Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Just found out your stations can be hacked. Was wondering why there were all these wares floating around my station (it was large quantities of goods, too much for a single M trader to carry). They were not from ships that got shot down, and I looked into my station supply and turns out I was loosing supply. In the property tab it shows up with orange letters saying hacked and there was a disguised pirate ship loitering around my station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

On the other hand terran are just a ridiculous powerhouse. They are murdering ANT and ARG while shooing away xenon invasions with a huge fleet of nearly 20 destroyers and an asgard.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Kha'ak make stations way outside the regular sector area and will constantly send raids into miner clumps. Miners also tend to clump up around specific areas (for example all of your miners from a station will all go to the same area in a sector, or all your sector miners will clump up in the same area). The best solution I found was to use the defend position behaviour around the area your miners go to. You have to change it every so often when the miners change spots. It's either that or go and destroy the station. If you can find the station and the sector ownership is with another faction, they will very quickly go and get rid of it for you as long as the faction isn't getting steamrolled somewhere else.

I have got this mass of destroyers I captured ( 11 in total) that I used to use for miner defence. I haven't lost a miner in hours and most of my mining zones are relatively safe. Who should I go to war with/can I go to war like this? If I were to make a defence platform in neopolis to claim it, do I have to around blowing up all the scale plat and HAT stations?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 1, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I wouldn't mind more supply oriented combat due to being able to sell more products, but only if egosoft had provided a M or a L sized auxiliary ship.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

can terran ship parts use final products of the other races such as hull parts and weapon parts, or do they have a completely separate production flow that requires their special items i have seen around like computronic substrates etc?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I use it as a food/medical station with some microchips and hull parts with lots of storage. Because grand exchange is right in the middle I use it as a supply depot. Don't really see a reason to teleport the drat thing.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, so if I want to get a fleet it'd be cheaper to just buy it outright instead of build them? Or is it just that the AI will pay rock bottom prices for your ships you make?

Cheaper to build still because the price markup on ai stations for parts and hulls is higher. It's just the ai that has weird ship pricing. Or better yet cap all the destroyers and build a your fighters.

buglord posted:

I played X3 and enjoyed it, but eventually washed out because the pacing was just a little too slow for me. Does X4 improve that a little? Or at least give some QoL changes to make that initial start up less harsh?

Much better this time around in x4. The story and plot progression is even better and puts you on the path towards building an economic powerhouse.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

That stat is currently a hidden stat that even rogueys or the encyclopedia doesn't list. But terran have the fastest spoolup/charge time while split has the longest due to their high top speed. Also ship mass and engine size affect it too.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I ended up just killing Xenon to get them, I didn't want the police bothering me lol

If you seta in a sector where there is a lot of mining happening you can come back a few minutes later to a map full of eggs floating in space and collect them and dip. It think it's more lucrative than hunting for crystals tbh.

How the hell is hop so powerful? The have managed to clear faulty logic, and are now pushing into ANT space while holding back PAR and assaulting their stations. I started the TER vs ARG war because I thought HOP might need some breathing room in their holy war, but now I think I made a mistake.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 4, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Do you put station traders in your station or just let the ai come and buy?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Trenchdeep posted:

Also what's the bridge between a bunch of miners and a station? I'm building my own but I don't have the income to get it up at a respectable pace. (Partially because I keep buying stupid poo poo for myself - katana! Woo!)

Player income wise? Robbing pirate factions of their ships and more trading I guess.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The crew transfer interface seems so half baked in a worse than typical egosoft style. Like why is it only a quarter of the screen? Why do the lists start collapsed? Why can't I sort by skill and role like I can the crew menu of a ship? Why am I limited to service crew or marine?

Having to remember names like Yoohozthya Theringh VII, and then find them in the collapsible sections that only take up a tiny portion of my screen, so I can transfer my 3 star pilots to L mining ships from M ones is, well, it's a way to spend 15 minutes for sure.

