Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Ive been playing X4 to kill time until Div2. The game still lacks content. Yes, running your own pseudo simulation is fine but there is nothing to do! During first 5 hours you are strapped for cash, but once you get your mining and trading operations running, then what? Get more money? Xenon and Khaak are not really threats. If you dont go to war immediately then there is no resource sink. I am sad, I have 3-4 battlegroups and absolutely nothing to do with them.
Wish Litcube would put the challenge back into X4. His X3 mods were the dogs bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

But no content. I'd make an argument, that bugs fixes aside, there is no reason to return to the game. I believe they have confirmed that content drops will come this year and also the split DLC, but there is no date attached?

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Unfortunately there is no detailed change log for pre 3.0/DLC. I have doubts that they will fill the narrative void or content void. There is just nothing to do unless you invent your own adventures.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Hardpoint mounted weapons do not auto fire (unless you hand your ship over to NPC captain, then it behaves like any other NPC controlled ship regardless of your presence). Turret based weapons have multiple fire modes (hold, return, etc).

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

hobbesmaster posted:

Sounds like I should just start over then. Are the planned DLC expansions the equivalent of TC and AP?

The exact scope of Split DLC is not known. I think new sectors were confirmed also story elements and new game starts. Of course it will add race ships and station modules. 2.6 patch notes also came with an announcement that 3.0 (and Split DLC) are postponed to Q1 2020. I'll wait until 3.0 to start again...

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

I like split ship design. I will be taking it out for a spin once DLC hits. Should be good enough especially since I really appreciate story content.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

nessin posted:

Did they do anything with Ventures? I was going to start an unmodded game because of them but the options menu still said it was in beta so I kind of assumed they just dropped the concept and left in whatever was there when they first implemented it.

Nothing in patch notes. This has been of interest to me also. I vaguely remember something about gaining special curreny from ventures (ego coins?) but thats about all I can remember. I'll spin the game up and give it a go now, looks like there is more meat on them bones.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

I have done the eco part of X4 to death. I'd like to get into boarding proper. I have the setup but now I have trouble finding targets. I read that SCA rep is locked at -5 and Bernd said there are 20 SCA capitals in the universe at all times so they seem a good target for practise. I cant find any of them. Where the fudge should I be looking at? I created a global notification if SCA L and XL ships are detected and I hear the notification sound, but I cant find any indication WHERE they are. What am I missing here?

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

ZombyDog posted:

I generally focus on trying to cap in Grand Exchange because that's where I stick stuff I'm not doing anything with ( and that's generally where they're messing about with my Traders - I still haven't gone deep into the economy side of things ). The problem with global notifications is that a lot of the time SCA ships are masquerading as another faction, so your satellite will ignore an SCA ship masquerading as a TEL or PAR vessel ( you can still tell because it'll be named as a Pillager or Plunderer, but once I tried capping a Pillager Minotaur that remained as belonging to the Paranid even after a number of scan attempts - I am running the Ship Variation Expansion and Minor Factions Extended mods and that may be messing with things). With your global notification though, make sure you have the write to logbook checkbox ticked, you can then refer to your logbook and there with be an arrow you can click on that'll move your map focus to the alert. I basically scan through the ship lists for Grand Exchange and Hewas Twin systems ( I keep satellites on the gates - And Hewas Twin The Cove is where the faction head of the SCA resides land there and chat to the faction leader if you want the join SCA cheevo ) looking out for said Pillagers and Plunderers, and I'll assign a fast scout to follow until further notice. At this point the scout vessel will follow the target ship forever unless it gets destroyed ( even if it loses LOS in another Sector or if it reflags it's allegiance ) and I'll round up the boys to proceed to cap. I've had no success capping OOS so I recommend a tough and shooty corvette as your personal ride ( Nemesis and Katana immediately spring to mind ) to disable and defang your target and you can use anything as your troop transports ( the most guys you can launch on a boarding party is 41 so if you only have newbs I suggest you have a full complement ). SCA ships tend to have a tiny complement of Marines so they should be easy to overcome, I haven't hit a FAF ship yet but apparently they're very hard ( they carry a decent complement of experienced marines ), and the ships are often poorly equipped so not as good a return on investment ( unless you're just after free Rattlesnakes then by all means board away ).

Exactly the info I was looking for! Much appreciated. I must have missed the "Write to logbook" checkbox, I'll check again. I read from somewhere that the global notification actually can identify masked SCA ships. I'll do some testing to see if it is true.

