Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Erm... that’s a bunch of random space sim stuff in the pre-roll. E:D and... dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh wow some of that HUD looks really like E:D... nota bad thing

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Even the station walking looks kinda cool. Modders can have a field day with all this :0

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I do user testing for a living and watching this guy fumble around the interface is like most days at the office for me, fuuuuuuck.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

With a medical leave, birthday and time off next week, I shall spend a bunch of time in spaaaaaace this weekend. I’m excited - I’ve been through Egosoft’s every release day/week/month/year jank since X2 and embrace it wholeheartedly.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Speaking of Egosoft and the 15-person headcount, it’s kinda awesome how small the company is and how ling it’s been around. Their summer stream gave a great glimpse into everything - it started with a games and stuff Berndt wrote as a high school kid in the late eighties/early nineties, managed to secure a loan with backing from family friends and neighbors (the company opening photos from like 1991 have a gloriously homely feeling to them) and chugged along for the last 20 years without either bloating or contracting. They’re based in Aachen, not far from where I live, in this super unexciting (albeit very livable) area in an extended family house. They seem to hire local, plus fans and modders and keep this low level profile.

The whole Rebirth situation could have had massive consequences, and I see how they got there - TC and Albion prelude took off on Steam due to word of mouth and a positive attitude from fans, and they made bank. Problem is, 40-something semi-successful dudes like Berdnt do get self-indulgent and kinda crazy at this age, and I think he really wanted to push for a multi-platform, AAA approach. It’s cool that they managed to break even despite the bad feedback and took all this to heart. I think Egosoft is perfect as a small dev with a limited scope, and not everyone needs to bloat into beeing EA or Bethesda.

Ok I’m done back to waiting for the game to go live thank you for your attention.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Another stream from ObsidianAnt two hours from this post.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As OwlFancier said they sad that midnight release is certainly not planned and that they themselves don’t know. As there is no physical release, they can stretch dev time all the way to the end, but they made it sound like afternoon CET is feasible.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Has anyone heard or seen gamepads in use with X4?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

Steam page says it has full controller support, devs said the same. They also said it will ship with a default X52 profile.

Thanks! I just saw a gamepad mode option in that Twitch guys stream. Fantastic.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

First time I heard about SETA being back. I guess it’ll be a thing to use to pass the time for production and remote trading, as the highways and travel mode cover moving around at speed fairly well.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That older British streamer dude just spent over an hour trying to make it through a typical Egosoft jank-o-script campaign mission, falling into the ever popular pitfall of diverging from that one particular thing you needed to do at that moment and the interface not communicating in any way about it. Never change, Egosoft. But... player hub!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Welp, getting out of bed (sick day), pulling the trigger and waiting for it to drop is my plan for the next ~10 hours.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pylons posted:

I bought a trading ship, but the "AutoTrade" order seems greyed out. Also, I can't figure out how to sell my starting ship.

Could it be you’re missing auto trading software? Some options are visible but greyed out until you buy or purchase specific upgrades.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GTX 980 and i7, smooth sailing. Game take all the X staples to extreme. I have no idea what’s going and am completely overloaded. Also gamepad support out of the box, but holy poo poo is this going to take time to learn.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Do I need to come with two ships in the antimatter tearing a hole in the space time continuum PHQ mission?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Flew into green asteroids and exploded. I think that does it for today.

I’m trying to get the second ship needed for a mission, but I’m not having any luck finding the shipyard or Argon Prime. Also, I seem to be followed by either Split pirate Kestrels or Xenon M’s which I suspect might be scripted into that mission.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Google Butt posted:

Also, what's the controller of choice, hotass as usual?

For X, mouse and keyboard is usually the default, with HOTAS and gamepad a close second. X doesn’t have the combat fidelity of E:D, but requires a lot of faffing about in menus, so a large joystick gets in the way.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm going back on the whole HOTAS thing, I connected my X-56 and instantly became the hotshot of Argon Prime.

The PHQ mission is breaking my brain, but I've finally managed to get a ship in position with the antimatter in the hold and now I can't remove the AI pilot from it. Is there no "eject pilot" command?

