Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Stabbatical posted:

Karl kicks Tim Shaw off of the crane after his DNA-bombs have backfired, Robertson shoots the spider when it's already dying from its size, and King James tries to "burn the witch" after it's clear that the Morax is being driven away. I guess that's a recurring theme in this series.

I like that all of the instances of this have been, while the same result, for totally different reasons. Karl attacks Tim Shaw mostly out of self-defense. With Robertson he genuinely doesn't give a poo poo and just wants to kill the giant spider, it's more bravado than any legitimate reasoning. And with King James it's ingrained beliefs (both religious and sexist) leading to him refusing to acknowledge any other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Grouchio posted:

Why am I hearing of terribly mixed audience reviews of season 11? I had thought that Whittaker was doing a great job.
And there's rumors of Chibnall and Whittaker getting axed!?

:thunk:

Those rumors are totally baseless. Especially because Whittaker's been a really successful Doctor ratings-wise. I think they're mostly just shared around by people who wanted another white dude as the Doctor.

And I think one thing that's throwing longstanding fans off that you might not always see is that we're used to an overarching narrative that isn't really there. All through the revival Who seasons have had tangible things to grab on to as a through-line; all of the many Bad Wolves. A lot of those weren't very good, and even Moffat seemed to be easing off on them with Capaldi's run, but this is the first time there really just isn't one. That means every episode's stood more or less by itself (and I think they do just fine with that personally), but we've been trained to expect its presence, and the fact it's not there means a lot of people don't really know how to handle that.

I don't think that's the only reason, but I think that does factor in.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's disappointing that the high point of this series has been Alan Cumming hamming it the gently caress up (although he was really good at it), and I hope the next one is better.

Demons of the Punjab wasn't the high point? I'll grant, it's a very different kind of high point but I'd say it stands taller than Alan Cummings.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Didn't they specifically say that this was stricken from the history books, largely so King James could save face?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Action Jacktion posted:

That one felt like the script had been rewritten so much it just turned out nonsensical. They really should've done more with the company gaining sentience (aside from killing someone for no reason). The endpoint of corporations being people is one of them not liking the way it's run and turning against the execs.

I do kinda wish we'd instead gotten a story of 'corporation becomes person, turns out to be a better person than the people running it'. That just seems like a really fun idea.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

One thing I will say about this season is that I really enjoy the subdued synthy soundtracks, particularly some of the stuff in Rosa. It’s a nice change from the bombastic orchestral stuff from the last 10 seasons.

I don't usually buy soundtracks. But I'll buy this season's if they let me!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

Ed Hime for showrunner I guess, whoever he is.

His IMDB is a weird gulf; it's two episodes of Skins, and then It Takes You Away. But that's because most of his career between those two points has been writing plays and radio dramas. And I don't think it surprises anyone that this episode is written by someone who writes for the stage; you could basically do this entire thing with a single stage and some clever set design.

As much as I love both Rosa and Demons of the Punjab, yeah, this has to be my favorite of the season. Those two would be great stories in entirely different shows, but It Takes You Away is something that could only be a great episode of Doctor Who. And it does so well at it without leaning on any of the crutches of Doctor Who.

...and I may have to compare some notes between this and something I once wrote about a literal mirror universe, because I swear I've written this before!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

eke out posted:

yeah I rather liked that scene - you could see some of that harsh pragmatism shine through in 13, but moderated in a way to try not to needlessly upset someone

It's one of those moments that would be done different by every Doctor, especially in the revival, which I love. Twelve would've just said it, Eleven probably would've lied very loudly to himself and everyone else. Thirteen, though, is playing it very delicately, using the concrete facts she already has to do what she thinks is the right thing... only for the whole plan to stumble because she didn't manage to factor in the human element quite right.

The only revival Doctor I can imagine doing largely the same things would be Ten, and even then, he'd probably only do the same things on the surface; I feel like his underlying logic and reasoning would be entirely different for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Weirdly, while I did love Homestuck, the frog reminded me much more of Dead Like Me. Probably because of the actual frog used as much as the 'totally mundane form for an ancient fairytale creature' part.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Avalerion posted:

Otherwise this ep was fine but I’m missing some kind of underlying arch tying all these episodes together.

The arc's more of an emotional one than a material 'Things Happening' arc; we've been seeing Ryan and (to a greater extent) Graham grappling with the loss of Grace, Graham and Ryan growing closer and being more willing to consider each other family, and Yaz learning to appreciate her own family even if they're occasionally weirdos. I'd also guess that they might be trying to make a thing out of 'Yaz proving herself a good police officer, using skills not often highlighted or congratulated by actual police work'.

There's also been the ongoing theme of 'the bad alien isn't actually bad, just misunderstood' and to a lesser degree 'humans keep trying to kill a monster that's no longer dangerous or perhaps never was' (I think you might be able to stretch Kerblam into being part of that trend, too). Hard to say what that means, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm already bored of people talking poo poo about Chibnall's showrunning, so I'm gonna say something I would've liked them to go harder on this episode.

There was a trend in the episode of tiny little threads from other episodes coming back to be part of the finale, which would've actually been great if they went all the way with it. We had Tim Shaw back, the Doctor called on some tricks from the Ghost Monument, and the planets were located through the telepathic circuits from Demons of the Punjab, but surely they could've done a little more, just as one-liners that came back. It would've been hard for some, but not all of them...

