Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Now that quaretine is in effect and bannerlord is still a few weeks off, want to check this game out. How much have they changed wrt quality of life stuff since x3? I remember having pages of notes and huge number of mods playing x3 in highschool. Is it easier to pick up in comparison to x3 and are the interface and menus better organized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Looks like I will have to pick this up if the UI is indeed better. Not a shut-in teen anymore where I can pour over the wired UI.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Aww man. One of my best memories was flying around the Normandy from Mass effect with a glasscannon fighter in the hangar and using the Normandy as a tank while I went around blowing things up.

Speaking of flying the Normandy, how is the mod support and community this time around? I remember being able to fly in any sci-fi ship I could think of in x3.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is quicksave taking 20~30 seconds normal? Just stayed this game and noticing all the load times are longer than what I've been accustomed to with a ssd these days.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So I think I'm finally getting the hang of this game and remembering how x3 used to be, I still have a bit to go.

is there a tab or menu that shows factionwide information such as war/loss or item demands? I remember using some mods in x3 that made trading and finding gap to take advantage of, but am at a loss here? Also, do people have advice on control setup with kbm? I still am not used to the shift+spacebar to switch between free mouse and mouse control.

Edit: getting info probably involves sattelites right? I probably need a scout shoot to auto deploy them around right?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 22, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Oh boy! A free cerberus right along the route to a PHQ mission! Are there other free ships like in x3?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Can I assign a hauler to go out and buy necessary parts for research and construction on a station? Looking at the sheer amount of stuff needs for the PHQ mission and unlocking research looks like it's meant to be automated to some extent.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there some requirement I'm missing in order to find a black market? I've been scanning a boatload of stations but haven't found a single mission that offers opening up a blackmarket trader. Can't craft the drat emp bombs.

At least I am getting some production modules to get a station up and running. Is ship hull considered a good starting station?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Here I was freaking out over not making any credit with my brand new hull parts factory. Turns out the station station account just keeps piling up the money! Is there a setting I am not turning on for the station manager to send me the creds/why is the station running cost so high when it's a closed loop?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Don't worry too much about your ship. As long as you can take one a few fighters your good. That means just get something with more than one gun and that's not a scout. Also make sure to have a relief pilot on your ship, there is a nice surprise right at the beginning of the mission.

Just in case you get puzzled by how to get the nice surprise in order to claim he ship you just need to get out of your ship in your space suit and scan a signal that should be near the docking entrance to the abandoned ship

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 25, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Does station sabotage go towards affecting the market? Can I go around sabotaging all the little hullparts and claytronics factory on my side of the universe to artificially increase the profitsss?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Press CTRL and H. Shift H hides the hud.

While great, ctrl H also hides certain hud elements such as signal indicators and color indicator of the mode. Speaking of his, what's the small sphere under the shield indicator on the right of speed indicator?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

^^^Which fighter? Some fighters can load laser towers and drones I think.

I can't find a list of plots you can follow anywhere online, if y'all could help me fill it out. So far I can found:

PHQ plot
Hatikvas plot
Paranid plot (need to finish HAT plot to start)
Split plot (need to finish HAT plot to start)

Assuming all the races have a plot associated with it and follow up from Dal Busta?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

perfect thanks!

Saw a SAC Behemoth killed one of my traders, got mad and went with a Dragon, Cobra and a Boa filled with marines. Disabling the Behemoth was easy enough but it wouldnt stop making GBS threads out laser towers but finally managed to board and capture it. The mental image of those derpy dinosaurs going high speed low drag corridor to corridor boarding a ship was worth it. So now what do i do with this big ship? Is there any use to the fact that this ship has 4 S docking bays and space for 40 S class ships in its hold?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a reason to get L freighters? Seems like the speed is a huge negative compared to it's cargo size.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

^^ as a profitsss seeking parasite, what does your heart tell you one of the plot quest is just expanding that he'll war for you to make money off of.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress this colored switch mission. At least have a reset option to get to the default order.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

anyone know wth that icon is under the turret status? I can click on it and changes icons and numbers, but there is no documentation on the wiki about those hud icons.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BMan posted:

those are your drones

Well when the hell did I get drones/deploy them? Also what's the use of drones anyways (I have seen masses of defence drones come out of stations so I can see that being useful for cap ships).

