Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I would like to thank MLB for scheduling the most important game of the Cubs' season at 10AM on a Monday so that I'll be able to watch almost none of it. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SilvergunSuperman posted:

To be fair it's 1pm in the civilized world

Even if it started at 1PM my time I'd still miss the first two hours of it. :negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the game is blacked out on MLB.tv anyway.

Can we please just destroy all national broadcasters?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just saw the results, that sucks. I assume the one run was an obligatory solo home run composing all of the Cubs offense in true 2018 fashion. That or some dumb Brewers error gift run.

At least the WCG is at Wrigley so the Cubs can catch their breath instead of immediately having to jump on a plane.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That's cool, too bad that's all the Cubs could muster. Not a fan of our chances against the Brewers in a three game set even if we manage to survive the WCG.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Blake Snell finishes the AL season:

- 1st in pitcher WAR (7.4)
- 1st in ERA (1.89)
- 1st in H/9 (5.579)
- 1st in ERA+ (219)
- 2nd in WHIP to Verlander (0.974)
- 4th in K/9 (11.009)
- 6th in overall WAR

Voters are probably gonna ding him for only throwing 180 IP though. Particularly when Verlander is competitive with him in a lot of those metrics but with ~30 additional innings.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jit bull transpile posted:

I really don't get Cubs resentment toward the Brewers.

It's honestly Ryan Braun and nothing else at this point. Used to also be Garza but he's gone. Once you lose Braun I don't really have any reason to hate the Brewers beyond the usual division rivalry.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Assuming GalaticAcid would put any effort into his posting is a mistake.

Yes my glass house is very comfortable, thank you very much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

I put in effort when it’s warranted but when my object is to make cubsposters upset it requires none at all

As any cubsposter could tell you lol

It's all good, if nothing else your gimmick is consistent and I like it. There was a Cardinals poster a few years ago: snef, I think? He had a similar shitpost style that I honestly miss because it also made me laugh a lot.

At any rate I spent six hours locked in a room with staff lawyers today who didn't understand how email searches work and were indignant that I wasn't a wizard who could snap my fingers and make emails from 10 years ago that we've long since deleted materialize out of thin air, so the Cubs losing today was honestly little more than a blip on my radar. I'm sure I'll be more outraged after I have a normal work day tomorrow and then have to come home and watch the Cubs get thrashed by the Rockies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I used to go to Wisconsin Dells a lot for vacation when I was a kid. Haven't been there in close to 15 years but I remember it was pretty chill.

That's my Wisconsin story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just loving :lol: if it turns out CJ needs TJS at this point.

Abolish spin rate, it's killing pitchers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Closing down the cubs thread was genius because now we have to meltdown in public and the crowd is getting one hell of a show.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

lol the Dodgers made an internal list ranking individual employees level of criminality.

And fully 1/3rd of those listed rated as 5/5 - "Criminal; oversees the operation - people and money"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alternatively catapult all national broadcast teams into the sun and just have the local guys do. Trade off between teams' broadcast teams based on home/away. It would inject a bit of homerism into the commentary, sure, but that might actually make the commentary interesting so who gives a poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Was there a single Red Sox vs Yankees game that wasn't nationally televised this season?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

How about we just throw both local teams in a 4-6 man booth and then let them get bitter and nasty through the series?

If it results in more broadcasters getting booted for throwing chairs then sign me up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

I want the Yankees to lose for the sole reason of ESPN and Fox not being able to jack off over another Red Sox/ Yankees series

Barring the Cubs going on some kind of miracle EYBS sweep I would love for the WS to be, like, Rockies vs A's just to piss off ESPN.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well that sucks.

...That's the extent of my meltdown. I don't really have the energy anymore and, honestly, I'm kinda glad the season is over. Cubs have been really stressful for me and it'll be nice to watch the post season as a bystander.

Go the A's. Also go the Dodgers because my roommate is still a Dodgers fan and has never seen the Dodgers win it all in his lifetime. :toot:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I admit that my rooting for the A's is entirely self interested because I live like ~45 minutes from O.Co stadium and it would be cool to go to a postseason game of any type, as I've never gotten the chance to do so in my life.

