Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Having just picked this up, I'm glad to see that my X3 strategy of "google where the abandoned ships are and go grab something expensive to sell" remains a viable starting tactic. Now I just need to figure out what to with the money from this Odysseus. Time to figure out how to get trading ships auto-running in this one, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

queeb posted:

trade ships need a 3 start pilot which is a long time investment without mods. i usually take that 6 mill from the odysseus and buy a bunch of mining ships to sector mine in the different npc areas, and save some to get a refined metals station running asap as soon as you hit 10 rep with a faction and can get the blueprint

im so hype to start a new game tuesday

Cool! Really appreciate the advice, I’ll start by getting some miners rolling then.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For someone familiar with X3 but just getting into X4, would you recommend any of these starts over the other? It seemed like before the basic way to go was just to go Young Gun and do whatever, but I'm not sure if any of the Terran starts have any additional difficulty or tutorial bits that would make them better or worse for a beginner.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
On the Terran start, I feel like after bailing on the second mission and coming back an hour later with the Odysseus, my wet-behind-the-ears wingman should have been like "DAAAAAAAAAAAMN WTF" when I rejoined him.

Having everyone be low-key enemy to me and having to try and grind the rep back up is kind of a pain, though

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

queeb posted:

yeah i was going to go a pure terran start but that rep grind seemed brutal, so i just did the trusty lab assistant start after doing both new intros.

also god im at the point where i need to shuffle crew around, get 3*s into traders to start autotrading and poo poo and its painful. swapping 10 3* pilots into traders, then replacing those 10 with other crew, plus getting high * dudes into all my destroyers.

Oh does lab assistant not gently caress you on rep? I haven't tried that one, maybe I'll give it a spin instead.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

queeb posted:

well, im doing the base game lab assistant start one, starts you with PHQ and a ton of sectors revealed.

oh and auto traders are weird, they dont actually lose money, i think the -profit from trade orders is actually when its transferred forom their account to yours. if you look at their sales:

you can see what they bough and the value, and what they sold at. so he made like almost 150c profit per item on that sale.

plus in some sectors that dont need miners, you can shove auto traders in there. im getting all my split rep from my autotraders set up there since they dont need much materials.

Oh, I thought you meant the Terran lab assistant, I didn’t even try that one. Yeah, I may go back to an Argon start, especially since this is like my first real playthrough.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Suggestions on where to send my gas miner? My silicon boys are raking in the bucks, but everywhere I’ve sent my gas miner has been poo poo.

I know it can differ from game to game, but some that people have found generally profitable.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Does it matter what gas, or are they all good there?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thom12255 posted:

Hydrogen and Methane seem to work well.

Thanks! Appreciate the info

(edit): ah the problem was an even dumber one, I had initially set them to helium like days ago when I was figuring out the autominer orders, and apparently no place buys helium because they were all just cruising around with full holds of it unable to find anywhere to sell. So even though they were set to mine hydrogen and methane, they couldn't do poo poo until I told them to just dump the helium

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like I spend a lot of time managing my empire from the map while my pilot flies around doing whatever. I wish there was like a little staff lounge on my ship that I could do it from, instead of standing behind the pilot. Even better if it could also be somewhere that would allow the pilot to behave as though I was out of the sector for combat and navigation. Then if things are particularly hairy I could head to the bridge and take over.

Gotta stand right over your pilot's shoulder, make him nervous. Occasionally clear your throat or sigh disappointedly but don't say anything.