Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh hey what up thread.

I still need to get my WK13 ticket(s) but I’m in Tokyo so it shouldn’t be a big issue. Just need to check if any friends want to go with.

I’ll check with the wife if I can go out drinkin’ on the 3rd, should be okay so tentatively count me in (I know I can also help with the translating as well).

Oh gently caress Toudoukan did move out of the Tokyo Dome area. The original building they were in was knocked down a few years ago, they moved a bit down the street (still near where other wrestling shops including NJPW are), but drat, out to Sugamo? Wow. At least it’s on the Yamanote Line.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have never heard of Anaya no Warehouse before and that place looks like the funnest thing ever to go while drunk

Anata no Warehouse is kinda cool, the entry and exit are sci-fi as gently caress but the rest is themed like the Kowloon Walled City. That said, if you want darts or billiards, there’s better, and if you want an arcade, there’s better of those too. It’s kinda worth it for the sheer WTF value but not worth going out of your way down to Kawasaki for by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

Doesn't look like I"m going to be able to swing the guided tour to Mt. Fuji now which is kind of a bummer but also I have friends in Japan who want to hang out and hopefully the know of some cheap local stuff.

It’s winter, so unless that tour was to places in and around Fuji there’s not much chance to get super close. And the hiking season to go to the top is generally just July-August. With any luck you can catch a view or two of Fuji from the Tokyo area, but missing out on a day tour? Fuji will still be there until it erupts but in that case we have a bigger problem

Glad the trip is back on :) and spending time with people who live in the area is always better IMO.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If you just want to see Fuji then January is actually probably the best time. You can get a really good view from Hakone though and there's a really picturesque spot to take photos of it from across the lake.

Also they sell eggs that add seven years to your lifespan.

Not pictured: the incredibly powerful smell of sulfur from up there.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Please note this shop has moved from near Tokyo Dome to now near JR Sugamo Station, which is in a very different part of Tokyo. But if their selection is the same, it's absolutely worth going to visit.

A lot of the other wrestling-related shops are near JR Suidobashi Station, which is one of the major train stations serving Tokyo Dome (it exits across a major road from Tokyo Dome Hotel). That's where Ebrietas, the official NJPW shop, and a few others are located.

[edit]

Rick posted:

Hahah, my lungs are extremely bad so I can't hike at all. But I found a tour that basically drove to the highest road they could drive you to and then took you to a forest to see some cool trees, and they also said the winter was a good time.

Speaking of, it says the average temp is 5 C January, is there windchill or that sort of thing? Also going over recent weather trends it seems to be a pretty consistent temp the whole day, but it might just be the chunk I'm looking at. Should I sacrifice the packing space for a heavy jacket? Sorry this seems silly but I'm a native Californian and have lived in Arizona forever so don't understand weather.

So here's the thing: You're not going to be in a car much. Trains get warm, but you're going to be walking -- from the hotel to the train, around neighborhoods to explore, etc.

There is a bit of wind chill, and you're also probably going to be exposed a lot more than you're used to (unless you spend a lot of time walking in the cold in, say, New York City). So unless you want to buy a jacket in Japan, I'd recommend bringing a decent jacket and also dressing in layers. That way, you can open a jacket to cool off. That's better than only wearing a t-shirt under a heavy jacket.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 1, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Some fellow Finns have informed me of the following shops:

Fukumen
Reblichal

Are either of these worth a visit?

Fukumenya Kohbo is the name you can use for Google Maps, it’s also near Tokyo Dome. I think I popped in there once and it’s pretty good. Certainly worth a look if you’re in the area.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

So from what I've read/watched over the past few weeks preparing for this trip, eating on the go isn't really a thing and you'll look like kind of a dick if you do it?

Eating a big ol sloppy cheeseburger on the train isn’t exactly cool, but standing near the convenience store? Not a big deal. “See what others are doing and don’t be a dick” is my general advice.

quote:

So what's the deal with eating in a stadium? Are you supposed to only eat at/near the food vendors in the Dome or are all rules basically waived for sporting events? Basically, want to know if I bring in some snacks in my backpack, will I be eternally shunned if I'm eating at my seat.

