Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I finally saved up enough money to buy a destroyer, so I bought an Odysseus Vanguard, and loaded it up with missile launchers. I then took it around for Teladi shields and Argon engines, because gently caress it I'm going whole hog with my personal flagship. Once it was properly kitted out, I took it into Xenon space to kick a hornet's nest. I went in and proceeded to demolish everything in there, but by the time I came out I had used up all of my missiles. So I go to a Paranid dock, refit with bolt repeaters and pulse lasers, and try again. The good news is that I don't have to spend five hundred grand on missiles this time! The bad news is that I have to spend six hundred grand on repairs.

Oh well. At least rolling in and loving poo poo up was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

popewiles posted:

Am I crazy for thinking it was Argon shields and paranoid engines that were preferable?

Different shields have different properties. As capacity goes up, charge rate goes down. Teladi have the best capacity, Paranid have the best charge rate, Argon are middle of the road. So it's a preference thing.

For engines, Paranid make the best combat engines, but Argon make the best travel engines. And since capital ships do not have combat engines, hey there you go.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

kdrudy posted:

Every game needs a good Wave Motion Gun style weapon, it just seems tough to balance.

The problem here is not that the gun isn't powerful, it's that it's not satisfying. There have been essays about how the double barrel shotgun in Doom 2 is one of the best FPS weapons ever made. It's not that it's super strong, but the sound of it, the effect, the reload action, all of that poo poo is rad as gently caress and more important than the actual effect of the weapon. (Within reason.)