Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

extradite THIS! posted:

Other stuff
- A visit to the Studio Ghibli Museum. It's closed from December 28 to January 2, for the record. Tickets seem to be difficult to get, but I'll try to get one. Anyone else thinking of going, maybe we can go together?

I tried to get a ticket to this when I was in Japan but even months early for my trip I was months behind them selling out apparently. Every person I have met that I have mentioned going to Japan to, has asked me if I went to the museum, and when I said no they grabbed me by the shoulders, shook me back and forth and screamed,"YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE MUSEUM!"

So definitely go if you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Auritech posted:

Ueno Park is very cool any time of year and Kitanomaru (near Budokan, the place Cheap Trick played, and the infamous Yasukuni-Jinja) is also quite lovely.

Ueno Park was my favorite place in all of Tokyo and a couple of days I just went and hung out around there all day (interspersed with museum trips and going to the zoo), even when it was chilly it was just a lovely place to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Auritech posted:

Also today’s the last day of Tsukiji Fish Market, as they’re tearing it down to build the Olympic Athletes Village. :(

gently caress. It was shut down when I visited so I never got to see the early morning fish auction, which is supposed to be a big tourist attraction :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

TBH I can totally believe that Dave used to fly to Japan with only the clothes on his back

But Dave, you've organized no hotel, where will you sleep?
Dave: Oh... I'll get by :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For what it's worth, I stayed at an APA hotel and it was nice if nothing fancy, and they didn't leave any book in my room (not that I would have been able to read it anyway if it was in Japanese :shrug:).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Glad it worked out Rick, hope you have a great time :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

I'm in Sunshine City for some weird ice cream and also the Pokemon shop and just caught a random free j-pop show. I'm liking this city thus far

When I arrived in Tokyo I thought,"Hey this place ain't so different from where I live" but it was also late at night and as I turned a corner from the train station, four men wearing high-vis vests and Christmas lights came striding by chanting a drunken song before disappearing into the night. Those were the first people I saw (outside of the airport) in Japan :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I was watching some Japanese show that was just soothing music while cats and shibas played. It was very good.

This sounds like the best show ever made

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shibuya Crossing really is pretty amazing in person

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo. My idea was to go check out the Imperial Palace before Gatoh Move today but I grossly underestimated the amount of people who also wanted to be there. If any of you intended to go today, hope you've been queuing up since approximately the start of the Heisei era because I can't see you getting in before the end of it lmao

Edit: I mean I really should've guessed, all things considered!

Did the old Emperor give the speech this year? He's retiring right?

One of the most surreal experiences of my life was queuing up and going along with the crowds into the Imperial Palace grounds, seeing the Emperor and his family come out and the COMPLETE silence after he finished his speech because everybody was absolutely adamant they would NOT make a noise until they were absolutely certain he was done speaking, and then thousands and thousands of people just erupting into rapturous cheering for him once they knew it was safe to do so.

I tried to keep my little flag I was handed on my way in but it fell apart pretty quickly :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dangerous Person posted:

This thread is both a lot of fun to read and super depressing for me because I don't even have a passport

I don't get to travel nearly as much as I'd like but it is seriously one of the best and most invigorating things a person can do. I cannot endorse enough the below:

Auritech posted:

Squirrel away some money, get a passport, and come next year! It’s worth it, 1000%.

Even if it isn't Japan (go to Japan!) you should definitely try to go somewhere (Japan!) because travel is good for the mind AND the soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Also I'd like to thank Auritech for providing my personal moment of the year so far by trying to explain Cavauro to a visibly tired Toru Yano.

That's the best thing I ever read!

That's the best thing I ever saw!