-Make some mention of Krasko's 'crime by butterfly effect' strategy with Tim Shaw's plan. It'd be a bit weird, but he took whole planets out of orbit, that's bound to have hosed with some poo poo.
-Revive a plan from Arachnids in the UK, maybe the vibrational bait. It'd be a reach, but I'm okay with a reach if the rest works.
-I got no idea on the Tsuranga Conundrum or the Witchfinders, but I feel like the pieces are there somewhere.
-It's not TARDIS Technobabble that teleports the planets back in place: it's Kerblam tech. I actually thought they were going through with that one.
-With both the Solitract and the Ux being really old stories that the Doctor's really into, there's surely a connection there somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

As it stands, it was an okay episode, not great, but would've been elevated considerably with just having a fun centerpiece Thing to it, and having some fun linking in disparate parts of every other episode in the season could've been that. As it is, it's an 'eh' episode that had the room to be more, but not really the pieces to make more out of.

I do want to point out a little thing I noticed and appreciated, though: in The Woman Who Fell To Earth, he's credited as Tim Shaw. This time, he's credited as Tzen Sha. I like that in a metatextual sort of elevation thing; he's no longer an absolute joke, so the credits aren't making fun of him anymore.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 10, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Edward Mass posted:

Well, that was...something. It's clear that Chibnall wanted Tzim-Sha to be a thing, which is a problem when because Tim's kind of one-dimensional (tooth-faced predator!).

Honestly, if it were Krasko instead, we'd have a much more interesting story. He's not much more complicated, but he is much less cartoonish and would have a more interesting resulting plan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, my only issue with the 'early 2020' is if it's actually going to be late enough to be considered 'mid 2020'.

Because, taking away actual year markers, let's say they hit February, which is by no means unreasonable. Because this series was October spanning to December, it actually means without specials Who's only been off for 14 months, and that's not actually that bad. In fact, that's a smaller break than we had between series 10 and 11, since 10 ended on the 1st of July last year. This only feels bigger because of the new year separating them, and the end-of-year special being really close to the start of that Who-less stretch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Atlantic has a hot take about the season, that the doctor's helplessness this season is an intended statement about systematic sexism. Not sure I buy it.

Most of the scripts were written before the Doctor was known to be a woman, and it appeared that only The Witchfinders was considerably edited with that fact in mind afterward. Doesn't check out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Season 11 reads like I write, you guys don't want me to be showrunner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

It was brought up in It Takes You Away and Battle of Krankie Bang Boom if memory serves.

And in Kerblam.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor saying no is such a loving amazing moment.

Often overshadowed in the immediate aftermath of his rescue is how he goes from cheekily laughing at the Daleks as they blast ineffectively at the TARDIS to stepping inside and just pausing for a moment as the utter horror and despair of knowing it was all for nothing (the Time War) and the Daleks survived sinks in. It's time for a hot and controversial take, but I think Christopher Eccleston might be a pretty good actor!

Honestly, there's some impressive skill all over the place in making that episode work as well as it does. The concept is perhaps one of the most ridiculous things the revival's ever tried to pull off, but god drat does it pull it off.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like how the Doctor has not only ignored this, but now puts the TARDIS in flight with occupants inside each time they regenerate.

“If I’m going, you’re all going out with me!”

I feel like this is the Doctor actively trying to gently caress over their next incarnation like this now.

Twelve set up Thirteen that she straight up fell out of the TARDIS in flight, that's just a dick move.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I mean mostly you don't want to shoot Daleks because that's never actually solved a Dalek problem in the history of ever, but you know, keep on strawmanning.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mameluke posted:

Whithouse also wrote Vampires of Venice, which I've always thought was unfairly maligned. It's a bog-standard monster of the week episode, yes, but it's so well executed. It's got decent effects, takes great advantage of the Croatian vacatian the production team took, and Helen McCrory hams it up well. Plus it has the Doctor bursting out of a cake.

The ability to write a solid 'standard, not special, standalone' episode of a show is on the whole underappreciated these days. Serialized is all well and good, but as someone who's been stuck watching cable TV at my family's place this past week I've started to really appreciate just being able to sit down and tune into a random episode that doesn't have any required foreknowledge or even any real idea when it was shot. There's a lot less focus on making that these days.

It's something I think this latest season will do well in. They all stand almost totally alone, so you can just sit down and watch one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
That's probably one of my favorite episodes of the season, and almost definitely my favorite New-Who Dalek story (depending on if Doomsday counts). It's always felt hard to make a Dalek story feel impactful these days, because the Daleks themselves are such a known quantity that aren't taken seriously anymore, but this one definitely proved there's still the ability to make one scary, you just have to get clever with it.

Echoing the love for Scrap Heap Dalek, but I do want to say that a lot of the episode, especially after it turned up, felt really seventies to me for some reason. The outdoor lighting, the way its action scenes were shot, the way the GCHQ title was written, the inside of the GCHQ itself, it all reminded me specifically of suspenseful 70s sci-fi films, and I kinda loved that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

I think it was a good idea to give the Dalek a different voice filter at the begining to make it sound a bit less ridiculous, but to bring back the Nick Briggs classic for the big confrontation.

I actually think it might've been the same voice filter, but either turned down or Briggs was speaking into it far differently. You can definitely hear the Classic Dalek when it starts getting shouty, so it's in there somewhere.