Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
That's the one! We'll be there in an hourish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

I am glad to report I have successfully bought my first ever piece of pro wrestling merch: A COLD SKULL SANADA shirt. Was initially extremely worried as there was only S and M sizes of the shirt on the shelf but then a nice lady conjured up some bigger sizes from somewhere. Here's hoping the Japanese XL is big enough for my dumb fat rear end. If it isn't, well, guess I'll just display the shirt somewhere

I think you'll be fine. I only have the Lion Mark shirt because I'm tall to boot :v:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm on the Keisei Skyliner to Narita :(

It's been a hell of a trip, wonderful to meet all of you goons! Until next time, I suppose!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It was great meeting you! See you next time

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
It was awesome to meet you guys! Next year I’ll be sure to go to the actual show with everyone, for certain.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I'm at the airport waiting for my flight, I had a blast this trip. It's my 3rd year making the trip for WK. The first year it was a curiosity thing and I got hooked on NJPW, subscribed to World the very next day. Last year I learned about the indy shows in Korakuen just before the end of my trip, this year thanks to extradite THIS!'s schedule OP, I saw a ton more and I can't say there was anything even close to a bad show in the bunch.

I loved WK but I think the New Years Eve event was still my favourite show and I'd highly recommend making that part of anyone's schedule in the future.

I know we didn't manage to meet everyone who was on the trip but it was great to hang out at Yano's bar on the 3rd and in the Hub last night. Nothing quite like a pub yelling Kaze Ni Nare together. Thanks again to Bushi for adding us last minute to the Eberitas party.

If anyone makes it out next year, I'll be there for sure again and I can't recommend the trip out highly enough. The Tokyo excursion for the holidays is basically a routine now!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Although there may not be an opportunity for me, I want to do it again, and hope to meet up next time.

I can probably do a “how NOT to travel to Japan” next year because I made so many mistakes (note: 11:30 hours in to a 13 hour layover so living out these mistakes) that people might find useful.

But I still had a lot of fun. So much fun. Japan is amazing.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

where are you laid over

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Did anyone happen to pick up an extra WK tote bag? We had hoped to avoid the merch lines at the Dome and pick one up at the NJPW Shop but it seems like the one piece of WK merch they weren't selling there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

where are you laid over

Hawaii. Originally when I saw it I was going to make the best of it and do some Hawaii stuff but I hurt my knee at some point and after the flight it was super swollen and I could barely walk so decided to check in. This airport is…not a great place to spend any amount of time in (although some looks nice). Also I might have lost my luggage! United is pretty confident they haven’t lost it yet but I won’t be shocked if my luggage doesn’t make it home.

This isn’t my worst lay over, I had eight hours in Kingman, Arizona (literally longer than it would have taken me to drive home).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how does kingman have an airport

vegas is *right* there

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I'm still in Japan for another week so I still got plenty to do. We're going to Ribera tonight. Also if I lived here Gashapon would be a real issue for me. I keep telling myself I won't buy another one and then I see something really cool and I buy it. I also bought a Lupin figure for 800 yen.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rob come with me for the g1

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

how does kingman have an airport

vegas is *right* there

My mom somehow came to the conclusion that this was the best way to get me to Laughlin.

I guess by raw distance, it makes sense.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I'm still in Japan for another week so I still got plenty to do. We're going to Ribera tonight. Also if I lived here Gashapon would be a real issue for me. I keep telling myself I won't buy another one and then I see something really cool and I buy it. I also bought a Lupin figure for 800 yen.

You buy it from one of those resale shops that just are filled wall-to-wall with people's personal figures, or did you grab it from a more regular retail store? Because holy poo poo the resale shops are the sort of places you can get lost for hours in. Still kinda wish I had bought this tiny Totoro clock i found in one the... first time I went? If only it had been like... not almost 10,000 yen for something maybe two inches tall. Thing was tiny.

Then again, I did get a Shin Godzilla figure that is surprisingly massive (the tail is, true to the movie, about as big as the rest of the figure) for like, 300 yen, so those regular shops have their benefits, too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

The Cameo posted:

You buy it from one of those resale shops that just are filled wall-to-wall with people's personal figures, or did you grab it from a more regular retail store? Because holy poo poo the resale shops are the sort of places you can get lost for hours in. Still kinda wish I had bought this tiny Totoro clock i found in one the... first time I went? If only it had been like... not almost 10,000 yen for something maybe two inches tall. Thing was tiny.

Then again, I did get a Shin Godzilla figure that is surprisingly massive (the tail is, true to the movie, about as big as the rest of the figure) for like, 300 yen, so those regular shops have their benefits, too.