There is a crew management screen under player info. It should be the one under global accounts.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

or always have a bit expensive trade materials in your ship. somehow, the pirates always home in on you when have something.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

chglcu posted:

I personally hate the station building and just select the components I need then hit randomize until I get something that looks acceptable.

What? There is an automated station building tool? As in I don't have to manually place down the parts?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

chglcu posted:

You still have to put them into the box - they don’t have to connect - but then you can click the dice (IIRC) button at the top of the screen to randomize the placement and connections.

That's what that was for! Goddamn the ui is obtuse.

Speaking of missiles, can you make a player ship that causes the whole screen to turn into a itano circus? Load a kuraokami into a middle boat with swarm missiles?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some autominer questions:

Do they work better if I deploy resource probes? I set out some probes in areas and found a few spots supposedly rich in Silicon but my miners wandered off to areas of the sector without probes instead... they also seem to sometimes struggle with finding stuff.

Is OOS automining better? I had several of them deployed mining Silicon in Grand Exchange I where the Player HQ is (and I've been loitering occasionally).

They also seem to struggle in certain areas with finding places to sell, a lot of the ore refineries in the systems I put them in either have no buy orders or very small ones (less than a third of an M's cargo worth). I guess they're just overstocked?

Whats a good S class to invest in for some early combat/mission stuff, and what kind of guns should I be using?

According to the devs placing probes help miners priorities high yield locations, but that doesn't necessarily mean its where the probe is. Also crew experience (both pilot and crew) affect mining yeilds and speed. Whats going on is kind of a mystery. Its best to leave them mining OOS. I have noticed that the whole buying and selling kind of happens in chunks. Usually i will have 15 to 20mins where nothing happens and then a whole slew of sell/buy orders happens, then another pause, so dont worry about ai usage, they chew through ore and silicone. Fyi, i find gas to be more consistent and profitable atm.

For a good S class as a player ship, you should look at some of the heavy fighters. I really like the chimera(ZYA?), gladius(TER) and pulsar vanguard(ANT). Each of them requires 10 faction standing i think. All of them are kind of slow but have huge weapon loadouts and good sheilds. Small ships dont really have much in the way for ship loadouts unless you are specializing in things so i usually go all bolters with 1 smart missle launcher or torp launcher.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

They have something else but the same chasis with less guns i think? I dont remember which factions have which ships tbh. Personally i wouldn't put money towards a S ship until later when you have more money and access to mods/components which really make them worthwhile. The plots if you have started it gives you some really good M ships early which work better off the shelf (Cobra, Dragon, Katana etc). Also, if you dont know yet, the in-game encyclopedia has ship comparison tool and lists all ships/components you have access to with full 3d model.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 13, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

BMan posted:

Yeah that cobra dragon is like... why would I ever use a fighter over this?

fixed

Seriously, the dragon is as fast and nimble as a S fighter with huge amounts of firepower and better shielding/hp.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 13, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There are more wormholes other than the one in the plot?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

I've been consistently unable to place a 3-dock down at all to rotate it to a better angle, i may need to just expand the plot

Don't bother with it to start with. I rarely see L class and above docking, so you don't need it till later. The 1 dock one is way more useful and the BP is cheap.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So... Found out that M ships can fire their turrets while docked. Why did no one tell me this.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I guess now I get to help Duke's Buccaneer's take over Nopiles Fortune.

Never! Nopiles fortune is the perfect place for the player and that 2 eyed freak can go build his own drat stations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Haven't played the game since the split dlc, and oh boy forgot everything about how to play this game. If I were to do the boron start, can I still do the other story missions, I realized that bald advisor is missing while I'm figuring out how to start the gate network.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Just started again and I am noticing bizarre slowdowns on my 4070ti and 13600k. When I start the game up it runs a beautiful high fps then drops to a 25~30fps. It will randomly jump between high and low through out the session.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Hakarne posted:

Thinking of finally giving this game and the X series a proper shot. I bought and played the last game for all of like 15 minutes before bouncing off hard and eventually settling into Elite. But X4 was on sale and everything I've read about the last DLC said it has the game in a good spot so what the hell.

