Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the popes toes posted:

This Buehler fellow, goddamn he looked confident
dude has the swagger for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves gonna lose in 4 but I'm already looking forward to / dreading 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

elentar posted:

we're so far beyond my expectations that I'm cautiously optimistic but happy with whatever, considering the team is projected to not really blow up until 2021

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

4-game loss is my prediction too, I just want to win the first or second game so I get 24 hours of enjoying that we went ahead or at least evened it up before the end comes.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
If Roberts uses Kenley in a game they are leading by less than 5 runs (he will), the braves will win

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Braves aren’t getting swept

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

:respek:

Really looking forward to this, last post season game we went to together was 2016 NLDS vs the Giants and we trounced Jeff Samardzija.

As a Wisconsin ex-pat it was particularly hard to go to today's game and having to deal with annoying Brewers fans who just learned half their teams players names within the past month. It brought back flashbacks of growing up as a Chicago sports fan in Wisconsin during the era of Favre/Rodgers. I'm half expecting the Brewers to fail to sell out their home games due to the Packers being in season.

Like the Cubs didn't just benefit from the same thing a couple years ago.

Every Brewers fan I've met has been a lifelong die hard. I'm the weirdo because I became a fan through my in-laws indoctrinating me. My family didn't watch sports at all.

Die hard Cubs fans in Wisconsin are an artifact from an era when the state had no team at all and when one finally came the broadcasting didn't extend far out of the 5 surrounding counties. The only young people I've met who are from Wisconsin and love the Cubs grew up with a parent or grandparent passing the Fandom down from that era

I really don't get Cubs resentment toward the Brewers. They weren't even in your league until the end of the 90s and this is the first year they've been properly good since the league switch. But I guess you see the whole state through stereotype filters or something.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Brewers/Cubs today ruled. It was cool to give Chicago the “Wrigley North” treatment yhat they bring to Milwaukee every year. Can’t believe I got to witness only our 3rd division win in franchise history in person. None of today feels real. Great day. Go Brewers.

Also getting to bust out my L flag in Wrigley owned a lot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jit bull transpile posted:

I really don't get Cubs resentment toward the Brewers.

It's honestly Ryan Braun and nothing else at this point. Used to also be Garza but he's gone. Once you lose Braun I don't really have any reason to hate the Brewers beyond the usual division rivalry.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Like the Cubs didn't just benefit from the same thing a couple years ago.

Every Brewers fan I've met has been a lifelong die hard. I'm the weirdo because I became a fan through my in-laws indoctrinating me. My family didn't watch sports at all.

Die hard Cubs fans in Wisconsin are an artifact from an era when the state had no team at all and when one finally came the broadcasting didn't extend far out of the 5 surrounding counties. The only young people I've met who are from Wisconsin and love the Cubs grew up with a parent or grandparent passing the Fandom down from that era

I really don't get Cubs resentment toward the Brewers. They weren't even in your league until the end of the 90s and this is the first year they've been properly good since the league switch. But I guess you see the whole state through stereotype filters or something.

Ryan Braun mostly.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pops Mgee posted:

Also getting to bust out my L flag in Wrigley owned a lot.

You were saying?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Brewers fans are smarter, better, and more numerous than Cubs fans

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Brewers fans are smarter, better, and more numerous than Cubs fans

At least put some effort into your trolling.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Assuming GalaticAcid would put any effort into his posting is a mistake.

Yes my glass house is very comfortable, thank you very much.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SourKraut posted:

You were saying?

You are the last person to accuse anyone of obnoxious behavior.

And frankly an L flag is a perfectly fine way to celebrate after spending the last decade having our park invaded 20 games a year.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I put in effort when it’s warranted but when my object is to make cubsposters upset it requires none at all

As any cubsposter could tell you lol

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SourKraut posted:

You were saying?

I saw no less than 15 W flags pop up throughout Miller Park at a Brewers/Cubs game I was at in April after the Cubs shelled us. Turnabout is fair play imo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this thread has taken a turn, but i will Cubspost my way out of it by conjuring the 18 most painful ways i can imagine the cubs losing to the Colorado Rockies

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

this thread has taken a turn, but i will Cubspost my way out of it by conjuring the 18 most painful ways i can imagine the cubs losing to the Colorado Rockies

Chatwood save situation?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tyler Chatwood Revenge Game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this owns:

quote:

theree’s no one remotely close to him on any control-related leaderboard—Chatwood is the only pitcher with a walk percentage (19.6%) higher than his strikeout percentage (17.5%). He’s landed in a 3-0 count against 9.7% of the batters that he’s seen, which is more than double the major league average and the highest number that baseball has seen since 2004. There are only two pitchers in the past quarter-century who have touched 10%.

quote:

But for a guy’s walk percentage to be above his strikeout percentage and for that walk percentage to be so high—say, above 18%? Until this year, it had been done just six times, last in 1976 by San Francisco’s John D’Acquisito. Chatwood’s 2018 adds one more, a piece of history that’s as small as it is ignoble.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/17/san-francisco-giants-madison-bumgarner-cubs-tyler-chatwood-red-sox

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

You are the last person to accuse anyone of obnoxious behavior.

And frankly an L flag is a perfectly fine way to celebrate after spending the last decade having our park invaded 20 games a year.

