Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^Agreed. I tend to concentrate my facs in mineral / gas rich areas and then I'll set up 10 sector miners or so, all L ships. It helps to de-clutter the interface vs having like 40-60 M miners to feed 2-3 megafacs. I've not experimented with L universe miners, but now I'm thinking about setting up an L mining fleet to supply just a few core sectors with max mine/trade distances of 3 or so sectors.

Definitely build a pier if you're going to make a factory that's more than just 4 x hull parts, 1m6s dock, because as you say, the universe has tons and tons of L trader ships just trundling all over the drat place.

L traders I can't really imagine using myself as universe traders. But I'll happily set up sector traders with L ships to move goods between my facs. They function basically as mules at that point, but without having to install the mule mod which seems too feature-packed, when tatertrader can be jerry-rigged to function the same way by limiting gate distance and/or faction.

As I expand out of Nopiles Fortune (the resource rich one) will probs experiment with embiggening their gate distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

queeb posted:

by the sounds of it i shouldnt set up shop in argon prime? lol

Argon Prime is not a bad place to build a fac. It was my babby's first self-sufficient hull parts factory location.

The reasons being A) it's relatively resource rich (ore, silicon), and close to other resource rich sectors by virtue of highway, and B) it's got stations that will consume your hull parts and is also close to other stations, by virtue of highway, that will consume your hull parts.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've never tried torps on AI ships because, yeah, stuff micromanaging their ammo counts etc, but I use them on my player ship.

One thing I recommend if you do player ship torps is to park yourself right in the mudhole of a K before firing, and take out those two turrets near the engines first (I just use light smart missiles for them, the splash also takes out the shield generators).

If you come at it perpendicular (say from underneath or above), the torps seem to fly to the location where the K was when you shot them, and then curl around to where the K is now (because it's moved), rather than adjusting their course to match a K that is moving perpendicular to you at 40m/s or whatever.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Some poor cargo driving fella probably ate a stray shard.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It's basically for that reason I don't IS fight to defend race stations, only OOS. I'll only IS fight when attacking an enemy sector. It's annoying. I too would love a mod that just makes friendly stations ignore me shooting at them. Or maybe make it a threshold, like, if you kill a station, reputation drops to -30 race-wide, so I can still declare war on a race and just start by taking out a defense station.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

One thing I'm a little dissatisfied with is the music in X4. I enjoy it well enough, but, like, flying into kingdom end in X3 for the first time and hearing that music, and seeing giant space humpback whales trundling about, was a really memorable and awesome experience.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anybody know of a way and/or mod that allows me to hide things from the property list?

Because I've been peppering the universe with defense stations and yeah I don't need to see those in my property list.

E: I'm considering just using the cheat script to switch ownership of my defense stations to other races so that they don't clutter up my property list, but I'm not sure if that's going to screw up the AI or not.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 20, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

For those having FPS issues in foggy sectors, this could be useful:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2108202077&searchtext=

Can be got from github too: https://github.com/bvbohnen/x4-projects/releases

My FPS tanks in foggy sectors so this'll be good.

E: Also, the argon rep in my save game got blown up and now the wharf has respawned in a new location, but the rep isn't there anymore, and I haven't gotten a blueprint I want.

Anything I can do about that?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 30, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The profit margins on wharfs / shipyards are so insane that once you start selling to other races its like instant billionaire.

Honestly it could probably do with a balance pass because at that point you can solve any supply chain hiccups and just build a massive fleet and zerg your enemies.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Babby's first self sufficient station took advantage of clipping. Teladianianianianiam drums merged happily with construction-crane silicon wafer factories. Space residential complexes had apartments being invaded by glowing advanced electronics fabs - exposing the inhabitants to a neverending neon blue, and the cold empty nothingness of the 'cuum.

This was cool but it resulted in weird graphics artifacting which annoyed me to a, frankly, worrying degree. I decided I would wallpaper over the cracked, moldy wall, and so my very own Borg Cube was born. Argon cross connectors masked the merged mishmash of structures within.

