Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Channeling C.Bakes in that top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Has this episode of Graham Norton aired yet? Or is this just a tease for it?

edit: It has. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0blqj2g/the-graham-norton-show-series-24-episode-1

I just need to find a stream available in the US.

edit edit: Found one. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ufa31

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 1, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SiKboy posted:

I'm always slightly surpised how often, when blue sky thinking doctor who concepts, people accidentally reinvent "the Curse of the Fatal Death".

that was the joke thanks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Somewhat Who-related

https://twitter.com/RichardEGrant/status/1046489498723516417

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unfortunately, almost none of that Graham Norton episode was about Jodie Whitaker. Basically, the clip posted earlier was the best part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m delighted to see the coat still fits, although I thought it had been sold at auction years ago...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I finally watched Withnail & I just this last week and this makes me extremely happy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

First page of this thread had some quality Hartnell gifs and a funny Jodie Whitaker clip, we're getting off to a great start here. Looking forward to this season.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Here we go, time to celebrate the new thread with a Forktoss Classic!

I've also made a monstrous, high-res archival version you can grab here.

That's right... DOUBLE Hartnell action!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

After The War posted:

Not seen: Robot Doctor Who looking nothing like the First Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

His last series was easily the best since Smith's first series

I rate season 8 a little higher than season 10, but the first half of season 10 is absolutely incredible and peaks with Oxygen which is phenomenal.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi yes hello I need something to listen to at work and the gym please recommend me your top tier big finish picks thanks

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A year ago, the review thread got derailed by a PC fuckup. Did it ever catch up the rest of the way?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hi yes hello I need something to listen to at work and the gym please recommend me your top tier big finish picks thanks

"Sympathy for the Devil" followed by "Masters of War." David Warner is now your Work and Gym Doctor. You're welcome.

But, we do need something to keep us busy for the rest of the week, so... what kind of Doctor Who do you like? Favorite Doctors/stories/tone/themes?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

For working out? The Church and the Crown. The Fifth Doctor meets The Three Musketeers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

A year ago, the review thread got derailed by a PC fuckup. Did it ever catch up the rest of the way?

I finished up my side of things at least, but just posted them in these threads.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If you want something extraordinarily pleasant to listen to, I recommend 6th Doctor story Year of the Pig. For something that feels very akin to his era, the early 7th Doctor story The Fearmonger or the later RED I'd recommend. For the 8th Doctor, Chimes of Midnight is great, though my favorite is Scherzo (which is loving WEIRD and probably needs a less active listening atmosphere than the gym). If you want a bit of a laugh, try 5th Doctor story The Kingmaker.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

Here we go, time to celebrate the new thread with a Forktoss Classic!

I've also made a monstrous, high-res archival version you can grab here.

And so my archives are complete, thanks so much! You're a regular Philip Morris.

(And wow is it ever clear why I didn't use that tablet again!)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CobiWann posted:

For working out? The Church and the Crown. The Fifth Doctor meets The Three Musketeers.

One of my favorite audio stories. This one is really good.

Jerusalem posted:

If you want a bit of a laugh, try 5th Doctor story The Kingmaker.

This one is also really fun and a great listen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh yeah, The Kingmaker is great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1047056390626451457

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

After The War posted:

I believe (and I've used up all my pre-commute research time to find that Hartnell GIF, so I won't be able to source the quote) that he's said he prefers not to step into long-running roles and would rather play new characters that he's free to interpret on his own. If anyone can find it, I'll save it this time, I promise!

Sure, but with The Doctor you get to do just that! :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dig her regular costume, but I have to say the Capaldi wardrobe really, really suits her.

Same deal when she wore the hoody for the reveal trailer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also Americans don't forget, it will be simulcast in the afternoon on

so we can all livepost internationally!

CobiWann posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

This new Doctor...they have a YORKSHIRE accent?!? The show has been ruined forever. Again!