I have 2 transports full of noob marines and a fully equipped Katana. Its a new 4.0 game start so I dont have unlimited resourcs at my disposal yet, but I think I should be able to farm SCA capitals. I also ran into Split Rattlesnake in one of the Xenon sectors and it was indeed full of manly men. No hope to cap that. Will try at somepoint because I really like Rattlesnakes

Edit: No checkbox needed (not there anymore?) for global alerts. They go to log by default and have the small arrow on the right to show location. Problem solved. Wanted to ask another question though - 4.0 introduced transaction log but the sum below is always 0. Do I need to configure it before it shows me total calculated profit-loss? Otherwise the sum feature is completely useless....

madfury fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 31, 2021

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Yeah, boarding is the way to go mid game. Farming SCA destroyers is quite simple once you get access to a Nemesis or Katana class of ship and 40 marines. Seen a few destros going around with 10-15 crew so theoretically 30 monkeys with guns should do, no need for seasoned veterans. These things sell ~12mil a pop so easy money. Plus boarding is far more interesting than spamming out miners and traders. I think I'll move on to meatier targets.

madfury fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 31, 2021

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Zereth posted:

How do you transport the 30 monkeys with guns, though?

I used two transports, but repurposed first desto into marine carrier (fits 50). My general use Katana has 4 Proton Barrage MK2. Might try more boarding specialized loadouts too, going for hull while ignoring shields sounds useful. Have been too lazy to read the description of every weapon.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Zereth posted:

Testing with the ship assigned to it already says... no. Upside, i fiddled around enough to figure out what I needed to do to get it to let me build an L ship dock. (I needed to push it farther out form the station)

EDIT: wait, I should get a smaller, fast ship for the factory to fill small orders. What's a good ship for that, focusing on speed over cargo space?
double edit: I mean, still a cargo ship, not something with a tiny hold. Just a fast one.

https://roguey.co.uk/x4/ships/
Filter to your hearts content

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

By the way, has anyone found the new, 29th, data vault? I am annoyed to no end that I have the mission open at 28/29.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of not that at all, how in the absolute gently caress am I supposed to find Hydrogen of the required amount in Grand Exchange I? I've put resource beacons everywhere.

I struggled with the prospecting missiongs so I did some googling. There is absolutely no visual indication in the asteroid fields or anywhere else what resources are available. You could stare and 30 ice rocks and get 0.0001% ice from resource probe. This has been confirmed by devs so any prospecting mission is exceptionally frustrating. Just keep spamming resource probes randomly and hope to hit it. I would suggest to avoid ALL those types of missions if possible.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Its pretty playable now content wise. I'll be the first to admit that quests (or plots in X4 terms) are an aquired taste type of content. The spreadsheet part of the game (aka eco) works just fine. UI is still confusing as hell. Ship variety is quite good now, weapon variety is still lacking imho. So I would definitely recommend returing again if you only played at launch.

I need to vent tho - Feet combat is still broken which is supposed to be the endgame fight part. I seriously dislike Egosofts lack of real solutions to managing multiple ships in combat scenarios. They did try to introduce sync points and what not in 4.0, but it just.does.not.work. Trying to order an attack command to 5 destroyers is a nightmare. They either ignore it or run straight into stations turrets etc. Even reddit bois complained about it. I dont understand why they just dont dedicate enough resources to fix it. The most effective way of attacking stations currently is to set turrets to "kill everything" and manually plot waypoint based path around the target. If the target is moving (Xenon I for example) then its just gently caress you, everything dies.

Station lego is fun tho. I must be weird but I really like building crap in X4.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Oh dear me posted:

drat, I've been using my hands this whole time

Hah, I didnt notice that one, well spotted sir.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

I'd put 'farm SCA capitals' somehwere near 'aquire Katana/Nemesis/Dragon'. Just install satellites near certain gates (can get the names once I am home) and just bounce between 3 locations capping destroyers. 8-12mil a pop.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Nop's Fortune (both) / Heretic's End / Hewas Tin IV (the final one in the chain)? Those are realiable SCA spawns for me but not sure if that differs game to game.

RE early game grind, I did the repair satellite / destroy mines / deploy satellite / taxi grind for quite a while before building up a fleet of sector miners in the Asteroid Belt (called "Beltalowda Mining Company" lol) and then my first station which was a power plant in mercury (steady income, nothing amazing in my save). I did speed up my early game progression with the mods "Better Kill Credit" and "Better Piracy".