Are the new starts better for a complete newbie than the Terran cadet? Because the one described above sounds good but I'm not sure if it's going to assume I know the really really basic stuff. Also any good tips for babby's first playthrough would be appreciated.

Terran start is good. Make sure you do the player HQ mission and hatikvas choice missions as soon as possible (the PHQ requires you to scan signal leaks on stations). Rest you just do what you need to figure out the game. There is no time limit on things and everything changes constantly. Make sure to change the game setting which allows time to pass while in menu if you intend to do a lot of economy stuff so things don't get paused while in menus (you can pause it manually while giving orders with default P key of you want).

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How do I turn the plunderers hostile so I can shoot them without having the whole sector get mad at me? I remember taking SCA ships iny last playthrough but not how I did it.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Watching the conga line of traders head for the Boron worlds after opening up the sectors has a really nice feeling of affecting the game world.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

E: mostly just making sure I'm not missing some amazing resource online, like how Elite had EDSM or EDDB

There was a tool that went through your save file to figure out the condition of your galaxy and gave you info on ores and gas (along with loot boxes, worm holes etc). I used it so long ago, I forgot its name or if it's still being used in 6.0.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a mod that lets me talk with faction reps through comms. It's a bit of a hassle flying all the way across the galaxy just so I can pick up that stupid blueprint i forgot to buy.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is the syn + abandoned destroyer and a smattering of corvettes/fighters enough to clean out the sectors for the yaki? I'm thinking of doing that mission this run and also take over those sectors for my industrial base. I'm guessing adding a guppy with fighter compliment would be a better fleet, but money is tight with only one hull parts factory running.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I had never really done any big war in x4 and had just assumed that as a player I could eek out some crazy victories (like in bannerlord or total war). I guess I gotta build my industrial capacity a bit more.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

The added benefit of either of these options is hullparts and claytronics 2 of the 3 (or 4 if you're doing boron stations) building blocks for all stations so you'd be making your way to producing the parts for your own stations yourself. Which means another good option is a power plant. Anything which brings you closer to vertical integration is going to be a good choice.

How many hull parts/claytronics production modules do you have running on a station? I'm just working on those and trying to figure out how many modules I should have at the end to make a decent amount of cash.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is the Terran economy relatively robust on its own? I'm thinking of setting off the TER vs ARG war which would also bring in the Borons due to the mutual defence pact. Want to make money selling materials but don't want the war to end too soon either.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for the advice on # of modules that you guys were using. I was only running 2~3 per station and wondering why everything was so slow. Now I just gotta expand the range of potential sales by building a supply station and haul it using a freighter (I'm assuming repeat order and call it a day?).

While looking at the ship list I noticed that there are lots more verity to freighters than any other ship type. The teladi and argon freighter have multiple versions, is there any real difference to them other than minor speed and cargo?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Goddamnit, why isn't water held in liquid containers!! Stupid game.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I also just got swindled by a shady teladi over a magpie. but I think the game is bugged so no credits was taken out of my account

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The man power amount is adjusted by the supply of food/medicine you provide on a per cycle basis. So you can't "stock" manpower by building more habitats. Or at least I think that's how it works. You can see the amount of change in manpower for the next cycle under the logistics view of stations. I believe each cycle is 15mins? You can build the habitats and it won't consume resources unless you can provide it through buying or producing it.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, my keyboard doesn't have a Pause key so I will have to fix up my keymap to add one.

It should be P by default....

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They do area damage but I don't think they actually have proximity detonation, so it's sort of moot.

The main issue with friendly fire is your turrets happily spraying across an arc trying to hit a fighter and instead hitting every large object behind it. I think there are mods that change that counting as FF though.

The FF mod requires you to have some script extender thing installed. And I'm too lazy these days to bother doing all that when steam workshop/drag and drop to extensions folder exists.

I've never had any FF incidents and I always have flaks on my capitals M turrets.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Would anyone be willing to share some photos of their PHQ/Terraforming monster to give me some ideas on what to do with it?

I haven't done much yet but I found out yesterday that PHQ has 4 connection points not just 2!!