It’s like eating at a stadium in the US, with vendor stalls on the concourse and some vendors who come through the crowd. But it’s even friendlier to bringing your own food in, and there’s a 7-11 not far from Tokyo Dome.

Just bring a trash bag or take your trash to the concourse garbage bins and you’ll be fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^ I flattened a sandwich combo from one of the KFC outlets during the tag team title match last year, zero regrets. timing worked out well. And hey it's a baseball stadium most of the time, they have monitors all over so you won't miss the action.

Vendo Thefastlane posted:

If you don't need to eat while watching the event itself, Tokyo Dome has Shake Shack and Taco Bell

hold up since WHEN

clearly I haven't gone to a Giants game recently enough to notice this difference.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 3, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

So if doors are at 3 and the show starts at 5, what time does the preshow gauntlet start? Is that what kicks off at 5, or is it stuffed in before the actual start time?

Rumble should start about 4 pm (I have photos of it on my phone from last year time stamped 16:06), card starting at 5 pm. Remember this is a long show and people need to catch the train home!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Do they stop at a certain point? Been checking various times on Google Maps and it seems like there's always at least one that can be taken at/after midnight on the Chuo Line, then an Oedo Line at like 5am.

From just after midnight until 5 am, the trains are stopped. There are some exceptions, but if you operate on this belief you’ll be fine. Taxis exist but get expensive quick. Uber isn’t as integrated or extensive as other places, don’t let Google Maps lie to you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Gotcha. How late does WK generally run? Am I going to need to be checking my watch and ducking out early at the end? I mean, I assume if it starts at 5 it'd be done by midnight but I also don't want to assume anything in the world of 19-hour Wrestlemanias.

Naito/Okada started about 9:15 pm, so plenty of time still to get to a station and go.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question - I haven’t bought my tickets yet. Just wanted to check if any goon groups here have a spare. More than happy to pay face price, not looking for a deal, just trying to find a group to go with

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Is anyone familiar with the area around Shinkiba 1st Ring? I'm curious about what else there may be to see/do/eat in that area where we could make a full day (or afternoon & evening) out of January 3.

Edit: I did some more research on things around Shinkiba and found this crazy looking museum: https://borderless.teamlab.art/

There's also another museum by that same group (https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/) and a Wood & Plywood Museum which looks nice enough to kill an hour in or so. We're definitely going to get tickets for Borderless and from what I've read it recommends giving yourself 2-3 hours to walk around. That might be the only other thing we plan for that day since we want to try and not overbook ourselves each day, but there's also the Fukagawa Edo Museum around the same area which looks neat as well. We might go back to that area a second day for the Edo Museum and Planets exhibit.

Shin-Kiba itself isn't a garden spot -- most people know of it as either where you change trains to go out to Tokyo Disney, or the closest club for the poor kids out in Chiba to get to in Tokyo. But Odaiba is on the same train line(s) and has a lot more in the way of touristy stuff. Team Lab Borderless is there, and it's definitely worth a visit -- budget 2.5 hours or so, and just know the upstairs is pretty decent size too, so don't get burned out on just the first floor!

If you want to go pay a visit to Ryogoku, right next to it (and both near the station) is the Edo Tokyo Museum which is also a really good spot to see and a fascinating piece of architecture in its own right too.

The one piece of advice I can give is to try and limit how much back-and-forth you have around the city each day -- try to do things in clusters, and take time to walk, because the trains are useful but will swallow money and time if you're criss-crossing too much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

I'm in Sunshine City for some weird ice cream and also the Pokemon shop and just caught a random free j-pop show. I'm liking this city thus far

Go to Blue Seal, they have some unique flavors but also it’s legit decent quality ice cream, which to me is better than just stunt crazy stuff. And it’s mostly in Okinawa not around here.

Just got my ticket today, Lawson still has 1F Stand tickets so I got one of those.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

For our first night, we grabbed food from Lawson and are watching weird Japanese game shows in bed.