If only we had a wiki entry for "Times Doctor Who Was Ruined Forever" to add this to. :sigh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Astroman posted:

Do we know if that will be true every week? Or just for the premiere?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Astroman posted:

If only we had a wiki entry for "Times Doctor Who Was Ruined Forever" to add this to. :sigh:

there's not a lot of things I support every wiki picking up from the transformers wiki, but that is in fact one of them

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lunatic Sledge posted:

there's not a lot of things I support every wiki picking up from the transformers wiki, but that is in fact one of them

There was once a timeline where we had this, but it was lost in The Great Time War:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180318013639/http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com:80/wiki/Times_Doctor_Who_Was_Ruined_Forever

quote:

21/12/1963 – Silly robot monsters introduced into informative historical series. Doctor Who dies.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know if that will be true every week? Or just for the premiere?

Just the premier - it will air normally at 8 eastern.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rewatching The Power of Three in preparation for the Ch.era. Its the debut of Kate Stewart ^-^! Also, "science leads" reference which is echoed in the 50th. I heard on the Radio Free Skaro latest episode that this episode isn't so good because of the end? i'm half way through and its pretty cool so far. a very relaxed chill vibe. There is space and little moments. Which will be cool to see. I always felt the 12th Doc was rather neurotic (especially in the beginning). It'll be cool to see the 13th's atmosphere as more open. There is also this neat scene in power of three where the doctor muses to Amy about how quickly life goes by and how he appreciates every moment of it :3 "I am running to you and Rory before you fade from me."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1047501580155670528

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only 10? poo poo, in 5 years the season are gonna be Luther length.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Needed a good cry so I just watched 10s regen, the ending of Heaven Sent, The ending of the Husbands of River Song and 12s regen. Feels good.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Rhyno posted:

Only 10? poo poo, in 5 years the season are gonna be Luther length.

I’ll trade the extra 2-3 episodes a year if they could just do 1 series per year consistently.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Shadow of the Scourge is the height of the medium and I absolutely will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lampsacus posted:

Rewatching The Power of Three in preparation for the Ch.era. Its the debut of Kate Stewart ^-^! Also, "science leads" reference which is echoed in the 50th. I heard on the Radio Free Skaro latest episode that this episode isn't so good because of the end? i'm half way through and its pretty cool so far. a very relaxed chill vibe. There is space and little moments. Which will be cool to see. I always felt the 12th Doc was rather neurotic (especially in the beginning). It'll be cool to see the 13th's atmosphere as more open. There is also this neat scene in power of three where the doctor muses to Amy about how quickly life goes by and how he appreciates every moment of it :3 "I am running to you and Rory before you fade from me."
I really like it until the last act which is just a disappointing let down. It's not a disaster but it could have been a lot better.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Spikeguy posted:

Needed a good cry so I just watched 10s regen, the ending of Heaven Sent, The ending of the Husbands of River Song and 12s regen. Feels good.

Sorry you needed a good cry however glad you feel better! :glomp:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Power of Three starts really well and then the back half kind of goes off on its own thing and then just sorta... ends.

Edit: I do have to say I love the idea of a slow invasion. I wish that had paid off a little better.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 4, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I literally can't remember the back-half of Power of Three, and I've seen it at least twice. The beginning, where Matt Smith is trying to figure out how not to stay bored staying in one place forever, is great, and Rory's Dad was always fun.

42 is a quality episode of Doctor Who, though, in terms of balancing the whimsy and the more maudlin aspects of the show, and I sort of expect it's more the direction Chibnall's writing will take. That this first season seems to be all stand-alone episodes means it'll be more fun, monster-of-the-week kind of stuff and a little less dire and serious. The huge amount of fresh talent and, if the reviews are any indication (spoiled just in case, although no plot spoilers here) the increased production values will do some of the heavy lifting.

Three more days, right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Three more days, right?

Correct
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1047833746039328768

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I had this saved on my phone. Sorry it's so tiny, I don't know where i got the image from originally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don’t think that meme is being used correctly.