Due to the temperamental nature of the space lego interface, I had to build the cube in slices. Each slice, I would save the XML code from the constructionplans.xml file, and then paste it into a new template. So for each slice I made and code I pasted, my cube became a little less of a rectangle.

Of course, worrying about internal logistics of my cube, I had to leave out a row of connectors that I could put into the final product, thus allowing each of my slices to be connected. I presume a space train runs through there.

At 370 modules, this station was merely child's play for what was coming next, unbeknownst to me, my spare time, and my partner's patience. I would proceed to sit on the couch interminably, staring at my TV monitor trying to precisely position modules using a lovely generic wireless mouse with a poor sensor. The foam of my side of the couch has not yet recovered its previous buoyancy and perkiness, and I suspect it never will. RIP.

With the aid of a mod that reduces buildtime, I was able to build my cube in just a few hours. I built a few more, and the money was pouring in, before starting to get the distinct impression I was cheating. I had all of the factories and housing modules crammed together, everything clipping with reckless abandon. I was reminded of that X-Files episode, Season 6 Episode 1, Dreamland, where a test pilot of a UFO is merged into a rock but somehow still alive. Nope. Not in my city in space.

So I started work on SpaceCity. It was going to be the space mega-mall to end all space malls. At first, the plans were relatively modest. Modules might double my cube, nothing too gargantuan. I had the primary goal of no clipping, and 740 modules would already be a challenge, and a space eyesore.

But, urged on by the inexplicable need for NUMBERS GO UP BRRRRR, SpaceCity would expand in proportions with no regard for frame rates. Once again I had to do it in layers, using the XML code tricks. It appears the game has built-in safeguards to protect graphics cards on middling computers. Frankly, I view this as an infringement on my rights.

Along with space billionaire status, I inherited the requisite gaudy tendencies. While aiming to double my Borg Cube size, I would overshoot with excess reserved only for the space 0.000001 percenters. Though I consider myself ostensibly a man of the space people, even my sterling character is not immune to these temptations of the limitless.

Once again I employed a connecting 'row', what I envision to be my space monorail, to link all the slices. My computer doth loudly protested, a whirring, moaning cry for reprieve. Grudgingly, I would tap my well of mercy and cease adding modules. Construction would begin! This beast would live to see the light of the fortune of Nopileos.

After a wait in which I visibly aged, alas, SpaceCity had completed construction! Words can't describe my elation, and the sense of dread smothering my poor PC.

SpaceCity!! A city in space where anybody can achieve the SpaceCity Dream, and nobody else's structure clips into your living room! A true beacon of opportunity in a galaxy ravaged by war. All welcome; a veritable melting pot.

Thanks for reading my blog!!!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Even if all the traders buy at max price you'll still make a lot of money. The markup is like 400 percent or something.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Gotta admit, I love the way this game looks.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So for external view on a targeted ship you press F3. Then you press F3 again, and you can rotate the camera using the numpad keys. If you want to do it on your own ship, it's F2 (external own ship), F2 again, and then numpad.

Shift+H disables the hud for cool rear end screens. CTRL+H makes your own ship invisible (in both cockpit and external view) if you want to take screenshots flying around a station or whatever.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hitting Kingdom's End for the first time and seeing a giant green space whale while ridiculously cool and tranquil music plays in the background and an absolutely beautiful skybox :discourse:

Got to a point where it would just be a time investment to take over any sector I wanted, so now restarting X4 with VRO and the faction enhancement mods installed. Combined with dynamic wars and ossian raider, this should make for a very war-heavy universe.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What in the world I've got like a 300+ hour save that I pulled through from launch to 3.1, and have built over 40 self-sufficient mega stations, and I never even knew the station planner had a randomize button that made cool looking configurations that don't overlap or clip.

I'm exclusively using this from now on. Just put down all your production modules, an equal amount of cross and vertical / horizontal spacers, and have the randomizer build you a completely unique looking station that also fits in with the design aesthetics of the game itself, since race stations are randomized in a similar way.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 7, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That's cool. I always keep the cheat menu handy in case of some bug or whatever that sets me back, or if I want to manipulate my start.