Perfect. You did it right.

also the weather has been perfect for seeing Fuji in the distance the last couple days, today and yesterday were both amazingly clear. Cold as, but still.

and re: finding the bar -- that can be tricky. You have to learn to look into the entrance of buildings and see if there's a tiny elevator and listing of the places by floor. An 8+-floor building should have that, but it's not always tourist friendly. The other alternative is seeing what signs are hanging off the side of the building -- same idea.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Thank you so much! I'll look into that. I was already scoping out the Mister Donut lucky bag but couldn't tell if they were sold out already since they seemed to release them early.

How would you rate Laketown for folks who don't read/speak the language? As friendly as things in the central parts of Tokyo?

you don't need to go 45 minutes into Saitama (ewww) to get good deals, if you're staying in Shinjuku, all of the major shopping outlets back near the station (Odakyu, Lumine, Takashimaya, Isetan, Marui, etc) will have much of the same thing, including the Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera locations on the west exit. Or take a quick train down to Shibuya. That's the shopping that mega-malls like Laketown are trying to replicate...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

Lazy morning so far today which is fine by me. I think we're going to head toward Asakusa and see the shrines there and then check out Meiji later on in our trip when it isn't going to be so overwhelmingly crowded.

Meiji will be crowded for the next week or so, the Hatsumode crowds are around for at least a week or two after New Year’s.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Raeg posted:

Thanks! No worries if it's full. There's always bowling at CuBAR if it's too busy.

I'm going to have to bow out so if that makes the numbers work (paging George W Bushi) then all the better! Apologies, but anyone wanting to find lunch on the 4th, I should be free to head out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

I think we're going to hit up DiverCity today too to kill some time. Were going to the teamLab Borderless museum this morning, then we have STARDOM at Shinkiba in the evening but will need to fill the afternoon up in that area. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!

If you like cars, Toyota has a big showroom and museum right next to where TeamLab is, both are free to enter (the museum area is mostly older stuff from all kinds of brands and also motor sports). Including DiverCity there are four malls in the area, and one of them (about a 10 min walk from DiverCity) has a big SEGA Joypolis amusement arcade and ride area.

But otherwise yeah Odaiba is for shopping and events.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

i have at&t international day pass which is 10 bucks a day and i didn't have to worry abut it. more expensive but it's all paid through work anyway

$10 a day?! :psyduck: because I have SoftBank (which owns Sprint) I can pay $10 for a month to make use of my Japanese plan whenever I visit home to the U.S., but per day? Crazy. Also yeah pocket wifi pretty much anywhere is a lifesaver, we used it on our honeymoon and it worked great (until we capped it out on the last day, oops).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

On the way to the Dome. Anyone want to chat or hang out before the show?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

On the same level as Tokyo Dome entrance to the right of the merch area, there’s a sign for TGI Friday’s behind where I’m standing (green baseball cap). There’s still another hour or so until they open the gates so time for anyone to come say hi!

[Edit] just spotted a Taichi cosplayer, complete with mic

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

I am glad to report I have successfully bought my first ever piece of pro wrestling merch: A COLD SKULL SANADA shirt. Was initially extremely worried as there was only S and M sizes of the shirt on the shelf but then a nice lady conjured up some bigger sizes from somewhere. Here's hoping the Japanese XL is big enough for my dumb fat rear end. If it isn't, well, guess I'll just display the shirt somewhere

I think you'll be fine. I only have the Lion Mark shirt because I'm tall to boot :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Auritech posted:

I randomly bought a Psylocke keychain figurine the first time I was in Tokyo. The keychain part fell off but the figurine is still good and I still have it. But yeah, Nakano Broadway is infinitely better than Akiba is for that kind of stuff.

There's a chain also called Hobby Off that has this kind of thing alongside old model kits. Hobby Off is part of the Book Off family, a family which includes the greatest store name in Japan. It sells used hardware, musical instruments, and the like. It is called Hard Off.

The shopping shotengai near where I used to live in Tokyo is now branded as "Off Street" and has Mode-Off (clothes and shoes), Book-Off, Hard-Off (which also has plenty of game stuff), Hobby-Off and...Liquor-Off.