The former does what it says on the tin and is useful for helping out in Xenon invasions; getting the lucky shot on a K is a sizable chunk of change. The latter introduces a "harrass" command that allows you to whittle down and bully S/M ships with a chance that your intimidation will be successful and they'll bail. I lowered the chance on mine from default as it was a tad high for my liking, but it allowed me to cap some traders / miners that I could sell or put to use in a way I would have in X3 with their vanilla bail logic, which if you're an X3 vet you might appreciate.

I do realize saying "mod your game" as a response to "help how do I x" is generally not a helpful response and that modding locks you out of ventures which you might be interested in. At over 600 hours in this game, I can't fathom going back to unmodded, however. There are just too many QoL / curve-fixing (both early game and late game, for example the paying salary to your employees mod which I edited to make fairly substantial so as to act as a decent credit sink) / variety-introducing mods out there to pass up.

Thanks, these were indeed the gate points I had in mind.

I was wondering about mods myself. I have now run into severely frustrating aspects of the game. Two major one being f(l)eet battles and second being megacomplex management. First one I have vented about already but the second issue is that if you have more than one of same type raw material input in a complex (lets say Ore and Silicon or Methane and Helium) then assigned station miners only mine one of the respective raw resource. So I have storage full of ore but 0 silicone. You can somewhat mitigate it by setting storage levels so ore storage gets 'full' sooner, but that also doesnt give perfect results. Could use mining-feeder stations but I really dont want to jump through so many hoops everytime some aspect of the game is broken.

So, my question is - and keep in mind I have 0 experience with mods for X4 - can you safely remove mods when vanilla status becomes important again for whatever reason? I mean saves with mods will break when you remove the mods?

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

While I do like the idea of asymmetrical multiplayer the ventures of old were a waste of time. I am highly doubtful Egosoft will be able to iterate venture feature into something exciting. I think I'll fork one of my saves and test out some mods. Any generic QoL recommendations? Im not looking for weapon or ship overhauls, just mods that make the game work as intended.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Ice Fist posted:

I need to figure this out. Gotta make learning to cap SCA and FAF destroyers a priority. I know the steps but the one time I tried to cap a FAF rattlesnake I got owned real hard. Didnít even get to the boarding part, Iíd just get shot up.

Rattlesnakes hit hard and are usually full of marines. So you would need a Raptor or another Rattlesnake to cap one comfortably. Stick to Phoenixes and Behemoths. Kill engines first. Then hull to <80% and turrents from boarding side. Board, wait, transfer marines back, sell. If you dont have a destroyer or carrier of your own, then use corvette and 2 marine transports (about 40 marines are a safe number). Keep the first destoyer you cap, stick proper engines and pulse turrets on it, set all turrets to "Attack my target", set "Disarm turrets" shortcut and fill it with marines. Next target just use main guns to kill engines from behind, target turret surface elements and keep turning your turrets on and off. Use main guns to kill shields and hull and use turrets to defang. At least thats how I do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

I feel I have been here before. First after vanilla release, second after Split release and now with Terran release.
  1. Oh cool game, new space ships, new sectors, improved mechancis
  2. I have played for 40 hours which in X4 context constitues as early midgame at best and I am discovering that half the poo poo doesnt work
  3. I have played for 60 hours and most of mechanics I want to use are broken (looking at you complex supply, mining, large scale combat and trade with NPCs)
  4. I get frustrated, look at mods to fix problems
  5. Realize that modders should not be fixing base game functionality
  6. Give up and return when the next DLC drops
  7. Weep and repeat

The concept has so much potential. There is nothing quite like that on the market. This is the only reason this game is on anyones radar - there is no direct competition. Why the gently caress did they dedicate resources to space legs is something I'll never understand. X3 communication and interactions worked just fine. Your game has a couple of very basic loops - mining, trading and combat. Ego should have made sure these things work flawlessly before introducing terraforming or loving highways in space and whatnot. Endless problems with combat craft not responding to threats, capital ships spinning on the spot, combat scenario results vary wildly depending on IS or OOS, mining gets broken and fixed on regular basis, managed to gently caress up mining AND xenon threat in one fell swoop, and so forth. This poo poo needs to be fixed as a priority. Stop adding pointless loving crap into the game. Game was released in 2018, there are no excuses to not making core loops enjoyable and reliable. If Ego lacks the brainpower, then talk to litcube or mayhem mod authors, they get what your game should be.

I'll show myself out now and be back when the next DLC hits