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why the hell would the devs put mines inside lockboxes that you can scan or prep for beforehand.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

What do people fly generally? I’ve never across all the X games flown bigger than an M but I have an Eclipse and an Osprey. I’m really mad at the lack of tooltips on the shipyard screen because I don’t know what any of the guns do and there’s a weird lack of guides that tell you what makes for good load outs.

I want to start boarding SCA ships to make my fortune but I’m not sure how to go about it. My eclipse can only carry 5 marines.

If you got the cash and rep, cobras! I just made myself a fleet of three with myself piloting one of them. It can carry 25 marines and has a good load out of weapons and engines. Or go the cheap way and pilot a single cobra (you get one for free in the split quest) and have several boa's filled with marines follow you around.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Terrible ship stats wise, but holly hell, this bridge is amazing. When you think about the fact this this is the front of the ship and its a front line destroyer, i dont think having a bridge like that is a smart idea...

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay the newest Nvidia patch has fixed my crashing issues so I'm playing this for the first time but holy gently caress this game is opaque as hell, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

this is how the game is all throughout tbh. It's menus and context based orders hidden within odd pages and obtuse ui. But somehow everything works and there is always some solution. Also there is very little in the was of screwing the player over other than a geometry glitch or bug. Station missions are random, so your best bet is to go to high density sectors where lots of stations congregate to have a higher chance of missions. But those really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 27, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

emps and hacking aren't getting me many blueprints yet

Emps have a 100% chance to get blueprints as long as you have the relevant research done. You have to drop on the correct module that you want, not just the station, and you get 4 signals where one gives your the blueprint and another one gives you a permanent trade subscription.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tabletops posted:

i found some lockboxes and i guess some of the stuff is black market or something? it's red in my inventory. but they are worth a lot (security slicers?).

where can I go sell them? how do i find a black market station or whatever?

The slicers are useful for pirate mission which require you to disable stations services or for your own needs. You craft them in the work bench with mats you find from wreckage and lockboxes. Not really worth it to sell it. Best to find some missions to use it on tho, a disable station service mission is around 300k creds.

Black market stations are stations with the two sword icons, usually called pirate stations. On the other hand you can find signals on stations in scanning mode, that may eventually give you a mission to open up the black market in that specific station.

Also doesn't matter if you have illegal goods in your hold. You can just run away from the cops very easily with no rep hit.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

You can sell them in black markets and pirate bases.

Look for missions in system. They should get you started, or just hang around a station until some criminals pop up (they are in civilian vehicles traversing the station). Or just do the main plot/travel the super highway for some map info. Money will roll in quick and you can quickly get yourself a miner to auto mine for passive income.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Just double checked, they will not buy slicers, decryptors, or bypasses. They sell them though.

Assumed they were tradable because they were in the trader screen.

Does turret settings affect ai in oss combat? I'm watching my behemoth valiantly struggle with about 10 Ms not really doing much. Gonna teleport in shortly but just wanted to check for later as I stop paying attention to my mining operations as my empire expands.

Tabletops posted:

my main plot mission right now is to get the uhh big station running and build a dock which takes a lot of credits

Try to get a miner to auto mine in a rich sector as soon as possible and you will have a steady income. First thing I do in every x game.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 27, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If you can get yourself into bright promise, you can't hitch your ship onto the main highway and take a loop through all the main systems!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

really sweet toilet view right into a raptors hanger bay.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I got some hull parts and claytronics factory that gives me a couple of million creds every now and then but I can't figure out how to look for those bottlenecks and lucrative trades. Is it just using the trade filter and looking for the largest buy orders?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tabletops posted:

whats the coolest/best/most fun small ship to fly? I like the kestrel but it's pretty anemic in a fight

edit: can I get a cube/geometric shape ship?

I just found out the drat game has a ship compare screen hidden in the encyclopedia where you can load out and compare ships.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Well, gently caress dealing with them then I took one of the "find density of resource" misison and it was a colossal pain and i never did finish it.

