Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

York_M_Chan posted:

I was watching some of the Clara eps during the marathon and had literally no memory of most of the episodes. I loved Capaldi but not the stories.

It could be like when Romana burned through her regenerations like she was just trying on different outfits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxnbP0ZV96A

She did no such thing. She was using the residual energies to try new things and if the Doctor wasn’t Sigma and paid more attention at school s/he’d know how. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hi yes hello I need something to listen to at work and the gym please recommend me your top tier big finish picks thanks

Shadow of the Scourge is the height of the medium and I absolutely will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo our plane touches down in Hawaii 12PST today imma see a lady doctor

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"Hullo, I just crashed through the ceiling and am apparently female? Also, you're all in terrible danger."

Jodie took about five seconds to settle into the role :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
One thing: Thirteen said she had family but they're gone. What happened to Susan :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
This whole thing feels like it's going to be the Hunt for the TARDIS most of the season and I sincerely hope each place they teleport to becomes increasingly more contrived and ridiculous.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

Trapped in the past, The Doctor finds herself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong and hoping each time that her next leap will be the leap home.

The Doctor never made it h—

*checks previous regeneration*

oh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
What the... we’re not agreeing on this episode at ALL! What is going on!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

p good imo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how did she survive the fall into the train? the doctor's been killed mid-regeneration before, and a fall from that height should totally have done it. in this essay

Ten crashed through a ceiling and landed from a pretty good height on his last/penultimate (I forget which) episode. They can survive longer in the vacuum of space and without oxygen, so I want to say Time Lords are tough enough to survive long falls in certain ways but, well, Four. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nodosaur posted:

I imagine it fell under the "first 24 hours of regeneration" clause.

If there's one thing Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror have taught me, it's that Time Lords are vulnerable to falls, asphyxiation, shocks from DaleksControllers, drowning, radiation poisoning, and pushing the "R" key on your keyboard.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Something that struck me about the entire thing: I had zero problems seeing Whittaker as anything except the Doctor from the second she came through the ceiling, but when someone at the end said "Doctor" and she looked up to answer them, it was still really disorientating for me.

And it was great :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shadow of the Scourge :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

corn in the bible posted:

I have only listened to like eight or nine big finishes ever so really any recommendations are good. I've basically heard, uh, the monthly range from storm warning to chimes of midnight and that's it. I like Charley and 8 together, they seem fun. That also does include Colditz, which was rad as hell. Maybe I'll just start from the beginning and listen to everything in order lol

gfd shadow of the scourge is fun and witty why is everyone laughing at me about it :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really don’t care how gloomy it is if it dispenses a free biscuit every time it dematerializes. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

10: We have a plan!
General: What plan?
11: To be honest, it's quite a terrible one!

I imagine the General was very annoyed to waste time on obvious statements in a time of crisis

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

docbeard posted:

I don't recall if it was that specific but it was definitely called out as Gallifreyan technology.

They specifically said it was a Matrix slice, yeah.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Listening to Jubilee and goddamn it's so loving good

Ehh it’s no shadow of the scourge

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 20, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lucie Bleedin Miller is canon as 'ell

Go on then. Let’s ‘ave a laugh.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

If you had any more tawdry quirks, you could open up a tawdry quirk shop :rolleyes:

YOU DIE STUPID THATS WHY IT’S THE REAL WORLD

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

"Oi! That's vandalism we're going to have to pay for that!"

"Don't worry! Special pen!"

"No! Pack it in! You ain't Banksy!"

"...or am I?" :ninja:

“Bet Banksy doesn’t have one of those. ....... OR DO I???”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

You're not alone. I've heard and read opinions ranging from "Worse than The Twin Dilemma" to "best of the season thus far." I'd go so far as to call it Chibnall's best Who episode (as a solo writer, at least).

So from negative infinity to 1. Got it. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Fantastic episode, but the “What is that?” “SCIENCE!” almost made me pause the episode because I couldn’t stop laughing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Astroman posted:

Yeah, like for me maybe the bar is just low, but I never have needed to have any Doctor do a certain thing for me to be "a-ha, yes, THIS is the Doctor!" I pretty much just accept them all right away, and so far they've all been good. :shrug:

Splendid chaps and lasses, all of them :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy I get to be That One Guy Who Likes a Bad Episode :neckbeard:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Lots of people really liked this episode! They posted about it in this thread! I was one of them!

You know, it has been awhile since we've had a good old fashioned,"How come EVERYBODY hates/loves this episode?" thing happen.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not having a go at you at all Chokes, I'm just remembering that this used to be a pretty common occurrence.

Nah no sweat. I thought this was my Twin Dilemma moment though :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

An episode cliffhanger is,"I'm going to rape Erimem!" and then they spend like the first 3 minutes of the next episode with one character saying how disgusting what the would-be rapist did to Erimem was, before he reveals the "happy" news that nah he just beat the utter poo poo out of her when she made it too difficult for him to rape her.

That character ends up getting the happiest ending too!

Oh my God that story is so loving awful.

Edit: On the plus side, I believe it was this story(?) where Peter Davison told Big Finish that if they ever let that guy write a story again he'd quit?

Wait, is this the one where the Doctor gets his head chopped off and comes back to life later because ~reasons~

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

The very same

Yeah ok I remember this one and it was not good

“The Doctor is really for reals dead and they’re eating his severed head” is not something that should be used as a cliffhanger, let alone the one for episode 2

Especially not for Five

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah they lit it up far better than they did on the reveal and that helps, though I still am underwhelmed by it.

I still laugh when I think about 11 wandering about in the console one night inbetween distinct adventures with Clara and River and deciding,"I'll get the Kerblam! Man to bring me a new Fez!" and then complete forgetting about it for roughly 800 years.

Fish stick benders are nothing to laugh at. You take it and it’s suddenly five hours later and you find out you bought a Type 94

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I don’t care what anyone says, the Third Grandma is still my favorite.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Finally saw the episode. I still like Demons of the Punjab better, but that was some sweet, classic Who style fun. It was just WEIRD. The little moth cave un-universe with the Gaimanesque barterer guy and his balloon lantern, the frog universe friend, the whole literally through the looking Glass thing. I couldn't deal with it every week, but it's great to just engage in some trippy fantasy.

The actual Graham and Ryan moment was nice too, and I actually didn't think it felt too forced when Ryan called him grandad, just like we all knew he was eventually going to do. :unsmith:

I don't know what to expect from the finale, but I hope it takes some risks.

Graham’s going to find his pocket watch, which is odd, because he doesn’t remember owning a pocket watch...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

I got excited when they posted a trailer for an X-mas special with Rory and Amy in it, and thought "oh cool the new Doctor and Companions are going to meet with older ones!" then realized that one was from a few years ago. That just shows how little of an impact the X-mas specials have had on me.

The only ones I really remember is the very first one, and then the one that lead to Capaldi.

Why does no one remember The Snowmen? That’s probably my favorite Eleven episode hands down.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Four? Five? Six? Why not ALL of them? :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ither posted:

This episode was easily the best of the season, which sort of makes me mad.

Did they just expend all their time and budget on this and leave the rest with scraps?

I kind of feel like all the scripts this season were made for Insert Doctor Here instead of Jodie and it's pretty hard to screw up "The Doctor Hates Daleks."

That being said, the Doctor finding out UNIT had been defunded and reacting with "oh come ON :mad:", for whatever reason, is when Thirteen finally clicked for me fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I want the TARDIS crew to get increasingly larger every episode until all of Cardiff comes pouring out of it with a matching band and parade next series finale