Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Clearly 162 games is not a larger enough sample size to effectively determine the best teams, year round baseball is the only solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If it's the Cubs or Brewers eliminated in a WC game that's even harsher cause they have the top two records in the NL.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is one of those days where you reflect back on all the close games your team "should" have won and it's insane how it all comes down to game 163. Like after all this time we still couldn't get a decisive division winner.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So my friend from Wisconsin who is a Brewers fan is in town and we went to the game at Wrigley on Friday. He just bought 2 tickets for tomorrows game and I got the go ahead from work to take the day off and he is skipping the first day of his work conference.

:getin:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

That's a good friend.

We played baseball together in High School, we'll probably never speak to each other again after tomorrow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll be going to the game and likely not having a good time as I reduce to a puddle of anxiety!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Aaaand I've got my ticket for tomorrow. Popete will be joining me!

Looking forward to 4 straight years of being in the stands when the Cubs' season ends. :toot:

:respek:

Really looking forward to this, last post season game we went to together was 2016 NLDS vs the Giants and we trounced Jeff Samardzija.

As a Wisconsin ex-pat it was particularly hard to go to today's game and having to deal with annoying Brewers fans who just learned half their teams players names within the past month. It brought back flashbacks of growing up as a Chicago sports fan in Wisconsin during the era of Favre/Rodgers. I'm half expecting the Brewers to fail to sell out their home games due to the Packers being in season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jit bull transpile posted:

I really don't get Cubs resentment toward the Brewers. They weren't even in your league until the end of the 90s and this is the first year they've been properly good since the league switch. But I guess you see the whole state through stereotype filters or something.

Born in Illinois but I grew up in Wisconsin and only moved to Chicago 4 years ago. I don't even really hate the Brewers mostly because they really haven't been much of a rival and were a close parallel to the Cubs for a long time (we were both bad). My resentment is growing up a Chicago sports fan in small town Wisconsin and having to endlessly put up with smug Packers fans who are just now realizing they have a baseball team.

I consider Wisconsin my home state and fully embrace the cheese/beer stereotypes and so should you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

The only problem I have with the Brewers is that they set up their stadium parking lot in a way thatWisconsin seems to encourage drunk driving.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

To be fair there is nothing else to do there

Were I grew up in Wisconsin, high school weekends included such fun activities as "Booze Crusing" and "Coon Bashing".

Wisconsin is great, primarily Madison though. Up north by the UP is cool too.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What?

They had 42,000 at Miller Park for the season finale against the Tigers and 78,000 at Lambeau against the Bills at the same time last Sunday.

This was a mostly sarcastic statement, but Wisconsin is by far a football state and when the Packers are playing well and Aaron Rodgers isn't injured it's basically all you'll hear about.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Carl Edwards didn't even make the Cubs playoff roster.

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1047149557799432192

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol the Dodgers made an internal list ranking individual employees level of criminality.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh weird, all the rank 5 criminals are listed as "coffee boys".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rockies would be cool with me if the Cubs get bumped. Dodgers I'm pretty neutral, same with Braves.

A's all the way baby.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fart

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Brewers owner Mark Antansio founder of Crescent Capitol Group which makes it's money off of high interest debt and distressed securities such as those that caused the 2008 financial crisis.

Every owner is poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Because that's a thing people made up about Chili Davis, I have not seen anything from him saying he want's hitters to hit more ground balls because that is of course absurd.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Read up on his time in Boston. Read the comments from Joe (who specifically said he wanted to get back to traditional hitting of getting on top of the ball) and others when they brought him on. There was a huge emphasis on how teams trying to hit homers were bad. He complained about analytics when it came to hitting. This is just one of many.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/former-red-sox-hitting-coach-chili-davis-responds-john-henrys-criticism

I'm assuming this is the part of that article you're referring too?

Chili Davis posted:

"Well, I don't know if I can teach Dustin Pedroia launch angle, or Christian Vazquez, launch angle," he said. "I don't know if that's going to help them or hurt them. I think I worked with my hitters from what works best for them. We try to add to that. The launch angle thing is not something I'm opposed to, but if you're not a home run hitter, why would you be hitting fly balls? You're just going to make outs."

Because I %100 agree with Chili Davis. Trying to teach a guy with limited power to launch every ball into the air is gonna lead to a whole lot of nothing, you do not want Pedroia and Vazquez trying to get more underneath the ball. The whole launch angle "revolution" is really just another term for power hitters.

