Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The tag title match was BOSS to MAMMY (Yumi Ohka and Mio Momono) vs. Sakura Hirota and Yuki Miyazaki. Main event was Misaki Ohata vs. Ryo Mizunami. Ohata retired afterwards.

Anyone at this DDT show? Yoshimura's injury looks really serious.

It looked pretty scary for a while and it took a long time before they were able to carry him out, apparently it was mostly precautionary and looked like he was able to move his arms and legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/naotasu0421_dna/status/1079306059594919936?s=19

He's okay. It was a cervical sprain. Weird how Hiromu breaks his neck and gets back up and finishes a match while Naomi can barely move his arms and legs and ends up mostly okay. I don't understand bodies.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We are successfully in Japan. The 12.5 hour flight was actually pretty good and not at all the nightmare I expected it to be. For our first night, we grabbed food from Lawson and are watching weird Japanese game shows in bed. Tomorrow, vacation begins proper but tonight is for maximum relaxation.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

We are successfully in Japan. The 12.5 hour flight was actually pretty good and not at all the nightmare I expected it to be. For our first night, we grabbed food from Lawson and are watching weird Japanese game shows in bed. Tomorrow, vacation begins proper but tonight is for maximum relaxation.

Welcome :cool: What do you guys have planned for the next few days?

Today I went to Mount Koboyama in Hadano to look at Fuji from a bit closer up. That mountain has been calling for me ever since I saw it on the plane. I was still far away but my pressing need to Look At Mount Fuji was satisfied... for now. Maybe next time I'm here I'll go for a full-blown Hakone trip, or even closer to Fuji.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The tag title match was BOSS to MAMMY (Yumi Ohka and Mio Momono) vs. Sakura Hirota and Yuki Miyazaki. Main event was Misaki Ohata vs. Ryo Mizunami. Ohata retired afterwards.

Thanks :) The full card is now on Cagematch too, wasn't there yesterday yet. Here are my full thoughts on all the matches, now that I have the names:

Singles Match: Hiroe Nagahama vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto
This was a decent opening match with at least a sweet as gently caress deadlift German. I really liked Hiroyo Matsumoto who came to the ring wearing a fabulous Godzilla outfit, complete with an entrance theme with Godzilla screams.

Battle Royal: Cherry vs. Fairy Nihonbashi vs. Hikaru Shida vs. Himeka Arita vs. Kaori Yoneyama vs. Miyuki Takase vs. Natsumi Maki vs. Rin Kadokura vs. SAKI
Fun comedy battle royal! Some good spots including the first slow motion bit I've seen live. The action was pretty light/sloppy with especially Fairy Nihonbashi's weird little stick being somehow incredibly powerful despite being swung with the speed of a leisurely strolling hedgehog. Pro wrestling y'all

Tag Team Match: Aoki Itsuki & Mei Hoshizuki vs. Ayame Sasamura & Mikoto Shindo
I don't think this match actually happened. Or perhaps I'm going insane

Tag Team Match: Keisuke Goto & Kenichiro Arai vs. Koju Takeda & Onryo
Was pretty surprised to see a men's match since I thought WAVE was an all-women's promotion. Seems like this was a cross-promotional thing? Match told a simple, good story that I could follow perfectly despite knowing nothing about it beforehand, so very well done in that respect! Old hardass Arai had to tag with lovely noob Goto who he had zero respect for, and he seemed to be proven right in the beginning of the match as Goto made mistake after mistake (Arai refusing to tag / tagging himself in whenever he felt like probably didn't help). In the end Goto heroically fought the opposing team one on two and managed to snatch the win, winning Arai's respect.

Singles Match: Nagisa Nozaki vs. Takumi Iroha
I know this match happened but I remember nothing of note about it. Sorry! It was certainly not a bad match, just not very memorable.

Singles Match: Rina Yamashita vs. Yoshiko
This was a good match with two badass women kicking each other's asses thoroughly until neither could move. Great stuff, I again didn't know the backstory but the ladies told everything I needed to know in the ring - these two don't like each other that much. Intense action with some weapons, including a fun garbage can gimmick (also, a "gar-bi-tsu!" chant!). Also I just learned that Yoshiko is the woman who shoot hosed up another wrestler in Stardom a few years back. Yikes! I remember reading about it some time back but didn't make the connection here. Now I feel a bit bad about liking this match.

Singles Match: ASUKA vs. Nanae Takahashi
Another match I can't remember the specifics of, but I do remember liking it well enough. ASUKA in particular seems super talented and I'd love to see more of her, while Nanae Takahashi plays his role as a veteran wrestler very well. Good stuff!

