Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Owlfancier do you have something I can subscribe to because you show up in the threads of all the games I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That whole easter egg hunt system for data nodes is really weird but seems important for unlocks. Saw a streamer chase a red light and get the blueprint to build a defense platform.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want a game type where you start with literally nothing but a small busted up mining ship in an empty galaxy and you have to scavenge everything to get a small industrial base up. You recruit pilots and other dudes by finding cryo pods floating through space like coffins and unravel the story behind the collapse.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bought it on the sale and been mucking about with it. Stations are gorgeous and it’s definitely got the classic X feel, but holy poo poo the UI is a hot garbage fire I just can’t deal with it.

There are so many clicks required to do basic functions and it looks terrible, it’s a mess.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think they just need to add populations to stations that have various goods upkeep requirements. That’ll give you constant drains on various consumer goods.

As for stuff to do. It’d be great if the game had various sectors just teeming with hostiles and there’s a faction campaign to clear it out and claim the resources there. Even better if the starting layout of your game has a lack of these resources and you need those sectors to shore up the economy in the long term.

Edit: in fact, something I’d like from the X series is a dead galaxy start. You wake up in a broken down ship and there’s nothing in the galaxy besides ruins. You scout around, repair and salvage whatever derelicts you can find and kickstart various factions back online through quests. That would be aces.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I bet its a pacing thing. Don't forget these are oldschool developers with weird hangups about what constitutes good gameplay.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there no way to check what resources a shipyard is missing? I tried simulating a ship buy but it doesn’t list any resources missing for my ships in queue. There’s 5 unknown ships in the queue which is what I assume is holding up production. If I undock I can see a few shield construction sites on the wharf section so I’m bringing more shield components but it seems really stupid I can’t get a quick overview.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Good lord these devs need to just stop doing anything that isn't directly space ship and trade empire related. I'm touring through the Torus on the lab assistant start and it's been a loving mess since the beginning. The game gives you a cover identity so you can pass through Terran space but the voice actors all act like they're getting weird readings and you are actually invisible. Then you get to the thing and you have to shoot switches with your laser and repair tool to open doors.

Now I know what they're going for here, they want the inside of the Torus to be creepy but it doesn't work at all because it is extremely bright and there are zero hazards besides long corridors. It's just poorly designed tripe and as I move slowly (with the loving space suit) through a bunch of corridors, I open the main door to let the ship through. So what do I do? I fly through the now open door and what happens? Apparently that big steam just instantly murders you in the suit and you had to take the loving corridors back to your ship. God it pisses me off how little effort they put into these things they insist on having in the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've slowly been expanding my empire but it's mostly a passive process as I'm playing on my laptop atm so I spend most of my time at the HQ directing my limited empire from my office. I have a net worth of 5ish million, a few miners and two trading ships. One is selling silicon wafers from Grand Exchange and the other one is tooling around Terran space getting my reputation up, so I have a decent passive income.

I'm trying to get the research done for scanning modules so I can start building stuff and it's mostly going OK. I'm finding the economy game very relaxing even if I can barely run it here but hopefully I can take off a bit when I get my desktop back.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I can’t figure out how to automate research bug orders. I assigned a ship as a trader and I have spare storage and money in the stations budget but it’s just sitting in dock. Does the ship I assigned need a 3 star captain?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I found an Osprey Vanguard floating in space so I stuck some turrets on it and some big looking guns on the front and sailed into a xenon sector and picked a fight with a destroyer.

I think I did 3% shield damage and then I got absolutely wrecked, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What do people fly generally? I’ve never across all the X games flown bigger than an M but I have an Eclipse and an Osprey. I’m really mad at the lack of tooltips on the shipyard screen because I don’t know what any of the guns do and there’s a weird lack of guides that tell you what makes for good load outs.

I want to start boarding SCA ships to make my fortune but I’m not sure how to go about it. My eclipse can only carry 5 marines.