EDIT: Haha, nevermind - the game somehow decided to trigger the PHQ appearing, even though the ship with the antimatter was chillin in a station a few hundred kms away.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 1, 2018

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

After a day or so I guess I can attempt a small trip report, prefacing with the answer to the standard "should I buy it?" question.

- If you've been around the block with X and have enjoyed your time with the series before, despite the problems (ignoring Rebirth), this is a no brainer and just go ahead and buy buy buy.
- If you've played X before, but found it frustrating and the jank pissed you off, stay away for a few months - there's some time to go here before we get to TC/AP level of polish.
- If you've never played the X series before, but want something fun and easy to get in and do pew pew, don't get it now - you're going to burn out on the jank and the incomprehensible universe and systems you're given.
- If you've never played the X series before, but you're fine with learning a million systems and exploring an in-game universe that'll potentially keep you busy for a few hundred hours, wait a few weeks.

Even though I've played all the X games, I found the first few hours fantastically straining. Since I only briefly played the previous entry, I struggled in recognizing with what is what, as there's no denying that Reunion was a strong base with TC and AB stuff added on top of it. It's certainly a confusing mess at times, but holy poo poo, does it have potential for the next few years to keep us busy. The interface in particular seems like a prototype more than anything else - the functionality hidden within gives a lot of ability to control anything from small to large empires, but the current visuals obfuscate everything to a degree that I fear most people will bounce off.

After a dozen hours of playing, I'm still looking for a plot, other than the Player HQ, and with the Encyclopeadia empty on most topics, there's a lot of information missing and thus getting into the universe is a bit challenging. Still, the new world, highways, sectors and races have a degree of familiarity that make finding your way around much easier. I pity anyone coming in hot, though. The world is pretty great, though, and even the station walking kinda makes sense and works, although I do hope future stations will become more unique and perhaps vary in sizes, layouts and character. Stylistically, it's no Mass Effect or E:D, but it also has enough elements from both worlds that it stands on its own. The ship design in particular stands out.

Gameplay-wise, the amount of stuff taken from E:D is marvelous, from the docking, to some of the combat dynamics and interface, and there's no shame in that. Too bad Frontier Developments wouldn't do it the other way around. Conversely, the systems in X4 feel small, but perhaps this is something Egosoft finally stopped obfuscating - if you look into system descriptions, they actually list low populations (in the few thousands range) and I suspect they might be actual numbers derrived from station and ship crews.

I tried on a keyboard and mouse, HOTAS and gamepad setups and found the HOTAS + keyboard and mouse at hand the best, though the mouse+keyboard option is the most accessible and works out of the box for anyone. The gamepad option, while great on paper, seems to be not fully there, as assigning button combinations, at least on Xbox One controller, didn't work, which left me with too few buttons to competently get around.

Performance-wise, with an i7 6700k and GTX 980, I've had no problems so far and in this regard, at least for me, this is the most stable X release in ages, from the technical standpoint.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So for the mission that gives you the HQ, I'm at the part where I need to build a dock and I'm not totally clear on what it means when it says I need to assign a builder - does that mean I need to buy a builder ship, or is there an NPC type that I need to hire? I feel like it's probably the former which means that I'm nowhere near being able to afford it but I want to be sure before I head off to start earning cash.

When you’re in the planning phase, there’s a button to hire a constructor. When you push it, you need to find a constructor ship somewhere in the universe. I found one in Argon Prime, where I dropped a satellite next to the warf - I just chose it from the map. I’m not sure what it did next, but the station construction commenced - I had to put in some money, the station put up buy orders and freighters started bringing the needed wares in and it was done after a while.

Question: what role do crew members serve - my transporter chuggs along with a pilot and even though it has 20 crew slots, it works with just 2 servicemen onboard. I guess this is just transport capacity and you don’t actually need them?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Variable 5 posted:

I finally set up Voice Attack for this and now I fly around barking commands to my ship like a goober. Game owns bones.