Also I noticed once construction was like halfway through and the hull parts modules were already built that there were like two other hull parts stations in the sector, is it possible to uh, move a station? Or get a refund for the hull parts modules and just sell graphene and refined metal?

Just sabotage those stations! There seems to be no negative reprocusions of messing with the stations computers.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I think its time to add some mods. Any suggestions for QoL mods other than the Mule mod?

Why the hell is screen space reflections turned off by default in the high settings? I just found out after playing for a couple of days that it was turned off, now everything looks shiny and so much better.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 28, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

bgreman posted:

This one mission where you have to protect this Paranid diplomat while he conducts negotiations is kicking my Cobra's rear end. The fighters that spawn in just take out my shields in seconds, so I'm afraid to try to boost away since that will leave me with even fewer shields. I really don't think I like the "boost energy == shield power" mechanic. Maybe I should just keep ignoring this mission for another 30 hours until I can come back with a whole fleet.

Just boost away towards the pirate lady and leave him be, his allied fleet will come in and you can just shoot the stragglers and complete the mission. Doesn't matter how good your ship is if dozens of fighters are shooting out at the same time, you need to get them distracted to have a chance. Also the duke has plot armor, so he won't die.

Also that shield=boost mechanic really benefits terran engines, since terran ships have insane accelerations, so the game adds another layers to equipment needs.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 29, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Anyway I've gotten the basic level research for all types of ship mods done

... how do I mod a ship?

EDIT: also what faction do I want for combat engines and shields?

mod componenets are gotten from combat drops or sometimes from station vendors, personally i find it annoying since the process of grabbing drops is annoying so i just added a mod that sells all the components at stations. You mod you ship by going to a workbench in a relevant shipyard (warf for S/M, shipyard for L/XL) and going to the ship vendor location in the station.

Terran shields right now are amazing, but if you cant get that i think teladi and paranid have the highest capacity? Split engines are the fastest, but terran engines have amazing acceleration so while your split engines are still spooling up, the terran engines are halfway across the map.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

... Okay that is the screen I get when I choose to "redesign" a ship form the right-click menu. But I can only... actually DO anything in the menu if i'm staring at a workbench, of the right type?

I never knew you could access that menu from the ship...

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Where did you place your factories/what do you have setup? I have a minor setup in hatikvas choice just for this plan I am working towards. But having a real hard time getting mineral miners to mine anything.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to tell my HQ to buy things at above market price to get research done faster?

EDIT: also if I want to dedicate a trader to farming terran faction rep, where would I find a list of the terran wares?

Just set it to distribute wares in a terran sector. Should increase rep. For the research, if you have a trader set to trade for building mats, they should bring you goods for research.

Something's gone wrong in my game just as I'm about to stepup production into higher tier products. I can't find silicon anywhere. All my stations have no silicon and there doesn't seem to be any stations selling silicon based wares. Anyone have a location with high silicon deposits I can try to mine? I even have probes in grand exchange showing large silicon concentrations, but my stations is always empty.

Or better yet is there a web based tool to upload your world state to check sector resource data?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 31, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Something accurate. I have a dragon raider with 4 bolts and 2 ions. You are going to be hugging the ship and targeting individual components so mass damage isn't really and issue.

Doing the plot missions to change the ai war states really changes the economy. Once I figured out my silicon bottleneck issue (miners didn't want to mine in grand exchange, but they love pious mists) and started the argon vs terran war, my economy is just booming selling to argon and ant. At this rate, an hour of seta while go do laundry is gonna give me enough creds to buy the warf bp and build it.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 31, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wish egosoft would add a casualty stat regarding the ongoing wars. Right now starting the war just sorta gives you a few messages about war and your creds go up. Being able to see the consequences on a dedicated screen would really flesh out the whole cause and effect part. On the one hand, watching my numbers grow feels great, but on the other knowing that it's all due to a war you started really makes me feel scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I just spent the last hour of work from home fiddling with my brand new warf. One set of spreadsheets to another I guess

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 31, 2021