Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This is some goddamn excellent Doctor Who.

I'm fully in love with 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Owns.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

This whole thing feels like it's going to be the Hunt for the TARDIS most of the season and I sincerely hope each place they teleport to becomes increasingly more contrived and ridiculous.

Trapped in the past, The Doctor finds herself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong and hoping each time that her next leap will be the leap home.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

spog posted:

At the very real risk of being 'that guy', did the new screwdriver design remind any other viewers of something else?

Welcome to your first SA Doctor Who Thread, you incredibly observant goon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I love it when Doctor Who introduces a villain that's creepy (wears his victims teeth in his loving face) but isn't afraid to lighten the mood up a bit at its expense (...Tim Shaw??)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I meant to repost this before the episode aired, but now is good too.

I've watched this video probably 12 times since it was posted. :smith:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Could be worse. Over in another forum they're complaining about the "unrealistic coincidence" of Yaz and Ryan knowing each other, his grandma being on the train that gets hit, and the Doctor happening to show up just in time to save them.

I mean, do folks not know how stories work? "It's like somebody made this whole thing up, wrote a script and had people act it out!"

What are the chances of anything in any given episode of Who actually happening? What an asinine complaint.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Plus, as an gay myself, I have to point out to straight people who never realise this, but you never stop coming out. It's never a once and done deal. You have to continually come out to every person to whom it might be relevant, and honestly it's exhausting.

Did you check with SA forums member Safeword on if this was a suitably unrandom moment to mention this? If not, then you're a poorly written character.

Barry Foster posted:

Tim Shaw was just a standard, boring sounding name, it wasn't a reference to anything else

:thejoke:*

*not directed at you

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

As high regard as everyone (including me, obv) holds The Eleventh Hour, I don't think I've ever seen anyone demand the return of the Atraxi.

So yeah.

Regardless, the Atraxi are smart enough to not ever come back like 11 suggested.

corn in the bible posted:

no love 4 martha

That's ok, she's got Mickey.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So has anyone figured out when the Rosa Parks episode is gonna be?

Will she be a companion?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 11, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Love that 12's affection for hoodies transitioned to 13's hooded coat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Was 12 their Rockabilly phase?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I still love Capaldi rolling into the Dalek control room in Davros' chair, the Daleks physically recoil, and him saying,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" :xd:

So good.

When I think of 12 I think two things.

That.

And him rolling in literally playing his theme song on guitar atop of a tank.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"You've redecorated...."

*looks around*

"I really like it!"

:allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Guys, it gave her a cracker to eat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jodie points her sonic like she's been doing it all her life. She's got that stance on lock.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

She knew the TARDIS showed up once every 1000 rotations.

It wasn't there when she got there. Meaning, it'll be there in another 1000 rotations.

They only survived the spooby bed sheets because they had a combination of fire + gas in the swamps they were in.

How were they going to survive however many nights of spooby bed sheets it takes for the TARDIS to rematerialize? So I don't blame the Doctor for being a little bit forlorn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The only thing I'm not digging about Jodie is her "DRAMATIC POSE" every time she uses the sonic.

I'm exactly the opposite in opinion. Her sonic pose is right on loving point.

But what a weird thing to be critical of though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lets be honest though, since around 11 it's been the sci-fi equivalent of a magic wand.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

I like how in two episodes, the Thirteen's already used the Sonic more than Twelve did his entire run

Did you count times 12 used his sonic shades?

Also, it was probably a conscious effort to reduce how much the Doctor relied on his sonic since 11's was practically an extension of himself.

And he also might have been compensating for something, since Regeneration is a lottery.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welcome to Doctor Who, where fans will laugh and complain loudly when the show over explains things to them while also missing the things that get explained.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"Oi! That's vandalism we're going to have to pay for that!"

"Don't worry! Special pen!"

"No! Pack it in! You ain't Banksy!"

"...or am I?" :ninja:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dude, those were actually really great looking computer-generated giant spiders.

I say dude now! :haw:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

11 always tried to be cool.

12 was always cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

The Radio Free Skaro guys made a really good observation that it's really a good thing for the Doctor to hammer that point home. It's letting the companions give informed consent to the hazards of traveling. The Tim Shaw situation happened such that the companions (and Grace) just got swept up in the middle of things, and the events of Ghost Monument and Rosa (the former very heavily so) were not adventures embarked on by choice; the scene at the end of Arachnids, on the other hand, is the companions proactively saying "yes, let's keep traveling together"

Contrast this to the end of Rose where the Doctor just says "hey this ship goes anywhere....and anywhen" and off Rose goes into mortal peril. Companions are frequently either A) swept off without knowing that's what's gonna happen (see: Ian and Barbara for the earliest examples), or B) promised "let's go see the universe, it'll be fun!"