What do you mean by devstarts allow you to scan almost any BP? Like could I scan the Teladi trading station habitat ring and build myself a ringworld? Are there blueprints that I can't normally get in a regular start, but can with a devstart?

Because if so... I'm uh probably going to restart this new save I'm about 20 hours into.

Edit: honestly anybody who has a problem with how anybody else plays a single player sandbox game is just :jerkbag:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Beware that when you click the randomize button in the station planner, if you have any loadouts (weapons + shields) on modules, they will be removed when you randomize.

This includes defense modules.

Which is stupid.

I've got like 8 defense stations where the defense modules have no turrets.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

On my last playthrough I was doing a heavy fighter-heavy fleet composition (so more carriers) and doing a 40/40/20 split between attack/intercept/defend has been working so far. I'm thinking about shaving the defend down to 10 percent or so because the intercepts are usually taking care of any s/m's attacking my carrier, and if there's another L/XL I'll set target for an attack by the carrier anyway.

I am playing with modded in ships where carriers are also decent shooty boats too, though.

On my new playthrough with ossian raider, dynamic wars, faction enhnacer, and vro, I've gone with a strategy meant to limit me. Using the recycle ships / stations mod, you get a small chance at a blueprint for ship / equipment with every ship you 'recycle', and I'm only allowing myself ships that I capture.

It's been interesting and slow, I'm only able to build miners and traders at the moment, and I'm like 40 hours into this save.

faction enhancer for the most part has kept the galaxy pretty stable due to the catchup module that, when it detects a race is 'losing' a war, increases their production rate. However, weirdly, PAR have taken the litany of fury sectors to the northwest.

Xenon are, as usual, kicking the teladi's tails.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 17, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

For anybody interested, there's a Star Wars mod that's in development and the creator of VRO has joined the team: https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-mod-x4

Edit: It's on nexusmods too: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/349

For some reason (I'm guessing copyright stuff?) they're not keeping up a thread on the egosoft forums.

I remember playing both Star Wars and Trek mods back in X3 and they were heaps of fun.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 20, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Annath posted:

Hm... it would be cool to set up automatic money generation while I go do other things. That's something you can't do in ED.

That's definitely possible and in fact inevitable. The typical sort of starting progression for passive income early game is buying miners to automine in a sector, followed by some traders to do autotrading around the universe. The pilots will level up and become more efficient.

Then you can go and do other things like missions (which can be quite lucrative, especially the easy mine-clearing missions) or just go shoot some xenon in the motherboards. Or you can go try to capture ships in unowned sectors (so you don't get sector police coming after you), etc.

Mid-game money-maker is by running your own stations, particularly a shipyard / wharf. Also doing military build missions is a great early-mid-game money maker and that's a fairly handsoff experience (design station, assign builder, go tool around for a bit, cha ching).

Fairly early on you can basically tool around and explore while your subordinates make money for you. It's the expected 'second step'.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

AI versus AI battles won't, in vanilla, result in bails. Player AI (your fleet) has an extremely low chance to produce a bail when engaged with AI.

Mods of course can change this. I used to run a mod for X3 that like quadrupled bail chances of AI to AI fights, and my universe was littered with empty ships. So I installed a mod that basically made all factions have scavengers who claimed said empty ships.it was honestly kind of awesome.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only missions I ever do are mine removal, fleet assembly, satellite placement, and station building.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

One if the coolest things about Terran space in x3 was the sense if scale they managed to get with the distances and station sizes

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

RE performance, a huge increase if you are GPU limited is by using mods that remove rendering of asteroids at a certain distance, and remove fog.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just X Things

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Travic posted:

Shiiiiiit.

I wish we had the Boron.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

One thing I'm a little dissatisfied with is the music in X4. I enjoy it well enough, but, like, flying into kingdom end in X3 for the first time and hearing that music, and seeing giant space humpback whales trundling about, was a really memorable and awesome experience.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

So is this playable with a controller yet or not really? Wanna try it again with the new dlc but being able to play on the couch would significantly increase my enjoyment I think

Yoy can fly around and dog fight with the controller but you really need a mouse and kb for the empire management and station building stuff.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Defense platforms and station modules Do Work but only in sector. Once they are out of focus, or whatever the engine term is, they are kinda crappy.

