Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/who-could-pull-off-a-jose-bautista-level-bat-flip-in-the-2018-postseason/c-296370498

I'm ready...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Has anybody looked at where Khris Davis stands in the all-important HR through x number of career PA stat? Not to jinx him but he's been remarkably consistent at playing regularly.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sorry for joking about stepping on Yelich's ankle in the GDT but, in all seriousness, there's no stopping this bad man if he's actually playing. I'm sure Brewers fans don't appreciate the joke.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Peter Angelos is looking pretty smart right about now, too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't believe they keep letting Smoltz do national games even though he actively hates the sport and isn't shy to let the viewer know.

The last game I heard him work on, he was stumbling over every other word and just seemed to hate being there.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm glad they're looking into this.

Outside of what looks like a very good investigation into some really awful human trafficking, what always seemed like complete cognitive dissonance to me was MLB owners voting for and continuing to support an administration that wants to do anything it can to stymie any and all immigration into the US. This could seriously bite baseball in the rear end after they spent a very long time getting on the same page with OFAC.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

Without really knowing the specifics of this type of law, I'm having trouble figuring out my moral stance on it. Like, the reason teams have to deal with human traffickers is because international players, Cubans specifically, are restricted from leaving the country due to laws that are pretty much bullshit. I guess the real problem is that when teams are throwing this much money at a criminal enterprise, it subsidizes the truly egregious poo poo they do. Like, how many guns did Puig's process buy?

I guess what I'm saying is the laws on the books seem to encourage this type of activity and give very bad criminal organizations a huge revenue opportunity.

I'm pretty sure we're seeing more players than ever leave Cuba now that Cuba ended their travel restrictions. The worst poo poo was during the restrictions.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm sure the Cubs collapsing had nothing to do with only having one day off since August 21st and having to play back-to-back winner-take-all games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

lol they played those back to back games at home. Their opponent played 3 games in 3 different time zones in 3 days

Sometimes you just get beat

Everybody's tired this time of year but there's certainly a difference in getting worn down after over a month of constant games (or at least having to get ready for games every day) vs the Rockies, who are a good team, but also got every Thursday off in September.

There's no way to prove there's a connection but it seems a lot more likely that people got tired and their best player was dealing with persistent injuries than the idea that a manager or coach made everybody bad at hitting in the course of a few weeks.

AsInHowe posted:

Excited for an off-season free of the whiniest parts of the Cubs fan base.

I see what you did there.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just so we can all laugh at something together: I don't recall anyone discussing John Smoltz saying that pitchers shouldn't be MVPs because they get their own award. He would, however, make an exception for a closer. :lol:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

And give the people of Cobb County their tax money back for unnecessarily building a new stadium when the old one was perfectly fine, but people didn't like that Turner Field was in a historically black neighborhood.

It used to cost $10 to park in that neighborhood for an average game.

In spite of the bullshit, I want to go to a world series game, so go Braves.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/status/1047366530760159232

I mean hey why not, he ended up being the best pitcher out of our pen by a goddamn mile.

I wonder if there's a divide in the clubhouse among the guys who have been with the Cubs for a while and other guys.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

So I thought I'd do a LETS PLAY with OUT OF THE PARK BASEBALL again this fall, last time it was fun.

First, we need to decide how we want to play. We can do one one of the following:

1. Be a Player. You guys come up with players and I inject them into the game. Then, we watch as their careers blossom or wet fart or something in between. This is what we did last year.

2. Crowdmanage a contemporary MLB team. We'll take over as the GM of a team starting in 2019 and generally manage it democratically. I figure we'll probably get through 7-10 seasons before we lose interest.

3. Crowdmanage an historical team. We'll take over as the GM of some team at some point in MLB history and generally manage it democratically again for probably 7-10 seasons.

If you want to participate and have a preference between these three please say so. I'm also open to other suggestions of how to play. Also once this is decided I'll excuse us from the actual base ball thread and over to a private thread for cool kids.

I vote

Please do this

Popete posted:

I like Malort, it's not something you drink a lot of but doing a shot every know and then isn't bad, it's just a very strong herbal taste and the aftertaste lingers.

I can see how it could be an acquired taste. It tastes like grass clippings to me, though.

I like Old Style in small quantities. I assume most people only like it after large quantities of other alcohol, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

But that speech

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jim Bowden is going to start tweeting about how eager teams are to give Heyeard all the money and it’s going to turn out his source is Ricketts.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RIP you beautiful creature.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MLBOO N/V Playoffs: “F**ck that motherf***er”

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/10/17/christian-yelich-on-manny-machado-it-was-a-dirty-play-by-a-dirty-player/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

I think that manny machado guy might be a jerk

He’s just signaling to the Cubs that he’s ready to sign ASAP.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

*when you hear the thread talking about bad contracts*

Who's this skinny nerd?

