Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
So did they send out review copies to any media other than the streamers? Should we be expecting reviews soon or in a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

That feel when the magics of space keep doubling your distance from the center of the sector every second you're in the map

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Finding one of the highways that threads through multiple jump gates and just riding it across the universe with literally 0 loading times owns so hard

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Orv posted:

Ah, okay that's sort of a problem. If you open the map while in travel mode (and maybe other times) you get teleported progressively larger distances out into the middle of nowhere. Hm.

Thst started happening to me. If you keep it up it will eventually overflow and you’ll be back in the middle. Once you’re there, save and restart the game.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

How the gently caress do I use this digital seminar

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Can someone point me to a guide or hell, even just a suggestion of how to start making money?

I jumped in and kind of figured out the controls and at least a playable amount of the UI but couldn’t figure out what ship to buy to make money. Should I buy a crew to mine? Trade? Rush for a station?

Do missions by looking for those yellow exclamation marks near stations. Keep in mind that the difficulty estimation is a bit wonky - I've had item recovery missions that were marked as impossible where i just had to whittle down a random unarmed transport for 300k.

In general, for missions:
- If there's a mission that says you have to deliver stuff to places, you have to buy that stuff yourself. That's why those mission rewards tend to be higher - though you're actually selling the stuff at the destination, so that's nice
- Ditto for station building: you have to pay for the station. Think of it as the mission being "stimulate the economy in this way and we'll pay for it" rather than "we'll pay you for these goods".
- Difficulty estimation is wonky, I think it's meaningless as long as a) there's no time limit and b) it's not a direct "Kill this guy" mission
- If a mission says "deliver stuff to our station in X" it won't give you a destination marker but it really does mean every station there. I had one where I had to deliver 1k nostrop oil and medical supplies to "our stations in <some sector>" and it really was that some stations have those as inputs, they have buy orders for 100 or 200 odd at each one, so this freighter just has to go to all of them.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

I thought the boron weren’t in because they couldn’t figure something out for making an aquatic species mesh with the walkable stations

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

What's a good start for someone who loved x3 and played x4 for a bit on release but man it's been a while. I want to do the PHQ quest so i don't really want the one that starts with it unlocked. The trader + fighter one maybe? I don't have most of the DLC.

Also in "getting back into it" vibes, what are good really early game goals to set?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

it seems like you can't rely on random generated scans to drop module blueprints especially for production buildings, should you just rely on emp bombs instead?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Or have a behavior where the carrier holds course or something. In general caps need to do less twisting and turning IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i mean none of that really sounds unfixable, it just sounds like they need to take more of a guiding approach to x4 and have ai with hierarchical goals