Wait, what’s Voice Attack? It sounds awesome.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Landing with a ship that has a max speed of 180 on a Cerberus zooming around at 333 sure is a hell of a thing.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Good thing is X4 has apparently crossed the all-time high of people playing an X game on Steam (Reunion), which implies they’ll be good on continuing development for the foreseeable future. It’s also up on GOG, where I’m sure it sold a bunch, too. The downside is by releasing in the usual Egosoft fashion, they’re risking a bunch of bad reviews, but maybe, at this point, they don’t care.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Where can I change the Global Settings for AI?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There doesn't seem to be much in the overarching story department, you instead have smaller mission sets that push the universe sandbox along. After getting a status increases with the Argon and joining their special forces, I got a set of missions that require me to help build up the Argon's military potential in their campaigns against the Paranid and Xenon. This seems to be more of these, perhaps after completing them something else will open up. The PHQ is another longer series of missions, but it ends abruptly.

EDIT: Looks like the economy is resource based. I doubted this, seeing how I could get anything in the main Argon shipyard and equipment docks, but now I wen't to the ANT sector, order a ship and some satellites and I'm stuck waiting for it to get produced. The station has a bunch of buy orders for ship components, so that's pretty neat. Of course the interface didn't directly tell me ANY of this.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 3, 2018

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

The game tells you on the buy screen that it does't have the resources to build what you've ordered and that this will cause a delay of an unknown duration. It even tells you what it's missing and how much.

* groan *

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What a ride these few days have been. I now have to take some time off due to work, but all for the better, as I find myself in the spot I usually end up with these games after a few days. I ended up committing most of my units to support the war effort, but the buy orders soon ran out and now my ships are hanging around doing nothing or selling minute amounts of cargo. The player headquarters is also a bit of a dead end. The teleportation research is game breaking - on the last level you can teleport across the whole universe. It also takes 10 minutes to research and doesn’t cost anything because that quest chain is not finished. So now I have to pack up my empire and re-focus on some other activities, but it’s a lot of work and the interface doesn’t have some basic functionalities that would be useful, like copy pasting orders or templates. Don’t get me wrong, it’s glorious and I can’t wait to play more but I’m also super keen on seeing the change logs and how the development team progresses from this point on.

I think the interface can be a monster when it comes to running an empire, but it needs a lot of work and the fact it’s so complex now means I’m not even sure that Egosoft can achieve it. Conversely I’m not sure modders will be up to the task - this isn’t simple XML editing anymore. I’d love for people to do more character models and new stations, but this all looks so complex and modern that I don’t know how feasible it is. Also I agree with the criticism that the universe feels small and that it could benefit from more breathing space and emptiness.

To my surprise I had a lot of fun with the combat and dogfighting. It seems to be fun even though some tweaking is in order here too, like the boosting away problem. The weapons and what they do and how they differ is still not clear to me because I haven’t had that much time to test them, what with the turrets being broken and the AI problems - I guess I’ll wait a little bit more to have a better picture. Also there just doesn’t seem to be that much going on in the core systems, at least at the beginning stage of the game. I’ve also been very lucky with bugs and performance.

It’s too bad that the crew mechanics are unclear and obtuse - if they work the way I think they do, or if the framework is in place for an advanced system, then this could be pretty cool in the future. I see something like football manager in space. Imagine having ace pilots on both sides where you have to take care of them and their training but also you could go after the competitions ace pilots and either have them killed or stolen away. Or maybe go after a particularly efficient station manager. So much potential.

I am already sad that I can’t take my huge desktop PC with me for Christmas and will have to stop playing for at least two weeks. On the other hand it will be pretty cool to come back and see what they’ve been up to in that time.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s impressive that they managed to tune the economy and politics to the point that when left running, it ends up being stable. Now it needs some sort of a prompt or event to occasionally break out of that.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wars tend to be around resources; I think limiting resource availability and forcing factions to struggle over them in conflict areas would be cool for the game. Dunno how feasible it would be.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Think of it like buying an early access game. They can't patch it if they go out of business.

