Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Credit where it's due, Elite Dangerous has a few issues but its sound design is absolutely on point.

X4 could use some more sound design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is a cool touch.

The football never stops.

Nor the tennis, apparently.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I got myself stuck in an asteroid while Crystal mining. Easier than you think.

I had to shoot it until it went boom.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Travic posted:

I think I've reached the point in the game where I know ships are being built at places other than my Wharf.

And that's not ok.

They can't build ships at wharfs that aren't yours...

If you have the only wharf.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've installed two mods for Crystals, one that reverts their spawning to near release, and one that makes asteroids with crystals on them glow rather obviously.

Just the glow mod made it obvious that there are a lot more crystals than you think. Just nearly all of them are cheap purple ones.

I can endure the grind but I don't got all day anymore.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

One of the things I'd like in this game is an exploration feature. Gear up a fleet and head off into the unknown for riches and discovery.

Weirdly enough Farnham's Legacy appears to be doing something with exploration, so maybe if it comes off well they'll expand it into X4 as well.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'm having fun with my new Terran save, got four stations up and running (the requisite Mercury solar power plant, another one in Brennan's Triumph, a microlattice factory in the Asteroid Belt and a silicon carbide factory in Mars). Plus the PHQ in Grand Exchange (though I think in the long run I'll teleport it to Earth, more for roleplay purposes than anything else)

Just trying to hit the point where the money starts flowing in faster than I can spend it and I can start obliterating the economy. Will probably do a second set of factories in the Oort Cloud to supply that side of Sol, then expand out into Commonwealth space with Commonwealth wares.

"Shadowing Heavy Industries- Your ethical source for wares. We're not trying to conquer the entire galaxy. Yet."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Station building is my favorite thing in this game. It's cool as hell to just stand on a landing pad of a station that didn't exist before you built it, watching ships with your paint job and logo, and NPC traders, land, see you having an active impact on the world, and say "yes, this is mine."

I'm very much looking forward to getting a wharf up and being able to stand there watching the factions buy ships FROM ME.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I need to start stealing shipyard blueprints, and also ship blueprints

And weapon blueprints

Just an endless amount of emp bombs

I thought wharfs and shipyards cannot be stolen?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking about it, that epically awesome PHQ at the top of the page, inspires me.

I'm going to move my PHQ to Earth and give it its own little mini Torus Aeternal.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I do like that L miners that don't have the big mining turret, the way they mine asteroids is to just... ram them and blow them to bits.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone have any tips on making money in the early mid-game? I've been working to embed myself into the Terran economy like a tapeworm, and expanding into Argon space with a graphene refinery.

I tried to cap a builder ship but 3 Falxes and my Katana weren't able to out-tank its shields.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

chglcu posted:

Iíve been having traders suddenly appear after I turn my back to the empty counter pretty frequently recently. Maybe theyíre just loading very slowly?

Yeah I think sometimes it takes quite a bit of time for the game to populate the NPCs as it should.

I wish there were Terran-stylized versions of Commonwealth wares producers. I want to expand Shadowing Heavy Industries into Commonwealth space with a trademark Terran aesthetic! Not mix and match...

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Zereth posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to capitalism. Trade with anybody who has money.

Tim Curry was wrong. Space HAS been corrupted by capitalism.

... and I'm one of the people doing it!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think the MIN has police authority over the Teladi sectors, and the Argon have police authority over Antigon space (whenever I enter the Void from Getsu Fune, I get told I have items in my inventory that are illegal to the Argon Federation, not the Antigone Republic).

I am curious how hard it would be to mod in a custom Terran splinter faction. Not for any real reason; just for funsies, to do it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

No, I mean a third one. A custom one. Uses Terran stations and such, but just new systems, new faction, etc.

Just for fun.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've built my first wharf- so far just the dock (the containers and such are going up as I type as I let my factories grind out some passive cash for me)- and I hadn't realized that ships just will stop by, get repaired I presume, and fly away, leaving me with a small chunk of change. That it took no resources at all to repair.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You need to own the blueprints to put them on a station I think. Ships, the wharf already owns the prints, so you have access to them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

My wharf is building its first NPC ships! Let the money-making operation of the century BEGIN!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

So I just jacked my first builder ship from MIN (I figured the Teladi seemed the sorts to respect me stealing their property and then maybe selling it back to them).

How much can I expect to sell one of these for? Selling it at the shipyard only seems to want to pay me 6 million, but obviously I think these retail for a hell of a lot more.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mods.

Maybe putting more builder drones on the builder ship? Not sure.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Streamer I've been watching play Farnham's Legacy, it doesn't look that amazing, the streamer wasn't having much fun and when I poked him about it he admitted he hates it so far.

Seems VERY heavy on the grind and pointless tedium.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

X4 as of late has very much been an idle sort of game for me, alt-tabbed in the background (there are commands you can put in the command line to make it run at full resources and have sound) as I work on other things.

I'm trying to figure out how to print money, a wharf is profitable (now that I've installed the mod that makes it so they are 100% profitable when making ships for an NPC faction, not 30%... Egosoft seems very keen on nerfing things to drag out the G R I N D) but I want MORE.

MORE.

M O A R.

Ice Fist posted:

Get teleportation. Send small/fast travel ships to places you're likely to go or to your destination ahead of time and teleport to them as needed.

Really need to send a small ship to every faction representative location, just so I can teleport freely between them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

buglord posted:

What QoL mods do you guys use? Iím not rich enough to own a warf yet but Iíll likely be installing the warf mod to get more profit.

Station mules and such (haven't set up any warehouses yet but much easier to make my wharf get its hull parts from my hull parts factories), the wharf 100% profitability one, one that makes crystals spawn at their launch rates (currently purple crystals are overwhelmingly common and when you mine any crystal that isn't purple it prevents non-purples from spawning for a time), and one that makes asteroids with crystals glow a lot brighter.

Some others like sector satellites, an automated exploration mod...

Wish there was a mod to let me put different logos on different ships, so I can put one logo on my "security forces" and another on my "economic division" (miners, traders).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Rakeris posted:

Wharf profitablity mod? What is that

Apparently egosoft made it so that when a faction buys a ship from your wharf, they only pay you 30 percent of the price.

The way around that is either selling the ships yourself, building them then selling them at a wharf, or a mod I can't link since I'm on mobile but is on Nexus that makes them pay full price.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

One thing to note about the Terran economy and solar panels is that their farthest systems have absolutely pathetic solar levels.

A fully kitted out solar power plant in Mercury won't be able to move product fast enough; one in the Oort Cloud will produce barely any.

A solid investment is to build one in the Segaris sector right next to Neptune, since their solar capacity, even if its not as ludicrous as Mercury, is better than the Terran sectors nearby it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah for example I've got a consumer goods factory that makes Terran MREs and Medical Supplies (and Protein Paste as part of the chain). There's no reason to not have it have a workforce; it supplies itself and the production boosts pretty much offsets the loss.

Likewise you'll want your wharfs and shipyards to have workforces because then they'll build ships much quicker AND you'll have people to go into the crews (though one oddity I've noticed is that despite only having Terran habitats and only Terran people around when I'm walking around the docks, my ships built at my own wharf are of every race, not just Terrans).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Travic posted:

They should. I've started defending their systems and their economy bounced back pretty quick. You can also help them by doing station building missions and building much bigger stations than they ask for.

I once built a station for the Terrans that only met the bare minimum requirements and thus was literally 100% useless to them.

It still sits there, waiting endlessly for materials that will never arrive because it doesn't have storage space for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I was watching some streamers check out Farnham's Legacy and I just was... nope. That UI was.. bad at the time it was released.