Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm gonna be very superficial and lame and say that building up to the reveal of the Dalek's casing and having it look like that was very underwhelming. It's one of the better Dalek stories of the new series but that's pretty damning.

Can we just have a story of three of the things being cunning pls

ed: also stop depicting them flying it looks awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It was certainly the most interesting Dalek story this year, as well as definitely being the best new years special of the revival.

I was overall ambivalent about the episode tbh. It was okay. Nothing terrible, but it wasnt excellent either. I enjoyed it well enough in the moment, but having given it a day to breathe, there wasnt anything much that is going to stick with me. They obviously saved the explosions budget for the last 20 minutes, but I didnt hate the family drama. I kind of liked the Dalek essentially building itself a Dalek cosplay, and I thought it ended up looking pretty good (although sort of reminiscent of regency dresses with the nipped in waist and big skirt) until it flew where it immediately looked doofy as gently caress, but I think thats kind of unavoidable with the basic dalek design. Am still disappointed that the Dalek didnt tell the cop how to spell dalek for his notebook. No obviously hosed up moral ("Dont take your meds kids!" "people cant be trusted to make a choice about abortion!", "immigrants cant be trusted and are monsters hiding behind friendly faces!", "Corporations are your friend and you should be loving grateful they deign to employ you, prole!"), but then again, not much of a moral or message at all except I guess "Family!".

So overall, it was fine. But I keep coming back to "I doubt I'll remember this episode in 6 months", it was more doctor who which is usually good, but there wasnt much that sticks out beyond the average episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Couple hours left to get the first BF Doctor Who story, The Sirens of Time, for free

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/12-days-of-big-finishmas-gallifrey-and-sirens

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I feel like half of Lyn's story was meant to go to Yaz and I was surprised when the Doctor's "take them to safety" meant "take them outside and ditch them instead of safely seeing them home"

I hate how they wasted Yaz this Series (Demons aside)

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Just realised that the best merchandise the BBC could produce right now is a Dalek mutant backpack.

I would buy this.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
That was pretty good, but as ever with Chibnall, there's a shitton of one liners and plot points that go nowhere that just leaves a bit of a weird proverbial aftertaste.

Like, what was the deal with that weird company with the Dalek gun in a box? There was one fast one-liner about it being blackmarket weapons, and when she was at the computer there was a brief mention of the Black Archive so I assume it's stuff from Unit that got out, but why is the blackmarket alien weapons dealer being guarded by a dorky nervous 20 year old security guard??

Piggyback lady fights the Dalek, which accomplishes....exactly nothing, because it leaves her to go into the tank. But on the way out it.....excretes wound healing juice that stops her bleeding to death from a hole in her neck? What?

Graham ran off to get peanut butter for....no reason what so ever? It's never used? I assume they wanted to have a reason for Graham and Ryan's Dad to chat, but 'Can you get some peanut butter K RIGHT GO GO GO!' is some pretty loving desperate screenwriting.

'Your dad can come along' - But doesn't everyone....y'know, hate him?

That's what frustrates me about Chibnall - even in an episode with a ton of good ideas, there's so much sloppy writing that it ruins the episode for me. Moffat and RTD could do some monumentally dumb plot points at times, but they at least all went somewhere and had a reason to exist. On a purely technical level, Chibnall's writing is sloppy as hell.

Ok, here's what I'd do;
  • Cut Ryan's dad down to just the scene in the cafe. Sidenote: that scene was a couple of loving awesome performances. Ryan and his father repairing their relationship is a whole series arc's worth of material, and it hurt the flow of the main story. There's no reason to burn through it that fast. Introduce the Dad, show the audience that he's a poo poo, maybe show just a hint that there's something redeemable there and leave it.
  • Dalek never gets the armour and piggybacks the girl right to the end.
  • Replace a tank scene with her nearly fighting off the Dalek but fails. Maybe someone gets hurt as well? Yas. Ok, so the Dalek is loving up GCHQ, takes prisoners. Yas steps in and goes all policey, get's hurt saving someone. Now the Doctor is pissed. Graham, who is probably the heart of the show at the moment, takes on trying to talk her down as his main arc of the story. Heroes lowest moment and all.
  • Ryan looks after Yas. Good chance for them to build a bit of a relationship beyond the, like, two conversations we've seen. Maybe even give a Yas who thinks she's going to die some depth, dig into what it is about her family she seems to hate so much?
  • The whole 'she's fighting it' culminates at the end with the black hole in the Tardis, which her fighting off the Dalek at a key moment. Bonus points if there's a close up of her grabbing whatshisfaces hand as music kicks in. It's a NY special, the Power of Love ending is fine. In fact, this is such an obvious ending that I suspect it was in an earlier draft, and they changed it because someone up high wanted a shot of a Dalek in a tank. I suspect that's why all the 'Human's are really stubborn' stuff came from as well..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

