Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Goddammit, both Game 163s are on ESPN? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Maybe I'm overly optimistic and I admit that saying they could be the best rotation is dumb. But I feel like people are vastly underrating Darvish. He's a really good pitcher.

Oh, gently caress off, you were one of the people crying and moaning that the Cubs didn't spend that money on Arrieta.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Weakest in the nation, I believe.

If memory serves, first-offense OWI in Wisconsin is still not a criminal offense, but merely an ordinance violation. They still yank your license for like six months and you pay a bucketload of money, but it doesn't actually count as a criminal charge, which boggles my mind.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

He earned every lash tonight. During the regular season he got too much poo poo but the decisions he made in game 3 are indefensible.

ESPN already has a semi-hit-piece up on Severino, saying he didn't start even playing catch until 15 minutes before first pitch, and also saying that he showed up to the ballpark like 20 minutes before gametime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMidnight posted:

If Clemons, Bonds and Sosa aren't in by now they are never getting in.

I was going to say that if Clemens isn't in, then there's no loving way Pettite gets in, especially not first-ballot. Didn't he get popped for HGH, say he was very, very sorry, then get popped again?

Edit: Also, :lol: at the idea of Ryan Dempster being on a HOF ballot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AkumaHokoru posted:

he likely has a team he wants to go to that isn't the cubs

Not impossible, he's still reportedly very sore about the service time fuckery. Wouldn't be shocked if he wants to test the market.

That said, the report comes from Dave Kaplan, who, along with the rest of the Tribune writers, lost almost all access to the Cubs when the Tribune / WGN were sold. Now that he's with ESPN Radio, anything he reports is coming straight from Theo Epstein's PR machine.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 10, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chilihead posted:

Speaking of which, if the Cubs wanted to trade Heyward back to the Braves, how much salary would they have to eat? Asking for a friend.

Seriously speaking, almost everything. Heyward is signed through 2023, with a no-trade clause, and his only opt-out is after this year ... which is never going to happen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tribune writers (not just the chucklefucks like Rosenbloom) are beating the drums hard for the Cubs to trade Schwarber for pitching, so we can rest assured that ... something will happen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Does Schwarber even really have that much value to people who aren't insane Cubs homers? Sure he bounced back from last year but he only managed a pathetic 26 dingers and a .238 average. 1.5 bWAR ain't so hot either. Maybe an AL team throws us a bone with an eye towards making him a DH? Even then though.

He had a wild two months to start the season because of his arm (people here were justifiably wilding out because of his throws to home) but then he got fat again and predictably fell off a cliff. He either does not have the ability or the willingness to keep slim, which is why his destiny has always been as a DH.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. So far the only guys to actually live up to that are Bryant and kinda Contreras last year but then his 2018 happened.

It's pretty much tradition for Cubs prospects to bomb, so I expect Bryant to get eaten by wolverines this winter or some poo poo. His shoulder is clearly wrecked.

Popete posted:

You're not gonna like this but, the Cubs are young and will improve. Seriously.

They're not old, but they're not young, either. Their average age is like 28.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skin infections can be a weird thing. I spent like 13 days in the hospital back in June / July because an injection site of my blood thinner got wildly infected, developed an abscess and required surgery. (Admittedly the last week or so of that stay was because the antibiotic they were giving to me was causing kidney failure.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

According to Cubs twitter Girardi wants to come home so he's just biding his time until Maddon's contract runs out next season so he can manage the Cubs.

:shepicide:

Girardi and Epstein sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basticle posted:

Wait I realize I'm only a casual fan but when the gently caress did Scioscia retire?

It was reported around July or August that he was resigning. Then, after the leak, he said he had made no decisions about his future. But it was rather patently clear that Billy Eppler wanted his own guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Albert Belle was the nutjob who had Jason Grimsley crawl through the ceiling or whatever to retrieve his corked bats before they could be examined, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, this is delightful. I'm watching the WS but this will certainly rock me to sleep tonight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

weird trivia: big time MVP 05 slugger John Dowd briefly served as Donald Trump's lawyer

And he took down Pete Rose, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

That game has ruined my Saturday I slept for poo poo and everything I wanted to do today I've not done.

Well, almost time for the next game in a few hours!

I fell asleep in my recliner for a few hours, woke up and the game was still going. Then I actually went to bed and I crashed for another nine.

BRING ON MORE CHAOSBALL

• Locked thread