Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I should point out that for as astonishingly clean an area as Tokyo is, it's not easy to find rubbish bins (rot in hell, Asahara). Outside of most, but not all, combinis are places to put your recyclables but not always your normal waste. You may have to wait for disposing of non-recyclable waste until you get back to where you're staying.

Also, if you do venture into a fast food restaurant, they actually separate combustible garbage (hamburger wrappers, napkins) with plastics (straws, soda lids), and they have a bin to pour your unused liquid and ice too so that it doesn't fill up the combustible garbage bin with it. But honestly, aside from Mos Burger, you should really not think about visiting most fast food restaurants since Tokyo has so many other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Thefastlane's the last name
If you don't need to eat while watching the event itself, Tokyo Dome has Shake Shack and Taco Bell, as well as tons of Japanese fast food places. The moderate wait on a busy day should be more convenient than trying to figure out food choices or carrying it around.

The main issue is cleanliness. A bottle drink with a cap is better than a cup. A dry food item that doesn't break apart is ok. Anything that might be smelled by others or drip or crumble is poor etiquette.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Just eat during the NEVER trios gauntlet, problem solved

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Just eat during the NEVER trios gauntlet, problem solved

What if Suzuki is in the trios gauntlet and you miss KAZE NI NARE though :ohdear:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

poo poo you’re right. Just go into an okonomiyaki place 2 hours before it starts and eat waaaaay more than one human ever should, then

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^ I flattened a sandwich combo from one of the KFC outlets during the tag team title match last year, zero regrets. timing worked out well. And hey it's a baseball stadium most of the time, they have monitors all over so you won't miss the action.

Vendo Thefastlane posted:

If you don't need to eat while watching the event itself, Tokyo Dome has Shake Shack and Taco Bell

hold up since WHEN

clearly I haven't gone to a Giants game recently enough to notice this difference.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 3, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

poo poo you’re right. Just go into an okonomiyaki place 2 hours before it starts and eat waaaaay more than one human ever should, then

When I took some friends who live in Manhattan to a Japanese restaurant nobody would try my okonomiyaki because they thought the fish flakes moving around from the heat meant they had just been pried off a living fish

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks for all the info, y'all! I just want to make drat sure I do all the best eating and watching wrestling that I can possibly do in Tokyo.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Thefastlane's the last name

harperdc posted:

hold up since WHEN

clearly I haven't gone to a Giants game recently enough to notice this difference.

Both opened in the fall, next to each other, on the concourse

I used to make an occasional drive to Tokyo and stop by one of the two elsewhere while in the area. Now I can grab both in the same day without paying for parking twice!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've been unable to find the Shake Shack in Mesa, so having it first in Japan would be pretty fun.

My stepfather is Japanese and while he knows how much of a food baby I am, he's exposed me to enough that I am less worried about the content on the plate and more successfully ordering something.

harperdc posted:

So here's the thing: You're not going to be in a car much. Trains get warm, but you're going to be walking -- from the hotel to the train, around neighborhoods to explore, etc.

There is a bit of wind chill, and you're also probably going to be exposed a lot more than you're used to (unless you spend a lot of time walking in the cold in, say, New York City). So unless you want to buy a jacket in Japan, I'd recommend bringing a decent jacket and also dressing in layers. That way, you can open a jacket to cool off. That's better than only wearing a t-shirt under a heavy jacket.

This is useful, thank you.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Yesterday it got up to 74F/23C in Tokyo and it’s warm today too. It’s not expected to last but it’s insane for December.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Went to Gatoh Move for the first time today and I strongly recommend it. The wrestlers are on a mat in a tiny room with like 50 people watching and Emi Sakura brings you hot tea at the end.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Went to Gatoh Move for the first time today and I strongly recommend it. The wrestlers are on a mat in a tiny room with like 50 people watching and Emi Sakura brings you hot tea at the end.

That sounds like a fun counterpoint to the spectacle of WK. Do they have any shows around then? Are you going to one?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They're running a few shows but some are already sold out. I think there's still tickets for the one on Christmas Eve and the one on 1/2.

I might go to the Christmas Eve one but I'm pretty much going to all the Korakuen shows WK week.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So if doors are at 3 and the show starts at 5, what time does the preshow gauntlet start? Is that what kicks off at 5, or is it stuffed in before the actual start time?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

So if doors are at 3 and the show starts at 5, what time does the preshow gauntlet start? Is that what kicks off at 5, or is it stuffed in before the actual start time?

Rumble should start about 4 pm (I have photos of it on my phone from last year time stamped 16:06), card starting at 5 pm. Remember this is a long show and people need to catch the train home!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

Rumble should start about 4 pm (I have photos of it on my phone from last year time stamped 16:06), card starting at 5 pm. Remember this is a long show and people need to catch the train home!