The BF story "The Dalek Transaction" in UNIT: Encounters just might be what you're looking for.

Yeah I thought about mentioning it but figured I'd stick with televised shows. I dug that story, particularly how the Dalek plays everybody for fools. Jubilee is also good for a (mostly) solo-Dalek story though it got talked up a bit too much before I finally heard it so I went in with too high expectations.

docbeard posted:

I thought they handled Ryan's father very well, and I particularly liked that the reason he hosed up so badly with Ryan was because he just fell apart after his wife and later his mother died (and that that didn't actually make it okay that he had hosed up with Ryan).

Yeah that was done well, and was yet another example of how Graham is basically the best and nicest person on the planet.

docbeard posted:

Here's hoping they use the delay til 2020 brainstorming storyline ideas for Yaz.

Vinylshadow posted:

I hate how they wasted Yaz this Series (Demons aside)

After somebody mentioned that Yaz actually demonstrates a lot of the talents and skills a police officer is trained to have that often DON'T get television attention (working with victims, putting people at ease, calming people down, getting relevant information etc) I've noticed it a lot more and appreciate it. But she still gets very little if any time to develop who SHE is as a person, which is disappointing given just how well Ryan and (especially) Graham have been handled. Imagine if it was Yaz who the Dalek decided to pilot and they were trying to chase her down and rescue her while she struggled to fight off the control of the Dalek?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 2, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

After somebody mentioned that Yaz actually demonstrates a lot of the talents and skills a police officer is trained to have that often DON'T get television attention (working with victims, putting people at ease, calming people down etc) I've noticed it a lot more and appreciate it. But she still gets very little if any time to develop who SHE is as a person, which is disappointing given just how well Ryan and (especially) Graham have been handled. Imagine if it was Yaz who the Dalek decided to pilot and they were trying to chase her down and rescue her while she struggled to fight off the control of the Dalek?

Yeah, I think the elements are there (and Mandip Gill is doing a great job with the material she has) but she's just constantly being, I don't know, is upstaged the word I want? Overshadowed, maybe, by the more developed story beats for, say, Ryan and Graham and their tense-at-first relationship. Being the person who is broadly there to be compassionate and patient and keep a cool head in a crisis is a great role for a character, but isn't necessarily someone it's easy to hang story beats on. She'd be almost ideal for (particularly a Davies-era) sole companion to the Doctor, but in a more crowded TARDIS, there basically needs to be more conflict (in the story sense, not necessarily that she needs to be at odds with the other regulars) involving her.

In the special, for example, after "Lyn" openly murdered two police officers with, one presumes, plenty of witnesses and CCTV coverage, Yaz could easily have been drawn into help with what would surely have been an all-hands-on-deck manhunt, which would give the Doctor some essential authority figures to shout at and maybe set up a divided loyalties situation. Possibly trite drama, but it'd be a start. Use some of those connections she has with the world (assuming she still has them, as I am given to understand that police departments frown on their officers up and disappearing without warning or explanation, but if she doesn't then that's a story too).

Chibnall's work, at its best and at its worst, seems to lean hard on the relationships between its characters either to other characters or to setting/story elements. Yaz has all the elements of being an interesting character, but she needs more of those ties.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

This episode was easily the best of the season, which sort of makes me mad.

Did they just expend all their time and budget on this and leave the rest with scraps?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pastamania posted:

Like, what was the deal with that weird company with the Dalek gun in a box? There was one fast one-liner about it being blackmarket weapons, and when she was at the computer there was a brief mention of the Black Archive so I assume it's stuff from Unit that got out, but why is the blackmarket alien weapons dealer being guarded by a dorky nervous 20 year old security guard??