Also Matt Chapman is cool.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not that I wasn't already under any illusions as to the political leanings of Cubs ownership, but lol:

quote:

CUBS OWNERS are actively supporting Brett Kavanaugh through their 45Committee, a nonprofit closely associated with the Ricketts family. The group has spent $650,000 funding a one-minute TV ad that calls attention to Kavanaugh and his “honor, integrity and strong moral character.” The ad features female friends and former classmates of Kavanaugh’s, including Sara Fagan, a White House aide to former President George W. Bush, and podcaster Laura Cox Kaplan.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

I know I and a lot of others give Cubs posters a lot of flak (and to be fair, they've earned a lot of it), but this has been an extremely disappointing season for the Chicago Cubs. As someone who is now living it, watching your window get shortened or your peak lessened because of incompetence and players who, in theory, should be improving since they are so young are instead regressing is very frustrating. I watched Carlos Correa and George Springer go through that this year and it kind of sucks. You start to wonder, "Is this it? Have they already peaked as players?"

The Cubs dealt with even more of that.

Yeah, this gets to the heart of what really depresses me most about the season. Almost all our big signings being disappointments or injured sucks, and you can blame some under performance on the sheer number of consecutive games with no off days the Cubs had to finish the season with, but even setting all that aside pretty much the entire core besides Javy either stalled out or took a huge step back. That said baseball is baseball so they could all very well bounce back next year for no discernible reason.

Niwrad posted:

If the Cubs pick up Hamels option, they should have the best starting staff in the NL (maybe baseball) next season.

Hamels faded down the stretch after the adrenaline of his signing wore off and will be another year older, Lester will be another year old, Darvish will still be a huge potential injury question mark, and Chatwood is still on the books and not going anywhere no matter how much we want him to. Not sure where you're getting this best staff in baseball vibe.

Like we did this song and dance to start this season, and we all saw how it turned out. This starting staff has way too many question marks to be declared anything beyond a :rolldice:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Cubs don't have a single starter who's at the caliber of Bauer, Kluber, Kershaw, Buehler, Cole, or Verlander, and those are only the guys I can remember off the top of my head from those teams.

Don't get me wrong Hendricks is really cool and good and I like his shtick, but he suffers from the Keuchel problem of needing to have perfect command or he gets lit the gently caress up, and that's hard to do for a full season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

As for Chatwood, I can't fathom he's on the roster next year. Maybe the Cubs move him to a team willing to take a flyer on the guy and pick up most of the remaining contract. Otherwise a straight DFA makes sense. He just doesn't belong in the majors.

lmao nobody is taking any of Chatwood's contract, particularly if the Cubs pick up Hamels' option which signals they have no use for Chatwood and remove any leverage they might have (which is next to none). Why would anybody take a flyer on him after a historically bad season, particularly when they'd have to pay actual money for said flyer? Chatwood is still owed about $26m through the next two years and the Cubs aren't going to just eat that. They're going to continue to try to fix him and justify the sunk cost even if it means he becomes our next awful bullpen guy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

:catstare:
Also, Quintana's last 350 innings have been extremely average.

Christ I forgot about Quintana. What a trade. Eloy's 50 HR season next year paired with Cease coming up in September and looking like the next Buehler is going to be quite the dagger.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think regardless of how much of this is Chili's fault or not he's going to have to be replaced for optics. The Cubs made a big deal of getting a new hitting coach and almost the entire offense promptly stepped backwards. That's probably not Chili's fault for the most part, but when your hitters fail the hitting coach is the fall guy. I'd be very surprised if he's retained.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Angry Grimace posted:

They'd be happy to tell a dude who won them their first title in a billion years to hit the bricks because he only won 95 games and his team didn't hit against their opponent's best pitcher in a single game.

Incorrect, I want him to hit the bricks because he handled the abuse allegations against Russell like a colossally ignorant piece of poo poo. That he's bad at bullpens is a secondary concern at this point.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Stand down Cubs fans:

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1047552776446861312

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

The Yankees FO is good at scouting other teams' systems, clearly. I just don't think the team would really get too hung up on the price for Gray if they can get any reasonable return back at this point.

It's not to late for us to pull of the trade that would break both fanbases' collective brains.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Baseball's a grind, for a player and a fan.