It’s a type of game no big studio will make, and I doubt they’d pull it off with Early Access. It’s akin to Flight Sim stuff - stupidly expensive and in constant development, but scratching an itch for a very particular group of people. It sucks if you get roped into it by accident and I think in case of games like X the return period should be extended to, like, 10 hours.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The map set up the way it is, with a large highway loop around everything, would make more sense if there was a million poorly connected systems around and the systems we have in game now would be a core. I hope this is really what they’re going for, but if that’s the case then they really meant Foundations when they named the bloody thing, didn’t they.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Found a new bug: I accepted a mission to scan a ship. This turned out to be a xenon ship which was destroyed soon after. This also completely disabled my ability to save the game! I couldnt abandon/cancel the mission at all and now the save button is greyed out completely.

Had a similar problem. Go to the full screen briefing for that mission, then collapse it with <. You can also wait for an Autosave, it’ll clear it. While it clears the inability to save, I’m unable to dismiss the mission.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I've pissed of HAT by doing a random "destroy lasertowers" mission, and now my auto traders refuse to trade. Anyone ran into this before?

EDIT: Actually, all my traders are full of Turret Components and that's why they don't trade, what the christ.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 9, 2018

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

sandoz posted:

why are my trading ships constantly dying, yet I have had the same miners since the first two hours of the game?

You can try changing the global ai setting in you pilot profile to comply with pirates and police - they'll drop stuff when accosted.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

How do I get my drill vanguards to only feed my refinery?

Also make sure you have the correct storage at the station for whatever you’re mining, lost 2 hours trying to figure that one out.

I've downloaded 1.5 Beta 1 and it seems most of the right-click orders are gone. No way to set Import, for example, and AutoTrade is available only through Default Behavior.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 15, 2018

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Having unique ship dimensions per race, along with unique goods, could introduce an interesting complexity to ship type and supply chain management, which is missing atm.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

quote:

Version: 2.50 Beta 1 (343159)
New Feature: Resupply ships are now available and carriers can also resupply their fighters.
New Feature: Sector blacklist settings to prevent ships entering certain areas.
New Feature: Inventory management with lockboxes in space and inventory storage at player HQ.
New Feature: Tobii eye-tracking support (Windows-only in this build, Linux support to come).
Added images and background information relating to star systems and planets in encyclopedia.
Added logbook entries for NPC ships being built, restocked or repaired at player shipyards.
Added note/hint while mouse direct steering mode is active.
Added more variations for Build Station, Rescue Ship and Scan missions.
Added new global orders section in player information menu.
Added options for ware transfer and trade with build storage to docked menu.
Added inventory information to player-owned ships.
Added categories to object list and property owned in the map.
Added options to sort the object list and property owned menus by name, size or hull.
Added warning in trade menu if a ship cannot transport a ware.
Added possibility to cancel builder ship assignments before ship deploys at station.
Added current build progress information to the module type summary lines of station entries in the map.
Added option to configure autosave interval (and prevented autosave immediately after a manual save).
Added information about hacked research module to research menu.
Added information about hacked production modules to info menu and Logical Station Overview.
Added ability to configure Logical Station Overview graph data for each station individually.
Added wreck filter option to map.
Added interior sounds to rooms, shops and ship bridges.
Added mining and resupply tutorials.
Improved selection of multiple wares for behaviours and map filters.
Improved out-of-sector firepower calculations.
Improved resource preview in the ship build/upgrade menu.
Improved satellite deployment tutorial.
Improved performance of loading and saving.
Improved interface for dropping player inventory.
Improved map object list performance when looking at many player stations.
Improved faction behaviour when dealing with ware shortages.
Improved ship formation behaviour when flying in travel mode.
Improved controller support for initial ship type selection in ship build menu.
Improved ship docking and undocking movement in certain cases.
Improved behavior of free-flying police.
Improved defence drone handling by capital ships in combat.
Improved mission reward text for paint mods.
Improved updating of wares to be traded or harvested by station-based trading ships and mining ships.
Improved Logical Station Overview graph data selection.
Improved AI station generation logic to make selection of large habitation modules more likely where appropriate.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve put in something like 60 hours of good space sim fun, but as it stands, I’m out and waiting for the in-game universe to grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Stick X mechanics into E:D, and we’d be golden.