Teleport to your defense stations if you want to wreck them Xenon!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The ego forums definitely have a large chud population, like for real don't look up the thread of the mod that removed all the black people from the game, it's basically just wall-to-wall #whitegenocide anxiety.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anybody know why the graphics seem to blur at either horizontal edge? E:NVM it's chromatic aberration, turning that poo poo off.

Also, turbolifts and stations still plummet my fps and send my GPU into overdrive. Are they still doing that thing where they are rendering everything behind what you actually see?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Weird I've never had that happen, frame rate seems consistent (with vsync off).

Yeah my GPU usage spikes to 99% and frame rates drop to about 50fps when walking around a station / entering a turbolift. The more space (like stars and black and planets and poo poo) you have in your view, the higher you fps. This is at 4k on a RTX3080. However, I noticed the same behavior on a GTX1080 at 1080p. Dropping to 1080p (but with 2xSSAA) does not see 99% usage anymore on my 3080, but it'll go from 40~ to 85~ just by being on a station or in a turbolift and fps still drops.

IIRC the explanation for this in the early days of X4 was that the game was rendering everything you couldn't see, and when you're on the station LOD forces things to render at high detail / geometry because you're close to it.

All maxed except chromatic aberration off and vsync off.

However I've also got really crappy 2933 cl21 ram and I know that X4 loves good fast ram.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if the game has occlusion culling because you can build stations however you want and they're entirely modular so the occlusion calculations would get more complicated as you build poo poo and you would constantly have tiny glimpses of stuff through other stuff.

Yeah that makes sense that they don't have that kind of occlusion culling. However, it's happening on just the vanilla stations (I only just started terran cadet).

OwlFancier posted:

Basically just don't build big stations and sit in them and expect the game to run well, is the thing. Not much you can do about that if you give the player the ability to build as big and as dense as they want.

Ha I just remembered that I built this thing and I basically couldn't get anywhere near it:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah so I took some quick screenshots. This is at 1080p. The GPU usage in the turbolift is seriously hosed when looking in certain directions (top left corner for gpu info). They must still be rendering everything behind it at high LOD as the first screenshot has a big patch of just space and usage is much lower. I guess it makes sense with OwlFancier's explanation above.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 31, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As a suggestion if you have reflections turned up, turn them right down, they use an insane amount of power to process presumably because it is calculating it for every drat surface, it looks nice but it runs like utter poo poo on my, admittedly, significantly weaker PC.

Cheers, I'll give that a try. I remember that being a performance guzzler on the old gpu, too. The reflections are pretty, though, but 80mm gpu fans blasting is not worth it and moving back to 4k native would be nice, if only for alt-tabbing to station planner purposes.

E: Okay, tried turning screen space reflections off, and here I am in the turbolift of my ship that's flying around in space in Mars sector and I'm still getting like 98% GPU usage and fans blasting. Maybe I've hosed something up either with mods or my pc. I can't remember how I solved this problem on my GTX1080 a year ago... maybe its SSAO. Going to try that.

E2: Not SSAO. gently caress it don't care anymore. I'm just going to cap frames at 60 and play at 1080p.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 31, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So will I find out what happened to my wing man in the Terran cadet plot? I seem to have progressed to project genesis now.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So if you want to speed up saving and loading times is it better to turn compression off? And if you do what are the downsides? Huge saves and increased write wear on your ssd?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

I strongly recommend the Litcube's Universe mod. There's also a Star Wars variant called SWLU. It adds a ton of automation features for your empire building needs and a big scary endgame enemy to fight once you have a big fleet.

Seconding this. LU is basically my ideal X3, and while you're going to be spending some time reading the wiki to understand the ton of new systems and mechanics, it's worth it. X3's arcane menu systems will seem clunky at first, but it won't be long until you can mash Shift+C-->4-->2-->3-->1 or whatever to issue commands from memory.

