Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

It basically looks like Reunion 2.0 due to similiar visuals and different gameplay elements.

I'm rather wary about this still since there are so many new additions that are potentially screwed up/unfinished (just seeing all the modding/building interfaces makes me wonder which parts are not going to function properly or are simply a pain to use) buuuuut I'll get it day1 anyways just because of nostalgica and supporting one of the last "AA" developers in the world just doing their thing.

PS: I think it really isn't that hard to make ONE dynamic, scalable rig for humanoids without screwing up the entire model in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

So, 30 pages later, is this game as good so far as OP sells it as being? I love X3, but I'm also kind of sick of it. I really don't want to buy another Rebirth, though.

As usual with the series, wait around 6 month for major bug fixes and then take another look. Currently there are some really weird and annoying bugs happening, so I would not be surprised if there are also gamebreaking ones you only discover when having put way too many hours into the game. It's closer to what X3 delivered as it is to Rebirth though. Still riddled with extremely questionable design choices of course.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Timespy posted:

It seems that it's much easier to make significant amounts of money early game, which I like.

I remember that in X3 I spent ages in the starter ship before upgrading, whereas here I already managed to buy a mk3 equipped heavy fighter and also bought a freighter for universe trading after about 4 hours of play.

Yeah the amount of money you get for a 2 second repair job is pretty helpful.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

spider wisdom posted:

:allears: Look at these non-X3 players

X4 does not like my i5-6600K and 1070ti at 2560x1440, getting ~25 fps in a moderately populated shipyard. Granted that's a long-tooth CPU at this point, but...I dunno. Switching to Medium or Low presets and fiddling with various AA, SSAO and Glow settings don't seem to make a difference. Plus, VSync not being diable-able is an issue, and borderless windowing doesn't result in anything like I'm seeing in streams.

Well there really is no excuse for a company that made games (or rather the same game) for 2 decades to have this kind of terribe UX. I can get along with it, but I understand everyone perfectly who is pissed off by it.

RE performance: Any shipyard? My FPS are always above 30, mostly between 50-100 with a Xeon E3 1231v3/1080.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mad Wack posted:

honestly i work for a german company and every german-originating piece of software has a UX that looks like a plane cockpit - it's a cultural "engineering" thing with germans imo

Haha, yeah that has some truth to it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Is it possible to kill targets directly in FPS mode or something? My target is on an M ship I can dock, but I don't want to destroy the entire ship.

I guess I could go with boarding, but thats not the solution Im looking for.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

FrickenMoron posted:

Can you hire the target? Put them on a cheap ship and have it blow up somewhere.

I read about a glitch yesterday where someone made a transport target part of his crew and promoted him to captain of his ship. After the mission was over the guy took over command of the ship and the guy had no ship left and was stranded on an Argon warship.

Sadly not, just his crew.

Well I just blew him up, ces't la vie.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I'm collecting stairgreeters so I get a polite "Hello" whenever I leave my ship.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah its the starter Elite Vanguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Terran conflict was where they massively increased the scale for stations and I kinda hope they consider doing the same in X4. Even from rebirth they seem to have done something odd with the scale, mostly I think a lot of the production modules are not as varying in scale as they could be.

I really miss that design. Flying through our home system with that massive ring station around the Earth was truly awesome. X4 is underwhelming in terms of space design in comparison to 3/TC/Rebirth