We'll be those people this year! Looks like a painless journey back to our place which is nice since it's going to be a long-rear end day.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

the Tokyo government should just make the trains run all night on January 4th like they do on NYE.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

We'll be those people this year! Looks like a painless journey back to our place which is nice since it's going to be a long-rear end day.

Check your PMs my dude, we're going to the Ghibli Museum :hellyeah:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

the Tokyo government should just make the trains run all night on January 4th like they do on NYE.

Do they stop at a certain point? Been checking various times on Google Maps and it seems like there's always at least one that can be taken at/after midnight on the Chuo Line, then an Oedo Line at like 5am.

Though it also is only like a 15 minute drive and Uber/JapanTaxi aren't too horribly priced for the convenience of a 15 minute car ride vs a 40 minute train ride.

extradite THIS! posted:

Check your PMs my dude, we're going to the Ghibli Museum :hellyeah:

HELL YEAH! Bummer about the later time, but like you said – at least we got tickets. Buying tickets to things in Japan from the states is such a crazy process, so I'm happy enough to just be guaranteed for all of the things I want to be doing. I'll shoot you a message later tonight!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pretty much around midnight.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I took some friends who live in Manhattan to a Japanese restaurant nobody would try my okonomiyaki because they thought the fish flakes moving around from the heat meant they had just been pried off a living fish

If they were smart it would be because you were eating Okonomiyaki outside of Kansai, which is a sin against god.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Do they stop at a certain point? Been checking various times on Google Maps and it seems like there's always at least one that can be taken at/after midnight on the Chuo Line, then an Oedo Line at like 5am.

From just after midnight until 5 am, the trains are stopped. There are some exceptions, but if you operate on this belief you’ll be fine. Taxis exist but get expensive quick. Uber isn’t as integrated or extensive as other places, don’t let Google Maps lie to you.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Worst case scenario, hang out at one of a million karaoke-kans or find a Yoshinoya and eat very slowly and look at your mobile device until 5am. Both are 24 hours.

Honestly though, I always want to do karaoke.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

From just after midnight until 5 am, the trains are stopped. There are some exceptions, but if you operate on this belief you’ll be fine. Taxis exist but get expensive quick. Uber isn’t as integrated or extensive as other places, don’t let Google Maps lie to you.

Gotcha. How late does WK generally run? Am I going to need to be checking my watch and ducking out early at the end? I mean, I assume if it starts at 5 it'd be done by midnight but I also don't want to assume anything in the world of 19-hour Wrestlemanias.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Gotcha. How late does WK generally run? Am I going to need to be checking my watch and ducking out early at the end? I mean, I assume if it starts at 5 it'd be done by midnight but I also don't want to assume anything in the world of 19-hour Wrestlemanias.

Naito/Okada started about 9:15 pm, so plenty of time still to get to a station and go.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Yeah, certainly over the last two years it was easy enough to head right out after the show and not have to worry about catching the last train. You should be fine time wise.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question - I haven’t bought my tickets yet. Just wanted to check if any goon groups here have a spare. More than happy to pay face price, not looking for a deal, just trying to find a group to go with

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just got the confirmation that our WK tickets were shipped out! We're in row 13 of Arena A in the east section, which looks to be the right side of the arena if you're looking at the entrance. Anyone else know where they're sitting yet?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Just got the confirmation that our WK tickets were shipped out! We're in row 13 of Arena A in the east section, which looks to be the right side of the arena if you're looking at the entrance. Anyone else know where they're sitting yet?

Row 7 in the stands which is actually Row 5 because they start at Row 3. Because I'm in the fanclub I got a fancy ticket with a picture of Kenny and Tana on it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Row 7 in the stands which is actually Row 5 because they start at Row 3. Because I'm in the fanclub I got a fancy ticket with a picture of Kenny and Tana on it.

Are they kissing?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm sorry but that's fan club member exclusive information.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ooh, I'm also in the fan club so I have something to look forward to when I actually get my tickets!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's not that exciting but it's a nicer memento than the Family Mart printed ticket I had last year.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Phenix Rising posted:

Yeah haven't heard anything yet. I just know we're in arena b

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I just got an email from the fanclub saying that they'll have a "shrine" at the Tokyo Dome for us to attach your wishes for the future of NJPW to, so bring your wishes if you have any strong ones.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I just got an email from the fanclub saying that they'll have a "shrine" at the Tokyo Dome for us to attach your wishes for the future of NJPW to, so bring your wishes if you have any strong ones.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I will pass on your wishes my friend

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kind of ambiguous, what does it mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just dropped ¥50k on wrestling tickets. The girl working behind the counter at Lawson's was clearly impressed by how cool I am.

Actually ¥3k of that was to an idols concert where the idols are wrestlers so even cooler.