WAVE Tag Team Title Match: BOSS To Mammy (Mio Momono & Yumi Ohka) (c) vs. Sakura Hirota & Yuki Miyazaki
As mentioned, my match of the night. Just a super fun tag match that featured very silly stuff like numerous rear end pokes, some amazing acrobatics (for example, at one point the TINY Mio jumped from the second rope right up to the third one and it blew everyone's minds), fantastic tag moves, all the wrestlers going backstage to brawl and something happening, and, at the end, really fantastic rapid-fire nearfalls that kept everyone on the edges of their seats. Loved this!

Regina Di WAVE Title Match: Ryo Mizunami (c) vs. Misaki Ohata
Excellent main event match with two wrestlers who clearly had tons of history between them. Crowd was super hot for Ohata. Intense matchup where neither woman was able to take control until Ohata destroyed Mizunami with a million suplexes. The retirement ceremony was lovely and about half of Tokyo came to say goodbye to Ohata. I tried to take video of ALL THE STREAMERS but I'd managed to run out of space on my phone and didn't know until it was too late.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 30, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah that Sasamura tag match definitely didn't happen

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I'm in Chiba-ken chillin' with fam so my New Year's Eve plans involve watching Gaki no Tsukai (known as "Batsu Games" to non-Japanese people, a six hour comedy special where if anyone in the team laughs, they get whacked hard on the rear end) and maybe a little Kohaku. What are everyone else's NYE plans?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

For our first night, we grabbed food from Lawson and are watching weird Japanese game shows in bed.

Perfect. You did it right.

also the weather has been perfect for seeing Fuji in the distance the last couple days, today and yesterday were both amazingly clear. Cold as, but still.

and re: finding the bar -- that can be tricky. You have to learn to look into the entrance of buildings and see if there's a tiny elevator and listing of the places by floor. An 8+-floor building should have that, but it's not always tourist friendly. The other alternative is seeing what signs are hanging off the side of the building -- same idea.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Auritech posted:

I'm in Chiba-ken chillin' with fam so my New Year's Eve plans involve watching Gaki no Tsukai (known as "Batsu Games" to non-Japanese people, a six hour comedy special where if anyone in the team laughs, they get whacked hard on the rear end) and maybe a little Kohaku. What are everyone else's NYE plans?

Batsu Games sounds like a great time. I'm going to DDT/Big Japan at Korakuen! V. excited. Guessing it won't go actually until midnight, though.

No idea what to do on Jan 1. Suggestions are welcome! Or maybe I'll just go catch Zero1 at Korakuen because can there ever be enough pro wrestling

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The DDT/BJW goes past midnight. The gimmick is that the main event is usually the first full match of the year

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The DDT/BJW goes past midnight. The gimmick is that the main event is usually the first full match of the year

Oh sweet. That sorts those NYE plans right out. You can bring a snack and something to drink to Korakuen, right? That's gonna be a long rear end show.

Also I'll PM ya about tomorrow in just a bit.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Thefastlane's the last name

Auritech posted:

What are everyone else's NYE plans?

Same as always. Wrestling practice, a little recruitment work to interview people to come live in Japan, driving to every shopping center in a 50km radius for January first deals, and a few trips to the racetracks for gambling.

It's really interesting to see what all of you are doing though. Seeing that feeling of the wonder of the Japan experience takes me back 20 years... :)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Oh sweet. That sorts those NYE plans right out. You can bring a snack and something to drink to Korakuen, right? That's gonna be a long rear end show.

Also I'll PM ya about tomorrow in just a bit.

Yeah you probably should bring stuff because Korakuen fare is well overpriced and usually not that good. (the chicken there is a guilty pleasure though)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So, what's everyone doing during the day today? I expect most things to be closed for New Years but need to look around some more.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was watching some Japanese show that was just soothing music while cats and shibas played. It was very good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Rob posted:

I was watching some Japanese show that was just soothing music while cats and shibas played. It was very good.

This sounds like the best show ever made

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

This sounds like the best show ever made

Probably right up there with the show I saw that was simultaneously a dating show and team cooking show on Chinese TV.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Phenix Rising posted:

So, what's everyone doing during the day today? I expect most things to be closed for New Years but need to look around some more.

I recommend everyone do what Japanese do today and tomorrow... Shopping and eating!

The biggest shopping centers and make are outside but very near Tokyo. I highly highly recommend Koshigaya Laketown, the biggest shopping complex in the country, and easily a way to spend many hours or a whole day. It opens at 10AM and is basically two huge malls and an outlet mall and many restaurants in one complex. It is a two hour drive for me but I still go 5-10 times a year because it's so much more than closer malls.