It would have been funny if that company had been called "Van Statten UK" or something. But it was a bit strange how the one archaeologist guy knows that this company is dealing in black market extra-terrestrial tech like it's no big thing. You know, like that's just a thing people know exists. I know he's meant to be a guy who's a bit too invested in esoteric conspiracy theories but nonetheless, it seems like a wee bit of a jump to go from, "Believes in this obscure text that relates to his field of work," to, "By the way, the rumour is that this company hoards alien weaponry." :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would have been funny if that company had been called "Van Statten UK" or something. But it was a bit strange how the one archaeologist guy knows that this company is dealing in black market extra-terrestrial tech like it's no big thing. You know, like that's just a thing people know exists. I know he's meant to be a guy who's a bit too invested in esoteric conspiracy theories but nonetheless, it seems like a wee bit of a jump to go from, "Believes in this obscure text that relates to his field of work," to, "By the way, the rumour is that this company hoards alien weaponry." :v:

That could have just had it be in a museum nearby, or back in their head office.

Doctor: "didja find anything else in this dig site?"
Archaeology Dude : "just this freaky looking whisk, much too modern, dunno what it's doing down there"
Dramatic close up on photo, dramatic musical sting, smash cut to dalek cutting a man's hand off

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dalek outer casings should just transform to appease the grognards who focus so much of their annoyance on how they look when they fly.

Personally it's never bothered me, but I can see how the very flat ground base appearance suddenly being airborne might not appeal to some. They're hardly aerodynamic as is. That said, I didn't find the special effects of Resolution jarring at all and expected the flying Dalek to look a lot worse after reading a few comments here on how bad it looked.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Pastamania posted:

That was pretty good, but as ever with Chibnall, there's a shitton of one liners and plot points that go nowhere that just leaves a bit of a weird proverbial aftertaste.

I'm sometimes a bit nitpicky with this show but the only bit I'd really agree with you on here is the recon-Dalek letting Lyn live. None of the other things stood out to me. And with regards to Lyn and the Dalek, it's basically so we can have the scene with Ryan's dad in the climax and not have him die and to not be overly brutal to a named character in a special meant for a slightly broader audience. It seems a tad out of character for a Dalek, but I'm sure someone somewhere will write into some licensed novel or BF story why that actually makes sense as a tactic. I mean, it doesn't really matter either way because Lyn and Mitch don't really do anything in the rest of the plot.

Thinking back, I find it amusing just how unsubtle it was for a reconnaissance troop. It could have gone completely under the radar for a time when it got it's gun back and it seemed to make itself basically untraceable. (Actually, I feel that Chibnall perhaps somewhat over-egged the tracking capabilities of the TARDIS and the recon-Dalek's ability to block them. That scene was almost all just :techno: exposition.) But that the old "WE ARE THE SUPREME BEINGS"-thing drives it to make a new Dalek casing at all costs, despite not having half the required tech, and then rush into sending the signal ASAP felt completely in character.

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 3, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AndyElusive posted:

Dalek outer casings should just transform to appease the grognards who focus so much of their annoyance on how they look when they fly.

Personally it's never bothered me, but I can see how the very flat ground base appearance suddenly being airborne might not appeal to some. They're hardly aerodynamic as is. That said, I didn't find the special effects of Resolution jarring at all and expected the flying Dalek to look a lot worse after reading a few comments here on how bad it looked.

I loved that the Daleks are "aerodynamic". It just goes to reinforce how wrong a Dalek is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

Thinking back, I find it amusing just how unsubtle it was for a reconnaissance troop. It could have gone completely under the radar for a time when it got it's gun back and it seemed to make itself basically untraceable. (Actually, I feel that Chibnall perhaps somewhat over-egged the tracking capabilities of the TARDIS and the recon-Dalek's ability to block them. That scene was almost all just :techno: exposition.) But that the old "WE ARE THE SUPREME BEINGS"-thing drives it to make a new Dalek casing at all costs, despite not having half the required tech, and then rush into sending the signal ASAP felt completely in character.

