Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Holy balls is that a list :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's a great Who episode, not overdoing it but putting some important elements down. The sound design was brilliant, that ambient white noisy panning thing quite inspired. Of course it's Chibnall so someone has to die, he racked up 4 or 5?

But more importantly, *excited squeaks* it's the Doctor! I detect a bit of the Tennant doctor there, the enthusiasm and verbal sidebars particularly, and I hope that the mad scientist Doctor is going to be a thing. Now the waiting for another week.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I thought it was impressive that she tried to explain what regenerating felt like, even if it was to companions who still needed way more background before even having that conversation. Not some "gazing off into the distance speaking of incomprehensible things" explanation, but a "this is a big life event and I'm still getting my head around it" explanation that's enough for Now and not Later. It's stuck with me because it seems odd that it's taken this many doctors to arrive at such a description.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

why couldn't it be "follow the butterflies"?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

When the guy pulled the gun on Yaz it annoyed me that she didn't say she was a police officer.

I was waiting for that reveal and it never happened. Also the way the spiders were disposed of with a convenient deux ex machina didn't enthuse me either. But in terms of character development, it was a good episode.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll be in the tardish if anywun wants me!

This last episode cements the repositioning of the Doctor from the whizz-bang knowitall to the engaging explorer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Oops looks like I walked into a Facebook Doctor Who discussion instead of a dead gay internet forums thread.

:yikes:

LOL ikr. Stop strawmanning dr who into your own personal morality vehicle, nerds, she isn't a magic space alien fixit for your dumb society. It can kill innocent characters in a hamfisted attempt at drama, its not the Sun Makers with an evil space weevil to blame.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

You do not understand the term "strawmanning," nor do you seem to have any inkling of the history of Doctor Who as fiction.

Oh no my evil plan is undone :allears:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

You're doing some hard work trying to be more obnoxious with a one-liner and the all ears emoticon, but you're not going to top using the word "strawmanning" as a way to describe the interpretation or criticism of media, a clear sign that you have absorbed all of your thinking about arguments by context on the internet and that you use logical fallacies as some kind of weird meme instead of ever spending the five minutes it would take to learn what terms actually mean before uttering them.

Curses, foiled again by an internet hero. Whatever shall I do, LOL.

Bicyclops posted:

Actually, you will find that the majority of people are actually discussing levels upon which the episode succeeded and failed, in particular with Kerblam! (and Rosa - on this very page!). People who think it works or that it doesn't, when both episodes are political, use words and paragraphs to describe portions of the episode that were good or bad, but as is virtually always the case, the "You people on the outrage brigade only have two settings" complainers are, ironically, the ones who only go to 0 or 11. The two settings are "Reasonable adults disagree on politics, but I'm not willing to discuss the details, at all, stop thinking that you're right all the time" or "That episode was too preachy."

I think you'll find that no one cares how you think nerd discussions about scifi entertainment should be organised, and you might want to take a deep breath and wonder why it makes you so mad.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

How many episodes of the show pre-Chibnall show things that way? There's some Troughton-era stories, sure, although there's also the Dominators. Happiness Patrol claims that you can talk snipers out of shooting people and that the jackbooted thugs will all switch sides bloodlessly, and that's about as revolutionary as the show gets. Even Oxygen can only tell us that social progress occurs, it can't show us, and does it matter if things get bad again later on? You can punch Hitler but you can't stop the Holocaust.

There's a clear argument being made across the current series about social progress. You can hate the argument (and some ITT seem to), but it's sophisticated compared with evil being defeated by the world's faith in Doctor Jesus Who. Or the show not even addressing the issue.

Another one is The Sun Makers, where humans took orders and implemented a murderous corporate regime from a piece of seaweed masquerading as a humanoid. The revolutionarys are ineffective working-class brutes who clearly need the help of their betters with the Doctor as catalyst to action. Their bloody revolution is allowed to succeed just in time for the Doctor to unmask the seaweed and they all lived happily ever after.

The absolute cynicism of this tale along with a barely-concealed class snobbery is difficult to top but at least for once Leela got a good storyline. Nevertheless, the strong hint that humanity was doomed without the Doctor's help lingers over the plot. The processes of control, bureaucratic as well as technological are no less awful for being limited to the imagination of the 1970s than those of the current crop, so in that sense nothing has changed except the props and the cultural references. It doesn't bother with social progress because it doesn't believe in the concept. But at least the revolution came, right?

Compared to that, this episode (and era) of Who is a massive improvement, despite the wonky plot and the pointless death, because it champions ordinary people, encourages social progress, and refuses to give pat solutions.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graham wasn't a bad ham himself, he's getting some of the choicest shade-throwing I've seen in a Who episode. I'm afraid though that if you want deep and meaningful monsters you've come to the wrong place, this is Doctor Who Monster-of-the-week Baker-era style. There has to be a trade-off somewhere. I don't really care, these are the most involved companions for many a year and I'm far more interested in their story.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scenery-chewing is one of the joys of Doctor Who, you can go full panto with the right part. My all-time favourite (who isn't Brian Blessed) is Iain Cuthbertson in The Ribos Operation, ably fed by Nigel Plaskitt as his offsider. It's practically Shakespearean, and the scenes with Tom are a study in competitive props-eating contests.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

That was a fun episode but a really basic (and irritating) historical error snuck through - James VI & I was never helped out of some witchcraft bother in Berwick, it was North Berwick which is 40 odd miles North of Berwick (AKA Berwick-on-Tweed, usually shortened to Berwick which is never done with North Berwick).

You ever think sometimes that maybe a place doesn't need to be saddled with a witchcraft story and it might be more considerate to fudge the detail?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

*Are you maybe confused because the episode was set in a made up place? I'm complaining about James referring in the episode to a previous witch problem, that historically actually happened, where the writer confused Berwick** (most northern town in England) for North Berwick (40 miles north of Berwick and in Scotland).

I was just suggesting an alternative theory about why it might have been deliberately confused. No biggie if you want to decide it's an error you're irritated about, it made no difference to me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's been such a pleasure to watch a series arc based on companions, and not magic pixie companions but real people. It's definitely something we've missed in Doctor Who for a long time and didn't know we missed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Poor Yaz, finally gets some me time with the Doc and all the fans can talk about are Graham and Ryan.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gravastars posted:

My main complaint is the slow and drab build-up. This was something Moffat excelled at because he always managed to make these kind of 'context' scenes interesting. Compare, for example, the build-up in A Good Man Goes to War or The Wedding of River Song to this episode's flat, voice-over exposition and weird title cards.

I think if anything Chibnall's approach has confirmed just how Michael Bay-ish Moffat was getting, I don't get whiplash from illogical contexts jumbled together under foghorn-loud "dramatic" music, nor am I as disappointed with the core story. It's not perfect but it comes a lot closer towards a more classic Doctor, and I won't look that gift horse in the mouth.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I might be mistaken in this claim, but in reflection that was a Dalek story that we've been told about but never had turned into a proper story - over and again we hear how devious and dangerous Daleks are, even without their nasty metal suits, and how one living Dalek stranded without any resources is still a top-tierthreat... but this is the first time we've been show a Dalek in action that way!

That's actually a great point, we got new Dalek lore, something I did not expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TinTower posted:

One of the best Scenes We'd Like to See from Mock the Week was Frankie Boyle's "THIS POEM IS CALLED DAFFODILS. EXTERMINATE DAFFODILS!" Dalek poetry reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUqsZlDErg&t=1377s