One station is inside the center, Koshigaya Laketown station. You can use hyperdia.com to map your train route. For example it is about 500 yen and 45 minutes from Shinjuku by train.

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/search/...ed&sum_target=7

In warm comfort you can enjoy wacky shops, rare food, several game arcades, and tons of sales. I REALLY recommend the wacky super cheap stuff at Village Vanguard Z in the outlet center. Last time I was there last month I picked up crazy designer headphones for 600 yen, packs of Monty Python and Star Trek The Next Generation trading cards for 100 yen each, and much more. Inside one of the mall next to the Capcom Games Cafe (interesting but a bit pricey) is Sevens, a store with shirts and watches with bootleg Disney princesses doing drugs, strange animal designs, Game Boy shaped shoulder bags, all usually 777 yen.

If anyone has no plan at all today or tomorrow, I hope you will trust me and go there. My apologies if my tastes and those of tend of thousands of Japanese people daily don't match yours. Tomorrow going first thing, every store will have "Lucky Bags" only on the first of the year, packed with stuff for 3,000-100,000 yen each. I buy way too many each year (and even my current car was a "Lucky Bag" car) but for a tourist, the luggage space may be an issue, and today will be much less crowded than tomorrow.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thank you so much! I'll look into that. I was already scoping out the Mister Donut lucky bag but couldn't tell if they were sold out already since they seemed to release them early.

How would you rate Laketown for folks who don't read/speak the language? As friendly as things in the central parts of Tokyo?

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 31, 2018

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Phenix Rising posted:

Thank you so much! I'll look into that. I was already scoping out the Mister Donut lucky bag but couldn't tell if they were sold out already since they seemed to release them early.

How would you rate Laketown for folks who don't read/speak the language? As friendly as things in the central parts of Tokyo?

I've never been not knowing Japanese, but I recall that all store directories include English and plenty of pictures. I also see many, many people there every time I go who seem to be non-Japanese speakers. I can't imagine anyone of any background not enjoying the place. (Unless flat broke, I guess.)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

you don't need to go 45 minutes into Saitama (ewww) to get good deals, if you're staying in Shinjuku, all of the major shopping outlets back near the station (Odakyu, Lumine, Takashimaya, Isetan, Marui, etc) will have much of the same thing, including the Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera locations on the west exit. Or take a quick train down to Shibuya. That's the shopping that mega-malls like Laketown are trying to replicate...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shibuya Crossing really is pretty amazing in person

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

harperdc posted:

you don't need to go 45 minutes into Saitama (ewww) to get good deals, if you're staying in Shinjuku, all of the major shopping outlets back near the station (Odakyu, Lumine, Takashimaya, Isetan, Marui, etc) will have much of the same thing, including the Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera locations on the west exit. Or take a quick train down to Shibuya. That's the shopping that mega-malls like Laketown are trying to replicate...

To be fair, they are totally different experiences. There is a reason the vast majority of Koshigaya customers are Tokyoites. I think it would be good to experience it all as a tourist.

After 20 years in Japan I must say I'm glad to have a normal house and car and family in the suburbs. It's a much easier and cheaper, and with access to more indies bookings :D I remember the days living in Tokyo and thinking it was the best of everything... It's fun for a while but don't forget a tourist may want to look back and have had the experience of one of the biggest collection of stores and restaurants under one roof which includes a bunch of stuff not in Tokyo.

Anyway, for someone visiting Japan, whatever you decide to do, you'll enjoy it. Don't think there are any mistakes because it's all going to be good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I woke up and took a walk this morning in kabukicho and got asked to get a sex massage. As tempting as it was it wasn't even 9 am yet.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

We definitely have lots of Shibuya shopping on our list. We plan to check out Shibuya 109 (seems like it's open today?) and at some points vintage and thrift shops in Shimokitazawa.

Trying to figure out if we can still get tickets to see The Pillows tonight but Google translate doesn't do the best job at translating that information at times.

The_Rob posted:

I woke up and took a walk this morning in kabukicho and got asked to get a sex massage. As tempting as it was it wasn't even 9 am yet.

We're also in Kabukicho and about to head out for some donuts and then real food. Let's see if I get the same proposition!

If anyone wants to meet up at any point, let me know. My partner is feeling a little anxious and I think meeting some other folks in the same/a similar boat would help. Plus, meeting up would be fun anyway!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I just woke up and am hungry! Mind if I join?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

extradite THIS! posted:

I just woke up and am hungry! Mind if I join?