Yeah, I mean it's pretty loving great that THIS was considered a "subtle" Dalek. It was able to hold off just killing the gently caress out of EVERYTHING for like 35 minutes and the other Daleks are probably absolutely amazed about that (and also deeply disgusted and they want to exterminate it too).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I mean it's pretty loving great that THIS was considered a "subtle" Dalek. It was able to hold off just killing the gently caress out of EVERYTHING for like 35 minutes and the other Daleks are probably absolutely amazed about that (and also deeply disgusted and they want to exterminate it too).

Well, clearly it's gone native.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I think the elements are there (and Mandip Gill is doing a great job with the material she has) but she's just constantly being, I don't know, is upstaged the word I want? Overshadowed, maybe, by the more developed story beats for, say, Ryan and Graham and their tense-at-first relationship. Being the person who is broadly there to be compassionate and patient and keep a cool head in a crisis is a great role for a character, but isn't necessarily someone it's easy to hang story beats on. She'd be almost ideal for (particularly a Davies-era) sole companion to the Doctor, but in a more crowded TARDIS, there basically needs to be more conflict (in the story sense, not necessarily that she needs to be at odds with the other regulars) involving her.

The crowded but friendly dynamic of the TARDIS crew is one of the issues, yeah. It worked with Barbara, Ian and Susan, because there was that conflict between themselves and the Doctor - with Susan being a go-between - which even when they resolved it there was still a different dynamic at work. It can work, they just need to rejig it a bit for the current crew.

As is it, Yaz is basically the Nyssa of the crew - she's present and useful, but basically given no focus because they don't really know what to do with her. Even more so when the focus has been primarily the relationship between Graham and Ryan over Grace's death - which she's distanced from. And even when the episode is supposed to focus on Yaz it tends to be about her family more than her.

I just hope in the next series they do something more with her. :shrug:

Unrelated, the Series 11 soundtrack is coming out the 11th of this month :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pesky Splinter posted:

But no season 10 yet! :argh:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The crowded but friendly dynamic of the TARDIS crew is one of the issues, yeah. It worked with Barbara, Ian and Susan, because there was that conflict between themselves and the Doctor - with Susan being a go-between - which even when they resolved it there was still a different dynamic at work. It can work, they just need to rejig it a bit for the current crew.

As is it, Yaz is basically the Nyssa of the crew - she's present and useful, but basically given no focus because they don't really know what to do with her. Even more so when the focus has been primarily the relationship between Graham and Ryan over Grace's death - which she's distanced from. And even when the episode is supposed to focus on Yaz it tends to be about her family more than her.

I just hope in the next series they do something more with her. :shrug:

The answer is simple.

Brings Yaz's mom next season. She's currently unemployed and she could use the change of pace. :p

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ither posted:

This episode was easily the best of the season, which sort of makes me mad.

Did they just expend all their time and budget on this and leave the rest with scraps?

I kind of feel like all the scripts this season were made for Insert Doctor Here instead of Jodie and it's pretty hard to screw up "The Doctor Hates Daleks."

That being said, the Doctor finding out UNIT had been defunded and reacting with "oh come ON :mad:", for whatever reason, is when Thirteen finally clicked for me fully.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want the TARDIS crew to get increasingly larger every episode until all of Cardiff comes pouring out of it with a matching band and parade next series finale

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chokes McGee posted:

I want the TARDIS crew to get increasingly larger every episode until all of Cardiff comes pouring out of it with a matching band and parade next series finale

This, but Who companions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIGb1lfpBw

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Chokes McGee posted:

I kind of feel like all the scripts this season were made for Insert Doctor Here instead of Jodie and it's pretty hard to screw up "The Doctor Hates Daleks."

Iirc they were, first draft at least was written with no knowledge of who'd been cast. Chibs has no excuse for the episodes he wrote of course

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

As I understand it, that was literally the case.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked that for a New Year's special. It didn't lay things on quite as thick as most of the revival Christmas specials, but it had that cheesy, good times feeling.

lol at UNIT being cancelled because of Brexit.

I think it was a good idea to give the Dalek a different voice filter at the begining to make it sound a bit less ridiculous, but to bring back the Nick Briggs classic for the big confrontation. I liked Ryan's dad and the archaeologist characters.