I bought it from a regular retail shop.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

If you ever see one of those resale shops (they're incredibly obvious, you'll just see towering blocks of display cases), go in. You will see poo poo you weren't aware anyone made anything from, you'll see things people made themselves or altered completely to match changes in whatever manga it came from, characters from US and British shows that you're like "I thought they pulled this show off the air before anyone merchandis -- wait is that a loving Archie Bunker figurine?!", there's tons of impossibly rare and gorgeous stuff in those places. Weirdly some of my favorite places to stop in at if I'm in Tokyo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

The Cameo posted:

If you ever see one of those resale shops (they're incredibly obvious, you'll just see towering blocks of display cases), go in. You will see poo poo you weren't aware anyone made anything from, you'll see things people made themselves or altered completely to match changes in whatever manga it came from, characters from US and British shows that you're like "I thought they pulled this show off the air before anyone merchandis -- wait is that a loving Archie Bunker figurine?!", there's tons of impossibly rare and gorgeous stuff in those places. Weirdly some of my favorite places to stop in at if I'm in Tokyo.

Yeah if you want a ton of that go to Nakano Broadway. It's a mall with pretty much nothing but that.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I randomly bought a Psylocke keychain figurine the first time I was in Tokyo. The keychain part fell off but the figurine is still good and I still have it. But yeah, Nakano Broadway is infinitely better than Akiba is for that kind of stuff.

There's a chain also called Hobby Off that has this kind of thing alongside old model kits. Hobby Off is part of the Book Off family, a family which includes the greatest store name in Japan. It sells used hardware, musical instruments, and the like. It is called Hard Off.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Yeah if you want a ton of that go to Nakano Broadway. It's a mall with pretty much nothing but that.

That's where I got the Godzilla, actually. (and my roommate found the "complete" Shirobako, more just every separate release shrink wrapped together, for like... $50. Ridiculous deal.)

I wonder if the shop that looks like a UFO set from an Ed Wood movie - actually was there anything in there? It might have just been someone's art showcase - is still there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

The Cameo posted:

That's where I got the Godzilla, actually. (and my roommate found the "complete" Shirobako, more just every separate release shrink wrapped together, for like... $50. Ridiculous deal.)

I wonder if the shop that looks like a UFO set from an Ed Wood movie - actually was there anything in there? It might have just been someone's art showcase - is still there.

I was just there today. It's the offices for the staff who do online orders and all that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Auritech posted:

I randomly bought a Psylocke keychain figurine the first time I was in Tokyo. The keychain part fell off but the figurine is still good and I still have it. But yeah, Nakano Broadway is infinitely better than Akiba is for that kind of stuff.

There's a chain also called Hobby Off that has this kind of thing alongside old model kits. Hobby Off is part of the Book Off family, a family which includes the greatest store name in Japan. It sells used hardware, musical instruments, and the like. It is called Hard Off.

The shopping shotengai near where I used to live in Tokyo is now branded as "Off Street" and has Mode-Off (clothes and shoes), Book-Off, Hard-Off (which also has plenty of game stuff), Hobby-Off and...Liquor-Off.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I was just there today. It's the offices for the staff who do online orders and all that.

So that's what it is. There was nobody around except for another confused pair of people wondering what the hell this empty, weird looking place in the middle of the mall was when we went in that one.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

harperdc posted:

The shopping shotengai near where I used to live in Tokyo is now branded as "Off Street" and has Mode-Off (clothes and shoes), Book-Off, Hard-Off (which also has plenty of game stuff), Hobby-Off and...Liquor-Off.

I saw a Liquor Off once. It was confusing.

And yeah, Hard Off and Hobby Off both have games sections, but I hit up the regular Book Offs since more people sell back to those and also since I’ve found so many obscure gems there (including a JWP vs All Japan Women’s game for PC Engine CD that is actually a Fire Pro Wrestling game with a sweet rock intro).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Just got back from Ribera. It's really cool to see all the pictures. We had one of Benoit giving us a really creepy look right next to us. All the 80's mullets are out and it's real good.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

The_Rob posted:

Just got back from Ribera. It's really cool to see all the pictures. We had one of Benoit giving us a really creepy look right next to us. All the 80's mullets are out and it's real good.

When I went there a few years ago the signed Benoit one was peering down on me from directly above. It was a weird meal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Book Off is where I ended up finally finding a 3DS charger.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I spent hundreds of dollars at the NJPW Shop and Toudoukan today. Did I need any of it? No. But I now have a signed Akira Hokuto book and a packaged Suzuki vs Lyger action figure set amongst other things. I'm a happy doofus.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
So my wife got tonsillitis, and now we're sitting in a Japanese hospital trying to get antibiotics. They're all very nice here but man not where I thought my vacation would go.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I’m still not home. Officially is going to take longer to get to Tucson from San Francisco than Tucson to Japan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The_Rob posted:

So my wife got tonsillitis, and now we're sitting in a Japanese hospital trying to get antibiotics. They're all very nice here but man not where I thought my vacation would go.

oh no :( she isn't due for surgery is she

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

STONE COLD 64 posted:

oh no :( she isn't due for surgery is she

No she's fine. She's a nurse so she already figured out what was going on , and they ended up agreeing. They gave her some antibiotics and it seems to be ok. Obviously they told her if it gets worst to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm gonna try to make it to one of the Budokan shows this year, probably Day 1.

Go Ace.