Scenario B is usually justified by way of saying the Doctor and co. have plenty of non hazardous adventures between televised episodes...but that's not what we see on TV. The stories we actually see are almost universally fraught with mortal peril. It's honestly kinda refreshing to have the Doctor really solidly emphasize that.

To your specific point, yeah this group of companions probably knows the risks better than others would...but it's still nice to know the companions have been able to offer informed consent to the dangers of being Team TARDIS.

Ya, I thought it was cool and refreshing that 13 had the crew sign a verbal contract that they're about to embark on some fun but also, more than likely, some really loving dangerous and incredibly hosed up adventures.

Compared to the fairy-tale style promise of all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will etc.

Like she can pull the lever and fly the TARDIS almost anywhere at anytime, sure but if that thing wants to it can and will take them into the very pits of Hell because the Doctor's needed there.

"Sign here and here and here.....ok, now that I'm not liable for you not coming back the same at all, wanna pull the switch together?" :imunfunny:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That Pting was so happy to have that explosion go off in its stomach and then get jettisoned into the coldness of space. :allears:

edit: also the music in this episode was real good.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 5, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is "the great Earth hero Avocado Pit" supposed to mean something?

What do your hearts tell you?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The cast, writers, and directors are all doing fantastic things with Doctor Who at the moment and this last episode pretty much cemented that. Regardless of how the rest of the episodes turn out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

As usual, the official DW Facebook page continues to be the go to place for the worst fans to make their voices heard amongst the general fandom.

Remember when being unable to hide behind a veil of anonymity was enough to keep people like that from commenting?

Even after Demons of Punjab, the show apparently has the worst script writing ever. Moffat is now haralded as a God Emperor compared to Chib. Everything positive that this new incarnation of the show is trying to say is taken as a negative and the very fact that it's a New Years Special instead of a Christmas Special is the sign to them that Doctor Who is a show with a political and religious agenda.

Where's 11 when we need him? Reboot the Universe, because this one is hosed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harlock posted:

This feels weird to say but I dont even know if the Daleks would even mesh with the atmosphere and tone of this Doctor.

EXTERMIN--

WAIT.

YOU. ARE. NOT. MY. DOC-TOOOOR!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oops looks like I walked into a Facebook Doctor Who discussion instead of a dead gay internet forums thread.

:yikes:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy I get to be That One Guy Who Likes a Bad Episode :neckbeard:

Sorry, you're not alone. I'm right there with you.

This episode had me at the fez all the way until the strange look Graham gave the bubble wrap at the end.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Going all in on the blue/orange is probably the worst thing about it, right after the salt lamp crystal aesthetic

It's good actually. The contrasting colors are nice.

But like Terry Grunthouse just mentioned nothing tops 12's TARDIS interior. It took the great things about 11's late stage interior and made it better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, it's the best one ever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How many times did 13 say it wasn't Satan or Witches that episode.

That's the most any Doctor has had to repeat themself, drat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That has got to be the crown jewel episode of the season, right? Or am I just a terrible Doctor Who fan who ate that episode up.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can someone make a gif of 13 walking away and blowing a kiss to the universe frog?

Loved that moment now that it has context from the clip we saw in the many teasers leading to this series. The urge to change my avatar to that is strong as hell.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It is really funny when Yas says about the Solitract, "You've literally never said that word before" or whatever, it's like the script is becoming self-aware of the exposition dump issue (it hasn't bothered me as much as it's bothered some others, I don't know, it just kind of works for me given the material most of the time).

This kind of came up in Kerblam.

DOCTOR: Ah, it's the Kerblam man!
YASMIN: It's the what?
DOCTOR: The Kerblam man.
GRAHAM: You're just making sounds now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Shaggy: Gosh, Scoob! That werewolf sure is spooky!
K-9: Master, my scans indicate that it is actually old man Wilson, the carnival owner, wearing a mask purchased at the Halloween store.
Shaggy: Oh, shut up, K-9!

Just lol if you don't think Shaggy would be stoked that K-9 figured out the mystery so quickly that it would him more time to munch out on carnival food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Overall, this series was what I had feared: bland and unmemorable.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

I'll always remember the episodes: The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Rosa, Demons of Punjab, It Takes You Away.

I'll remember the awesomeness of the companions, especially Graham.

I'll remember Tim Shaw, the Ptang, the ridiculous King James, and the Solitract Frog.

The series being bland is your opinion though, of course.