A few complaints: the Dalek threat felt more like a bunch of strung together reverse the polarity moments than a plot. Don't introduce a token gay character and have him killed literally the next sentence. The "I guess we'll have to have a conversation" scene is groan-worthy grandpa fodder and should have been cut.

Overall, though, it was fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought the "We'll have to have a conversation! :gonk:" scene was funny, but it was also incredibly redundant considering the far superior,"What a monster..." joke immediately preceded it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the episode, it did a good job of selling the dalek as a uniquely dangerous threat and the Ryan storyline was very well done. I'm not sure those two aspects of the episode gelled together perfectly but it still worked pretty well.

Is there actually currently a dalek fleet to respond to the call? I've lost track of whether they're still around or totally dead forever this time.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

I liked that for a New Year's special. It didn't lay things on quite as thick as most of the revival Christmas specials, but it had that cheesy, good times feeling.

lol at UNIT being cancelled because of Brexit.

I think it was a good idea to give the Dalek a different voice filter at the begining to make it sound a bit less ridiculous, but to bring back the Nick Briggs classic for the big confrontation. I liked Ryan's dad and the archaeologist characters.

A few complaints: the Dalek threat felt more like a bunch of strung together reverse the polarity moments than a plot. Don't introduce a token gay character and have him killed literally the next sentence. The "I guess we'll have to have a conversation" scene is groan-worthy grandpa fodder and should have been cut.

Overall, though, it was fun.

Sorry, who was gay? Did I miss something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there actually currently a dalek fleet to respond to the call? I've lost track of whether they're still around or totally dead forever this time.

There are always Daleks

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mycomancy posted:

Sorry, who was gay? Did I miss something?

The security guard

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there actually currently a dalek fleet to respond to the call?

There is, but it's going to take 131 years to arrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cOZzxKqkjM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I love The Dalek Invasion of Earth, it’s so loving good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Did anyone else feel like the munitions compay was maybe the UNIT black archive in an earlier draft? Because it'd make a lot of sense for UNIT to have all those Dalek bits kicking around and locked up, and the archive only being protected by one brand new security guard who can't keep his mouth shut would fit with the brexit related defunding established earlier.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

I think it was a good idea to give the Dalek a different voice filter at the begining to make it sound a bit less ridiculous, but to bring back the Nick Briggs classic for the big confrontation.

I actually think it might've been the same voice filter, but either turned down or Briggs was speaking into it far differently. You can definitely hear the Classic Dalek when it starts getting shouty, so it's in there somewhere.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bicyclops posted:

Don't introduce a token gay character and have him killed literally the next sentence.

This series has been so dire that I almost forgot that this exact thing happened almost every. loving. Episode. How many times this series was a character like, "Yeah, my gay partner's loving dead, deal with it." Five? Six?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I thought the "We'll have to have a conversation! :gonk:" scene was funny, but it was also incredibly redundant considering the far superior,"What a monster..." joke immediately preceded it.

Yeah, either the bit in the TARDIS or the bit with with family would have been fine, but having both felt like a mistake that should have been caught in editing

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

This series has been so dire that I almost forgot that this exact thing happened almost every. loving. Episode. How many times this series was a character like, "Yeah, my gay partner's loving dead, deal with it." Five? Six?

This season's bounced off of me so hard that I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Yeah I think it's an unfortunate side effect of bringing back the RTD-era awesome thing of random characters in random episodes just happening to be queer, but also wanting to have a lot of dead characters - at least it feels like the body count was higher than usual this season, there was a lot of people going missing and turning out to be actually dead when I feel like usually they'd be rescuable.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I remember it happening at least twice before Resolution (the woman racer in The Ghost Monument had a dead wife and the one lady working with Robertson in Arachnids who got killed by spiders was his niece's wife) but that random gay security guard getting it not 20 seconds later was a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

On another inclusivity-related topic, I didn't realise how much I'd appreciate it being a new years special rather than a christmas special until I watched it. I didn't grow up with christmas and have 0 emotional attachment to anything to do with it so christmassy stuff is neutral at best and irritating at worst, but new years is much more relatable. Now that I think about it it would have been especially off to do a christmas special given that Yaz might not celebrate it either. I do think it was a scheduling thing that made them change it but I actually think new years is a much better holiday for the show to celebrate.