For sure! We're going to Mister Donut (1 Chome-2-1 Kabukichō, Shinjuku-ku) in a minute and will be the two American ghouls there. I'll DM my number to make communicating easier.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 31, 2018

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

HIGHLY recommend a Jack in the Donuts if you pass by a franchise! I'd love to know how others compare it to Mister Donut too

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I’ve only seen one Jack In The Donuts, across from the Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara. I guess I’m going to have to swing over the next time I’m around there.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Harajuku is a zoo but the food kiosks are on point

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm glad to report that Phenix Rising and his partner are super nice people. Had lunch at Genki Sushi which was a fun experience!

Afterwards I went to Asakusa and Nakamise-Dori was the perfect place for my dumb touristy souvenir needs. Can cross many people back home off my list now. Also, there was some good sightseeing to be done, that whole area was really pretty.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

extradite THIS! posted:

I'm glad to report that Phenix Rising and his partner are super nice people. Had lunch at Genki Sushi which was a fun experience!

Afterwards I went to Asakusa and Nakamise-Dori was the perfect place for my dumb touristy souvenir needs. Can cross many people back home off my list now. Also, there was some good sightseeing to be done, that whole area was really pretty.

Can gladly state the same about you! Was great meeting someone from the forums and hanging out a bit, even if you aren't a morning donut person.

After we parted ways, we explored Shibuya some more and poked around the Shibuya 109 malls where we felt woefully unfashionable because everybody here is always so nicely dressed.

Stopped by Inari Kio Shrine across from our hotel on the way home and will check out Meiji Shrine sometime this week as well.

It's been one full day of vacation so far and I already want to live here.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just completed my online check in for my flight on NYD morning US time, hyped to be joining everyone soon

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Can gladly state the same about you! Was great meeting someone from the forums and hanging out a bit, even if you aren't a morning donut person.

Seconding this, though I can't talk for extradite THIS's donut habits.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Phenix Rising posted:

After we parted ways, we explored Shibuya some more and poked around the Shibuya 109 malls where we felt woefully unfashionable because everybody here is always so nicely dressed.

To be fair, every stitch of clothing I presently wear was bought here in Japan and I still feel unfashionably out of place, but I'm also an XXL-sized American so my clothing options are somewhat limited.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
That tag tournament was a lot of fun and perhaps the best New Years activity I have ever done.

Between DDT yesterday and this show I have determined Kazuki Harata is the best thing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So we just got back to the hotel here at 6 am. We started in shibuya and it was loving awful. So halfway through we decided to go to koenji, the people there are awesome and we drank in the alley and made two random friends who also brought two random girls with them. We got hammered until 3 am left and did karaoke until 5 am. Had way too many beers and a lot of Hoppy too. It was a night. Japan rules.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lazy morning so far today which is fine by me. I think we're going to head toward Asakusa and see the shrines there and then check out Meiji later on in our trip when it isn't going to be so overwhelmingly crowded.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Happy new year, thread!

I can now also say Mr. GWB is an excellent dude who is apparently an infinite font of pro wrestling knowledge. We had many interesting discussions at 2-3 AM while drinking tons of beer. Hope he got to Ueno and eventually home fine! I got to my hostel around 4 AM. God bless eternally open 7-11s and their onigiris.

All the goons I've met thus far have been fabulous people. Looking forward to meeting more of ya this week :cool:

Raeg posted:

That tag tournament was a lot of fun and perhaps the best New Years activity I have ever done.

Between DDT yesterday and this show I have determined Kazuki Harata is the best thing.

Ah, you were there too? Wonder if I saw you. Plenty of gaijin at that show!

But yeah, that was an excellent show. There were about thirteen thousand matches so it's hard to remember much about any individual ones, but it was all a blast. Loved the progression from all-out wacky hijinks of the first round to progressively more serious wrestling, with the show concluding with what was a genuinely excellent wrestling match in the main event. I give the show an Thoroughly Sports Entertained out of Excellent. Probably the most fun I've ever had at a wrestling show.

Yukio Sakaguchi and Masahashi Takeda were my favorite guys in the tournament. Also loved Daisuke Sekimoto and Yuki Ino, who I dubbed the Big Beefy Boys. Or maybe it was Beefy Meat Boys. GWB later told me their actual tag name was in fact already the greatest: MUSCLE WOLF

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 1, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

anybody got any pics and videos of the meetings i set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Cavauro, you will not be disappointed!! But I am not back in Tokyo until Thursday!!!