Pot calling the kettle black here.

But serious talk: if the Brewers can’t sell out Miller Park to its fans, you can’t be pissed about other teams’ fans buying tickets and making the trek. I’m not actually a proponent fans flying the W flag outside of Wrigley though.

Even this year when they tried their stupid gimmicks to keep Cubs fans from getting tickets it didn’t work. So maybe get more fans to support the team locally before getting pissed off. Though if they keep fielding a competitive team it should happen regardless.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He takes off his mask and reveals he was Carlos Marmol this whole time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Born in Illinois but I grew up in Wisconsin and only moved to Chicago 4 years ago. I don't even really hate the Brewers mostly because they really haven't been much of a rival and were a close parallel to the Cubs for a long time (we were both bad). My resentment is growing up a Chicago sports fan in small town Wisconsin and having to endlessly put up with smug Packers fans who are just now realizing they have a baseball team.

I consider Wisconsin my home state and fully embrace the cheese/beer stereotypes and so should you.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Tyler Chatwood Revenge Game

I honestly don’t know whether he can actually be “fixed”, or if it’s just an unfortunate sunk cost? I guess they have an off season to try and adjust his approach.

I also just hope that Yu Darvish can come back and be somewhat near his pre-2017 self.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think Darvish has a good year in him still, if he can stay healthy. I’m pretty confident that chatwood just sucks now though.

But who knows, I’ve been wrong before.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

I put in effort when it’s warranted but when my object is to make cubsposters upset it requires none at all

As any cubsposter could tell you lol

It's all good, if nothing else your gimmick is consistent and I like it. There was a Cardinals poster a few years ago: snef, I think? He had a similar shitpost style that I honestly miss because it also made me laugh a lot.

At any rate I spent six hours locked in a room with staff lawyers today who didn't understand how email searches work and were indignant that I wasn't a wizard who could snap my fingers and make emails from 10 years ago that we've long since deleted materialize out of thin air, so the Cubs losing today was honestly little more than a blip on my radar. I'm sure I'll be more outraged after I have a normal work day tomorrow and then have to come home and watch the Cubs get thrashed by the Rockies.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Today was my first game at Wrigley. It was cool that Maddon was in on the whole Maximum Chaosball mindset. Baez, too, for hacking strikeouts when he was the tying (winning? i don't remember) run. Rizzo's homer was loving beautiful. I mean that. It was a thing of beauty.

As a third party observer, the respective fandoms were decent until the 8th, at which point every Brewers fan in the upper deck decided to stand. But whatever, I just stood up, too. Quality booing for Braun, Hader, and Murphy. Dueling MVP chants for Baez and Yelich. Didn't get anything fancy, just a good hot dog and some nachos and a Goose Island.

10/10 would recommend Wrigley Chaosball. (Maybe would not recommend non-Chaos as the seats are loving expensive and The Troughs are still somehow a thing that exist.)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When I lived there I'd say Wisconsin folks were 50% Cubs fans. This might have been because part of the state (like La Crosse where I was) didn't get the Brewers games but did get WGN.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i believe that tyler chatwood could be more deceptive if he altered his delivery mechanics, i've provided some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

The Troughs are still somehow a thing that exist

The troughs are good.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Born in Illinois but I grew up in Wisconsin and only moved to Chicago 4 years ago. I don't even really hate the Brewers mostly because they really haven't been much of a rival and were a close parallel to the Cubs for a long time (we were both bad). My resentment is growing up a Chicago sports fan in small town Wisconsin and having to endlessly put up with smug Packers fans who are just now realizing they have a baseball team.

I consider Wisconsin my home state and fully embrace the cheese/beer stereotypes and so should you.

I've never met a non nihilistic Packers fan either. Everyone just holds their breath for the collapse to happen.

But yeah I really miss good cheddar cheese and bars that serve more than 3 beers. The place I moved to is supposed to be more queer friendly or whatever but honestly my wife and I get just as many dirty looks for holding hands in public as we did in Wisconsin. It's too bad I'd have to take a 70k pay cut to move home ☹️

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Niwrad posted:

The troughs are good.

Not when you're trans.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Niwrad posted:

When I lived there I'd say Wisconsin folks were 50% Cubs fans. This might have been because part of the state (like La Crosse where I was) didn't get the Brewers games but did get WGN.

Yeah that's what I meant. Places like LaCrosse or Prairie du Chien may as well be the hinterlands and historically the Cubs have better media reach there. LaCrosse gets Packers games blacked out if the Vikings are on even, lol.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

The troughs are good.

I don't think this has ever been a true statement.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rickiep00h posted:

Not when you're trans.

Condolences friend. The ladies stalls with huge gaps around the doors are equally stressful for similar reasons.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Imagine caring about Ryan Braun lmao

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hot Diggity! posted:

Imagine caring about Ryan Braun lmao

I mean, disliking him is totally understandable. He did falsely accuse someone of antisemitism to avoid a steroids suspension. What I don't get is still being super mad about it 6 years later. I don't think much about him at all and he'll be retired at the end of his contract.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This can't happen in your newfangled urinals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7w24-J9aWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

This can't happen in your newfangled urinals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7w24-J9aWA

You're making GalacticAcid's case about stupid Cubs fans...

• Locked thread