This is definitely not him saying he wants his guys to hit more ground balls.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying Chili Davis is blameless in all of this. But to act like he showed up and told everyone to stop hitting homeruns and then all the hitters just went "Ok sure Chili!" is absurd. It's more likely this team which is full of very young players with limited major league experience are finally running into league adjustments in how they are pitched to. I would expect a bounce back next year for most of these guys and if that isn't the case then you can start to panic about busts and bad coaching.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

You don't think it's a little weird that the team that fired him last season saw huge jumps this season and a bunch of young guys develop? That the Cubs saw the exact opposite result? I don't think hitting coaches are the end all but this is quite the coincidence. Especially after the Cubs made a big stink about changing their approach at the plate to a more traditional one and how the Red Sox trashed Chili for his outdated philosophy.

Like I said I don't think he's blameless but I also haven't seen anything he's said that really jumps out as flawed or wrong. So it's sort of difficult to say if he is really pushing hitters to do something they aren't comfortable doing. Most quotes from him say he thinks hitters should do what works best for them, if they're a contact or power hitter.

I could see him getting canned because of optics at this point, but I'm not convinced he's the root cause of the Cubs regression this year. Either way I don't care what happens that much, but it just feels like an easy scapegoat to say "This is Chilis fault for telling everyone to suck at hitting".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

It's a good thing literally nobody is forcing you to go in them, isn't it?

Team threads are bad because it means the rest of SAS doesn't get to hear about how everyone involved with the Cubs should be fired and their families executed after every loss.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day, keep or fire Chili Davis, I just want the feast or famine to end.

I know Popete and others talk about it being due to youth and such, but how many seasons does it take before someone can be written off?

More than one, this is the first year the Cubs offense has really regressed.

Schwarber, Almora, Happ, Baez all are under 26. Contreras, Bryant are 26.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not GDT

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Feel free to contribute and post about your team.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like Malort, it's not something you drink a lot of but doing a shot every know and then isn't bad, it's just a very strong herbal taste and the aftertaste lingers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sitting in the bleachers at a Yankees games was the one time I've been to a baseball game and had a bad time. They should just banish anyone who regularly sits in the bleachers to some prison island or New Jersey.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What about when it's the 2nd best record in the league? Or heck even the 2nd and 3rd best records in the league (2015)?

I'm not sure I'm for expanding the WC to 3 game series but the idea that it's only for teams who just barely scrape their way in isn't necessarily true.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No one is crying about anything, the WCG is exciting. We are discussing what the optimal setup would look like if you wanted the most "fair" post season format. That doesn't mean it's a better solution to eliminate divisions or have a 3 game WC series.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok so I keep seeing people talk about how Woodruff is the "Opener" for the Brewers today, but he's pitched 3 innings. Doesn't that just make him an RP who was asked to be the starter today? People want to cram the "new hotness" in so hard that it's already meaningless.

How's his launch angle looking?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've only been to one sporting event where I saw fans throw beer and food at another rival fan. I'm gonna let you guess where this was.

Yankee Stadium

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The throwing beer thing is insane to me. No way I'm gonna waste beer I want to drink and spent $9 for just to try and make someone else angry.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I understand it more if it's a celebratory thing that happens when you throw your hands up but intentionally dumping on somebody....not at all.

Even then, if something big is maybe going to happen in a game I set my beer down because I want to drink it all.

Maybe this just says more about me and my drinking habits.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Have you ever made a post in SAS that wasn't just an attempt at baiting Cubs posters?

It's either that or desperately trying to fit in as a TRUE NEW YORKER

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Ugh only 2 games today? That’s barely going to take up 10 hours of my miserable existence

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

I have a wedding to attend so I have to miss Gerrit Cole’s start :(

You got a cellphone right?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Meanwhile, today, at the Wisconsin-Nebraska game...

A "Lets go Brewers" chant broke out. I thought Wisconsin was only full of football fans :thunk:

Playing Nebraska hardly counts as a football game.

On Wisconsin

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I definitely understand the hate, but have you also considered that we have baseball’s lovable official mascot Jose Altuve?

The Yankees have Andrew McCutchen and I still hate them.

Though this did make me think. God forbid this ever happened, but how would I respond if Joey Votto ever wound up on the Cardinals/Yankees? He's probably the only non-Cub I would still end up loving.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't dislike the Astros but I'm not gonna root for a repeat winner, just isn't gonna happen.

Also gently caress Yuli Guirrel he really put a damper on my WS enthusiasm last year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Clearly the New York replay umps are just racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tom Gorman posted:

Fangraphs making a chart of illegal/criminal activity is the most Fangraphs thing I've ever seen in my life.

Someone quantify a statistic for this and add it to every player and team on BBR.

Fangraphs didn't make that chart. The Dodgers organization did...

• Locked thread