conflict. Hard to tell when a bunch of the fan sites are dead and half of those remaining are in German.

I never did find the hell sector if it even existed, but Iím sure it would have been quite a sight

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I decided to see how the storyline (such as it is) progresses in the run-up to the new X3 expansion. Having already played X3 TC once, I decided to add one of those mega-mods, XRM.

It's actually pretty well done for the most part - some interesting new sectors, a bunch of new ships and corporations. The AI is a fair bit more aggressive, so it is no longer a rarity to see Xenon or Cock capitals attacking core sectors. This is balanced out for the most part by the races also having quite a bit more firepower. There's apparently a bunch of balance changes to weapons and ships, I honestly can't tell the difference.

The one big and good change is that there's an effective bounty system. This is great because its actually possible to make decent money in combat now. It feels good to take out a Xenon m6 that's been beasting freighters OOS for ages and get a nice big reward for it. Before, doing a combat oriented playthrough was pretty risky - if I did too much combat and neglected trading/factories, my combat rank would start spawning capitals in missions before I had the cash to outfit my own chonky boi ship.

Then there's the dumb part. For *realism* (I guess), docking computers and jumpdrives are now size XL and cost a cool 2 mil each. This is an utter pain in the arse, since it means the majority of the early game is spent slowly trundling around in SETA, and the cost of getting a UT or CAG up and running is basically doubled. It's still possible to build a trading empire but getting the ball rolling takes a long time.

It also makes the TP class totally redundant, since their only advantage was speed and they don't even have that without jump drives

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm dying here. Was this a kid's show?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol bounce isn't in the game

Nooooo

Good memories of feeling like king poo poo after repairing two lovely m5's, adding them as wingmen and then watching them kamikaze into a trading station the first time I tried to dock.

My mission to play through the X3 iterations in preparation for Farnham's got delayed after I figured out how to edit to use the editor to gently caress with spawn settings though. Hopefully someone mods bounce in soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The economy in X3TC and AP is pretty much held together with a shoestring, Iím not surprised itís crashing in FL.

I usually end up parking ships in the most convenient satellite and missile factories so they donít disappear 10 hours into a game.