:P

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Tampa's current projected payroll for 2019 is $8M? Seriously?

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/2019/

That doesn't include arbitration. The ~8M guaranteed is just for Kiermeyer. They have 4 arb eligible players. Nobody else has an extension. That's crazy but I'm guessing it's to set the team up for a potential sale or maybe outside investment huddled around the new stadium deal.

Also, the money above $8M is taken from Kiermeyer's signing bonus, which sites like Spotrac split over the life of the contract but it's already paid since it's a "signing" bonus. It looks like they also may or may not be paying some deferred salary to Longo but I'm not sure why that's not included in the total.

Anyway, welcome to Tampa, Bryce Harper.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 19, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

The Astros window has closed and what they need to do is lay the groundwork for the future.

It's time to ruthlessly cut payroll and start a real rebuilding effort from the ground up. This will involve some painful moves, such as sending Gerrit Cole back to Pittsburgh, and sending Alex Bregman to Pittsburgh, and sending José Altuve to Pittsburgh, and possibly some more outside the box moves like sending Verlander and Correa to Pittsburgh.

I heard they're already on the phone with the Giants to talk about Verlander.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Kyle Schwarber missed an entire year in 2016. Had a very rough start to 2017, but had a solid 2nd half. He had a good but not great 2018.

He is 25 and I would expect him to improve in 2019. I'm still pretty bullish on Schwarber because he's got tons of power and a fairly good eye for the strikezone. His defense is bad, but playable at least.

This is absolutely a fine season for a 2nd year player who only spent 1 calendar year as a full time minor league player.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

This but Contreras. He was fantastic to start the year so I can only assume he was worn down/injured/both because his power completely evaporated in the second half. I'm pretty bullish on him though particularly if the Cubs can pick up a half-way decent backup catcher to spot him a couple times a week.

I really hope they can get some veteran regular to be around. I wonder if he was going through mental fatigue since he was the only catcher worth a drat and didn't really have a peer on the team, as far as position is concerned.

I wonder what Robinson Chirinos is like? He's also Venezuelan and started his career in the Cubs' minor leagues but went to the Rays in the Garza deal. He got a cup of coffee with the Rays in '11 so he played for Maddon briefly. It looks like he'll be a free agent. He had a great 2017 but fell back to earth this season as a starter. At 34 I wonder if he'd welcome the chance to play somewhat often on a winning team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So do we think Mookie is gonna get some burn at 2nd base? I'm not sure it's ideal to move the best defensive right fielder in the world but it would be interesting.

I assume the skills that make him amazing at playing right field will make him an acceptable second baseman, as long as he's not booting everything or throwing balls into the dugout. He even gets to be on the same side of the diamond, which must be at least a little bit helpful.

What's funny is he will be the second second baseman in the playoffs who isn't at his natural position and the other guy (Shaw) used to play for the Red Sox.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 23, 2018

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Dozier is .255/.300/.532 in 50 PA vs Chris Sale, with 2 doubles and 3 dingers, so that's why he's leading off

The Twins owned Sale for a little while and Dozier was a big part of it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vernacular posted:

My only beef is Enrique (hot garbage atm) in there over Cody, who at least has had some big hits this postseason.

A bit surprised that Dave actually held Muncy out, but pleased as well because he hasn't been that great and Dozier seems to have been seeing the ball well recently.

Looks like he didn't bat a ton vs. LHP which may be why he had a 141 wRC+ against them? I just don't think Austin Barnes is the guy you want starting in the world series give the ability of the Red Sox offense.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

howe_sam posted:

It also helps that Mookie was a second baseman coming up through the Red Sox organization, takes regular infield reps during warmups, and played a few innings at second this season when Kinsler got hurt and the Sox were short handed.

Well, that too. I assume Pedroia was the reason they moved him to right field.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Good David J. Roth piece about the legend of John Smoltz and the iron.

What I love about this story is how it will forever be associated with Smoltz even by people who know it's untrue. It's like when somebody makes up something about a friend and you all just keep repeating it, even when you're sure it's not true, just to drive him crazy.

"...sounds like the defense of a guy who irons his shirts while wearing them..." should always be associated with Smoltz, imo, even though we're pretty sure it didn't happen.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Congrats to the Red Sox and thank you for descending from whatever mountain you've been on to play baseball against mere mortals for a few games.

Now, it's time for me to focus on the most important football game in the history of my home state.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401012326

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's amazing how I feel literally no emotion in response to this series. There were many interesting things that happened and I'm happy for Steve Pearce after being long underappreciated, but I take nothing away from this series and it feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I... I do not understand how someones brain could work like this. The college basketball product has been dogshit for like over a decade now.

It's not very good which makes it highly volatile and exciting for some people. Also, much like other college sports, the fandom is extremely regional, even within states.

In conclusion, gently caress Louisville and gently caress Duke.

• Locked thread