X3 engagements are so different because of jump drives and M7Ms (missile boats that just poo poo out missiles). LU really takes advantage of this by allowing you to jump in entire fleets in specific formations, and have your combat moves progress in 'waves' with just hotkey presses and each wave can target specific things. So like I'd jump in my missile boats and spam the missiles that break apart into 12 projectiles and then spiral in (can't remember their name) to take down enemy mediums / fighters, and then once that phase is done, have them all jump out and next is second phase of missile boats coming in with heavy torps to blow up the capitals, and then they jump out and final wave is cleanup with the light destroyers and a bunch of M6s. It was honestly extremely satisfying executing an attack like that and coming away with minimal losses.

It can be a bit unfair though because the enemy doesn't take advantage of jumps in the same way, but what they lack in tactical versatility they make up for by being absolute units. The biggest OCV ships can tank multiple M2s without breaking a sweat.

LU also has a bunch of fleet supply and logistics automation built into it (like said missile boats returning home to resupply on missiles, and then your shipyard is resupplied from your missile factories automatically etc.).

I really like X3LU. However, you can get to the point where your logistics chain is so efficient and you're making so much money that the end game 'boss' becomes fairly trivial, and is just about spamming ships at it, the most efficient being missile boats, and then it is just slowly pushing back. I got bored at that point, but LU is definitely the longest I've ever spent on a single X save and has the best 'end game'.

--

Semi-related, but the mod "Rise of the Ossian Raider" adds another big bad to the X4 universe that will absolutely take sectors from the main races. It comes with a bunch of new bigger ships, too, which is good or bad depending on your preferences. Their most recent update added the SR2 from Mass Effect which I kind of don't like because while it's a cool looking and well-modeled ship, it just sticks out.

In my last save, they had basically obliterated the Argon. As a second big bad paired with the Xenon, it made for a very war heavy and dangerous and less predictable universe which was fun, if anybody is looking for that.

For my current playthrough which I just started (Terran Cadet), I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the early stages scrapping for cash money. Taking every destroy mine and satellite repair I can get just so I can lay down a basic satellite network in Sol system and get my first couple of traders and miners going was fun. Looking forward to being able to consistently do build defense station and build fleet missions so I can fortify terran space and their war fleets, but that's a ways off.

One thing I don't really like is not being able to by rng or earn ship blueprints from other factions without the rep grind. There is a reverse engineer mod where each ship you feed it will increase the chance that you unlock the blueprint, but I've never capped a capital before and having to do it multiple times... could be an end-game goal.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 2, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I highly doubt it'll help with load times. Decompressing my save (880MB of XML) takes 3.5 seconds.

Save times though:
Compressing with gzip takes 20 seconds (101MB)
Compressing with lz4 takes 1.3 seconds (173MB)
Compressing with zstd takes 2.2 seconds (93MB)

So it's very tempting to turn off save compression in X4 and instead use my file preferred file system that supports transparent compression.

Do you know if the majority of the save time is being taken up by writing the XML file, or the compression itself?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So I'm looking at the Frog and Baldric (Terran S Courier and M trader TS), and is there any reason to use the Baldric? It's got a little over twice the cargo space but also under half the speed. Frog seems better all around for UTs?

I am using VRO so that is probably changing some things up.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

chglcu posted:

Got an urge to play some X3AP:

This is a good memory. At some point I just asked myself why tf I wasn't just using the cheat script I had installed.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm using VRO and yeah the frog is a good small trader. I dunno that I would risk a good pilot in it though, very fragile.

That said I wouldn't risk one in a baldric either, probably go for a large ship if you're putting good pilots in them.

Hmm, yeah good point, thanks! I'll probably set up some Terran-space-only Frog traders to do the lion's share of moving stuff around Sol system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Trade station is a cool idea Owl, I'll try that. I want to get a trade fleet running moreso because I like the idea of it rather than it being optimal. But trade stations as distribution hubs fed by mules in key sectors seems like it'll work well.