The ESPN guys threw out yesterday that counting these last two games the Cubs finished the season having played 37 games in 39 days or something insane like that. Ricketts should stop shoveling money into their hotels and pro rapist for the supreme court commercials and into building a giant retractable dome over the neighborhood or invest in forcefield technology or something because these weather postponements are only going to get worse as we march closer to climate change annihilation and by season's end the players looked worn down to the bone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

Late to the discussion but just :laffo: at the Cubs having the best rotation in baseball.

To be fair that spicy hot take came from Niwrad who is also of the opinion that Chili Davis brainwashed the entire Cubs roster except Javy I guess to intentionally hit less home runs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bird in a Blender posted:

Addison Russel got a 40 day suspension from MLB.

So is that it then? 40 game slap on the wrist, investigation is over? Way to take a firm stance on abuse of women at this critical period in our nation, MLB.

Also I thought the standard DV suspension was for 80 games?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

there is no standard DV suspension, it is a case by case basis

so the fact that Osuna got 80 should tell you he did something pretty awful

Yeah fair enough. For some reason I had it in my head that Chapman also got 80 but then I checked and he actually only got 30. :shrug:

It'd be cool if the Cubs traded or cut him but I have a bad feeling it's going to be silence all off season until they give him his arb contract and release a "well see he's served his time and done everything MLB has told him to do so he deserves another chance." statement.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/1047595120059662337

e. Russell also released a statement:

quote:

“After gaining a full understanding of the situation I have concluded it’s in the best interest of my family to accept MLB’s proposed resolution of this matter,” Russell said in a statement released by his attorney, Kathleen T. Zellner.

”I wish my ex-wife well and hope we can live in peace for the benefit of our child.”

So still nothing even really approaching an admission of guilt. Please get rid of this piece of poo poo immediately, Theo.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 3, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Theo is mad as hell in this presser and it's pretty great imo, but like I said I don't think the Cubs can really afford to not fire Chili after such an offensive downturn, even if it really isn't his fault. When things go wrong somebody always has to be the scapegoat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Maybe you were thinking of Alex Reyes, who got suspended for 80 games right around the same time.

For testing positive for weed.

Never let it be said MLB isn't 100% sure where it's priorities lie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What a poo poo start to the postseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/1047366530760159232

I mean hey why not, he ended up being the best pitcher out of our pen by a goddamn mile.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

So I thought I'd do a LETS PLAY with OUT OF THE PARK BASEBALL again this fall, last time it was fun.

First, we need to decide how we want to play. We can do one one of the following:

1. Be a Player. You guys come up with players and I inject them into the game. Then, we watch as their careers blossom or wet fart or something in between. This is what we did last year.

2. Crowdmanage a contemporary MLB team. We'll take over as the GM of a team starting in 2019 and generally manage it democratically. I figure we'll probably get through 7-10 seasons before we lose interest.

3. Crowdmanage an historical team. We'll take over as the GM of some team at some point in MLB history and generally manage it democratically again for probably 7-10 seasons.

If you want to participate and have a preference between these three please say so. I'm also open to other suggestions of how to play. Also once this is decided I'll excuse us from the actual base ball thread and over to a private thread for cool kids.

I vote Be a Player, but with the dual caveats that a) the player has to be funny and/or interesting, and b) no Mike Trout supermen. If that's too time consuming to enforce, then go with Crowdmanage a contemporary MLB team.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All y'all crying about the WCG being a chaotic clusterfuck because it knocked out a team(s) you liked are babies. The one game play in WCG format owns and adds some much needed drama to the whole proceeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

The fact that they won't do poo poo for minor leaguers is the most egregious part for me.

I'll try to find it so I can link it again, but there was an interview with Marvin Miller where he talked about how one of the biggest hurdles to folding in MiLB players is resistance from those players themselves. Similarly to how you'll find poor renters who are opposed to rent control because ~any day now~ they're going to hit it big and then they'll be the rich landlord, a lot of MiLB players aren't interested in improving their own lot because ~any day now~ they're going to break out and get called up and make hundreds of millions, money which may be jeopardized if suddenly owners have to divert money to paying minor leaguers a decent wage.

• Locked thread